Dodge or Jeep?

Hello all,
I'm gonna be getting a new Truck in a few months and I can't decide between the 2 I have it down to.
2017 Dodge Durango RT
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 TrailHawk or Overland.

The Jeeps have so many different versions I really don't know which one to pick other then what Options I want.
Important to me is the following options on either
Hemi , I need it Yes I need it.
Good handling package, like sport mode.
Roof Option, I will never buy or lease another vehicle without one meaning sunroof
Tow Hitch 2 inch, I mountain bike ride and my bike carrier is a 2 inch collector.
Snow White paint
Black out package.
8.4 U connect premium Stereo package
Heated Seats and steering wheel

Thats it, anything else one of them come with I'm cool with it.

I Drove the Durango RT and man that thing is fun to drive. It's a drivers SUV and thats what I'm all about. I could care less about fuel economy and all that crap, I've been doing that for years now and I've been totally un happy with my decisions due to it. So this time F it, I'm getting something manly with some BALLS.

The Jeep is beautiful I looked at the ones at the Auto Show and man they are very nice. Slighty smaller then the Durango but a nicer Interior. The Black stained wood really got me. The seats are very comfortable and I love the way the Grand Cherokee Looks. It's pretty bad **** if you ask me.

I know in history both companies have had their share of issues with transmission and electrical issues but nothing on the market moves me like they do.
The Porsche Cayman and the B&W X5M I like but they get out of my price range. The Jeep SRT is slighty more then what I want to spend but man if I could do it, I just might grab one. That thing is serious and exactly what I would love to have.

I'm considering used which I'm not really a fan of going that route but If I found a very clean low mileage Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT in White with a black out kit , Tow Hitch and a roof option, I might strongly go for it.

But reality tells me I'll be un happy with a used vehicle and nothing short of brand new is going to do. It would basically have to be perfect or I'm out.

What do you guys think of the Durango RT and the Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V8? Same Engine 360 HP
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,752
    The JGC SRT8 is total bada$$, but with that comes $$maintanace. ..like brakes, tires, etc. If I had to throw down for a new SUV the SRT would be hard to pass up.

Other than that, if you're not hauling 5+ people on a regular basis, or don't need extra towing capacity, I would opt for the Grand Cherokee.

Nicer interior, better on gas even though you don't care about that...well refined IMO.
  • The Jeep overland has my vote. The gc has been a great SUV for a long time. The overland is awesome and looks much more classy compared to the dodge imo.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • My best friend special ordered a white JGC SRT8 in 2015. I swear he has that thing in the shop every other week for one problem or another. He spent close to $80k on it with an extended warranty. I just don't get it! The big 3 have dropped the ball for years now and thats why I went Lexus and haven't looked back. Just ask [noosinjohn] here, I think he works for a Dodge dealer. I've had my 14 Lexus for 2 years now and haven't been back to the dealer once for a repair.
  • Lexus suv's are not cool though.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Lexus suv's are not cool though.

Your right but, it's not cool having your new ride in the shop all the time either!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Reliability and resale value go hand in hand. You might be able to get a SRT lightly used by someone who only drove it for their fun car that was meticulously maintained. And with their poor resale value ,you could save some serious coin. $20-30 K off new price would not be uncommon for a two year old Dodge/Jeep. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2017
    If you must have either, the Grand Cherokee has much better resale value. Good chance you will want to part with it long before you get your monies worth out of it. Dabutcher also offers good advice.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    The Jeep absolutely has a nicer looking interior. The Dashboard is sweet.
    Dan
  • mantis
    I wonder if the Jeep will handle as good as the Durango RT did. That thing drove like a sports car. I couldn't believe the handling. I'm so use to the sloppy mess my 2014 Pathfinder is.
    The 2014 Pathfinder is horrible. I really haven't been happy with it since a few months after owning it and really got a good feel for it.
    Test drives don't tell hardly any of the story of owning a vehicle. Having it day to day and getting it into the situations you normally are in really tell the story.
    I find the 2014 Pathfinder to be a waste of the Pathfinder name. It's not a Pathfinder at all other then the badge.
    Dan
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Sounds to me like what you really want is the Durango RT. It is better tuned for on road performance than any of the other versions Chrysler uses for that platform. The SRT is overkill and over priced for your purpose in my view. I would recommend buying new with an extended warranty or leasing and dumping it once it starts to fall apart. Every Chrysler product I have experienced over the last 35 years has been bottom feeder in build quality, engineering, durability, and resale value. They do look nice at first though! You could get lucky on the reliability end because Chrysler has had this platform out now for six years and they have worked out most of the known problems including the ones that kill people.
  • The more suited a vehicle is for off road the more it is going to have compromised on road handling.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Toyota 4runner. Not exactly the same category, but an extremely reliable and capable/roomy vehicle. American made vehicles just aren't what they used to be, that pains me to say. I would have stuck with American had the reliability been there. Nothing but good things to say about my American made 2016 Toyota Tacoma
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    Go Chevy or GMC... I see way too many problems with mopar products. I work as a service advisor at a CJDR dealer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • My 2016 Colorado has been awesome. No issues so at all. The new upcoming traverse is based on the same platform. Going to get on for the wife. The new chevy's are very good.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Go Chevy or GMC... I see way too many problems with mopar products. I work as a service advisor at a CJDR dealer.
    Says it all right there...
  • That makes since...I doubt many take their chevy's to the dodge dealership B)
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2017
    He wants something cool. That's why.

The Jeep is excellent, there is a srt version also.
  • Go Chevy or GMC... I see way too many problems with mopar products. I work as a service advisor at a CJDR dealer.

Agree!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Toyota builds more cars in the USA than any other automaker. Peace
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,752
    Since we've strayed a little from mopar.....I would personally request that you drive the Tahoe before you make your final decision.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I'm confused...neither of those are "trucks"...
    Jeep....dodge....no difference. Avoid.

Good luck!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I'm confused...neither of those are "trucks"...

Good luck!

Agreed.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    As I mentioned before, I'm on my second Durango (both Citadel's) and my brother is on his second Durango (now RT). Absolutely fantastic vehicle! I put over 90000 on my first one and only changed the tires. No other problems. When I originally looked at the differences between the Jeep and Dodge the big difference to me was the size. The Durango, I believe is 8" - 1' longer and you can tell the difference in the back cargo area. We do a lot of travelling and hauling a lot of stuff and this was a significant difference. Styling is personal preference and I prefer the Dodge interior and exterior. If you go leather make sure you get the heated and cooled seats + the heated steering wheel. At first I didn't care about having this feature but it is a great. When you remote start it, below 30 degrees the seats and steering wheel heat up and above 80 degrees the seats cool. In the winter, I don't wear gloves so when I get in the car and grab the steering wheel my whole body warms up....nice!

As far as how it drives, I've never been in an SUV that drives better IMO.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    gmcman wrote: »
    Since we've strayed a little from mopar.....I would personally request that you drive the Tahoe before you make your final decision.

I previously owned a Tahoe and my sister in-law has one now. These drive more like a truck than a sporty SUV. Plus the Tahoe starts about 20000 more with half the features.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    We have a 2014 Jeep GC Summit and honestly, it is 4823942308209340892308942390 times better than my BMW ever was. Maintenance has been simple oil changes and a set of tires. It is coming due for brakes soon.

Otherwise, there have been 2 recalls on it that our dealer resolved in less than a day each.

It has been very trouble free. And it does everything we need it to do...comfortable for days on end travel, great highway manners, handles off road duties well (I have a friend who lives above Boulder at ~10k feet and there is a 6 miles long stretch of unmaintained road that leads to his house). It tows well (my brother's 30ft pontoon boat, a 27' travel trailer, a car trailer with a couple of pallets of lumber). I use a hitch hauler for my dirtbike with it and it will comfortably carry 5 people and luggage.

Of course, I have a friend who had nothing but problems with his 2013 Overland. Constantly at the dealer for issues. He ultimately had Chrysler buy it back and moved on to a Honda.

I have driven the SRT8 and while fun, the only things it offers over our Summit is the "track" mode and more power. But with the Hemi in the Summit and ~$11k installed, I can add a Ripp Supercharger, maintain the warranty and hand the stock SRT8 its **** and still be $20k under the base price of an SRT8.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    You couldn't have picked two more unreliable brands. Between the two I'd take the Dodge.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee and it has been the best SUV I have ever had. And I have had a lot in 48 years of driving. It has been rock solid with nothing but oil changes necessary. I have the off road package with the adjustable air suspension and can take it pretty much anywhere I want to take it. With Blizzak snow tires on it in the winter it has been unstoppable in the snow. I haven't owned or driven a Durango, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a GC if the slightly smaller size didn't matter to you. And I agree, the Grand Cherokees look much cooler than the Dodge!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • mantis
    Any issues with the Durango RT?
    Dan
  • mantis
    Thorton wrote: »
    As I mentioned before, I'm on my second Durango (both Citadel's) and my brother is on his second Durango (now RT). Absolutely fantastic vehicle! I put over 90000 on my first one and only changed the tires. No other problems. When I originally looked at the differences between the Jeep and Dodge the big difference to me was the size. The Durango, I believe is 8" - 1' longer and you can tell the difference in the back cargo area. We do a lot of travelling and hauling a lot of stuff and this was a significant difference. Styling is personal preference and I prefer the Dodge interior and exterior. If you go leather make sure you get the heated and cooled seats + the heated steering wheel. At first I didn't care about having this feature but it is a great. When you remote start it, below 30 degrees the seats and steering wheel heat up and above 80 degrees the seats cool. In the winter, I don't wear gloves so when I get in the car and grab the steering wheel my whole body warms up....nice!

As far as how it drives, I've never been in an SUV that drives better IMO.
    Are you rocking a v8 or the v6?
    Dan