Game of Thrones

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2016
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'd rather have 10 quality episodes of anything over 25 crappy ones. ;) Too much goes into shooting one of these episodes to do 25 me thinks.

Just goes to show quality TV is yearned for big time.

I agree about quality TV. I think that HBO, starting with The Sopranos, has advanced the quality of what's available 10 times over. Without the success they had with it, there would not be a GoT, The Wire or maybe even some of the shows like Breaking Bad.

It proved that if you have good writing, acting and storylines, people will watch. They don't have to play down to us as much as most network shows used to do.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    They could do 25 quality shows a year if they wanted to, its all about milking it.
  • dromunds
    At least they could do a two-hour first and last show of the year. Lol
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I heard EACH episode costs around $6-10 million to make due to CGI and the huge sets. 25 episodes at that cost....ouch!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • dromunds
    How much do they make on each episode?
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Kind of hard doing more when only two guys are writing it.
  • codycatalist
    dromunds wrote: »
    How much do they make on each episode?

That's the real question.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • chumlie
    They get my money for HBO and Blu-rays every season.
  • codycatalist
    I'm thankful to piggy back on someone else's account.

• dromunds
    I should probably just be thankful there's anything that's worth watching....... It's about the only thing I watch anymore... and The Vikings which is in hiatus currently.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    The only creative thing coming out of Holyweird is this and the other Comic book themed shows. Which really isn't originated there. Holyweird has lost all it's creativity in my book based on the constant reboots of good films/shows. JMHO of course.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I should probably just be thankful there's anything that's worth watching....... It's about the only thing I watch anymore... and The Vikings which is in hiatus currently.

Vikings would be even better if it was on HBO and probably wouldn't exist except for Game of Thrones being on HBO and drawing large audiences.

HBO is part of Time Warner, and they are mainly interested in getting and keeping cable and streaming subscribers as well as selling their content. They need great programming to do that without commercials supporting HBO. The cost of production for Game of Thrones is a drop in the bucket for them, but it's not really possible to say how much profit Game of Thrones brings in by itself because it is a small part of the massive business.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    2nd half of the extended season coming later this year!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dromunds
    Westmassguy: I understood a second half of season coming, do you know when? Thanks.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I've read July, but nothing firm. It was also renewed for Season 5, 20 episodes.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dromunds
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Was having lunch on 5/22 at a Deli in downtown Chapel Hill. The place has glass all along the front with tables next to it. As I walked past to go in I saw this guy sitting there with a woman and child and thought, that looks like . . . naaaah, can't be. When I walked in and sat down I did a double take . . . I had lunch next to Tyrion/ Peter Dinklage. I wanted to get a pic, but he seemed to need quiet family time. Would have been good to have one with him to go with Tywin B)
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Jimbo18
    Awesome that you got to see him in the flesh, and very cool that you didn't bother him when he was with his family. Great actor who I have always admired.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    He's working on a movie in North Carolina that will be titled "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" next year.
  • dromunds
    So, there are three episodes left this season. What's gonna happen next? I was surprised by the result of the Sparrow/Lannister showdown. Who will the High Sparrow bring in to the fold next? We've seen a lot of Bran lately but what about Jon and Sansa's trip, who if any will they bring into the fold? Is Bran's uncle "magical" now? And, of course the ultimate question, in what fashion will Ramsey die?
  • chumlie
    Four Left this season. Who says Ramsey will die ?
  • dromunds
    Yes, four episodes left what was I thinking? And maybe Ramsey won't die, since he's universally hated. At least not this year. But I kinda think he may.
  • dromunds
    Swearingen didn't last long. Sort of a pity, he's a great actor. Good episode. Wonder what's up for Arya after that shanking? Will the faceless man save her? The actors?
  • dromunds
    Anybody see the T-shirts that say: "Hero's don't wear capes - They hold the door." And of course, there's a picture of Hodor on the shirt holding back the door.
  • chumlie
    Or get there heads chopped off.
  • dromunds
    Or come back as walkers. Wait a minute.....
  • dromunds
    I gotta go back and watch Season 3 again. I don't really remember this Beric guy and I need to see that whole business with the Hound in Season 3 again also. The next episode of Thrones will be something.
  • Jimbo18
    Looks like an awesome confrontation coming up. I hate to see the season end, it's had it's highs and lows but overall it was entertaining.
  • dromunds
    Yeah, even an episode like last night was better than anything else on television. I had a little trouble with how fast Arya recovered from the shanking, and I didn't quite get why the troops betrayed Blackfish so quickly, but like you said, one hates to see the season coming to a close, waiting a year bites the big lebowski....
  • chumlie
    I doubt they were in a big hurry to die with Blackfish. Much better offer with the actual Lord of River Run.