George Grand

Comments

• simm
    simm Posts: 562
    What a shock. Thoughts and prayers to George's family. RIP.
  • GDP
    GDP Posts: 27
    Sad day, RIP GG.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    Damn, George. Not certain how a heart that big got stuffed in a body that small. I only met him a couple times in person, but it's taken me a few minutes sitting here staring into space to write this post. He was a good man. I know some of you guys were pretty tight with him, and I'm sincerely sorry for your loss.

May your pillow be forever preserved in Brylcreem, my friend.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    RIP George. Always enjoyed reading his posts. My vinyl collection grew thanks to him.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    This is very sad news. I got to meet George last year when I picked up the ugliest receiver ever (his words) at his place.

My heart goes out to his family.
    R.I.P. George
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    So sorry to hear. RIP George and my condolences to the Grand family. I was on the old forum back in the day, late 90's and remember all the threads with George's posts which were insightful to say the least. Having been absent on the Polk forum for a number of years until recently, it's good to see some of the oldies still around; and with that I did wonder whatever happened to George. Regret not being able to meet George in person, he will be missed.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I always meant to stop by when rollin' down the Tpk to B-more or C-ville... but never managed to find the time :- (
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    Mr. George Grand, what a great name, was one of my favorite posters. Don't remember but I'm sure he replied to some of my stupid posts.

Prayers lifted for you Mr. Grand and family.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Sad to hear. Thoughts and prayers are with his family
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    RIP George. We will pray for his family & friends. Sad day
    Randy/Maine
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Sad day for the Polk forum, especially the old guard, which lost a charter member. I’ve only been here around a year, but read for several years before joining, many great people here. I had a couple of PM’s with GG. He always seemed like a tell it like it is, no-nonsense, down-to-earth guy that I would have truly enjoyed meeting. Never got a chance to buy any of his vinyl. RIP George, thank you for being you. Prayers said.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    George will be missed, it is a rare thing the meet someone with as many good qualities as this man had, if you think i am overstating, I would say you never met him. Rest in peace
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • hewlew1
    hewlew1 Posts: 154
    I visited George at his home a few times over the years to purchase various pieces of audio equipment. The last was in October after my return from Carverfest. He seemed like his normal self and I had no indication of the extent of his illness. I am truly saddened by this news and my condolences go out to his family and friends. Dear Lord Please take care of George the way George took care of us! Till we meet again my friend.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    RIP George..Prayers for you and your family.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I've been watching the forum off and on throughout the day. I never had the pleasure of meeting or interacting with George, but I sure wish I had. When I saw this post early this morning, somehow, even before I read all the stories you guys have been posting throughout the day, recognizing the name, I felt saddened and affected by this news, and the board just wasn't the same today. So great to see everyone celebrating George with the stories and laughs. What a character.

Rest in peace, George. Wish I had a chance to know you like some of these other guys did.
    I disabled signatures.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    What a bummer. Loved his sense of humor, and his no none sense way of life. RIP George.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I am deeply saddened to learn of George's passing. I had the good fortune to meet and talk with George at length during several Polk Fests. I bought a lot of vinyl from George and he always threw in something extra.

He was a kind and generous man to many. He had his "Bozo" list and could be a little testy but he had a big heart and was a true gentleman.

He will be missed by many. I pray for his wife, daughter and family. God Bless George Grand!!!

RIP
    Carl

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I am very sorry to hear this. I had a chance to meet him a couple times and he was unique. Prayers and thoughts to his family.

RIP

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited April 2016
    Ouch. This hurts. I loved George's pithy commentary on topics of all natures, but what sticks with me was the strength of his love for his daughter, Tiffany, who passed away in October of 2005.

I had slightly gotten to know George (via electronic communication) though his vinyl-selling/fundraising for the Githens Center. I happened to express my belated condolences to George on the anniversary of Tiffany's passing--He then filled me in with a note that illuminated to me what a father's love for a daughter can be. It was very moving and from that point forward I knew enough about George to know that he was a fine, fine man.

In light of the cruel news of his passing, I can find comfort in the thought of George being reunited with Tiffany.

Godspeed, George.

Edit: THIS THREAD will give you some insight into this side of George. (Many of you are already in the know).
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'm in a tough spot with money right now, long story, but I'd like to at least give something. Does anybody know how to donate money to the place he sold the records for?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm in a tough spot with money right now, long story, but I'd like to at least give something. Does anybody know how to donate money to the place he sold the records for?

From an old post from Troy (BDT) under his former screen-name:
    TroyD wrote: »

If you would like to make a donation in Tiff's memory this is the place:

The Githens Center for the Handicapped
    40 Cedar Street
    Mt. Holly, NJ 08060

BDT

Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    So Sorry to hear. I liked George. Prayers sent for family and friends.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I just realized something, and it's really strange....just this past weekend I was thinking about George, and the time we talked about him coming out some time to tour Bisbee. I'm not one to embrace "forewarnings" or telepathy or any of that sillyness, but the coincidence is interesting.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    msg wrote: »
    I've been watching the forum off and on throughout the day. I never had the pleasure of meeting or interacting with George, but I sure wish I had. When I saw this post early this morning, somehow, even before I read all the stories you guys have been posting throughout the day, recognizing the name, I felt saddened and affected by this news, and the board just wasn't the same today. So great to see everyone celebrating George with the stories and laughs. What a character.

Rest in peace, George. Wish I had a chance to know you like some of these other guys did.

Well said, I feel the same way...

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I've been working around the clock for seems like about a week and haven't checked in at all for a few days, and I see this! I'm stunned. I had a lot a dealings with George and without exception he was a true and impeccable gentleman. This one hurts. RIP and prayers to his family.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    George will be missed. He was one of the first people I talked to on this site. I was afraid something was going wrong when he started getting rid of a bunch of his vintage stuff last year. RIP George.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    madmax wrote: »
    George will be missed. He was one of the first people I talked to on this site. I was afraid something was going wrong when he started getting rid of a bunch of his vintage stuff last year. RIP George.

Same here. I have a special George Grand sourced LP shelf which I'll appreciate even more. Must be more than a hundred on there. RIP George.

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    Very sad indeed. George was one of the early members at Audiokarma going back to 2002. Love him or hate him, George was George.
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    RIP George you were a class act one of a kind
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    RIP. Prayers and positive thoughts out to the mans family. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”