Building a pair of Polk Monitor 10's

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    All I can say is let me know if you decide to build an experimental pair of cabinets for SDA 2Bs. I will happily test them out for you... B)

Like it is with most trades, it sure pays to have the right tools. Beautiful work there.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    willwilly wrote: »
    18gfgmt6kate.jpg
    Oh my......the contrast looks great!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    F1nut wrote: »
    deucekazoo wrote: »
    I like to keep it simple and see the wood without stains and color.

Me too, I don't like using stain and it drives me nut when people stain hard wood.
    Let the natural color come out.

Sorry, but nothing makes the grain of wood pop like a dye and a film coat. New walnut is cold, it needs to be warmed up.

The type of finish has everything to do with how the wood looks and I am not talking about stain. I once ruined (well not ruined but not the look I was going for) a pre-amp box I made. I used Bloodwood and maple for the box. At that time I did not know finishes too well and used a poly to finish it. The blood wood turned brown. If you know Bloodwood it has a nice deep red to it.
    From this

twvlox1wzaqd.jpg

To this

ylbqyi4ms83x.jpg

Same wood, different finishes.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    While true that the type of finish and the sheen have an effect on the final appearance, it's not everything. Poly should not have caused that to happen. What brand, wiping or brush, how old was it?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• willwilly
    willwilly Posts: 185
    deucekazoo wrote: »
    I like to keep it simple and see the wood without stains and color.

Me too, I don't like using stain and it drives me nut when people stain hard wood.
    Let the natural color come out.

Sorry, but nothing makes the grain of wood pop like a dye and a film coat. New walnut is cold, it needs to be warmed up.

To each their own... walnut can be a bit cold but to that point almost any wood grain can be a bit harsh... With the right dye and film coat you can make poplar pop...

Will I am
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    While true that the type of finish and the sheen have an effect on the final appearance, it's not everything. Poly should not have caused that to happen. What brand, wiping or brush, how old was it?

Not sure about the brand name but it was a quality brand, not a no brand name from Walmart. It was a brush on and I think it was water based.
    I know what you are saying, I was not expecting that color either. I just know certain finishes go deep into the wood to bring out the beauty. I never had Walnut look cold.

Now back to speaker building. Let see some more pictures.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • F1nut
    I think it was water based.

There's the problem. Water borne finishes have gotten better, but still aren't there. Not unlike fluorescent compared to incandescent lighting. I do not use water borne finishes, won't even consider them.
    I never had Walnut look cold.

The walnut in willwilly's pics is cold.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Will, I would be remiss if I didn't say your craftsmanship is top notch.

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,636
    edited March 2016
    I

The walnut in willwilly's pics is cold.

Somehow that is offensive...
  • willwilly
    Well a bit of bad news, using one of my MW6503'S in the shop to test fit holes several times, being passed around with visitors... even having the JB weld treatment on the top plate, the driver locked up.

I see the logic in the JB weld technique, but make sure you do it on the top and bottom side of the magnet... Mine were done on just the top edge of the magnet.

So if anyone has a good 6503 laying around, I'm interested.

I have yet to abandoned a resemblance of a budget, or I would buy four new drivers.

Thanks in advance.
    Will I am
  • willwilly
    So while I'm waiting for the last coat to dry, this is a sample I put together of 1" MDF. I have been researching vinyl wraps to see what is available. These wraps can be pricey, and make any wood worker gag, but...for a speaker, handled properly, vinyl may be an acceptable option. Did I say that out loud.
    8w5384l1br1b.jpg
    lgiy9t5hjmnu.jpg

Will I am
  • willwilly
    This reminds me of bloodwood.
    Will I am
  • willwilly
    edited April 2016
    This is my Garage system. I using two 5jrs' and 4's. I'll be using a Denon AVR5700 to drive my 10's.
    m9pjrbpjveoj.jpg
    Will I am
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,495
    This reminds me of bloodwood.

I link to the vinyl product would be nice.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • willwilly
    edited April 2016
    Ebay is where I bought mine

vvividvinyl.com
    Will I am
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Max treble on the receiver, max treble on the EQ, holy cr ap you like a lot of high end.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    And with the Loudness maxed out. UGH!

President of Club Polk

• willwilly
    Somehow I knew I was in for it posting a picture of my system...
    Will I am
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Those 10's are no longer garage worthy

And they deserve a new gear family
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042

Might I suggest a pair of Klipsch on Emotiva gear? ;)

All things aside, I agree with Skip.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    edited April 2016
    DSkip wrote: »

I

There is some relevance to the comments, but it's only because we want everyone to achieve maximum enjoyment. If you are there, don't fret.

Just some are more apt to Criticize than Advise! But that aside. Exemplary workmanship! I've enjoyed following your thread,looking forward to seeing the finished pair! Btw if your interested in starting another project,yesterday in the for sale section GEPPY1 listed a selection of parts for sda2b's that are definitely worthy of your level of craftsmanship,,,[upgraded crossovers and tweets- worth consideration]
    Post edited by notified on
  • willwilly
    I'll take a look. Thanks!
    Will I am
  • willwilly
    I don't know if this is proper but it is a great deal easier than painting MDF.
    One complement I have for this forum is the high res pictures. You can zoom up on these and see the most minute detail. I see things in the pictures I don't see, even with my glasses on.
    cyysjffcybw4.jpg
    Will I am
  • willwilly
    edited April 2016
    Weak, old plastic with new seal bends and one hole cracked. Larry's ring for the crossover?
    t3mky00j2p6w.jpg
    Will I am
  • willwilly
    edited April 2016
    The next discussion will be Monitor 7's. I have most of the parts. These will most likely get new drivers and RDO 198's. I have original crossovers that will get new caps, and a original pair of PR's.

Look at me throwing around speaker talk like I know what I'm doing...

Off to the fabric store for polyfill. I feel so uncomfortable in that store...
    gd627km6cd6s.jpg
    Will I am
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    The next discussion will be Monitor 7's. I have most of the parts. These will most likely get new drivers and RDO 198's. I have original crossovers that will get new caps, and a original pair of PR's.

Look at me throwing around speaker talk like I know what I'm doing...

Off to the fabric store for polyfill. I feel so uncomfortable in that store...
    gd627km6cd6s.jpg
    If they have bonded Dacron, it will work better than Polyfil. It's what Polk used originally.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • willwilly
    No Bonded Dacron, 2" Polyfill...
    ha38bs5b9btl.jpg

A roll sitting behind the tweeter, and just a few staples to hold it in place...

lfdzmto8e203.jpg
    Will I am
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Stock M10'S do not have Dacron in the PR compartment. Also it is rolled up behind the mids.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • willwilly
    Stock M10'S do not have Dacron in the PR compartment. Also it is rolled up behind the mids.
    Really, I have plenty of fill.
    Will I am