Building a pair of Polk Monitor 10's

Comments

• willwillywillwilly Posts: 185
    edited March 2016
    Original spec state 28x16x11.5. This depth includes the grill which is 1/2" MDF. Perfict.

Thanks again for measuring. I'm adding 1/2" since I'm using 1" MDF front and back to keep the same volume.

I haven't decided if I'm going to compensate for the decreased volume by rounding all the interior corners.

I also haven't decided if I'm rounding the corners or use a 45 degree gusset? Round takes a router/shaper bit that I don't own.
    Will I am
    Gottcha, I may skip the filling of the corners. That gets off the original plan of making a clone and adding gusseting just creates another question. Then the solution to the volume change sets up another question, which axis do you add the volume, or is it all three?

Arrrg!
    Will I am
    edited March 2016
    I'm pre-fitting the components in my crossovers. I'm planning on using 3M foam tape to secure the caps, both top and bottom on the first tier.

Instead of using a disc of press board, I'm going to use scrap polk driver boards and 1 1/4" steel risers that will fit in the originals.

I also re-purposed some clear sticky tape from polk drivers to wrap the large inductors. My old eBay drivers only had a dab of hot glue to secure the coils. I didn't do the job.

What's next?

p7h0u8ceuemw.jpg
    oxujbznyrxvk.jpg
    6fs90ryqn4wf.jpg
    Will I am
    Mess with them how?
    Will I am
    Most importantly, how much?
    Will I am
    By the way Love your profile picture!!
    Will I am
    nbrowser wrote: »

The profile picture is from the day I acquired my SDA 2 speakers which are standing proud in my listening area...and can shock and amaze people with the imaging, especially when friends learn the whole HT was off but for those two bad boys.

I have never heard a pair but always keep my open for a pair of SDA'S fixer-uppers... Very sweet!

Will I am
    edited March 2016
    Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Would love to hear them.

Here is a layman's article on the effect of steel near the inductors. I think I would be far more concerned with the driver/tweeter magnets in the vicinity of the inductors. It looks like the crossover is placed very close to the magnets in the original M10 design. Something to keep in mind.

Effect of magnetic fields are inversely proportional to distance cubed, so you don't have to get too far away to make the effects inconsequential. It would be an interesting test to compare inductance with nylon risers or with steel risers, including the screws. And with the driver in speaker then out. The steel in the cap leads could also be considered.

May make a good case to relocate the inductors someplace else.

I wonder if polk tested speakers in real world application or just followed the theoretical.

Far more than what I want to get into.

https://rennieash.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/the-effect-of-iron-on-inductance-value/
    Will I am
    Received my MW6503's

1t8a6dbg9m32.jpg
    Will I am
    rmpolk wrote: »
    If it helps I took some measurements of my 10a's with the speakers still installed,They're in [cm] for easier reading- The BLACK face board is 36.4x67cm, giving a vertical center line of 18,2 for the tweeter and PR [Note: the measurements are taken from the face board edges [not the outside cabinet edges]-the [tweeter] -from board top edge down is 9.3 to top of tweeter and to the bottom of tweeter edge is 17 -from the board [side] edge is 12.3// The [spk mids] are 1.5 from board [side] edge to the outside spk edge and 18.1 to the inside. Then again measured from the board [top] edge down are 17.4 to top of spk and 34 to spk's bottom edge [26 from board [top] down to the spk horizontal center line]// The PR is 5.6 measured from the board bottom up to the PR's bottom and 31.1 to the top and 5.5 to the board [side] and with a horizontal center of about 18.5. The tweeter used is a peerless and the measurements should be within 1.5 mm accurate,Maybe you can lay it out on some graph paper to check and make a template with your drivers altering the measurements to adjust for their flange edges,,,BTW the outside dimensions of the finished box are- [ 40.4x71.1x11cm deep ] the cabinet board thickness is 1,5cm

rmpolk took some time and posted measurements he took from his pair of M10's.
    Below are two drawings, the first in cm and the second in inches. These may not be exact but it gets me very close to the original placement of the components.

Thank rmpolk for posting. I will be using your measurements as the basis of my clones.

tp2rb1sn0np9.jpg

9xtowfv8w677.jpg

Will I am
    This is the construction drawing I will be following.

qhs4juqgb0h7.jpg

Will I am
    As far as aesthetics, the only obvious change is I may laminate the front with an Oak laminate rather than the satin black polk used. We'll have to see how that looks before making any permanent decisions...

v55h0w96jmpt.jpg
    Will I am
  • Did the coating used on the originals front baffle serve a sonic purpose?
    Now that is a good question. The only answer I can give is I have seen M10's with painted fronts and others with what appears to be a poly laminate. Did polk test all construction materials including vendor changes and process improvements or did they say that's close enough, we're making money?

I am making my cabinet from MDF, not particle board, and I'm making 1" front and back panels rather than 3/4", so I think in my build it's moot.

If polk had a sonic benefit in mind using a laminate rather than something else, i would be impressed.

Will I am
    edited March 2016
    I finished my cross overs this evening. Anything I missed?
    flbp0q1ch4ad.jpg
    Will I am
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Stick with nylon risers...the steel will mess with the inductors on the terminal cups.

nbrowser - as you can see I went with the nylon standoffs for the additional riser, but I did use the original steel standoff on the first riser. So I haven't added any additional steel but I also haven't removed any. That meets my build criteria, right or wrong.

Will I am
  • deucekazoodeucekazoo Posts: 146
    Looks good, nice an clean.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,292
    Looks good. Pretty sure those original standoffs were aluminum though.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
    You are correct, the others I bought are steel so even better. My mistake.
    Will I am
    Ready to install...
    dhdhw79xxzn0.jpg
    Will I am
    In the shop today to start cutting pieces.
    7z6p25exclyc.jpg
    Will I am
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,856
    Nice shop! 3 bandsaws?
    Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio p3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Office: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSAudio Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * Sonos * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * First Watt F5 Clone * PSAudio Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    First test hole.
    Will I am
    w6dtiohb45z8.jpg
    Will I am
    Perfect fit! Now for the real thing!
    qk5q1qaakc9i.jpg

Will I am
    Front face done.
    avdc9mqig8r9.jpg
    Will I am
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,306
    3 bandsaws is just about right. Now I'd worry if he had multiple planers.
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SRS 2, SDA 2B, SDA II,SDA 1C, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11TL, RTA 8TL, RTA 8T, LSI9 Ebony, LSI7 EBONY, LSI7 CHERRY, LSIC, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
    So Monitor 7's are suppose to be the bee's knees when it comes to the series. Let's find out. I had enough material to make a pair of 7's.
    Will I am
    qgis9xotekot.jpg
    Will I am
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 14,088
    Very impressed!!! Looks good!!!