Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh my. Very cool. B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The Mastering Labs XOs are what the big boys tended to use.
    page3.jpg
    15406378686_aa511a7d39.jpgbeatlesinstudio 2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Now, in all seriousness, I've no idea which XOs either of the above control rooms were usin' with their Duplexes :-P

There were also other monitors in use -- like the wonderful RCA LC-1As... but I won't be in a position to be affordin' a pair of those in my lifetime I don't think...

RCALC-1A%2B%2B1.jpg

Plus the refrigerator-styled RCA enclosures were real cool, man.

mzxn4tme4rwy.jpg

a.jpg

• mhardy6647
    Options
    heh - heh - heh.

Speaking of LRE...

Decided I was going to offer this one up at the Westford antique radio fleamarket this coming weekend, so I took a few photos to remember it by...

24825890553_5153a53a0f_o.jpgLR1500fgutsf by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    25426447666_a8086b3aaf_o.jpgLR1500rguts by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24825889673_1c8dea4439_o.jpgLR1500rf by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Four gang FM tuning section, three gang AM. Fairly serious piece of hardware, actually.

16377788977_4380b815a8_o.jpgLafayetteLR-1500T by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    16765659802_15346f3f96_o.jpgLRE LR1500T OM front cover by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    This is another one I'll offer up to the flea market deities. Heathkit AR-19.

25085016449_a9b01de522_o.jpgAR19 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    25426452826_c39eec5e78_o.jpgAR19fguts by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    25359678391_bbc8d8aab0_o.jpgAR19lguts by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

16569336257_72e63ef21d_o.jpgAR-19 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The AR-19 was replaced (rather quickly) with the AR-1302. I never quite understood that whole deal -- maybe some design flaw with the former that was fixed in the latter (?)

16775555482_dc449cae5a_o.jpgAR1302 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Note for these Heathkits and the LRE posted earlier, we're in the pre FTC 1974 spec requirements for home stereo equipment power output claims :- )
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    So I cleaned her up and Deoxit as best I could and hauled her over
    to a keyboard playing friends house. Plugged her in and besides
    having some stranges noises on somes channels and needing the
    pots cleaned, it was quieter than the amp he's using.
    Needless to say, he was very happy to take it off my hands. :)
    well not hi-fi per se but I just picked up this mixer amp;
    t0gbcr1zuhz9.jpg

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Well, that's a "win" then, isn't it? :- )
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I have to admit I heard the potential there and it put
    a smile on my face. Had it set on "2" and the
    Yamaha's were cranking!
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Well, that's a "win" then, isn't it? :- )

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    25446819716_8eb219ca35_b.jpg604E by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Dust, dirt, grunge and all :-P
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This might not count but it is vintage and for the time fairly HiFi. This is my dad's photo squadron, Yokota Air Base taken 1952. 2nd Photographic Squadron, Photographic and Air Charting Service. Dad is 4th from the right, front row. He would have been 21 or 22 here.

22i8yz862601.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I like the equipment! Great photograph.
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    Thanks Mark. From an A/V standpoint they had some pretty cool stuff. Any idea what the box with the angled front might be? There is not enough resolution in the original photo to zoom in far enough to get the brand name of the tape machine.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    just picked up some stuff tonight for a "all you can carry"
    price. Kenwood ka-7100, SAE P102 pre and A502 amp, Sansui A710
    Kenwood is hooked up and playing. The controls are due for a serious cleaning

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    3ufmaziox0yx.jpg
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Thanks Mark. From an A/V standpoint they had some pretty cool stuff. Any idea what the box with the angled front might be? There is not enough resolution in the original photo to zoom in far enough to get the brand name of the tape machine.

I don't know -- reminds me of a signal generator but could be most anything. I've been resisting the temptation to try to suss out the ID of the recorder ;- )
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    3ufmaziox0yx.jpg

The KA-7100 is a pretty nice amplifier -- as you probably know, it has a slightly low-rent variation of a true dual-mono power supply. It has only one power transformer, but the PT has dual secondary windings, and the entire power supply downstream of the PT is split for the two channels. Note the four P/S filter capacitors in the photo below.

11817257693_da0be04bf0_b.jpgP6280009 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Are the 'knobs' on the toggle switches on the left side of yours anodized, colored with markers, or painted? They're... interesting.

Oh, I just noticed that some of the knobs don't appear to be the originals... in fact, they look like knobs from one of the later Kenwood integrateds. Interesting.
    Here's what a bone-stock KA-7100 looked like (note the different looking knobs on the right side of the amp).

11817417304_76b11c70d2_b.jpgKA7100frontal by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

... and I am envious of those STAX earspeakers! :- )
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    I use a pair to test with. The transformer box can handle a lot of abuse that speakers can't. I have a nicer pair for real listening.
    It appears to be paint on the switch knobs. As far as the rest go, at least they match.
    It's working pretty good right now. But it's filthy inside.
    The same guy had a Sansui au-717 I missed getting by 10 minutes.
    $20 for an au-717 would of made my day.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would call using STAX electrets as bench test mules luxurious! :- ) I am now doubly envious.
    They're wonderful "earspeakers", they really are.

Yes the carpet does match the drapes... umm, I mean... the replacement knobs do all match, which is a plus. In fact, I'd say that they're more elegant looking than the rather chunky originals. The volume control knob on your KA-7100 does appear to be original, tho'.

Yes, 20 for an AU-717 would be a bit of a... scroe (as they say on a certain other hifi site).

I'd like to have an AU-717; much nicer than average SS integrated amplifier of its time. Fully "dual mono" P/S in those rascals, too. And built like a brick privy, fer shure.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    The au-717 or the au-719 are on my short list of must haves.
    I drove over there for the au717, but the ka-7100 and SAE stuff was
    certainly ok.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have a Kenwood KA-7300 which seems to have a more dual mono construction? A very nice sounding unit if ONLY it would continue to start up! lol A tech has looked at this and assures me that there is NOTHING wrong, but every time I get it back it takes longer and longer for the relays to kick in and then finally NOTHING happens and there is no sound! Don't really know what to do when the experts don't "believe" me. It sounds VERY VERY nice with my Monitor 7s-when working!

I also have a AU-517 (in the shop for its phono section) that sounds a tad "dark" by comparison. I suppose a recap is in order but that's a lot of coin and time, and few around here are willing to entertain the "fantasies" of a vintage boy or girl?

fzzoxoayjo9j.jpg
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    3ufmaziox0yx.jpg

I like the old Kenwood gear and was looking for something like this before settling with the Yamaha CA-1000 (if that can be considered settling).

There was a little bar back home in Missouri where the owner would paint switches and buttons on the audio gear so the employees knew which buttons to touch and which ones to leave alone. The place did great deli food at lunch and half the time we would go in and there would be no music. The little lady would have not been paying attention and hit the button next to the power button and would not be able to figure it out.

Painting the power on button Red made it easy for her.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    You need to learn to use a DMM, cnh! :- )

Something's definitely not right -- possibly a power supply issue (generally the delay 'waits' for stabilization of proper operating voltages), could be a tired component in the amplifier circuitry (capacitor, resistor, or an 'active' component, i.e., transistor/IC), but maybe as simple as the relay(s) is/are failing.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    The protection boards sometimes have issues- or there's issues with the power supply voltage- a quick trip to audiokarma will yield common issues with
    those units. Those guys have a lot of crash and burn with old gear.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    +1000 AK is a fantastic site with excellent tech help.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited March 2016
    Options

Cnh who is your tech now ? I heard Pete wasnt open OR was only taking appt now ???? Electronics & More did my rt909 & he said he rather not work on anything that wasnt band related. He told me Sansui & Pioneers he would do for me. Its getting hard to find audio techs up here

Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nikko & Kg3's6uhfqz11ncy9.jpeg
    u3vnthxl0kqm.jpeg
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Interesting and uncommon integrated amplifier. I've never seen nor heard one.
  • boston1450
    Options
    Gonna give it a try tomorrow. Ive heard the receivers & to me they sound kind between Onkyo & Pioneer vintage. Not too bad imo. Small 22wpc i think
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Picked up another 2252 Marantz also with the balance slider also. Not the B. Gonna try the Klipsch on the Nikko then the Marantz. Kinda hoping the Nikko does well. Its small in size & perfect for the area i need to fill
    Randy/Maine
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    I had a Nikko receiver many moons ago. My dad loved it's FM reception. Don't remember what ever happened to it.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    The Marantz 2252 is a pretty good receiver. I also had a Nikko receiver
    for a while, also good. My guess they both have good sound, but different
    in how they get there. You'll end up keeping both!!!