This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Options

Comments

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    Yes it is. The DA-A10
    I had it modified slightly. It now has it own power switch, one set of 5 way binding posts (the original speaker terminals really sucked) and a IEC socket. Plus a bunch of caps were replaced. All done by AVnerdguy in MN. I sent it to him and he did a great job. We've been internet buddies now for years.

Super cool/good all around guy
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    0xw6cgfg9i69.jpg

....and yes it's dusty LOL
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Those are some big caps!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Those are pretty serious pieces of hardware -- the Mitsubishi components of that era were and to some extent still are sort of neglected relative to bigger names -- but their tuners, tuner-preamps, preamps and power amplifiers were some pretty serious hardware that also sounded (sounds) good.

I suspect that's a good match for the Bostons.

Sorry to out you on the dust, Pumpkinman! ;- )
    'twasn't my intent.

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Those are some big caps!

That's what she said...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    well not hi-fi per se but I just picked up this mixer amp;
    t0gbcr1zuhz9.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yeah, and where is that "Neil Young" guy today, huh?

;- )
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I believe that Neil is thinking of joining Tim Leary (already in the other dimension) in his search for Intelligent life because there is NONE on earth? They'll be tapping their feet to PONO tunes soon! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited February 2016
    Options
    here it is home. Not sure what I'm going to do w/ it.
    I'm ready for the next flash Polka rave! (guess you can't post Polk-a!)
    quiknhhnhjd3.jpg
    7oyzlpnmfgio.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I fired it up without. Looks and smells nice!
    Helpful masking tape notes.
    "don't turn up past 7"
    "channel 6 dead"
    "Hi Impedence Input only!"
    snp1jl3tus3m.jpg
    a8zg351zqvr3.jpg
    e0uk633s4d94.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    smells nice?!?

Like smoke? cigarette or --
    And that cigarette you're smokin'
    Don't scare me half to death
    Now, open up the window, sucker, let me catch my breath

mama told me not to come...

- Randy Newman
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You must know if anyone.
    It smells vintage like equipment should.
    (actually it doesn't smell like smoke at all!)
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    smells nice?!?

Like smoke? cigarette or --
    And that cigarette you're smokin'
    Don't scare me half to death
    Now, open up the window, sucker, let me catch my breath

mama told me not to come...

- Randy Newman

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good point.
    I do indeed-- surprised it doesn't have that "morning after night club" aroma, though.

EDIT-- I don't know what you're going to do with it, either! :-P

• mhardy6647
    Options
    oh, oh -- I know what you can do with it! Use it to displace some unwanted air in your basement, as I do with this Peavey mixer ;- )

24918504220_8c09efe248_b.jpg030 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    That Peavey reminds me of the old Peavey powered mixer we ran for practices in a garage band back in the day. The thing finally crapped out and we took it apart for the gold contacts in it. I think we ran an old Shure VocalMaster after that til we got a Mackie 1604 board.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    This one's just a preamp -- it does work, but... :-P
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Might be just right for a little garage band. :) All they need is a couple of power amps and speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2016
    Options
    not to change the subject but --another chapter from the loudspeaker reanimation chronicles... it's... FRANKEN-LX5(5)s.

From beyond the grave.

"Boston1350" (I think it was!) was the source of these -- thanks, ol' son!

I finally found a pair of more-or-less appropriate woofers for them that would - more-or-less - fit. Had to break out a few molding/reinforcing ribs in the finely crafted faceplate :-P of these little loudspeakers to get 'em in there... but... they work.

24930323020_5849c855ec_b.jpg029 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24599123883_3a87b6341c_b.jpg025 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Also had to do some in situ inductor repair on one of them. Reminded me of why I didn't go into surgery for fun and profit.

25107674442_c7a7f40f9f_b.jpg026 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

... but the end result was... OK.

25107665842_fdc4465987_b.jpg034 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    24595263144_514a59d65e_b.jpg039 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    25225916725_2f5ea251db_b.jpg038 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

072.jpg

150.jpg

(from www.radioshackcatalogs.com of course)
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    @mhardy6647 What happened to the original woofers.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• mhardy6647
    Options
    They were, apparently, kaput.
    I didn't have them.
  • pumpkinman
    Options
    Have you listened to them ?? I remember them but have never owned a pair.
    Any thoughts you'd like to share ??
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The woofer needs to be padded down some*; right now they sound good (better than the "Stereophile" review of them would lead one to believe) but very rolled off on top. The massmarket Lineaum tweeter made for R/S by Lineaum (with a thicker, sturdier membrane than a "real" Lineaum tweeter) is very insensitive. They are decent sounding tweeters, though.

optiLX5fig05.jpg

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/695ratshack/#jSyTCaj6yfJh3XMf.97

* Of course, that being said, the Stereophile curves (especially the anechoic ones, like that above) look a lot like what I'm hearing, even with the "right" woofer installed (these were the original, "Optimus" branded version, in Stereophile's case).

Speaking of Radio Shack tweeters :-/ I still think the JVC-"inspired" R/S 40-1375 planar tweeter is a very sweet sounding driver. It's pretty sensitive, too.

12289318106_b85e81f4fe_b.jpg40-1375 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    Options
    Not those exact tweeters, but I had (have; have most of) a pair of Optimus 400 speakers that use what they called a "leaf" super tweeter. It looks a lot like that. I don't have pictures at the moment, but except for the "screen", they're almost identical. Same square magnet....I think they say "7 Ohms". Anyway, they're very good sounding tweeters. I have, in the past, masqueraded as a DIY speaker builder and one time I measured the FR of these tweeters and they were impressively flat from about 4K to beyond the limits of my test setup, on-axis and up to about +/- 30 degrees. Here they are on page 18 of the '85 catalog

radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1985/
  • cnh
    edited February 2016
    Options
    022.jpg 129.6K

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jcaut wrote: »
    Not those exact tweeters, but I had (have; have most of) a pair of Optimus 400 speakers that use what they called a "leaf" super tweeter. It looks a lot like that. I don't have pictures at the moment, but except for the "screen", they're almost identical. Same square magnet....I think they say "7 Ohms". Anyway, they're very good sounding tweeters. I have, in the past, masqueraded as a DIY speaker builder and one time I measured the FR of these tweeters and they were impressively flat from about 4K to beyond the limits of my test setup, on-axis and up to about +/- 30 degrees. Here they are on page 18 of the '85 catalog

radioshackcatalogs.com/catalogs/1985/

The Optimus 400's tweeter is a notch nicer all around than the one they sold "loose". I once found a single Optimus 400 at my favorite erstwhile local emporium (that'd be the Harvard, MA town dump!); it was a little too far gone to be worth rescuing, but the tweeter did come home with me ;- )

I suspect (?!?!?) that the Optimus 400's tweeter might have been actually made by JVC -- it is much more nicely constructed (and better looking) than the 40-1375, but the latter are still very sweet sounding tweeters. I like 'em a lot.

For my part, I wouldn't mind:

1) having a pair of the Optimus 400 leaf (planar) tweeters (as opposed to just one).
    2) hearing a pair of the Optimus 400 someday. By and large, Radio Shack's "monkey coffin" loudspeaker systems were forgettable if not regrettable, but that particular model looked like it coulda been a contenda.

Thus:
    http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1985/h018.html

...and, one may hot-link the page scan's (JPGs URL using IMG tags, thus:

018.jpg

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com and http://www.alliedcatalogs.com are tremendous resources for... well... for nuts like me, at any rate!

I just wish he'd do one for LRE, too! ;- )

16326020179_ab600cc042_h.jpgScan0025 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • cnh
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have recently acquired a pair of those Mach IIs for the basement. And was a little surprised by that "dual radial superhorn", better than expected-not really a horn guy. Unfortunately I don't know what the complete package sounds like because the seller had replaced the mids with an extended range Dayton 5" speaker (I asked him if he had the original mids and if I could have them-which he produced, they need a refoam and have some unusual 1/2" felt damping squares on the back sides of the cone at quarter intervals). And the foam surround which is rotting is a little unique to me-so that's another project. They can certainly play LOUD, and that tweeter images better than expected in that somewhat smallish cab for a 15". The guy had also refoamed the 15" speakers on the wrong side, front vs. back. Not sure how much of a difference that makes. As most of us know, this cab is a little to small for the 15" in it, so it rolls off on the bottom end but since it produces tons of mid-bass and slightly lower tones it gives the illusion of wait for it...HUGE sound! lol It also plays nice at lower volumes, IMO. Not bad at all for background or work music considering. Though I hear the Mach Is are better?

We all need a party speaker in the fold, no?

Concerning the Lineaum speakers above, Mark, how DID you get the front baffle off. I have the LAST incarnation of those speakers and I can't see a way of doing that. I agree that the tweeter is somewhat insensitive, which presented a problem for me because I got these hoping to use them as surrounds in a HT because of the dipole tweeters, but you need brighter sounding tweeters for that, so this kind of defeats the purpose. In the last iteration of the speaker yellow Kevlar-like cones are used to lower the bass frequency response and increase power handling but most say that was a mistake!

gvgdue21hno4.jpg
    174.jpg 105.8K
    Post edited by cnh on

• mhardy6647
    Options
    The Mach Twos actually ain't half bad -- far superior to the execrable Mach Ones to my ear. A pair passed through my house a few years back; I was surprised by them, truth be told.

10169470926_8cc1f21ba4_b.jpgMach Two on DIY Polkstand by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

2) heh. It's trivially easy, once you know the secret (Randy shared the secret with me)!
    When you pull off the grille, note the four rubber sockets that the pegs on the grill fit into. These rubber sockets pull right out -- exposing four fine-thread screws that hold the molded plastic front baffle on :-/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm dying to know if/how @mhardy6647 beat the timing problem inherent in concentric speaks like the one he designed...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The late Doug Sax did it for us, a long time ago. MasteringLabs crossovers fix the time/phase alignment "issues" with the original Altec XO.

13296896864_08ab7ca1a2_b.jpg604Etest by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

d9fpr8uz14mo.png
    source: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29151-Mastering-Labs-Big-Red-X-over-schematic

Jeff Markwart's also done it for the Duplexes (more recently):
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/