This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Options

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2016
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Cnh who is your tech now ? I heard Pete wasnt open OR was only taking appt now ???? Electronics & More did my rt909 & he said he rather not work on anything that wasnt band related. He told me Sansui & Pioneers he would do for me. Its getting hard to find audio techs up here

I'm still with Pete. He thinks I'm nuts on that Kenwood though, otherwise he's done great work for me. It's a "gremlins" thing. I take it down, he plugs it in, relays pop, it's fine. He keeps it a couple of days. Turns it on and off, successfully a few times, puts a test or two on it, gives it back to me, I return home. Fire it up. FINE. Next day, it takes five minutes to kick on. The following day 10-15 minutes, then 30 minutes, then nada? Down to Pete again. No problems? It IS driving me nuts!

Yeah, I know, he's got a new job and only takes on a few projects. I got him to take a look at the Sansui because he knows I won't complain if it take him over a year to get to it! I've been unbelievably understanding with him and given him tons of slack. Plus, I really don't need any of these units as I have a lot of back up here! lol

But, it is a problem getting something done in a timely fashion, not sure who else is up here. Although perhaps we should take up Mark's advice above and learn to read some of those circuit diagrams, etc. Think we can handle that stuff at our age, wait, you are a bit younger than I? lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Old gear needs work to be reliable.
    Recapping is a good thing to restore the gear
    to a daily driver.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Cnh who is your tech now ? I heard Pete wasnt open OR was only taking appt now ???? Electronics & More did my rt909 & he said he rather not work on anything that wasnt band related. He told me Sansui & Pioneers he would do for me. Its getting hard to find audio techs up here

I'm still with Pete. He thinks I'm nuts on that Kenwood though, otherwise he's done great work for me. It's a "gremlins" thing. I take it down, he plugs it in, relays pop, it's fine. He keeps it a couple of days. Turns it on and off, successfully a few times, puts a test or two on it, gives it back to me, I return home. Fire it up. FINE. Next day, it takes five minutes to kick on. The following day 10-15 minutes, then 30 minutes, then nada? Down to Pete again. No problems? It IS driving me nuts!

Yeah, I know, he's got a new job and only takes on a few projects. I got him to take a look at the Sansui because he knows I won't complain if it take him over a year to get to it! I've been unbelievably understanding with him and given him tons of slack. Plus, I really don't need any of these units as I have a lot of back up here! lol

But, it is a problem getting something done in a timely fashion, not sure who else is up here. Although perhaps we should take up Mark's advice above and learn to read some of those circuit diagrams, etc. Think we can handle that stuff at our age, wait, you are a bit younger than I? lol
    He had my cr2040 for 3 mnths & did a very good job with it. Worth the hour drive too. I gotta get ahold of him. Thanks for info.

Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    I had a Nikko receiver many moons ago. My dad loved it's FM reception. Don't remember what ever happened to it.

Nikko was, and still is, known (by those in the know) for some excellent tuner designs and products. Their "gamma" series of tuners (statement pieces from a company not quite known for 'statement products') were superb. Indeed, I don't think I'm telling tales out of school to recount that well-known tuner and tape deck guru Charles "Stellavox" King has & uses a modified Nikko Gamma tuner (a Gamma I, methinks) to which he added a vacuum tube output section (probably just a cathode follower; I actually don't remember the details). He brought it to a local shindig some years back and we got to see & hear it. It was excellent.
    http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/nikko/gamma-i.shtml

nikko_gamma_i_fm_tuner.jpg

I would imagine that the tuners in their receivers were likewise very good -- I have little ears-on experience, though.

• boston1450
    Options
    vc0nrwlqwn0w.jpeg
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    2252's lookin' good (and gotta love that imaginative power switch)!

I wouldn't mind picking up a 2270 someday -- doubtful that I'll feel like paying market price for one, though...
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Those marantz are bringing or at least asking 500 to 900.00 for those amps in my area. Too much other choise's in those price ranges.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • boston1450
    Options
    Like that switch LOL. For 6.00 i couldnt pass it up & heck i kinda like that switch :)
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ... nor would I (pass it up). Heck, it could look like the fish carcass in "The Old Man and the Sea" and I'd probably have bought it for six bucks :- )

Now, just to interject something from the Granite State ;- )

Since our builder (still) hasn't picked up the Mirage L-750s I recently refoamed for him :-P
    I decided on Thursday night to hook 'em up to my EICO ST-70 amplifier (modified to fix the known design glitches and rehabbed by Gary Kaufman for me a couple of years back).

Sounds good.

25072195924_011d8d432d_b.jpg085m by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    How do you like them ?? What vintage are they ?? 70's 80's ??
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    They sound good -- I shoulda played 'em for you!
    They must be from the early '80s; I'd never seen a pair before these... but they're well regarded (even today), at least in Canada.
  • boston1450
    Options
    Maybe he will forget about them :)
    Randy/Maine
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Gawd you suck Mark! Your house is an archive of wayback audio fun! I promise not to violate your yard if one day I could peruse the vaults.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    c'mon by some time! Summer & fall R best!

Those Mirages do sound better on little stands. I cobbled up a pair but they're a little metastable :-P I was doing multiple things when I hooked the EICO to the Mirages, so I left 'em on the floor so I didn't have to worry about an inopportune speaker faceplant (baffleplant?)!
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Here's my Nikko 6065 w/ pumping 34 watts in my bedroom. The green back light is so bright it illuminates my bedroom.
    Randy I have to ask. How do you like those Klipsch you showed a page ago.. Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's my Nikko 6065 w/ pumping 34 watts in my bedroom. The green back light is so bright it illuminates my bedroom.

That's a pretty little Nikko -- I am taking the liberty of making it (I think) a little easier for folks to see :- )

n67yl95fiqpv.jpg

EDIT: sorry, this is the only Nikko catalog info I have :-P

13270212555_5b460ebb34_b.jpgNikko by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    http://omaha.craigslist.org/ele/5488184295.html No affil.
    mrh, your beloved Altec's are shown in the ad in the second photo.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heh -- you've gotta love a publication entitled "Low-Cost HiFi" that has a McIntosh tuner & a big ol' JBL compression driver, horn & diffuser on the cover. They weren't low cost "then" and they still ain't "now" :- )

ettb65e9tzlv.jpg
  • aprazer402
    Options
    I need to fire this 'ol gal up again. Maybe 10 watts per channel. I had a tech go through it a couple of years ago. The old RCA 6V6GT tubes tested and matched well, it needed a new rectifier tube? It was a freebie. It's left front knob is a mismatch. I remember mrh posting about a company that hoards (and sells) old knobs etc. I think they're right here in Nebr. b9ljlmsmy53s.jpg
    5w91k5ofzv4z.jpg
    ij1gg57wnx70.jpg

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Prolly these guyses: https://www.surplussales.com/

That is a wicked funky amplifier, in the sense that the brand is utterly unfamiliar. PP 6V6 is capable of quite good hifi sound; probably about 12 wpc (give or take a coupla watts).

The cosmetics and morphology of the amp remind me of the "Knight" branded hardware sold by Allied Radio of Chicago. Unlike Radio Shack's "Realistic" products of the same era (early 1960s -- maybe, but not likely, very late 1950s), the Knight stuff was largely US made. No idea who the OEM was, though.

Lemme see if I can identify a Knight "lookalike" @ www.alliedcatalogs.com
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That was easy; found the Allied/Knight cognate (I think!) in the first catalog I looked at :- )

033.jpg
    source: www.alliedcatalogs.com (1959)

h1jnllkgfjo3.jpg

The switch positions are swapped :-P
    Tube complement looks like it is (probably?) the same.

Many Knight-branded components had the tubes mounted horizontally to allow a modern, "low profile" styling.
  • aprazer402
    Options
    The Pacemaker 2221 was made by Bell Labs, probably a lower line than the ones labeled with Bell.6k0i0d3phn1m.jpg
    zmhbfhz3puc3.jpg
  • aprazer402
    Options
    Looks like the Knight brand is the same unit too.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That Bell wasn't affiliated with Bell Labs AFAIK -- but that does clear that up.
    Same amp, pretty sure, as the Knight; good to know. Never saw the "Pacemaker" brand before (yeah, I said that already, didn't I?).

:- )

EDIT: Bell Sound Co., Columbus, OH

Good ol' Google...
    http://www.wingspreadrecords.com/Bell.htm
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Whoa -- the tube complement of your 2221 is apparently different than that in the brochure scan page you posted. The latter shows 2 6CQ8s and no 12AU7s; yours has a chassis-labeled 12AU7 in one of your photos. Interesting.
  • aprazer402
    Options
    Found this: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-bell-3d-years-ahead-years-ago.234970/page-2 Bell Sound Labs was maker. Scroll to end to see 1958 product pamphlet.
  • aprazer402
    Options
    Thanks for this link. Interesting old stuff. http://www.wingspreadrecords.com/Bell.htm
  • boston1450
    Options
    I hooked them to the Marantz 2252 & one of the horn tweeters is out. I noticed right off something wasnt right. So last night i ordered one from the bay under 50. I got them dirt cheap otherwise i wouldnt have messed with them. Cleaned them up vnicely & will try them out again when they are up n running
    Randy/Maine
  • aprazer402
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Whoa -- the tube complement of your 2221 is apparently different than that in the brochure scan page you posted. The latter shows 2 6CQ8s and no 12AU7s; yours has a chassis-labeled 12AU7 in one of your photos. Interesting.

That is odd (but I know nothing about tubes, this is one of two tube components I own. All I know is you never turn on a tube amp without having speakers connected.) Mine has one 12AU7 and four 12AX7's, circled in red. That's what's installed in mine, I checked them. Why do you suppose the two 12AX7's on the right have aluminum sleeves over them? Thanks! n02q5t9bsqj5.jpg
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    audio archeology! B)