SDA 2Bs still bright

Options
I was going from my Oppo directly to the Parasound HCA-750 and, even after the polyswitch mod, they still sounded bright. I wound up getting a Yaqin CD3 tube buffer and rolled in some Sylvania 6SN7s. The bass got a little deeper and some detail came out but they still sound bright to my ears. Anyone have any ideas of how I can tame the highs?
TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    What value resistor did you install in place of the Polyswitch?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    Options
    What value resistor did you install in place of the Polyswitch?

.5 ohm.
  • ROHfan
    Options
    I'd be very interested in some 6SN7 tube opinions, also. Very new to tubes.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    You could increase it to .6-.7 ohms
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    ROHfan wrote: »

RCA VT231 gray glass
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ROHfan
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ROHfan wrote: »

RCA VT231 gray glass

Are they a direct replacement?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    It's your source and possibly your cables.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    Had a issue like that just last week, With a little help from my friends here found 2 Drivers out of phase. Problem solved. Just saying!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I used Mundorff MOX so mine was .47 ohm (closest value to .5) - mine are TL'd now as well but the last thing I'd say is they are bright. In fact, I'd say I finally understand why everyone loves the 2b's so much. I prefer them to my modded 1c's in some ways (but not all ways).

I'd check the easy stuff first, swap some cables, as Jesse suggests, also, I hate to broach the subject but some of your chain has a rep for being brighter. You may find a cable or tube that tames that very nicely if you don't mind experimenting.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Source and then cables. Why would you use the volume control in the Oppo?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Why would you use the volume control in the Oppo?

H9

Brock, it seems to be a fad these days with a growing number of Oppo owners to remove the pre amp from the chain.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Why would you use the volume control in the Oppo?

H9

Brock, it seems to be a fad these days with a growing number of Oppo owners to remove the pre amp from the chain.

Why? A pre-amp is much more than an inexpensively implemented vol control.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ROHfan
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Source and then cables. Why would you use the volume control in the Oppo?

H9

I was under the impression that the DAC in the Oppo was of good quality, no?

You know, everything seems to point to the harshness originating in the BDP-103. Even when I stream music from my NAS it's very bright. When I use the Oppo via HDMI to my AVR the sound is not nearly as harsh but I seem to lose detail. So, that said, would I be better served by a dedicated CD player or should I go with a good quality DAC between the 103 and the Yaqin? My speaker cables aren't an issue as they're high quality, although I forget the manufacturer. Got them from a Polkie here. And my interconnects are custom made by me so they must be perfect. :)
  • heiney9
    Options
    Good quality dac because it also give you some further flexibility.
  • ROHfan
    Options
    Good quality dac because it also give you some further flexibility.

What would be the preferred way to get signal from the Oppo to the DAC? Optical output?
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    My 105 as a preamp blew. It works ok as a back up pre if needed. I also ran my 93 as a pre when I had it, it was even worse.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    To me optical is the least preferred method.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Coax is best
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    One of two things should happen here, Bill - you bring those 2Bs to me, or I'll bring my preamp/amp/cables to you.
    Theoretically we have identically matched speakers, except yours have totally redone
    Xovers. I can say that mine do not sound at all bright or fatiguing, but your ears are what we're talking about so you'd have to decide for yourself.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Maybe the speakers need some break in? The oppos were far from bright. My vr3 modded lsi 15's were like a roller coaster on break in before they smoothed out. I'm talking 200 hours here.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• ROHfan
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Maybe the speakers need some break in? The oppos were far from bright. My vr3 modded lsi 15's were like a roller coaster on break in before they smoothed out. I'm talking 200 hours here.

The speakers are more than broken in. I think Harry is onto something in his post. I may have to haul them over to his place and give a listen with his equipment and my speakers.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Try his equipment on your speakers. That will tell you where your percieved brightness is coming from better, no?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ROHfan
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Try his equipment on your speakers. That will tell you where your percieved brightness is coming from better, no?

Coulda sworn that's what I posted above.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I read it wrong because of the way polr initially posted your speakers his house or his equipment your house. You switched it up with your speakers his house. Derp, sorry. Wouldn't it be easier to move equipment than speakers?
    Post edited by Nightfall on
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • polrbehr
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I read it wrong because of the way polr initially posted your speakers his house or his equipment your house. You switched it up with your speakers his house. Deep, sorry. Wouldn't it be easier to move equipment than speakers?

Uhh, keep outta this, he isn't exactly around the block from me... LOL B)

Whatever works though, I offered because I'm anxious to give yours a listen either way.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• ROHfan
    Options
    I think what I'm gonna try this weekend is going from the Oppo's coax out to the coax in of my VSX-1120 and seeing what happens. I'll probably throw the tube buffer into the mix after the preouts on the VSX.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Bill putting your speakers into a completely different rig, room dynamics, as well as another pair of ears listening should help solve your problem. That is if the solution hasn't already been found. Keep us informed as to what you find!
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Bill have you use your Mapletree preamp with your amp and a source like a CD player to see how that sounds? and or from the Oppo to the Mapletree to the amp?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • polrbehr
    Options
    Bill putting your speakers into a completely different rig, room dynamics, as well as another pair of ears listening should help solve your problem. That is if the solution hasn't already been found. Keep us informed as to what you find!

Food for thought, Bill - my 2ch rig is in my finished basement which, because it's connected to the garage, is 100% accessible. So no worries about dealing with stairs OK?

And there's already spots impressed into the carpet that should be just about the right size; placement just doesn't get any easier!

• ROHfan
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Bill have you use your Mapletree preamp with your amp and a source like a CD player to see how that sounds? and or from the Oppo to the Mapletree to the amp?

I actually sold the Mapletree. Wasn't enough of a good improvement to hold onto it and I got a really sweet offer for it, to boot. However, it definitely wasn't as bright as what I have now.

Harry, I think I'll be in for a week from Saturday.