Laserdisc-The godfather of ALL consumer optical disc media

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Ironically, people today think nothing of spending $20-$40 dollars on a LP.

Guilty but believe me, I think something of it. I still do it anyway though, I can't help myself.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I remember my dad buying into laser disc. I will never forget him making me grab him a beer then flip the true lies disc over. Dam you guys are old lol :wink:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Yes, I remember when they came out! My dad was working at Sears and a young salesman grabbed us to show off how the new fangled thing worked. Hi-tech!

@honestaquarian it's even more fun when the instruments separate and sound like
    you would image they sound like in the studio.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    I had two video stores near me that rented LDs. They had an extensive list of rentable LDs from Japan that were letterboxed with Japanese subtitles. They had a dark demo room with a 10 foot projection TV and surround sound. They were always demoing the system with Top Gun and explaining to customers that the video picture was not cut off on the top and bottom. That store went out of business sadly but they got me going to spend money on my man cave. They were way ahead of their time.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Way back in 1999 I used to work at an audio salon and we used to do Dolby versus DTS comparos.Hence both copies of Goldeneye.

I had the AC-3 version of GoldenEye (until I bought the DVD). I used to watch the first 10 minutes daily: still my favorite Brosnan movie.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    edited February 2016
    How do I unsubscribe from this shicken chit thread anyway?

Was that a quote from Aliens (substitute "outfit" for "thread")? :p
    Another great LaserDisc (I have all 4 on LD)! The only format the "extended cut" was available on until the Alien Box Set DVD came out: I must have watched that thing 50 times.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • StantonZ wrote: »
    How do I unsubscribe from this shicken chit thread anyway?

Was that a quote from Aliens (substitute "outfit" for "thread")? :p

Yes, good pickup.

• mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I remember my dad buying into laser disc. I will never forget him making me grab him a beer then flip the true lies disc over. Dam you guys are old lol :wink:

@mikeyb128
    Your point son??? :DB);)
  • StantonZ wrote: »
    Way back in 1999 I used to work at an audio salon and we used to do Dolby versus DTS comparos.Hence both copies of Goldeneye.

I had the AC-3 version of GoldenEye (until I bought the DVD). I used to watch the first 10 minutes daily: still my favorite Brosnan movie.

@StantonZ
    To this day whenever I do a Dolby VS DTS Lasedisc demo (*obviously a LOT less than in years past*) 100% of the time even non audiophiles/videophiles hear the difference!
    The last one was a few years ago at two different times with two different coworkers who came over to listen to my system. I played the exact same demo for each of them.First we started off by playing a 320 kbps MP3 rip of a CD streamed to the Oppo and then playing the CD it was ripped from.
    They heard the difference.
    Then I played Jurassic park 2 in Dolby AC-3 and then DTS. Both heard the difference and said the exact same thing that people used to say back in 1999.That being the fact that the DTS version sounded louder.

EVERY SINGLE DTS LASERDISC THAT I ALSO HAVE THE DOLBY DIGITAL VERSION OF HAS GOTTEN THAT EXACT SAME COMMENT!!

I always address the issue by saying there is a lot more information on the DTS disc,so it is going to be percieved as being louder.
    The interesting thing was with the second coworker who came over.He asked me to play the same scene again in both versions and commented that he heard some stuff on the DTS version that he could not hear on the Dolby version. I agreed with him.

DTS uses a LOT LESS lossy compression than Dolby does. The Dolby AC-3 bistream coming off of the disc is 384kbps (*and the Dolby AC-2 sountrack that they used to use in movie theaters was 320kbps-Kilobits per second*)The DTS bitstream is the same as with a two channel Compact Disc at 1.5mbps (*megabits per second*)Which is why it replaced the 16 bit redbook bitstream on a Laserdisc.

I cannot believe I remember all of this shiggity!

Can you say geek-a-ramaaaaaa???

(*btw at the time I had an Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray and a Pioneer DVL-919 Laser. As well as an Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre/pro*)
  • a0q8w2w0c7eg.jpg
    86kf5l90nyal.jpg

Another CD that I've had for thirty years. The bass on tracks 1,3 and 9,but ESPECIALLY track 3-Par Avion demonstrate the differences in the bass I am getting from the DVL-91 versus the BDP-103.
    Track 8-A call to arms is a good SDA test track btw.

Par Avion has strong synthesizer bass which goes down to 31 HZ!
    I confirmed this on a spectrum analyzer many years ago.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    Ok geek a romaaaaa I looked and my LD is the CLD 1090. Very old but still working. What would you recommend as a replacement? Are the Pioneer Elite the best? which models?
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • @xjghost
    WOW!!
    I remember that one. Now granted it was the bottom of the line at the time and didn't change sides(*I think*) However those players from that era you could not kill!
    I discovered how much better the Elites were when I FINALLY got my hands on a couple of them (*see previous posts*) I was actually shocked at the difference in picture quality of the Elite DVL-91 compared to the DVL-919 on which it is based.

The blacks on the DVL-919 quite literally look gray and washed out compared to what I was seeing on the Elite DVL-91!!!!

I could not believe my eyes,because I thought they looked just fine until I put the Elite in the system.
    Now the blacks look BLACK.
  • xjghost
    @xjghost
    WOW!!
    I remember that one. Now granted it was the bottom of the line at the time and didn't change sides(*I think*) However those players from that era you could not kill!
    I discovered how much better the Elites were when I FINALLY got my hands on a couple of them (*see previous posts*) I was actually shocked at the difference in picture quality of the Elite DVL-91 compared to the DVL-919 on which it is based.

The blacks on the DVL-919 quite literally look gray and washed out compared to what I was seeing on the Elite DVL-91!!!!

I could not believe my eyes,because I thought they looked just fine until I put the Elite in the system.
    Now the blacks look BLACK.

So look for DVL-91 then. Yea it has been in use sense I bought it new.....
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

• @xjghost
    The DVL series of players could play DVD's and Laserdiscs.
    The CLD series would play Laserdiscs and CD's and preceeded the DVL series.
    @StantonZ has an Elite CLD-99 that he would swear by and I agree with him!
    TANK!
  • xjghost
    Funny thing is during Christmas I went in a pawn shop near Charleston and saw a DVD LD player for $45 or so. I wish I would have taken a picture of it and researched it now.......

• Hey it might still be there. Did it have wooden side panels?
    Keep your eyes open on eBay. That is where I found my last three players (*again see previous posts on that*)
  • @xjghost
    If memory serves the DVL series of Laserdisc/DVD combi players consisted of the following in order of appearence on the market:
    (*and I have had most of them*)
    Pioneer lineup
    DVL-700
    DVL-909
    DVL-919
    Elite lineup
    DVL-90 (*based on the DVL-700*)
    DVL-91 (*based on either the DVL-909 or the later 919. They looked essentially identical*)
    The only one that I haven't had was the DVL-909
  • hd6votsavikx.jpg

Anyone remember 24/96 DAD's? (*the early predecessor to DVD-Audio and SACD*)
    They were two channel DVD's with 24 bit/96khz audio and some still video.

Anyway yep it'll play'em!
  • i76bh9myjpcg.jpg

8" music video Laserdiscs?
    Yep It'll play'em!
  • HOLY S@#÷!!
    Now it is clearer than ever to me the benefits of having low Jitter!
    Backstory-For some reason that I have never been able to explain other than some cnanges in design,the DVL-700/DVL-90 had no issues with passing the bitstreams of DVD'S and DTS CD's through the Meridian RF demodulator. However the DVL-919/DVL-91 will not. In order for me to be able to get sound I have to run a second digital cable straight to the preamo,bypassing the Meridian. So I just did that today in order to play the DAD and a DTS CD.
    Anyway I popped in a couple of redbook Cd's and wondered after playing if I could hear a difference between the signal going straight to the preamp versus passing through the Meridian and it's reclocking circuitry.
    OH YEAH!!!
    I played one track and heard it immediately. The track was one that I used to use as demo material even though it isn't audiophile fare. Michael Jackson's Stranger in Moscow. At the beginning the raindrops were more distinct and I could better hear each one. When the bass line comes in it is deeper and much more well defined passing through the Meridian.

WOW Jitter SUCKS!!
  • Not to mention the bass was more powerful with more impact.
  • I'll PM you my address. I want to hear this myself.
  • @rednedtugent
    If you live anywhere near the Nations Crapitol feel free.
  • Just heard something else on amother CD that while I HAVE heard it before. It was not clear or defined,so I could not make it out like I just did. I also noticed I am not experiencing listener fatigue after a few minutes of cranking the tunes with redbook CD's like I do when I stream them to the Oppo.
  • ftwd6bsqqjif.jpg

THERE IT IS.
    I KNEW it was there I just hadn't heard it in so long.
    I found it,the low,rolling bass line on The Morning Side.
    I knew it was there somewhere❕❕
  • Thank you for the offer. I haven't been out that way in some time. (I need to get out)
    Don't you love it when you get on a run like you are?! :)
  • c6hzzlymsxck.jpg

I just got reminded of why this album is so revered by SDA owners.
    I only planned on playing one track and wound up listening to the entire CD❕
    Yes @rednedtugent you are absolutely right

Been cranking the tunes for hours and lost track of time. Now for the Grammys on the TiVo and to make some dinner.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Picked up a new Betamax yesterday. Freakin' awesome. It will revolutionize audio/video as we know it.... GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!
  • You can always NOT read this thread if you don't like it @ken brydson
    Did that particular thought ever cross your mind????
    Some of yous guys really need to get off of your high horses. This forum is for any and everyone who wants to post,however SOME OF YOU seem to think that you have the right to go around trying to police the forum and judging those whom you deem unfit or something.