Star Wars- The Force Awakens Official Thread

124»

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Disney wisely heard the cries of all the fans over the years with GL's tinkering of the OT and the many blunders of the PT. I think once they took possession of Lucasfilm, they listened what GL had to say, then perhaps said "No thanks!" They really did need to distance themselves from GL or risk angering the fan base...aka...the people who give money to Disney. I wonder though as to what went on behind closed doors with Disney and GL. He could have had more involvement with this new trilogy than what is being said. Who knows! Anyway..GL has angered a lot of fans over the years...

Come on...

1. Han shoots first
    2. Jar Jar
    3. General "Robitussin" Grievous and that infernal sore throat
    4. Ewoks
    5. Replacing old Anakin ghost with young Anakin ghost

I also believe as part of the sale of Lucasfilm, it was specifically stated that Disney could not go back to any prior movie and make any alterations. The way they are at the time of sale is the way they will remain. Disney can't release the unaltered OT.

Oh, I like Disney's decision to make Anthology "One off" films. December of this year (can't believe it's 2016) comes Rogue One, the story of the battle that takes place before Ep IV that leads to the stolen Death Star plans. Would love to see them having the plans being handed to a white cloaked Princess Leia in the distance next to the Tantive IV (that flies in first at the beginning of Ep IV, then is chased by the Star Destroyer), then it takes off...cut to credits.

Sure Disney is going to milk this for everything. You don't buy something for $4 billion and sit it on the shelf and do nothing.
    No excuses!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Finally saw it yesterday....still digesting it in my mind. A few thoughts though:
    1. Visually stunning movie
    2. I sat through the first half of the flick, up until the part where Han Solos son took his mask off, thinking "wow....they nailed it". Then the movies plot line started moving too fast, leaving me saying "really??"
    3. I guess there are no new ideas left in the galaxy
    4. Come on....no IG-88??? I have been waiting 30 + years....
    5. Acting was pretty much spot on....especially compared to the last 3 movies. Who the H E double hockey sticks CAST the last three movies anyways???
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2016
    There are a NUMBER of ONLINE courses that teach you HOW to innovate, plot twist and SURPRISE an audience-and they do it QUITE WELL. So there is NO excuse for being unable to do that when you have 100s of millions of dollars behind you. The problem, there are HUNDREDS of BRILLIANT screenwriters waiting tables in Hollywood when they should be writing dialogue and scripts for the next Blockbuster. Alas...this is America and we just keep doing what "we" think will SELL! And we keep using the same tired old writers again, and again, and again rather than taking a chance. What a cowardly industry!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Kevhed72, why was Han's kid wearing a mask?
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I'm probably the only guy here who hasn't seen it yet.
    When the wife and daughter went, I did get some grief for staying home and listening to music music instead. But I had fun... B)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    edited January 2016
    Kevhed72, why was Han's kid wearing a mask?

I dunno but anybody besides me think he looked like Vinny Barbarino (John Travolta) from Welcome Back Kotter?

i00moij72fhs.jpg
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I heard there were/are a lot of nasty comment about Carrie Fisher. I though she looked great. She ain't no spring chicken, and those of us who saw the original in theaters aren't either. Mark looked great also. Both had trainers.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2016
    Saw this over the weekend. Just ok in my book and I have to agree a rehashing of episode 4. How many death stars are we going to have to endure ?

BTW....the kid wore the mask because he wants to be the new Darth Vader.

I did like how they brought the force out in the girl though. I was expecting something special in the way of special effects but saw nothing really worth mentioning above and beyond from the original movies.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    tonyb wrote: »
    Saw this over the weekend. Just ok in my book and I have to agree a rehashing of episode 4. How many death stars are we going to have to endure ?

That was my main issue, first 2 3rds of the movie story line was fitting the death star battle was like watching the Titanic sink.

The wife conned me into the 3D viewing and I thought it sucked, really bad motion blur and cruddy blacks. The Blu ray remasters of the originals looked better on my TV than the 3D.

Right after the show I took my son to see the OLED TVs at Best Buy and showed him what I was complaining about at the theater

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yeah, was it just me or did the picture even suck at the theatres ? I saw it in non 3d form, and the pic looked like I was watching 720p.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited January 2016
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yeah, was it just me or did the picture even suck at the theatres ? I saw it in non 3d form, and the pic looked like I was watching 720p.

Well thanks for confirming & saving me another ticket, or a sneak peek because I curious enough to possibly see it again...I thought it was maybe just the 3D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Kevhed72, why was Han's kid wearing a mask?

Partially due to Sith tradition and partially out of homage to his grandfather, Darth Vader.

It is common for Sith lords and Sith apprentices to partially or totally cover their faces. They often wear full or partial masks to project a more menacing appearance and to avoid any show of emotion on their face which could give an adversary an advantage. At the very least, most of them wear hooded cloaks which obscure the upper half of their faces. Darth Maul let his face show, but it was completely covered in hideous tattoos.

In the case of Vader, his mask obscured his badly burned face and contained a respirator which was required to keep him alive. Prior to his facial disfigurement, Vader's cloak hood partially obscured his face in typical Sith fashion.

Darth%20Sidious_zpsndofunhx.jpg
    Darth Sidious

Darth%20%20maul_zpsmdyya5be.jpg
    Darth Maul

Vader_yelloweyes-r_zpsuxkdrnwb.jpg
    Darth Vader (prior to disfigurement)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    I heard there were/are a lot of nasty comment about Carrie Fisher. I though she looked great. She ain't no spring chicken, and those of us who saw the original in theaters aren't either. Mark looked great also. Both had trainers.

Ummmm... why were people making nasty comments about Carrie's appearance? Were they expecting a repeat of her skimpy bikini outfit? She and Mark are both playing middle-aged characters with grown children and I thought they both looked great.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Saw it with my son the other week. We both enjoyed it. It was much more like the original ones. I did some time travelling watching it. It was nice how the movie was not about the special effects, rather it all seemed integrated nicely together. First 3d movie I have watched in quite some time...it was very nicely done.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited January 2016

Ummmm... why were people making nasty comments about Carrie's appearance? Were they expecting a repeat of her skimpy bikini outfit? She and Mark are both playing middle-aged characters with grown children and I thought they both looked great.

Shallow people obviously. As I said, I thought they both looked great. Harrison hasn't been out of the spotlight, so we know how he looks, and he too looked great in the part.
    To her credit, she gave it right back to them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    I saw this exact same film back in 1977, what a crappy remake!
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.