Star Wars- The Force Awakens Official Thread

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I was 8 and Star Wars the biggest thing to a kid my age, saw at the theater 7 times back then. Cost my mom gobs of money in memorabilia

I saw it more than 300. I still have all of the dialog from that movie in memory.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Got tickets at TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX, Hollywood, CA dead center on New Years Eve day, can't friggen wait!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Turn your phone into a light saber and battle the evil forces..."And may the farts be with you"

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/12/wield-your-lightsaber-to-escape-first.html
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I have tickets for 8pm Christmas Eve at the glorious Senator Theater here in Baltimore. It's the perfect way to start my 10 day vacation.
    No excuses!
  • I saw it last night. I thought it was a big gooey, watered-down, fermented, regurgitation of the original 1977 release.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • txcoastal1
    We don't need reboots we need prequels or sequels

If people don't know what it's about then they need to buy or rent the original :#
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    edited December 2015
    I saw it last night. I thought it was a big gooey, watered-down, fermented, regurgitation of the original 1977 release.

So they succeed in what they were trying to do. Thus insuring billions of dollars in ticket sales and billions more in merchandise sales.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I was 6. Still have the gobs of toys stashed away. Wonder what some of the stuff is worth?

Whatever someone is willing to pay...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I was 25, married & with a little droid in the SO's oven.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    So for those of you that saw it, is it worthy of standing in a line or trying for countless hours to score tickets on line, or should I just wait for it to come out on Blu-ray? Thanks for the spoiler Ken.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I saw it last night and really liked it. I'm a moderate Star Wars fan, having seen most (all?) of the movies once and at about the time they all came out.
    For me, a good blend of more modern special effects and some of the look and feel of earlier movies.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2015
    I saw it last night. I thought it was a big gooey, watered-down, fermented, regurgitation of the original 1977 release.

Haven't seen it, but this WAS my prediction of what I thought it would be like. Time to move on, and get rid of Kasdan as a screenwriter, the boy is older than I am! Plus Larry was "always" a lightweight!-the crotchety old **** (me) retires to his cave in the woods for some fondue with Yoda!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Strong Bad
    Haven't seen it, but this WAS my prediction of what I thought it would be like. Time to move on, and get rid of Kasdan as a screenwriter, the boy is older than I am! Plus Larry was "always" a lightweight!-the crotchety old **** (me) retires to his cave in the woods for some fondue with Yoda!

Yeah, after writing horrible films such as Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark as well as writing, producing and directing the Accidental Tourist...
    No excuses!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2015
    Strong Bad wrote: »

Yeah, after writing horrible films such as Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark as well as writing, producing and directing the Accidental Tourist...

I told you I was "crotchety"! lol

Big Chill and Grand Canyon make me "cringe"! And the Accidental Tourist is really Anne Tyler's creation, with Larry riding the coattails of some good performances by good actors.

Fondue so warm it is! He echoes from his cave. He has forgotten his name but the cheese smells good.

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I'll see it all day just to look at Daisy Ridley. I saw the movie opening night and the whole theater clapped at the end. I saw it 3-D. I thought it had the feel of the original trilogy with more realistic characters and some real good acting. Daisy Ridley. Did I mention her.
  • Strong Bad
    dromunds wrote: »
    I'll see it all day just to look at Daisy Ridley. I saw the movie opening night and the whole theater clapped at the end. I saw it 3-D. I thought it had the feel of the original trilogy with more realistic characters and some real good acting. Daisy Ridley. Did I mention her.

If you don't mind, i'm going to mention her as well...Daisy Ridley. I saw the movie last night and loved it. The casting was all spot on, but Daisy and Adam Driver stood out for me.

With that said, I think if you're the type of person looking to go in as a critic and to pick apart this movie to compare to other episodes, save yourself a trip. If you're a fan and are looking for great fun, then go!

I will admit, that ending scene...brought tears to my eyes. Of all 7 movies, I personally feel that was the single best end scene of all. It was beautifully shot and done!
    No excuses!
  • I saw it last week, and it was a new beginning to another trilogy. Many questions to answer and answers to close the door on some of the old questions. Abrams did the a very good job, but as stated above, if your looking for Oscar level performance stay home or go see Tom Hanks last film, but I hear the Will Smith film will have you thinking on a real life level. Star Wars is as it has always been, fun entertainment that lights up the young and old without the over the top language and blood & guts.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited December 2015
    I took two of my Kids to see it last Tuesday, it was a pretty good film. I don't recall seeing much Star wars when I was a child although I'm sure I have seen them, so I was not too excited about it. Kiddies really liked it.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I thought the movie was superbly entertaining, but don't have high hopes for the writing or directing on the next two. The director of #9 is the same guy who made Jurassic World, which I thought was Mystery Science Theater B-movie material at best.

The Star Wars/album cover mashups on this guy's page are pretty good:
    https://www.instagram.com/whythelongplayface/

2kgardbaxv68.png
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I t was totally awesome and I plan on seeing it in theater at least 2 or 3 more times.
    The first time was a sit on the edge of your seat experience, now I can sit back and absorb it all in and take away more and more.
    Remembering all the names, planets and places will be deeper retained more times around
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I thought it was good, but I'm a fan of the original 3, so nostalgia creeps in. Nice to see the main characters after all these years.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • George Lucas discusses the "The Force Awakens" (hint, he doesn't like it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8hQVlRgFlU

George Lucas laments the film industry's corporate profit-driven mentality which generates and perpetuates a lack of artistic creativity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIrQUXm_hY

• nooshinjohn
    George Lucas discusses the "The Force Awakens" (hint, he doesn't like it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8hQVlRgFlU

George Lucas laments the film industry's corporate profit-driven mentality which generates and perpetuates a lack of artistic creativity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIrQUXm_hY
    This coming from the man who was so creative he had to ruin the original trilogy by re-editting it to make more money off of it rather than doing what JJ did, and the garbage trilogy he did to rake in even more...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    George lost his way a long time ago. Great story-teller, but he should let others write dialog. I defy anyone to watch episode III and not say to yourself "who talks like that".
    It's laughable.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • txcoastal1
    I've always heard George is quite the arrogant a$$ and quite greedy. Movie theaters only make money on concessions not the tickets. George demands not only the ticket sales but an additional percentage of the concessions up to 25%.

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Saw it today and loved it...fun movie.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419

My thoughts exactly. Just meh for me. My kids loved it though, which I think means they were aiming for, and earned a reboot with a new generation.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• nooshinjohn
    edited December 2015
    I've always heard George is quite the arrogant a$$ and quite greedy. Movie theaters only make money on concessions not the tickets. George demands not only the ticket sales but an additional percentage of the concessions up to 25%.
    Not to go into this too deeply, but it amazes me how guys like George despise the greedy, yet they fail to see their own reflection in the mirror in the morning.
    Back to the movie... Our tickets are for tomorrow. I will be going in another week to do the universal studios Imax 3d atmos presentation.

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited December 2015
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    I admire his genius, but he sounds like a typical Hollywood hypocrite.
    What did he expect when he sold Star Wars to Disney for $4 billion?

I don't think it's hypocritical to expect your art to be treated with some measure of respect to its creator. I don't think any painter would appreciate someone buying his/her oil paintings and then learning that the buyer used them for lining garbage cans and bird cages.

Theaters make money on tickets on a sliding scale based on how long the movie runs, with the studio getting the largest cut the first two weeks.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/03/08/smbusiness/q_movies/

I don't know how Lucas could demand any part of a theater's concessions since that part of the business is outside the contractual agreement pertaining to renting films. He has demanded (and received) higher than industry average rental fees for his films.
    George lost his way a long time ago. Great story-teller, but he should let others write dialog. I defy anyone to watch episode III and not say to yourself "who talks like that".
    It's laughable.

I watched all the SW films and I never once asked myself "who talks like that". No one talks in the clipped, stunted, narrative of Star Trek's Captain Kirk either, but who's to say that such a speech pattern wouldn't be common in the 23rd century? Spock had an even more unique and memorable manner of speaking, and no one criticizes that. Who's to say that people in a galaxy far, far, away wouldn't speak like Yoda, Obi-wan, Mace Windu, Amidala, Anakin/Vader, and Darth Sidious? The culture, mannerisms, and speech patterns just reinforced that I was watching the interactions of ALIENS in a distant galaxy.
    This coming from the man who was so creative he had to ruin the original trilogy by re-editting it to make more money off of it rather than doing what JJ did, and the garbage trilogy he did to rake in even more...

I actually appreciate the re-editing and improved special effects of the reissued original trilogy. Lucas said the re-edited movies are his original visions for the movies, but the technology wasn't available in the 70s and 80s for him to bring his visions to life. Sort of like the way SDA modifications address the lack of premium crossover parts during the 80s. Similarly, SDA modders have been criticized as "thinking they know more than the original designers" and "turning SDAs into something different than the designers intended", when actually, Matthew Polk and Polk's engineering department are the ones who advocated specific modifications to improve (not change) performance.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about a piece of cinematic art, but I've never understood the hate directed at Episodes 1-3 when all they are about is explaining the causative events for Episodes 4-6. Vader is just a sadistic, mass-murdering villain for most of Episodes 4-6. Only in Episodes 1-3 do we see proof that Vader was once a kind, good-hearted, and talented mechanical genius who turned to the dark side because he was lied to, and manipulated by, an evil trusted mentor and he thought turning to the dark side was the only way to save his wife's life.