Star Wars- The Force Awakens Official Thread

Options
nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
edited October 2015 in Music & Movies
I was skeptical of the new films coming from that Galaxy far, far away, but the trailer shown tonight during halftime was incredible. I went to the surround rig and fired it up to movie theater levels and was blown away. I have gone from the doubtful skeptic to enthusiastic fanboy once again, just like I was when I was 12 years old. Anyone else getting excited for this one?

http://youtu.be/sGbxmsDFVnE
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    Don't hit the theaters much these days but for me this is a must see!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    So i assume, without doing any prior reading, that this is "VII"?

Saw all the remasters in the theater as well as I, II & III.
    Haven't been to a theater since Avatar. This should be good.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Can't wait!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    I'm sure Disney is.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I did the same thing John. Cranked up the HT! This looks like its going to be good! :)
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The last estimate I heard is Disney may come close to breaking even on the 4 billion they spent to acquire lucasfilm by the time DVDs are figured into the mix...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    I'm trying to setup something with my wife and friends to see this as a group locally.

Given timing not sure it will be opening night, or even week, but its on my list to spend the money on at the theater.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    I'm very excited and will be seeing this one opening weekend, maybe opening day.

I love how secretive they're being with this movie. A couple of teasers and 1 trailer, thats probably all we'll be seeing. JJ Abrams even said from the beginning that he wants to take things old school as much as possible, including the way trailers and information about the movie are released. Back with the original trilogy, you had no internet where everyone had ZERO patience and would rather see the movie in bits and pieces over the course of months. They'd rather it all be spoiled before the movie was even released. We got two teasers and a full trailer. No plot, no nothing and thats the way it should be! Go in and be surprised!
    No excuses!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    I'm very excited and will be seeing this one opening weekend, maybe opening day.

I love how secretive they're being with this movie. A couple of teasers and 1 trailer, thats probably all we'll be seeing. JJ Abrams even said from the beginning that he wants to take things old school as much as possible, including the way trailers and information about the movie are released. Back with the original trilogy, you had no internet where everyone had ZERO patience and would rather see the movie in bits and pieces over the course of months. They'd rather it all be spoiled before the movie was even released. We got two teasers and a full trailer. No plot, no nothing and thats the way it should be! Go in and be surprised!

I have to agree. The trailer is OK, but nothing great, IMHO. I was not particularly impressed. After all this time, I gave it a Ho Hum! Much ado...now onto the main event please. All this secretive build-up is getting tedious.

Then again, I'm not in that demographic that was coming of age when the first movie hit the scene (I was already a grad student with interests in cultural anthro., comparative religion, philosophy and Depth Psychology, etc.). I enjoyed it, realized there was something new happening. But I was more interested in how Lucas was using Jung via Joseph Campbell to play with science, mythology and religion for the modern age and the effect that this was having on the youth of that time, still has, it seems. "Fascinating!" (in the words of Spock?)
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Looks awesome...I only hope the trailer reflects how gritty the movie actually, ala Empires Strikes back....vs. the whimsical Episode I movie.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    As long as Lucas didn't write the dialog I'm in.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • ken brydson
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    mqcta94khnnh.jpg

Ahh, sausage....
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    mqcta94khnnh.jpg

Ahh, sausage....

I find that comment offensive. Please shut down the site so I can center my thoughts...

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• motorhead43026
    Options
    If Keiko does not cease with the sausage talk, we may have to put him on a short leash....lol.

zg40aiwfa095.jpg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    I get goosebumps every time I watch that trailer...can't wait to see it...
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Serious question from someone who has only seen bits and pieces of the six existing movies.

Is this appropriate to take a 5yr old to? All the kids at school are talking about it and he wants to see it.

He really has only watched animated kids movies to this point.

I'm leery...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Oh yes absolutely he'll be jazzed and Xmas will be Star Wars galore
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • cnh
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'd say it depends on you. I remember letting my daughter watch Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny on DVD with me when it first came out. I believe she was nine or ten, at the time. Years later she told me, "Dad, how could you let me watch something like that"? In a somewhat kidding tone, I might add!

Were there any negative effects? Not really. She just developed a more mature or immature sense of humor, and a lot of the movie didn't make sense to her, but did later. Children are FAR more RESILIENT than most people think, as long as they are loved and safe! Plus the world outside is often not a "nice" place.

• ken brydson
    Options
    OK, this cracked me up. Apollo 13 reacts to new SW trailer...

https://www.facebook.com/movieclips/videos/10153726351477139/?fref=nf
  • Strong Bad
    Options
    OK, this cracked me up. Apollo 13 reacts to new SW trailer...

https://www.facebook.com/movieclips/videos/10153726351477139/?fref=nf

BAHAHAHA, that was great!
    No excuses!
  • Strong Bad
    Options
    The new international trailer released yesterday. This raises the excitement level 10 fold! Love the shot of the Tie Fighters flying in with the sun behind them...much like the helicopter shot in Apocalypse Now. Real slick and I love it!
    https://youtu.be/SdAUiyeJMFQ

No excuses!
  • whgarrett1394
    Options
    I am so excited to see this film! Was researching Carrie and Mark's weight loss. Hope he can keep it off. Looks so much healthier.
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • whgarrett1394
    Options
    I can't believe that this thread was on the second page. Couldn't bare to see one of the biggest movie releases in history fall to the wayside.

I understand most people on here are old and out of touch, but COME ON MAN!!
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Lol

• westmassguy
    Options
    Just because most of us saw the original Star Wars premier, in theaters, doesn't mean we're out of touch, we're seasoned.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • cnh
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Just because most of us saw the original Star Wars premier, in theaters, doesn't mean we're out of touch, we're seasoned.

Heck, some of us are even rotting at this point in time! lol

1977. A lot of you boys and girls weren't even born yet. Am I right?

• txcoastal1
    Options
    I was 8 and Star Wars the biggest thing to a kid my age, saw at the theater 7 times back then. Cost my mom gobs of money in memorabilia
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• westmassguy
    Options
    I was 19
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I was 8 and Star Wars the biggest thing to a kid my age, saw at the theater 7 times back then. Cost my mom gobs of money in memorabilia

I forgot to mention, I was able to wear my Star Wars t-shirts to school B)

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I was 6. Still have the gobs of toys stashed away. Wonder what some of the stuff is worth?