The world is laughing at US

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    As a side note, one of my pet peeves is the design of parking lots. Every time I hit one that's poorly designed, I ask what college educated idiot designed such a cluster f@@k. You want to design a good useful parking lot.....let a bunch of stay at home moms design it. They'd have traffic moving in and out easily, cart racks in the right places, and stop signs where needed.

If you ever worked in an office building, you might ask yourself the same question. Point being, sometimes a college education is only the tip of the iceberg to solving problems, sometimes it can even hinder the process. Maybe not applicable to every profession, but many anyways. Doctors, Nurses, Lawyers, Scientists, or any specialized field and you'll need a college education for sure. I'm sometimes shocked at the money some spend to go to a highly accredited University only to come away with a general degree in Bullsh$t.

Another aspect to education, is continuing education. With technology changing faster than some of you swap gear, in many fields you need to keep up with the latest and greatest. Other areas you need to keep up with changes, an ever evolving workplace to stay relevant. That's a whole other topic though, K-12 is hard enough to straighten out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Maybe I mentioned this before, I dunno, but I'll tell it again.

I have a niece, beautiful blonde who is starting her 3rd year of college without a clue as to what she wants to do. She came to the family asking for money so she can spend her first semester going to school in Italy. You know what my answer was.

Anyway, she decides to get a government loan to the tune of 9k so she can go. I kept telling her she'll have to pay it back sooner or later but I don't think she took my words seriously. What classes is she taking ? Wine and food pairing.....Italy is a good place for that. Too bad she has no desire to make that a career.

She's staying in Florence, of all places. Went to Germany for Oktoberfest, and is now going to Ireland. So basically, she borrowed 9k to go party in Europe for a semester. When all is said and done though, when school is over and she has a B.S. degree that will be useless and a mountain of debt to pay back, what do you think the narrative will be ?

Poor college student can't find a job that pays anything, wants all her college debt to be forgiven, and/or college should be free for everyone so they don't have this burden hanging over them as they go out into the world. Has to be someone elses fault because she supposedly did all the right things. Well....duh !
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I understand, Tony. But Junior year abroad is almost a standard part of a four year college education at this point. And it is "problematic" for those who have trouble with the funds, but the college or university usually tries to help those students make it over there as they often run programs in other countries (sometimes with other colleges and U.s).

I think it is a good idea, but, unfortunately, many of our students turn it into party time, don't learn enough of the language and culture and return to the U.S. as if they've just gotten back from a Holiday in Europe, Africa, S.A., Asia, etc.

On another note, I have seen very few high level 6-7 figure jobs in the private sector that someone with good learning and people skills could not do and do WELL in a few weeks! Exempting, of course, specialized knowledge areas like Law, Medicine, Engineering (including computer and software), Chemistry, and the Trades, etc. I am talking about "administrators", mostly. I've seen what our own administrators do on a daily basis and I'm pretty sure I could replicate that and do ONE better in less than a week! We don't need all those people up THERE! Too many up top and not enough "on the ground"! And there are individuals who are "quick studies", shockingly so!

There are jobs that require some prior experience, and there are a LOT that should NOT, because there are numerous individuals in our society, who if given a chance, would be "superb" in such "experience only" positions! We have to get a little MORE flexible in our hiring practices and not always be looking for a set of standards that shuts many candidates out. (One of my pet peeves! Sorry.) I've met many talented people in all walks of life and I've also met my share of incompetents in the private sector, and I don't mean at the bottom of it! It would serve us well to have some measure of talent/ability that was not simply linked to level of education and work experience only.

Perhaps some of you old timers remember "The Peter Principle"!
    Post edited by cnh on
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Off all HR personel!...:)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    cnh wrote: »

Rise to your level of incompetence. This is now prevalent in the Silicon Valley software industry. CEOs say we can get 3 programmers in India for the price of one local engineer. Of course, they get upset when you say we can 1000 CEOs for the price of one local CEO. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2015
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    cnh wrote: »

Rise to your level of incompetence. This is now prevalent in the Silicon Valley software industry. CEOs say we can get 3 programmers in India for the price of one local engineer. Of course, they get upset when you say we can 1000 CEOs for the price of one local CEO. :)

Steve Jobs, who some may consider over paid, albeit that he did change the world -- used to tell me -- one of those HR guys to be "offed" -- that you cannot replace one brilliant engineer with any number of mediocre engineers. The mediocre ones, even collectively, simply do not have the creativity that differentiates the brilliant one. He was absolutely correct.

I spent over 20 years getting a formal education, ending with a PhD from a major research university, and I spent 10 years at another major research university teaching and ending assistant dean of the faculty before I moved into business.

With that said, the three summers I spent in the limestone quarries and mills of southern Indiana, earning money to pay for my formal education, taught me more useful knowledge than all my years of formal education put together.

Human beings need to learn far more than they can be taught in schools; I don't care how good those schools are reputed to be.

One problem I found as a member of the faculty and administration of one of the leading universities in the world is that far too many academics have a paucity of real world knowledge, and they engender a contempt for that knowledge in their students.

There is nothing like swinging a 16-pounds sledge hammer for eight hours per day in a limestone quarry with a bunch of guys who have been doing that their entire lives to teach one what work and productivity are really like.
    Post edited by Moose68Bash on
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• tonyb
    Options
    Moose.....bravo my friend, spot on.

CNH,
    Good post also, but we old timers have a saying.....Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. You can make that apply to many professions today.

Many come out of college wanting to be the Chief, without having to do the hard work associated with getting to that position. When they actually have to do the work, they get bewildered and don't understand that the real world doesn't work on fairness or social justices that they are taught in school. It's a hard adjustment for them.

Some adjust and do well going forward, some don't and live their years with a chip on their shoulders that society did them a grave injustice. Are we really preparing these kids for the real world workplace....OR are we more concerned with handing them ideology and kicking them out the door ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Wasnt this thread closed?
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited October 2015
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Wasnt this thread closed?

I think Just Cleavage and Sausage were closed. I forget which thread turned to sausage though.

I hope Keiko is alright.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    . . . .
    CNH,
    Good post also, but we old timers have a saying.....Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. You can make that apply to many professions today.

Many come out of college wanting to be the Chief, without having to do the hard work associated with getting to that position. When they actually have to do the work, they get bewildered and don't understand that the real world doesn't work on fairness or social justices that they are taught in school. It's a hard adjustment for them.

Some adjust and do well going forward, some don't and live their years with a chip on their shoulders that society did them a grave injustice. Are we really preparing these kids for the real world workplace....OR are we more concerned with handing them ideology and kicking them out the door ?

Actually the people you mention often become managers. While they may be technically inept, they do become adept at maneuvering in the corporate "pc" world. To solve their technical problems, they hire contractors who employ foreign-born technical people on an H1B visa or directly use foreign-based technical staff in their home country. Our educational system creates the need to do this. . . . .

@xcapri79,

Your statement -- "Actually the people you mention often become managers. While they may be technically inept, they do become adept at maneuvering in the corporate "pc" world." -- is quite the indictment of a broad class of people without much in the way of explanation or justification.

What are the data and personal experiences on which you base your assertion?

It smacks of "sour grapes" to me.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options

I swear I've seen the same question asked of him in the popular cable threads. If form holds, don't hold your breath waiting for the requested data or personal experiences. :D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

I swear I've seen the same question asked of him in the popular cable threads. If form holds, don't hold your breath waiting for the requested data or personal experiences. :D

Definitely good advice! I'm breathing normally. :)

• Moose68Bash
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @xcapri,

If you want to compare our resumes to establish who is more highly qualified to speak to these subjects, I'll happily do so with you in the context of, for example, PMs between us. I prefer not to bore our fellow members of the Forum with such matters.

With that said, I'll still ask you to respond to my principal question:

"Your statement -- 'Actually the people you mention often become managers. While they may be technically inept, they do become adept at maneuvering in the corporate "pc" world.' -- is quite the indictment of a broad class of people without much in the way of explanation or justification.

What are the data and personal experiences on which you base your assertion?"

Perhaps, you think 30 years of work in industry by itself qualifies you to make such indictments.

However, I would suggest that what you were "actively" doing in industry for 30 years may be more relevant than such a general qualification as the one you expressed.

For example: I served as the senior, worldwide HR executive for three international corporations over the last 15 or so years of my professional career before I retired. Two of them were very large corporations; one was a very high-profile computer-systems start-up company that even as a start-up established operations in Europe and Japan, as well as the US.

For five years, moreover, I served as the administrative staff member of a major research university who was responsible for the H1B visa program that was necessary to ensure that the university was able to recruit the best talent -- worldwide -- to staff a large-scale energy research facility managed by the university.

And, because you imply that it is relevant vis a vis your invoking the authority of Dr. Kaki, I will add that I hold a PhD from a leading US research university, and I have testified before a Congressional panel about the importance of the H1B visa program to sustaining US leadership in the high-tech field.

So, let me get back to my question about how you support your assertion: "Actually the people you mention often become managers. While they may be technically inept, they do become adept at maneuvering in the corporate 'pc' world."

This is a broad indictment, by innuendo, that many managers are "inept" and succeed only because they are "adept at maneuvering in the corporate 'pc' world." [I assume "pc" means "politically correct."]

Certainly there are managers who rise because they know how to rise in a political environment, as corporations are, but the successful, highly competitive corporations with which I have been familiar rather quickly identify and weed-out those who are merely politically adept without also being competent in the business disciplines relevant to their roles.

• cnh
    edited October 2015
    Options

P.S. One day, I would like to get together with the Darqueknight and my associate who has a PhD in Communications to conduct some testing on various cables.

Of what relevance is this? Are we going to use cables to improve education in the U.S., perhaps? Or do cables need an H1B visa now?

• motorhead43026
    Options

P.S. One day, I would like to get together with the Darqueknight and my associate who has a PhD in Communications to conduct some testing on various cables.

Sausage
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    @xcapri,

If you want to compare our resumes to establish who is more highly qualified to speak to these subjects, I'll happily do so with you in the context of, for example, PMs between us. I prefer not to bore our fellow members of the Forum with such matters.

Please don't take this interesting banter amongst you guys to private messages, now let's see we left off where Moose schooled X and his 30 + years of putting his foot in his mouth please continue this might lead to another epic meltdown.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I have to admit X has a bit of a point. The H-1B program has been abused, and should be eliminated and replaced with something that resembles what is needed. Currently, the biggest users of H-1Bs are offshoring Indian companies who bring workers here to replace laid-off IT workers.

http://www.epi.org/blog/top-10-h1b-guestworker-offshore-outsourcing/

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    @BlueFox,

Well, things have undoubtedly changed since my days of fighting battles with the Feds to get university recruits into the country on H1B visas. This was before outsourcing was even a term in common parlance, let alone common practice.

I recall one instance in which a university engineering department was searching the world for an expert in "transonic flow coding." This may be a more common expertise these days -- some 40 years later -- but then there were only four or five people worldwide who could do this work that was required under a large research contract.

The principal investigator found one of these rarae aves in the UK. It took several weeks to demonstrate to the Feds that we had identified all qualified people, not only in the US, but worldwide and that this individual was the only one who was prepared to take the job.

And, I assure you, the salary offer was not lower than the university would have paid any other candidate.

These days, every immigration statute and regulation in force in the US is apparently being ignored, abused or both, it seems.

• BlueFox
    Options
    These days, every immigration statute and regulation in force in the US is apparently being ignored, abused or both, it seems.

Basic capitalism, find a loophole, exploit it, make a ton of money, and to h e l l with the end result.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Regulations are being abused by a victim class minority and/or entitlement mentality individuals. I don't recall a time the nation has been more divided since the civil rights movement in the 60s. Even more so now; gender, class, sexual orientation. Today we have the 1%ers and the occupiers. Where did they come from? I never heard of these terms 10 years ago. Imagine where we will be in another 10 if we continue down this path of immorality.
    The idea of class warfare has been well laid out since 1848 by Karl Marx in the "Communist Manifesto".
    In chapter 1 he writes,
    "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Freeman and slave, patrician and plebeian, lord and serf, guild-master and journeyman, in a word, oppressor and oppressed, stood in constant opposition to one another, carried on an uninterrupted, now hidden, now open fight, a fight that each time ended, either in a revolutionary reconstitution of society at large, or in the common ruin of the contending classes."

Today, we are seeing a reaffirmation of that ideology with more modern language and symbology, but it has been around for a while. We use Marxist language when we refer to the "middle class" when we really should be referring to "middle income" people.

In pre-capitalistic societies people were generally trapped within their class making the idea of class warfare or class struggle attractive to those who felt they were being taken advantage of.

In a free capitalistic society, this is not so. Through ones hard work, thrift, investment and entrepreneurial endeavors, one can improve their economic status. This is the basis of the "American Dream".

Perhaps, but seems a bit far fetched for me.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • cnh
    edited October 2015
    Options
    One thing we're never going to have to worry about is that cognitive dissonance is a problem on this forum. lol

BTW. I do believe that it is a Bluefox kind of night! I've got your back, BF, Where is the cognac?

• tonyb
    Options
    Maybe instead of going off the rails we can focus on things like this...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2015/10/28/national-assessment-educational-progress-detroit-math-reading-results/74718372/

Chart shows reading and math proficiency for 4th and 8th graders from cities all over the country. Dismal at best, considering what we spend per student. Also considering the numbers haven't changed much in decades, does anyone really think improving the PS system deserves a "stay the course" mentality ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    It's not just Detroit Mike, it's all over the country. You don't need to be an Einstein to see something isn't working and needs to change.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    No one is saying it's going to be easy, heaven knows nothing worth it ever is. All I'm saying is, shouldn't we at least try to make it better instead of throwing our hands up and accepting it because somehow along the way many were convinced they couldn't do anything ?

Why have we accepted the same results for so long, even after doubling the money spent ? Would you accept that in other aspects of your life ? Probably not, so why accept it when it comes to the most treasured things to us....our children ?

When you give people choice and promote competition, that's when results happen and costs come down. It's not a new concept, and one that has been proven time and time again, yet we ignore it when it comes to education. Which then tells me results are not the main priority but rather a kind of side effect some are wishing to happen.

Start there, choice and competition. It's a good place to start as any. Obviously there is more to it than just those 2 things but it's impossible to tackle the whole ball of wax in one swoop.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    Options
    I'm glad to see this thread get going again.First, I need to remind all that I am parochial school teacher.

First, competition is good in k-12 education with two caveats: One, all schools are non- profit. It's already be proven that "for-profit" schools suffer from a huge problem, the bottom line is not providing quality education, but making money. Two, local control. Charter schools that do well are locally run and work with the district rather than against it. It allows the charters to use the benefits of district purchasing, insurance rates, professional development, etc., etc., while focusing on its special mission.

As for the news this week regard test scores. One thing to keep in mind due to the shift to Common Core Standards two testing issues are front and center: One, first year CC students are taking tests based on CC standards with little or no foundation of CC standards. Two, other countries change standards starting with one grade and expanding each year slowly with that grade and younger. Instead, we throw all students into the pit at once creating educational chaos.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    Sorry to go off topic, but @PSOVLSK brought up cables and so I added the short comment as a postscript. The subsequent posts to mine amply illustrated and affirmed my point, so I need not respond. Thank you @Moose68Bash and thank you @Bluefox.
    Happy Halloween to all!

@xcapri79,

You are most kindly welcome - albeit that I am utterly confused about your "point" that you say I "amply illustrated and affirmed." If you care to elaborate to what you are alluding, I'm eager to read your comments.

Above all, however, I still have not read your answer to my simple, direct question:

"So, let me get back to my question about how you support your assertion: 'Actually the people you mention often become managers. While they may be technically inept, they do become adept at maneuvering in the corporate 'pc' world.'"

Any data, facts or real experiences that you can cite to support this very broad assertion?

• tonyb
    Options
    Good points Mark, but the only reason Charters need to partner with local districts is as you said, for the buying power. If we had more charters....then that might not be as much of a concern.

Also, Common core standards is more recent, any chart you look at will tell you over decades reading and math skills have gotten nowhere....even after spending double the money. So I don't think we can blame CC for much, except as you also said, throwing them all in the pit and creating even more educational chaos.

I find it hard to compare our educational process to other countries because no other countries are like us. Certainly don't mind cherry picking ideas though from the more successful foreign schools.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Moose,

I'm not even going to attempt to answer for X, he can do that himself. What I can say though is in my 40+ years bouncing around the corporate and privately held companies, and my wife's 30+ years dealing with Fortune 500 and Fortune 50 companies, X has a point....be it broad brushed or not. Lots more of those types than we care to admit, but that should not take away from the good folks out there either who do their jobs in a professional and moral standard.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    @tonyb,

Point well taken.

My personal experience suggests that a far greater number of "inept" managers get there, not because they are "pc," but because their technical expertise leads to their promotion into managerial positions for which technical competence sorely prepares them.

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    Options
    Tony,
    Charters also use many other instructional items and curriculum from the district, it's far more than buying power. Special services for kids in need, but who desire the charter experience is a big budget item. On top of the normal education cost inflation,
    districts deal with additional insurance costs, state and federal mandates for special needs students, and since the Great Recession extra payouts to retirement funds in order to fix the budget hole.

You correctly mention stagnant scores. One thing we forget is that our immigrant population from countries that didn't have a strong educational system has gone way, way up. For example, post WWII thru the 1960's much of our immigration came from Europe, a continent that valued and provided a very strong education. Since the 1980's its Central America. Without that tradition of the necessity of strong schools and schooling (prizing education) it is harder to raise scores. In my parochial school we are seeing it first hand.

Second, among my fellow staffers and other teachers in private and public we are seeing more and more students in general coming into kindergarten not ready to learn. Our speculation for the reason is that due to childcare costs getting them into kindergarten releases some or all of the financial burden. The downside is that the kids struggle instead quickly grasping. This constant state of catchup places the student on a slower/lower learning trajectory.

Solutions:
    First, all kindergartners take a learning readiness test (some schools/districts do this already). But make it required that if the child isn't ready they can't go into kindergarten that year.

Two, parental connection to the school is critical. All parents must provide some sort of volunteer time for their child's school. Now that doesn't mean it has to be during the school day. My school has committees and work crews that do things in the evening or weekends a few hours at a time. Parents who are involved have children who demonstrate greater success, and not just academically.

Three, class sizes under 30. Too many of our MS and HS have classes in excess of 40 kids. In numbers that large teachers stand zero chance of meeting the needs of all kids and their different learning styles. Take for example an English writing teacher in a nearby high school: She has 5 classes a day, average size 37 students, thats 185 students. She is required to have the students turn in an essay a week. Each paper takes on average 10 minutes to grade completely. That equals out 6 hours, 10 minutes each day in grading. And one wonders why the average teacher quits after 5 years?!

Fourth, the federal Dept. of Education should only have some 55 employees. It's only job would be to distribute out funds to each state in block grants and review reports on such spending. In my 21 years, the rules and regs that schools must follow have more than doubled, and much of it comes from overlapping and opposing requirements from well-meaning, but contradictory laws. Add in other agencies that muck up the works and the result is chaos.

Five, disband the middle school concept. Make schools k-8, 9-12. In parochial schools we've had great success in this model for many decades. Why? Because, instead of letting the 6-8 go hormonally looney we put them in positions of responsibility with little kids with buddy programs. The level of clueless behavior is way less.

Finally, create more magnet-style high schools that focus on certain areas of academia/career. STEM schools for the math/science students, performing art schools, humanities-schools, and vocation-based. In this way we are prepping kids and having them take ownership of their learning because it is something they are interested in.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3