Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Comments

• cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited August 2014
    Oh whats all the worry? He'll be fine e with the stock 800 ... the only difference between the 1000 and the 800 is a 200 placebo effect. What a thread read. Thanks for helping everyone else.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2014
    Agree, it is time to ban!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • scubasteve4sq
    scubasteve4sq Posts: 72
    edited August 2014
    Here are the facts, I paid in full and brought this group buy to the 15 unit price, at which point several others determined it was worth it for them to join in. The one mistake I made was allowing you to be a middleman in this transaction. If I had paid avel-lindberg directly we wouldn't be here right now. When you took it upon yourself to decide who is worthy and who is not you crossed the line. Your desperate need to justify to yourself the money you have spent on magical audio cables drove you to vilify me for disagreeing with you. Yes I called avel-lindberg and requested that they honor the original purchase group. First come first serve. You don't work for avel-lindberg and you don't dictate to whom they sell to.
  • scubasteve4sq
    edited August 2014
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    Oh whats all the worry? He'll be fine e with the stock 800 ... the only difference between the 1000 and the 800 is a 200 placebo effect. What a thread read. Thanks for helping everyone else.

You don't understand much about electrical theory do you? The extra 200va allows the use of a higher wpc amplifier due to the extra headroom. Its about transformer saturation not magic audio fairies in the wires
  • scubasteve4sq
    edited August 2014
    As for the refund issue I guess she misunderstood, the refund shows on paypal but has yet to clear my card.
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited August 2014
    ^^Just go away^^
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited August 2014
    a avel.jpg

You don't understand much about electrical theory do you? The extra 200va allows the use of a higher wpc amplifier due to the extra headroom. Its about transformer saturation not magic audio fairies in the wires

I may understand more than you think, or I may think I understand more than I do. You seem like an articulate, educated person with diverse interests based on what you have posted.

What I do understand is that this board allows for and encourages opposing opinions as different levels of people travel their personal audio journey when expressed in a respectful manner. I understand that I have a 1000va transformer to build my unit by doing just that. You are probably a successful person. This is not a time to throw a fit, but a time for you to reflect. If you do, you may find something more valuable than a piece of wound copper.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2014

I guess it sucks for you then that you won't be able to use a higher powered amp. Go away.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited August 2014
    Here are the facts, I paid in full and brought this group buy to the 15 unit price, at which point several others determined it was worth it for them to join in. The one mistake I made was allowing you to be a middleman in this transaction. If I had paid avel-lindberg directly we wouldn't be here right now. When you took it upon yourself to decide who is worthy and who is not you crossed the line. Your desperate need to justify to yourself the money you have spent on magical audio cables drove you to vilify me for disagreeing with you. Yes I called avel-lindberg and requested that they honor the original purchase group. First come first serve. You don't work for avel-lindberg and you don't dictate to whom they sell to.

Here are the facts:

Those of us on the Forum who treat each other with civility, dignity, and respect, enjoy both the camaraderie of the Club and the considerable benefits of belonging to it.

You did not behave with civility, dignity or respect toward others on the Forum. Their tolerance wore out, and you have paid a price -- largely a price that amounts to inconvenience.

Consider this experience a valuable lesson and move on.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited August 2014
    Why has this idiot not been banned yet?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited August 2014
    He's like the psycho ex-girlfriend that just won't shut up or go away. He insulted one of our best senior members, and the guy who was doing all the leg work for the group buy. He was warned numerous times to tone it down. Just pack up your toys and leave.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • scubasteve4sq
    edited August 2014
    Here are the facts:

Those of us on the Forum who treat each other with civility, dignity, and respect, enjoy both the camaraderie of the Club and the considerable benefits of belonging to it.

You did not behave with civility, dignity or respect toward others on the Forum. Their tolerance wore out, and you have paid a price -- largely a price that amounts to inconvenience.

Consider this experience a valuable lesson and move on.

Your absolutely correct, I already demonstrated that I have learned my lesson from this unfortunate experience, and that lesson is, always deal directly with the manufacturer, never give your money to a useless intermediary trying to rack up airline miles on your dime.
    Because really in the end all Neil did was save you guys a 5 minute phone call.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2014
    Wow, what a selfish little girl you are. Go away, you're not welcome here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited August 2014
    Your absolutely correct, I already demonstrated that I have learned my lesson from this unfortunate experience, and that lesson is, always deal directly with the manufacturer, never give your money to a useless intermediary trying to rack up airline miles on your dime.
    Neil did a hell of a lot more than make a phone call
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • scubasteve4sq
    edited August 2014
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    a avel.jpg

I may understand more than you think, or I may think I understand more than I do. You seem like an articulate, educated person with diverse interests based on what you have posted.

What I do understand is that this board allows for and encourages opposing opinions as different levels of people travel their personal audio journey when expressed in a respectful manner. I understand that I have a 1000va transformer to build my unit by doing just that. You are probably a successful person. This is not a time to throw a fit, but a time for you to reflect. If you do, you may find something more valuable than a piece of wound copper.

I think your viewing this situation through rose colored glasses. I too thought you could have opposing opinions here. But that is clearly not the case when it comes to refusing to drink the cable coolaid, As this whole fiasco has demonstrated.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited August 2014

No, here are the facts:

This tranny was discovered by Darque Knight when doing some research on how to build a better Dreadnaught. Avel-Lindberg had made a production run of these special audio grade transformers for an audiophile amp manufacturer and had a couple left over, one of which DK purchased and built a Dreadnaught with. Turned out to be a marked improvement over what he had been using, and he reported his findings to the forum.

When others wanted to buy one we were informed that it was not a stock item, but that A-L would make a production run for a minimum of 10 units, with price breaks if the quantity increased. A group buy was organized and everyone who participated received their tranny and was happy. Then others wanted one so another group buy was organized; that one went well too. This is the third group buy and, except for you, everyone understands how to participate in order to make it work.

A-L will not make these for individual customers. They require a guaranteed quantity, with payment up front, to make it worth their while to fire up the production line. They are, however, willing to ship to individual addresses.

BTW, an 800VA A-L tranny will work quite well with higher powered amps due to the fact that almost no current is passing through it. It's just that the 1000VA sounds better. I don't have the knowledge of circuit design or electrical engineering to explain it, though other forum members could. However, you'd have to give them a reason to want to.

By the way, How old are you anyway?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Hopefully, Scooby Doo just learned a very valuable life lesson. When everyone around you is an a$$ hole, you're the a$$ hole.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014

Anyone know how to calculate the cash value of air miles? At least one good thing will come out of this jerk making a fool out of himself here. I'm going to donate the cash value of the air miles I get from this purchase to the Githens Center.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2014
    Neil, thanks for doing this again and I'm sorry that one individual tried to make a mess of it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Like I said, there's one in every crowd.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited August 2014

"Where ignorance is bliss,
    'Tis folly to be wise."
    Alexander Pope

On the other hand, while you may have learned something from this experience, your reactions do not suggest that you are in any thing like a blissful state.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2014
    I just hope he finds happiness with his $2900 Dreadnought along with 9 free A/L paperweight/doorstops.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • nspindel
    edited August 2014
    Order total was $5212.80. A bit of googling tells me that air miles are worth about a penny a mile. Knowing that Scooby Doo is certainly still watching this thread even after he's been BANNED, I wouldn't want him thinking I did all this so I could pocket $52.12. And if I donate $52.12 to the Githens Center he'd probably just accuse me of doing all this for the $52.12 tax deduction. So I'm going to donate $100. George Grand, check coming your way!
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited August 2014
    nspindel wrote: »
    Hopefully, Scooby Doo just learned a very valuable life lesson. When everyone around you is an a$$ hole, you're the a$$ hole.

EXACTLY! There is a guy at work that is just like Scubadouche. Thinks he knows everything and everyone else is stupid and uninformed about just about everything in life. Yet he is to stupid to realize he is the idiot. Nobody can stand this guy either. lol
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited August 2014
    All I can say is WOW!!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited August 2014
    Order total was $5212.80. A bit of googling tells me that air miles are worth about a penny a mile. Knowing that Scooby Doo is certainly still watching this thread even after he's been BANNED, I wouldn't want him thinking I did all this so I could pocket $52.12. And if I donate $52.12 to the Githens Center he'd probably just accuse me of doing all this for the $52.12 tax deduction. So I'm going to donate $100. George Grand, check coming your way!

Never apologize, never explain; your true friends don't need it, and your true enemies will not believe you anyway. *

Classy move nevertheless, and will serve as a reminder to anyone who thinks otherwise.

* Read this on a packet of sugar in the Sayville Diner about 30 years ago, the things you remember! LOL
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2014
    ^^^^

Words of Wisdom can be found in the strangest places and from the unlikely of people"
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2014

I can't say I understand the guy, but think we are better off without him.

As far as the cost I would not have been upset if had not refunded me. I willingly paid the price before the quantity increased. I think the rest of us appreciate what you have done for us!

Looking forward to having this, thanks a lot-and to tool fan for the cases!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited August 2014
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2014
    Well looky there :) is that a sweet sight or what?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD