Dreadnaught Avel-Lindberg 1000VA Transformer Group Buy?

Mr_Hz
Mr_Hz Posts: 176
edited August 2014 in Vintage Speakers
Newbie to the forum, though I've been 'lurking' for a bit, soaking up various info on upgrades through multiple threads.

I became very engaged in the threads concerning the initial 800VA A-L DreadNaught Isolation transformer, and then the subsequent 1000VA thread. Seems the last 'group buy' of the 1000VA transformer was somewhere around mid-2012...? I haven't seen any newer threads concerning this... correct me if I'm wrong.

Wondering if since this last purchase if there are enough concerned new owners that would like to throw in for another 1000VA purchase of the AL 1000VA AV-047528 model? From reading seems we may need around at least 10 orders or better for the manufacturer to be interested in a special run. Given the expanse of time I think it would behoove me to contact Avel-Lindberg (Melanie?) to see if they are still amenable to these special 'one-off' group buys of this special transformer model.

I'll get current prices and hopefully they aren't more than 10-15% greater than what they were back in mid 2012. Of course this would all be predicated on having sufficient parties willing to order. Who would like to jump in? Please respond to this thread.

For those on the fence or new to this technical thread, do a search on 'Dreadnaught' and you'll come upon many useful threads. This is not just for non-common ground amp applications. All set-ups benefit from SDA improvements using current 800VA, and better yet, 1000VA isolation transformers. The 800VA model is off the shelf and readily available to all. A little more effort & money is involved for a 1000VA model, but from thread responses is deemed worth the additional effort and expense.

As they say.... 'In for a penny, in for a pound...' I say, 'What else are you going to find in the market place at this price point that is going to exceed (or even come close!) the performance of Polk SDA's?!' Give your Polk's some love (and some investment) and upgrade when & where it makes sense. This isn't a cheap upgrade, but the majority of responses do say that it is sonically worthwhile.

Granted for either of these you still have to purchase an aluminum (or craft) box and purchase the interface connects and cables. The prices below from past information is just for the transformer itself:

AV-047548 800VA Transformer ~ $120 + shipping (2012)
AV-047528 1000VA Transformer $155 + shipping (2012)

Ron
SDA2 owner since 1985 (2 pairs)
Very recent owner of SDA1C's and SRS2.3TL's (to replace the SDA2's when upgrades are complete)
2.3TL's - Living Room
CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
Post edited by Mr_Hz on

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited June 2014
    Someone tried to get a group-buy organized a few months ago. I remember it happening, but I don't remember who, or exactly when. I searched a little but couldn't find the thread.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited June 2014
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Someone tried to get a group-buy organized a few months ago. I remember it happening, but I don't remember who, or exactly when. I searched a little but couldn't find the thread.

As I recall, the thread did not produce enough interest to generate to order.

If there is sufficient interest this time, I'll buy one.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Mr_Hz
    edited June 2014
    Duly noted Moose (you gotta share the history behind that name! lol )....Schurkey do you have any interest?

2 down (maybe 3)... 7 or 8 to go....
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2014
    Not sure how they compare or pricing against the AV transformers, but I have special ordered fo=rom them for other projects. They hav built transformers for audio so they are not new to the game. Just a thought

http://custom-transformers.com/index.html
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mr_Hz
    edited June 2014
    txcoastal1 - interesting website. I will send something off to them and see what they say. sounds like a possibility.

At the same time I have reached out to Avel-Lindberg to see what their current requirements are for a purchase of their unique 1000VA transformer.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited June 2014
    Mr_Hz wrote: »
    Schurkey do you have any interest?
    I bought an 800 VA transformer from a member here who upgraded to the 1000 VA on the first group-buy. I purchased some SpeakOn sockets and cable ends. I have found an "enclosure" that satisfies me, and will perhaps create discussion and jocularity when I reveal it in about nine years after I actually assemble the Dreadnought.

As my speakers are 1Bs and therefore not compatible with a Dreadnought, it's towards the bottom of my project list, at least until such time as I acquire a pair of 1Cs, SRS 2 pin/blade, or SRS 2.3s.

Sorry, NOT in for the group buy...

...but if I was, I'd be contacting the transformer supplier about a TRUE 1:1 symmetrical primary/secondary transformer, instead of a re-purposed power supply unit where by design the only current transfer is from primary to secondary, and never from secondary to primary as our application requires. Yes, it seems that the minor non-symmetrical nature of the existing units is non-audible. DK is shaking his head at me, politely and with professional restraint, of course. I have the highest respect for him because of that. However, I just can't see having a custom run of transformers made knowing that there's a theoretically (but achievably) better way to do it, even if the improvement is inaudibly slight. Call it OCD and dismiss the idea.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    edited June 2014
    At the same time I have reached out to Avel-Lindberg to see what their current requirements are for a purchase of their unique 1000VA transformer.

I can answer that one. It's a minimum order of 10.
    AV-047528 1000VA Transformer $155 + shipping (2012)

My spec sheet for the custom 1000VA lists the part number as AV-047548 and it was more than $155.00. Something like $228.00 or $278.00.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2014

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2014
    This was the last buy in 2012, http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?134643-Group-buy-Avel-Lindberg-1000VA-isolation-transformers-for-DreadNought

If you own pin/blade SDA's, even if you don't run a non-common ground amp, you MUST buy one of these as it will take your SDA's to a new level.

President of Club Polk

• Mr_Hz
    edited July 2014
    Thanks F1nut for the additional info. I'm committed to try and get the best sound out of my newly acquired 2.3TL's. I'm sure an 800VA transformer will do the job...but with the 1000VA lurking out there, it makes me want to reach a little higher.

Dang, same sickness afflicts me with classic cars... can't keep well enough alone...(owner of a few Alfa Romeos...don't ask! lol)

Only myself & Moose68Bash so far...need another 8 folks willing to commit to a purchase of $155+shipping, but realizing to get the final project done you're in for about ~$250 total.

Read the Dreadnaught threads and the reports of even better spatiality! Come on, money well spent on a technology (SDA) improvement you aren't going to get with any other manufacturer.

Who else wants to venture forth in to 1000VA territory ???
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Mr_Hz
    edited July 2014
    I just reviewed 'Dave's - fjross's post from back in April of 2012 and prices are a more than I originally read/understood/anticipated/posted:

So here it goes

10 pcs. $268.43 plus $11.35 shipping= $280.00

15 pcs. $244.16 plus $11.35 shipping=$256.00

You still have to buy some connectors, the aluminum housing and a bit of additional install hardware. A commitment to better sound for sure.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Mr_Hz
    edited July 2014
    I've gotten a response from Melanie at Avel-Lindberg. She did confirm that the AV-047548 1000VA transformer is still available per special order and that 10 units is the minimum needed for a production run. She didn't have current prices so she will get back to me in this regard.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • F1nut
    edited July 2014
    Just speculation, but the lack of response could be that you are basically a new guy with only 14 posts. Meaning folks are a bit leary of giving money to someone they don't know. Perhaps one of the more senior members would be willing to take over. No, not me.

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited July 2014
    ^^^ Spot on^^^
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited July 2014
    I've done business with Mr_Hz, and he's been a standup guy.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    edited July 2014
    You can add one more to the list; I missed out on the first one and I've been hoping there'd be another.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited July 2014
    I did the last group buy, I'm happy to be the middle man once again. I already have the 1000VA transformer and can attest to it's glory. If there's a group of 10 people ready to go, I'm happy to help out and facilitate with Melanie again.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • crispybrown
    crispybrown Posts: 21
    edited July 2014
    I would be in for a group buy although I remain skeptical - how would replacing a wire with a transformer help if I don't run bridged amps? If it does, are there other 'random' places in audio circuits we can throw expensive inductors too and expect an improvement? :-). It smacks of cutting a digital signal to vinyl then playing it back and claiming better sound to me!
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    I'd loan you mine so you can hear for yourself, but my cables are terminated with Speak-On connectors.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    edited July 2014
    crispybrown; I'm also running a single amp but it was a noticeable upgrade when I went from the standard interconnect cable to an A1 cable (thanks Jesse) I'm thinking and hoping there'll be another noticeable improvement stepping up to the Avel.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2014
    Interesting, I think I will try if you get enough interest.

I guess once you have enough, let us all know, maybe a PM? I get very busy at work and go a while without checking in here.

I guess my priorities are upside down¿¿
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    So far we have:

Mr_Hz
    Moose68Bash
    Motorstereo
    crispybrown
    Vmaxer

Halfway there.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited July 2014
    If you guys get enough interest, and get them ordered I will build the aluminum cases for them if you all would like to go that route.

I will even make them for the speakons or binding posts..
  • nspindel
    edited July 2014
    And as the owner of one of Larry's cases, I highly recommend you take advantage of that offer!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited July 2014
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    If you guys get enough interest, and get them ordered I will build the aluminum cases for them if you all would like to go that route.

any wonder why this guy is such a peach? Look no further than this.
    way to go Larry:biggrin:

If I had a set of SDA's that this would work on I'd go all in myself also. Sitting on the fence and watching these go by sure sucks....
  • vmaxer
    edited July 2014

Now this really sweetens the deal--how much??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    edited July 2014
    All you effers better buy the SpeakOn versions, so I get my design commission.

j/k :cheesygrin:

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited July 2014
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Now this really sweetens the deal--how much??

If I remember right price was $80 + shipping and PP fees. Should be able to keep them the same..
  • vmaxer
    edited July 2014
    If I remember right price was $80 + shipping and PP fees. Should be able to keep them the same..

We'll I hope this works out, count me in for the box if it does.

Thanks a lot!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited July 2014
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    any wonder why this guy is such a peach? Look no further than this.
    way to go Larry:biggrin:

If I had a set of SDA's that this would work on I'd go all in myself also. Sitting on the fence and watching these go by sure sucks....

Are you sure you never will?
    Might be worth jumping in.As soon as you miss this you'll fine a minty pair of 2.3tl's the next town over.
    For $200 bucks!
    It just works that way brother.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!