Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Crossover Modification Thread

Comments

• Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited May 2013
    VR3 wrote: »
    The blue cap is MR, very small value.

Interesting. Tweeter network? I assumed it would be a pop can hence why I never considered. (That and I have a fear that the single cap will cost me 4 bills)
    Most speakers in the industry are right side positive.

Do you convert the vintage polks or leave them as is? I only ask because I did my plates with Positive on the left. Wanted to keep it old school.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited May 2013
    The cap is like a .22 uf (extremely small) - cost approximately $40.00 - if you were replace the 12uf caps it adds about $1500 on to the price, give or take so it can get pricey quick...

I do *every* speaker that comes through here right side positive, just to be consistent.

There is no right or wrong though, as long as you wire it with the correct polarity..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited May 2013
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I'm just figuring layout right now, but you get the idea..:cool:
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Watch your inductor placement

Looking good though! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    Watch your inductor placement

Looking good though! :)

The only thing I see is I need to stager the .7 and .4 inductors, and not have them straight across from each other..
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    I would do one vertical, horizontal and flat just to make sure. Better safe than sorry
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    I am interesting in seeing our final product, are you going to leave it exposed or put it in a case?
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    I am interesting in seeing our final product, are you going to leave it exposed or put it in a case?

It will go in a case, there will be another piece of delrin underneath this one with the Solen 16mh inductor..

I have a good amount of work to do to get it done..
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Very nice!

The 6.8uf MR looks odd.. :-P - Looks like a 5 hour energy drink!
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    Very nice!

The 6.8uf MR looks odd.. :-P - Looks like a 5 hour energy drink!

LOL!! I had to get to 13.5 some how..
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I use the 6.8uf as well, never used a 6.8 MR though, hehe
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I use the 6.8uf as well, never used a 6.8 MR though, hehe

Yeah, but if your going overkill, might as well jump over the cliff..
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    This is true.

The big one I am working on the only stipulation to it was "It has to drop in and that's that" so... ya know... :)
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Yeah, but if your going overkill, might as well jump over the cliff..

I am very curious to see and hear these, that's one reason I didn't want to tear down my old crossovers, so I can do some A/B testing, and in the end, I can sell my old set of crossovers, fully hot rodded, plug n play to someone that has been on the fence ,and might not have the skills to do the work..
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    The MR is like the cocaine of speakers...

The true down side to the MR is the burn in, an easy 250 hours before it even achieves 25% of its performance then a switch just goes off. It is the one audio experience to this day that floors me.
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    The MR is like the cocaine of speakers...

The true down side to the MR is the burn in, an easy 250 hours before it even achieves 25% of its performance then a switch just goes off. It is the one audio experience to this day that floors me.

I sure hope your right, as this is the last time I tear down these speakers, all funds from here on out go to new gear.. LOL!!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited May 2013
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    ...this is the last time I tear down these speakers...

Sure. Whatever you say.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    haha

This is even looking way sweeter!
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    sure. Whatever you say.

lol!!! What more could one do after this? MR caps, external crossovers?
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    I guess you could maybe go to Duelund caps, $800 or so a piece - better or worse, preference? Hard to say
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    I guess you could maybe go to Duelund caps, $800 or so a piece - better or worse, preference? Hard to say

Ummmm, no thanks!!:cool: I think we can all agree that even pulling the trigger on the MR's for these speakers is over board crazy..:lol:... And add the cost of the Duelund resistors? Yeah I find it a little crazy..:twisted:
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    I hear you on that! :)
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Hey Larry!

Why don't you use NL8 connections for your internal wiring if you are going external, or better yet -

hdd78rap_large.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    Hey Larry!

Why don't you use NL8 connections for your internal wiring if you are going external, or better yet -

hdd78rap_large.jpg

I had planed on using the NL's
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Ah, sorry - I saw the Molex on the layout and was curious...

NL8s are incredible! :)
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    This is a fun mod! :)
  • blairfrischx
    blairfrischx Posts: 259
    edited May 2013
    I feel it needs repeating once more - those caps are enormous!

Great work, Trey.
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thanks man! :]

The caps are huge for sure! I can't wait to see the final product!
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    So who is the lucky one that gets them??