Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Crossover Modification Thread

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    edited March 2013
    Just returned from Richard's house -

I was very impressed with the sonic differences with the modifications! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    edited March 2013
    VR3 wrote: »
    Just returned from Richard's house -

I was very impressed with the sonic differences with the modifications! :)

I will give a more detailed review after a week or two of "burn-in". However, initially I am very pleased. I spun my reference vinyl (Miles Davis - Kind of Blue) and immediately noticed new highs and deeper lows. In particular, I am very happy to hear the cymbals much more clearly. Also, both piano and cymbal notes have longer trails. I have a set of Larry's rings that have yet to be installed.

This is a must modification. Thanks Trey!

Richard
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited March 2013
    Did you re-use the stock internal wiring between the terminal plate and crossovers? It looks brand new and so cleanly installed if it is in fact stock wire.

Also, change out those old shotty jumpers.

Gosh I want my new crossovers sooo bad!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    edited March 2013
    Trey I will order my parts piece by piece as I go along with the MR's..
  • VR3
    edited March 2013
    Did you re-use the stock internal wiring between the terminal plate and crossovers? It looks brand new and so cleanly installed if it is in fact stock wire.

That is the stock wiring, the last generation of SDAs I believe used all white wiring which was completed extremely neat! :)

Also, change out those old shotty jumpers.

Me and Richard talked about this - it is on the list! :)

Gosh I want my new crossovers sooo bad!

Soon! :-P

Larry - let me know man! :)

Richard - I am glad to hear you are enjoying them and cant wait to hear your thoughts as they burn in! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited March 2013
    More pictures for fun!
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    Even more pictures!
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    Thanks guys!
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Nice! Are those mine?

The ones in the middle are yours Sal! :)
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    More 1.2TL pics!! :)
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
    Nice work Trey!!
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    This one starts tomorrow -

Tweeter Network -
    Clarity Cap MR (All the way)
    Mundorf Mox Resistors
    Jantzen Inductors

Midbass/SDA Network -
    Clarity Cap ESA
    Jantzen Inductors

Custom shelf that attaches to the stock crossover plate for a drop and go install, powered coated satin black
    Delrin substrate that mounts to the shelf, nylon stand offs between substrate and shelf
    Point to point wiring
    Round Aluminum terminal plates
    WBT Binding Post
    9 awg SDA Cable, NL4 Connections
    Will be a drop in replacement...
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    Yeah this is going to be "bad ****"
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
    Trey,

Clear your inbox!!:cool:

Do you have a set of the Solen inductors? 1.0mh and 2.0mh I need two of each.. For my 1.2tl's of course..

Larry..
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
    Yeah this is going to be "bad ****"

That looks awesome!!
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    Thanks man -

I cleared the inbox -

I do not have any inductors but I am about to do a Jantzen order any day... :)
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    MR caps reporting for duty - SIR!
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
    Where did the blue coating on the leads come from?
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    I added that! :)
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2013
    I added that! :)

Please share!! What do you use?
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    It is just like blue heat shrink, nothing special! :)
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    The whole tweeter network - roughed in - caps not connected
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    Test mount - top plate where all of the molex connections will go - this is just a test fit - don't like the stand offs on the corners, most likely will scrap that as they are not needed and it bends the bottom board - will look into alternate mounting... :)
  • VR3
    edited April 2013
    This is going to be SICK!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2013
    Those are beautiful Trey!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited May 2013
    Nice work, as always
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thanks guys, much appreciated!

This is definitely a mod that looks cooler in person. It is such a large crossover...
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    edited May 2013
    Makes me want to move back to NC! Detail oriented as always, Trey.:wink:
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    edited May 2013
    It does look much nicer in person. We miss you Lightman1. Even though you are a slacker, it sucks you are down there. SOOOooo much going on up here right now.....but enough about that. LMK when you head up here next. BTW, PM me your new phone #.

Big Daddy T.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Russ!!! Are you coming back to NC anytime soon??

This mod looks way cooler in person. I do not think the picture really capture the size of the mod...

Thanks guys!! :)