Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Crossover Modification Thread

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    edited May 2013
    I don't believe he is a member... Could be wrong.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    edited May 2013
    The only thing that will bother me, when I get done is, I will never know what gave me the biggest improvement. Will it be going point to point? (eliminating the board), going external with the crossovers, or the MR caps w/Duelund resistors?

Or maybe just maybe, there will be no improvement at all?? I doubt that will happen, but will it be a big or small improvement?
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    I think the MR caps will provide you a pretty substantial upgrade. PTP in theory should not gain you too much...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Everyone loves a little bit of personalization! :)
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Man wiring that up was a tight fit! The molex connections are recessed into the Delrin, individual holes drilled, wiring soldered up to the delrin and then a bead of hot glue around to secure, extremely strong mount, IMO
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited May 2013
    Those are sick Trey. Really well done.
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Drenis wrote: »
    \

Thank you sir! :)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    edited May 2013
    Drenis wrote: »

+10000
  • zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited May 2013
    Awesome job, those are really sick, would love to hear them.
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thanks guys!! :-D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    edited May 2013
    attachment.php?attachmentid=85098&d=1368395030

Oh HELL yeah baby!!!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Tommy Boy! :-P
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    More cool teaser pics!! :)
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Mirror imaged
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited May 2013
    Trey,

Those are a work of art!

You've definitely taken crossover modifications for SRSs to a whole new level.

Congratulations! Well done!

Onward and upward!

Phil
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thank you Phil for the kind comments as always! :-D
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited May 2013
    mind if I ask how much those monsters cost?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Up there...... :-P

Just to give an idea, the MRs alone were around $1,500
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    edited May 2013
    Those are impressive!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thank you sir! :) I always like to hear kind words from Uncle Jesse!
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2013
    VR3 wrote: »
    Thank you sir! :) I always like to hear kind words from Uncle Jesse!

He's just a good ol'e boy...:mrgreen:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Hehe, Jesse is a gentleman and a scholar, for sure! :)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2013

• zane77
    zane77 Posts: 1,696
    edited May 2013
    Wish you hadn't posted that picture of Jessie, now that's what I will always think of LOL
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited May 2013
    VR3 wrote: »
    Mirror imaged

Elegant! Really nice work!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thank you sir! :-D
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    edited May 2013
    :eek:
    Now I want a pair of 1.2TLs just so I can stop having crossover envy.
    :mrgreen:
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    haha! :)

The 1.2TL is a BEAST for sure! :)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    edited May 2013
    I have had the pleasure of seeing these almost completed in person. My hat goes off to Trey for the professionalism and build on these things. Trust me when I say that they are not just "slapped together". They look much better in person and these pics, while good, are not as impressive as when you are holding the entire modded crossover in your hands. I'm so glad he's doing the external crossovers for my Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signature Series speakers!

Every mod I have ever heard Trey do sounded much, much better than the stock counterpart.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~