Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Crossover Modification Thread

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited May 2013
    Ohhhh yeah!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited May 2013
    Are you going to connect the ends of the two side panels to cut down on vibration?
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2013
    Have you calculated how much internal volume this XO is going to take up inside the box? There is only 6.77 cubic feet inside the SRS and these monsters look like they will take up at least a foot of that.

Looks great Trey. I do volunteer to do a field test for you.:mrgreen:
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    I think there is a lot of confusion on how this is built -

The shelf is mounted to the crossover plate. The shelf itself is all one piece of aluminum and the sides are welded to the bottom shelf. The aluminum itself is air craft grade aluminum, extremely dead material as is.

Once the delrin substrate it mounted to it via the nylon washers, all I can manage to make the aluminum do is "thud"... it is extremely dead. I am actually impressed just how dead it is.

As far as strength, you could literally stand on the welded portion and with the Delrin mounted on to it - you can not even flex the sides.

Thanks guys! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited May 2013
    Are you going to connect the ends of the two side panels to cut down on vibration?
    Have you calculated how much internal volume this XO is going to take up inside the box? There is only 6.77 cubic feet inside the SRS and these monsters look like they will take up at least a foot of that.

Looks great Trey. I do volunteer to do a field test for you.:mrgreen:
    VR3 wrote: »
    I think there is a lot of confusion on how this is built -

The shelf is mounted to the crossover plate. The shelf itself is all one piece of aluminum and the sides are welded to the bottom shelf. The aluminum itself is air craft grade aluminum, extremely dead material as is.

Once the delrin substrate it mounted to it via the nylon washers, all I can manage to make the aluminum do is "thud"... it is extremely dead. I am actually impressed just how dead it is.

As far as strength, you could literally stand on the welded portion and with the Delrin mounted on to it - you can not even flex the sides.

Thanks guys! :)

I think it looks fantastic, and I can tell its a solid piece. I am more concerned with it affecting airflow to the passives..
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited May 2013
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I think it looks fantastic, and I can tell its a solid piece. I am more concerned with it affecting airflow to the passives..

I don't think airflow is a concern. My understanding is that the backwave pressure created by the MW's is what drives the passives, and this would only be affected by diminishing the internal volume of the cabinets. I doubt these Xovers would have that much effect on the volume. Disclaimer: this is all IMHO.

BTW, Nice work Trey!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thanks guys!

air flow should not be an issue... There will be approximately 2" or more on each side of space, approximately 1.5" or more along the back plus all of the open space in the center.

Plus air will pass through the spaces between the components as well...

I actually spent a good hour drawing out different shelf ideas and this one made the most sense.

interestingly enough this has enough room to mount all MR caps if you relocate the large inductor....
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2013
    attachment.php?attachmentid=84655&stc=1&d=1367198805

I would not add any electrical insulation to those IMHO (blue heatshrink).
    May not make alot of difference being that short, but will make a difference.
    I would never add an unneeded dielectric.

JMHO, and YMMV.

Beautiful work BTW!
    As usual Trey, beautimus work!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Lol... Come on Paul... That's like 1.5" of heat shrink.....

Thanks man!
  • Systems
    edited May 2013
    Cotton maybe, but personally I would never use polyolefin.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited May 2013
    Its not a bad idea at all (1.5" x 2 = 3" EACH though).

I would use teflon or cotton.

What I like about your work Trey is you show pictures for all your work, and different speaker types.
    For some reason most people that do your type of work, are either scared or shy away from showing their work.
    Transparency in your work says alot.
    Personally, I would have someone who shows their work do mine as opposed to someone who never shows any pics of their work.
    Not to mention, it is excellent quality work..........Ole school like you don't see much anymore.

For sure!:cheesygrin:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited May 2013
    attachment.php?attachmentid=84655&stc=1&d=1367198805

That is some beautiful work my friend.........and I know how hard that is too do!:lol:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Paul! :) Mucho appreciated!

In approximately 2 months I will be showing off a super large project that makes this one look extremely small... :-P
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited May 2013
    So why no heat shrink?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Systems
    edited May 2013
    VR3 wrote: »
    Thanks Paul! :) Mucho appreciated!

In approximately 2 months I will be showing off a super large project that makes this one look extremely small... :-P

I bet you say that to all the ladies!:redface::redface::cheesygrin::lol:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    13 awg internal wiring!
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Tweeter network cable
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Internal Wiring
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    What wire are you using in the crossovers??
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Supra Rondo, I like it because it sounds great and is ultra flexible
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Molex connectors
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Gold Disconnects
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    How are you mounting the Molex blocks to the crossover? I'm going to use them as well, but I'm thinking of maching slots for them to sit in..
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    I am going to route out a slot for them to fit into, will be a tight fit for sure! :)
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Gimpod Mods still rocking and rolling! :-D
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    That's a whole lotta wire! :)
  • Toolfan66
    edited May 2013
    That looks so awesome!!! Can't wait to do mine!!
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    Thank you sir! :)

I hope to finish up my big 1.2TL mod here by the end of the week! :)
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited May 2013
    Is that a small blue SA cap in the last picture? I thought MR's were big so I assume it's not a MR cap?

That is nutters... Can't imagine how mine will populate.

Edit: Can I also ask why you reverse polarity on the plates? As in, positive on the left and negative on the right when looking at the plates from the binding post side.
  • VR3
    edited May 2013
    The blue cap is MR, very small value.

Most speakers in the industry are right side positive.