The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.2 - Upgrade to 1000VA Transformer

Comments

• transmaster
    transmaster Posts: 428
    edited April 2012
    I popped the cover off of one of these Sunair receivers to see if I could tell who made it, all I could find out is it was made in the USA. In the context of subject of this thread this transformer would be better off used as a fishing weight.:cheesygrin:
    Radio Station W7ITC
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited April 2012
    headrott wrote: »
    Would it actually be the AV-047528? Or just a 1KVA transformer with the potted center and a magnetic screen on it?

Greg
    Greg,
    From what I understand it would be the same AV-047528 as DK's and Toolfan's. I am really intrested on the results of the Piltron compared to the A-L. I will keep in touch with A-L regarding price and lead times and post it as soon as I hear some info. If the Piltron results are better, I will most likely end up purchasing one of them.

Dave
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2012
    I'm with you on that Dave. If the Plitron is better I will get that, if not I am definately in on getting the AV-047528 if that's truely is what they are manufacturing. If you could verify with A-L that it is the AV-047528 we would appreciate it. Thanks for doing this Dave. I look forward to Ray's results and news about the A-L transformer.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited April 2012
    I have received the Plitron transformer. I will start the evaluation later this evening.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2012
    I have received the Plitron transformer. I will start the evaluation later this evening.

Jeez, that was fast. Ray, do you plan to use the cable cooker or did that not do much for the testing ?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2012
    My thoughts on the new Avel transformer that me and Ray got, but mine has got much better in sound after putting some hours on it, The SDA effect is the best it has ever been since I had these speakers. When the wife comments on how good it sounds and points out where she is hearing things I know things are Good...

I hope his findings on the Plitron are positive just not sure I want to spend the money on another transformer... LOL..
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited April 2012
    I assume some of you gents are even using these trannies with common ground amps ?
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2012
    thsmith wrote: »
    Jeez, that was fast. Ray, do you plan to use the cable cooker or did that not do much for the testing ?

I am going to use the exact same testing and conditioning methods used with the A-L transformer, including conditioning with the Cable Cooker.

The Cable Cooker did provide improvements, as noted in the first post in this thread.
  • thsmith
    edited April 2012
    Kewl
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2012
    Well it has to be someone from here, why not sell it here??
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    edited April 2012
    FTGV wrote: »
    I assume some of you gents are even using these trannies with common ground amps ?

I am with very good results.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2012
    Lasareath wrote: »

That's not my design if it only requires 2 hours of burn in.:wink:

There are a few other technical inaccuracies, but I'm sure someone will drop him a note regarding those.
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Well it has to be someone from here, why not sell it here??

Maybe it's a lurker with low or no post count who can't sell here. Who do we know in Ft. Lauderdale?
  • thsmith
    edited April 2012
    If you were going to use MIT S3 shotguns with the AI, which end would be the AMP side for the cable, the speaker or the AI or it don't matter?
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2012
    I would not use a directional cable with the AI-1 because signals flow in two directions through it (left speaker to right and right speaker to left).
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2012
    I would not use a directional cable with the AI-1 because signals flow in two directions through it (left speaker to right and right speaker to left).

I have been using MIT Shotgun 3's with fantastic results, and have no plans on taking them out..
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2012
    thsmith,

I need to send you a PM and your box is full.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2012
    I have been using MIT Shotgun 3's with fantastic results, and have no plans on taking them out..

I share Ray's opinion on this, but I've been meaning to get MIT's opinion. Hopefully I'll remember to call them tomorrow.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    edited April 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    I share Ray's opinion on this, but I've been meaning to get MIT's opinion. Hopefully I'll remember to call them tomorrow.

I would like to know what they say Jesse, and I too would have shared that opinion because I was worried about using them being a directional cable but they work great and I have a lot of hours on them with zero issues.

I should add that the network boxs worried me more then the cable it's self using it for the dreadnought.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited April 2012
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I should add that the network boxs worried me more then the cable it's self using it for the dreadnought.

Right, my concern is with the boxes, not the cable.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• fjross
    edited April 2012
    Ray, are you getting close to providing the results of the Piltron??? Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dave
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk SDA-2's
  • Toolfan66
    edited April 2012
    F1nut wrote: »
    Right, my concern is with the boxes, not the cable.

I would assume if there was going to be problems I would have experienced them by now. But I am curious to know what there thoughts are on this..
  • thsmith
    edited April 2012
    thsmith,

I need to send you a PM and your box is full.

Box cleaned out.

Hope it nots bad news like the Plitron is defective:cry:
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2012
    I have completed an evaluation of the Plitron 1000VA 6166 isolation transformer. A full review will be posted sometime next week.

In summary, the sound quality of the Plitron was between that of the A-L 800VA Y236906 and the A-L 1000VA AV-047528. The 1000VA A-L provided a wider and deeper sound stage, more image weight and more overall clarity and detail, particularly in the bass. The A-L is larger and has better build quality than the Plitron.

Plitron-AL-1000VA-s.jpg
    Figure 1. The A-L transformer is 23% larger, 16% heavier and has better construction quality than the
    Plitron.

PlitronShieldOff-s.jpg
    Figure 2. The Plitron transformer's metal shield is much thinner than the Avel Lindberg's and is not
    permanently attached like the Avel Lindberg's.

DN-Pli-Tuner-corr-s.jpg
    Figure 3. Initial burn in and listening evaluation setup. The tuner on the floor at the right was used to play
    music overnight.

Plit-Cab-Ckr-s.jpg
    Figure 4. The Plitron transformer was burned in for 21 hours on the Audiodharma Cable Cooker.

DN-Plit-Vertical-s.jpg
    Figure 5. Both the Avel Lindberg and Plitron transformers sounded better when oriented vertically.

My AI-1 Dreadnought sits on its left side behind the right speaker. I would prefer it to rest on its feet, but there is not enough space between the speaker and the wall. When I brought the Dreadnough out front for comparative listening with the Plitron transformer, it was sat horizontally on its feet. There was a small lack of clarity and detail. Setting the Dreadnought on its side restored the sound to its prior quality. Up to then, I had not considered that orientation might affect the transformer's sound performance.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited April 2012
    OK Dave, it sounds like you are up in getting a "minimum order" of AV-047528 since it sounds better than the Plitron. Did you make sure it would actually be the AV-047528 transformer and not a potted 1KVA transformer with a magnetic shield put onto it? It will not be the same (sound as good) as the AV-047528. I would estimate it will sound about the same as the Plitron. That said, I am definately in on gettin one of the AV-047528 transformers. Thanks Dave.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • thsmith
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Ray!
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    edited April 2012
    I have interest in the AL AV-047528 1KAV Transformer.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited April 2012
    . When I brought the Dreadnough out front for comparative listening with the Plitron transformer, it was sat horizontally on its feet. There was a small lack of clarity and detail. Setting the Dreadnought on its side restored the sound to its prior quality. Up to then, I had not considered that orientation might affect the transformer's sound performance.
    Clearly the flux field built up within the A-L's core is less affected by the pull of magnetic north when oriented horizontally.Though my amplifiers utilize Plitron's I have found it sonically benificial to rotate them approx. 180 degrees.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited April 2012
    Thanks to both Ray and thsmith for this evaluation. Lots of time, effort and $ were involved to add to the knowledge base. :cool:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • fjross
    edited April 2012
    headrott wrote: »
    OK Dave, it sounds like you are up in getting a "minimum order" of AV-047528 since it sounds better than the Plitron. Did you make sure it would actually be the AV-047528 transformer and not a potted 1KVA transformer with a magnetic shield put onto it? It will not be the same (sound as good) as the AV-047528. I would estimate it will sound about the same as the Plitron. That said, I am definately in on gettin one of the AV-047528 transformers. Thanks Dave.

Greg
    I will confirm with A-L that the specs for the minimum order run will be identical to the AV-047528 and not just a modified Y-236956 1000va. I was in touch last week and melonie said that she would check to see how there were coming along with the pricing and lead time. I will check on Monday again.
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    Polk SDA-2's
  • DarqueKnight
    edited April 2012
    FTGV wrote: »
    Clearly the flux field built up within the A-L's core is less affected by the pull of magnetic north when oriented horizontally.Though my amplifiers utilize Plitron's I have found it sonically benificial to rotate them approx. 180 degrees.

Did you mean to say "oriented vertically"? Better sound was obtained with vertical orientation (case resting on its side).

Did you mean to say 90 degrees? A 180 degree rotation would turn them upside down if they were already horizontally oriented.