New LSiM owners thread!

Comments

• bslep
    bslep Posts: 24
    edited October 2011
    Face and CFrizz thanks for the comments. I am thoroughly enjoying them.
  • bslep
    edited October 2011
    I've read nothing but good things about the 703's. Am interested to hear your thoughts on the 705's. Thanks. Bob
  • bslep
    edited October 2011
    Dawgfish and Drenis - thank you. I have to say I am really impressed with the caliber of folks on this forum. Thanks to everyone for your hospitality. Bob
  • robert0507
    robert0507 Posts: 148
    edited October 2011
    Any opinions on how the Lsim 707 would compare to the paradgim studio 100's? :question:
  • bslep
    edited October 2011
    robert0507 wrote: »
    Any opinions on how the Lsim 707 would compare to the paradgim studio 100's? :question:

Sorry I've never heard the Paradigms.
  • trinidesignz
    trinidesignz Posts: 97
    edited October 2011
    Question to you guys, I'm really want to buy one of the LSim speakers but which one will be best suited to be powered by a XPA-5?.
    Samsung-55 LED
    Denon 3808ci
    RTi A5 (Fronts)
    CSi A6 (Center)
    FXi 5 (Rears)
    Velodyne DPS-12 (Sub)
    EMOTIVA XPA-5 :D:cool::p;):)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2011
    I would stay with what you have with that amplifier.

RT1
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited October 2011
    I would stay with what you have with that amplifier.

RT1
    I am inclined to agree. My experience is that these speakers are incredibly sensitive to just about everything in the system, including the room itself. They are a great speaker, but they demand the very best from everything else around them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • trinidesignz
    edited October 2011
    Dam I was really looking forward to owning one those babies. Well I guess I'll have to stick with RTi then!
    Samsung-55 LED
    Denon 3808ci
    RTi A5 (Fronts)
    CSi A6 (Center)
    FXi 5 (Rears)
    Velodyne DPS-12 (Sub)
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited October 2011
    Dam I was really looking forward to owning one those babies. Well I guess I'll have to stick with RTi then!

Actually I'm going to have to go against the opinions of some of my esteemed colleagues on this one. I used to own an Emotiva XPA-3. I felt it was actually a pretty good amp. Yes it was much better suited for home theater which it does great at than for two channel duties. Emotiva amps can be on the bright side, which is what makes them less than ideal for two channel. I also used to own a complete RTi home theater setup. The RTIs are also on the bright side. Put the two together..........well you get the idea. The LSis and LSiMs are much more laid back in sound than the RTIs. Pairing a set of LSiMs with the XPA will tame some of the amps brightness. This will be a pretty good setup initially, but the LSiMs will really come alive later on if you decide to add an amp that is more musical and continue to upgrade stuff as we all have a tendency to do. Every now and then I used to slip my XPA-3 into my two channel system with my tube pre, and tube source components. The tubes really tamed the XPA and played through my SDA-1Cs this setup sounded a lot better than most on here would have believed. Was it as good as some of the B&Ks and Tube Anthems that I run, no it was not. It was much closer than one would think though and actually rivaled some other amps that are much more respected throughout the hifi community. I say go for it.
  • trinidesignz
    edited October 2011
    Thanks Dawg for the info! That makes a lot of sense with my current setup.
    Samsung-55 LED
    Denon 3808ci
    RTi A5 (Fronts)
    CSi A6 (Center)
    FXi 5 (Rears)
    Velodyne DPS-12 (Sub)
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited October 2011
    No problem. If you end up getting some LSiMs, let us know what you think. I'm loving mine!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2011

While these guys know their stuff, I wouldn't let them talk you out of upgrading your speakers just because they are biased against Emotiva products. What is important is that you have the power in place to drive them properly from the get go, and that's the biggest hurdle to cross.

So buy whichever of the LSiM speakers that floats your boat and let YOUR ears decide if it sounds good.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • arty
    arty Posts: 8
    These speakers are pure garbage. Had them for 4 days and returned them. I will stick with my 40 year old speakers that sound 100 times better. All hype to sell them then they sound like pure crap.Any speaker that needs to be pulled away from a wall and has to have 3 to 400 watt amps to get them to sound better than a transistor radio in my books is garbage. Stay clear of these especially with the 6 x 9 car speakers in them.The mids are so bad.Good luck with them if you decide on them.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    arty wrote: »
    These speakers are pure garbage. Had them for 4 days and returned them. I will stick with my 40 year old speakers that sound 100 times better. All hype to sell them then they sound like pure crap.Any speaker that needs to be pulled away from a wall and has to have 3 to 400 watt amps to get them to sound better than a transistor radio in my books is garbage. Stay clear of these especially with the 6 x 9 car speakers in them.The mids are so bad.Good luck with them if you decide on them.

Welcome to the forum!
    Truly looking forward to more of your insightful speaker reviews!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969

Hey, I’m having a party tonight. Wanna come and talk about speaker break-in and generally wax poetic about 6 X 9 car speakers? BYO.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2019
    He is proabaly driving them with a peanut AVR. And trying to biamp with said peanut AVR.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Glashub
    Glashub Posts: 43
    edited February 2019

Thank you for the review. "Pure garbage", "Pure crap." Clearly you are into purity but, alas, I'm not a crapophile so I have no idea what "pure crap" sounds like. But, man, you have speakers that sound exactly "100 times better" -- not sure how you measure that -- but I want to hear them, hell, I'd be happy if I could just see them. Pictures, please.
  • K_M
    Glashub wrote: »

Thank you for the review. "Pure garbage", "Pure crap." Clearly you are into purity but, alas, I'm not a crapophile so I have no idea what "pure crap" sounds like. But, man, you have speakers that sound exactly "100 times better" -- not sure how you measure that -- but I want to hear them, hell, I'd be happy if I could just see them. Pictures, please.

Most audiophilia is littered with useless hyperbole, I think he just took it to a new high...(or low depending on how you see things)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    when I asked his thoughts, he says “well I know you like it, but honestly the radio in my Chevy Spark sounds better.” WTH Man!

I mean you just can’t beat nails on a chalkboard highs and bloated or nonexistent bass. LMAS...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • K_M
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Aren't most amps between 3 and 400 watts? :p

You have mastered Humour!
  • A man that drives a Chevy Spark should not diss anything......lol.

Yeah you got to know my brother. He brings frugality to a whole other level.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Necrothread much?

Well, at least we see that the LSiM weren't his cup of tea, or coffee, or whatever he's drinking.
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H
  • arty
    arty Posts: 8
    Small correction. 1. I am not drinking anything and 2. it should have said between 300 to 400 watts per speaker if you guys want to get technical about it. You can sit here all you want and talk about these speakers but they are PURE GARBAGE . If you know anything about great sound it would have slapped you in the face within 24 hrs. You can sit here and fool yourself that they are great but they are not.The mid's and highs are so bad I cant believe they even released this speaker. I see that the marketing got you suckers to fall for it but I am sorry . Again I say stay clear of this speaker. Old technology and more for EGO of some.Size ,weight, you know same guys who like big trucks to compensate for other short comings....LOL Really listen to them then tell me I am lying. They are 100 pound plant stands.They are soooooo many better choices out there for the same if not a few bucks more. Don't get sucked in by the hype.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Where are you man, you’re missing the party of the century!
  • Gee arty, I sure hope they hid all the sharp objects.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.