New LSiM owners thread!

Options

Comments

• JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited September 2011
    Options
    newsman wrote: »
    Jim, I wasn't questioning what you've heard or your opinion, I was actually commenting on the trend I'm seeing of people preferring 703 over 707. Thanks for your comments, by the way ;)

Honestly, I'm not interested in the bookshelves as my main speakers, so either 707 cut the mustard, or they don't. I will keep my eye on the comments about new LSiM line, and hopefully will have a chance to listen to them again.

I gotcha buddy. I was just throwing out a reminder that no matter the room size, my vote is unchanged :smile:
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • robert0507
    robert0507 Posts: 148
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I have a pair of rti a9 and im thinking about upgrading to the 705 do anyone think that is a bad idea? is it worth it? My room is about 2800 cubic sq feet.
  • JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'd wait til people have actually heard them first
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • Bass_Pedal
    Bass_Pedal Posts: 196
    edited October 2011
    Options
    So I finally received my LSiM 703's in cherry, I had to wait a few weeks as only the ebony finish was available when I ordered them. I had a chance to audition them previously so this was not my first time with them. I've only put a few hours of listening into them so far, but once again I am blown away by the low end, and the high frequency detail. As many have also reported, they are smooth, super smooth. Top end detail without harshness, got to love it! As a long-time user of the Lsi 9 and 15 (unmodded) I can easily say, these are in a different class. Here are a few picks. (I liked the black folder and instruction manual CD.)
    Mains - Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand
    Subs - Rel T5 x 2
    Amplification - Bryston 3b cubed
    Pre Amp - Marantz Sc11-1
    SACD - Marantz Sa11-1
    Stream - Cambridge Audio CXN v2
    Dac - Marantz Dac-1
    TT - Pro-Ject RPM 9.1 w/ Ortofon 2M Black Cartidge
    Phono Stage - Project Tube box DS
  • bslep
    bslep Posts: 24
    edited October 2011
    Options
    My 707's will be here Tuesday. Was really excited about getting them, but a little concerned about the lackluster user reviews. I'm moving from Def Tech ST's so this should be interesting since the same company owns both Def Tech and Polk.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Bslep keep us posted.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Welcome Bslep, and congrats on your purchase.

Please take these reviews with a grain of salt and don't let them influence you before you have heard these speakers with your OWN ears.

Make sure that you have more than enough power to drive these speakers, they usually sound anemic with just receivers powering them, this is what usually makes the biggest impact sound wise.

Give yourself plenty of time to get used to how they sound, and allow for some break in. If they are powered correctly from the get go, and given the time to settle, most people I believe will be very happy with them.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I've had my set of cherry 703s for about a month now. They are fantastic speakers. I'm curious to hear the 705s also. Polk really has a winner with these things.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2011
    Options
    bslep wrote: »
    My 707's will be here Tuesday. Was really excited about getting them, but a little concerned about the lackluster user reviews. I'm moving from Def Tech ST's so this should be interesting since the same company owns both Def Tech and Polk.

The companies have nothing to do with one another, regardless of ownership.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • robert0507
    edited October 2011
    Options

Can I ask where did you order your 707's from?
  • bslep
    edited October 2011
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Welcome Bslep, and congrats on your purchase.

Please take these reviews with a grain of salt and don't let them influence you before you have heard these speakers with your OWN ears.

Make sure that you have more than enough power to drive these speakers, they usually sound anemic with just receivers powering them, this is what usually makes the biggest impact sound wise.

Give yourself plenty of time to get used to how they sound, and allow for some break in. If they are powered correctly from the get go, and given the time to settle, most people I believe will be very happy with them.

Thanks I appreciate your comments. I have a Parasound Halo A21 that will power the 707's.
  • bslep
    edited October 2011
    Options
    robert0507 wrote: »
    Can I ask where did you order your 707's from?

I got them from Safe and Sound. They are a brick and mortar store so you can't order online. You have to call. Ask for Dave. They are an authorized Polk dealer. Google Safe and Sound Polk 707's.
  • bslep
    edited October 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    The companies have nothing to do with one another, regardless of ownership.

Yes I understand that but the woofers in the ST's and 707's sure look similar.:biggrin:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Yes I understand that but the woofers in the ST's and 707's sure look similar.:biggrin:

Other manufacturers use or have used them as well. It's not a revolutionary design from the aesthetics side of it all.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • WastelandWand'r
    WastelandWand'r Posts: 466
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone who has seen and heard these things!!
    I was in Portland, Oregon staggering through a little road race they had and tried my best to find a store in the immediate area to put my eyes and ears on them with no luck.
    In the immediate future (October 25th), I will be in the general vicinity of the Twin Cities. Can someone tell me if there is a dealer that is going to have them so I can experience them?
    I have asked here in Bethel if anyone is going to carry them, but when I mention them I only get blank stares.
    Anyone?
    Nathan
    Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • robert0507
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone who has seen and heard these things!!
    I was in Portland, Oregon staggering through a little road race they had and tried my best to find a store in the immediate area to put my eyes and ears on them with no luck.
    In the immediate future (October 25th), I will be in the general vicinity of the Twin Cities. Can someone tell me if there is a dealer that is going to have them so I can experience them?
    I have asked here in Bethel if anyone is going to carry them, but when I mention them I only get blank stares.
    Anyone?
    Nathan

I totaly dont understand why these speakers are so hard to find. There is not even a good professional review of these speakers.
    Take a look at Goldenear triton two speakers and how they out the gate had press coverage and pro reviews right after that. So why arent the LSIM line getting pushed by polk? Do they know something we dont?
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited October 2011
    Options

Keep us posted. Want to hear your thoughts on the ST's vs 707's. Are these going to be used for HT or music?

Thanks
  • Dawgfish
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I totaly dont understand why these speakers are so hard to find. There is not even a good professional review of these speakers.
    Take a look at Goldenear triton two speakers and how they out the gate had press coverage and pro reviews right after that. So why arent the LSIM line getting pushed by polk? Do they know something we dont?

I think Polk should really be pushing these speakers. The 703s I have are fantastic and yes, I have heard many other high-end speakers out there. The 703s price to performance ratio is way up there. The word needs to get out on these speakers in the rest of the audio world.
  • robert0507
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    I think Polk should really be pushing these speakers. The 703s I have are fantastic and yes, I have heard many other high-end speakers out there. The 703s price to performance ratio is way up there. The word needs to get out on these speakers in the rest of the audio world.

I want to buy a pair of lsim 705's but I cant find any to demo and there has not been one single pro review for me to at least checkout. Have you heard the 707/705 speakers and if do how do they sound? I currently own apair of rti a9 and want to know if the upgrade is worth it
  • JimAckley
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I want to buy a pair of lsim 705's but I cant find any to demo and there has not been one single pro review for me to at least checkout. Have you heard the 707/705 speakers and if do how do they sound? I currently own apair of rti a9 and want to know if the upgrade is worth it

Dig through the "Speakers" section. A few members, myself included, have written reviews for the 707s. The 705s haven't even surfaced, at least to my knowledge. I'm guessing there's good reason for it, but don't feel its necessary to speculate it here.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• Dawgfish
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I haven't heard the 705s or 707s either. I'm definitely interested in the 705s myself. Having owned a set of RTi-12s, I'm guessing that the 705s or 707s would be a big upgrade for music. It's hard to say though without having heard them. Hopefully we'll hear some reviews soon.
  • thesurfer
    thesurfer Posts: 574
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Im sure Stereophile well do a LSIM703 review, keep in mind, When a new line of speakers come out, the reviews for any certain Audio mag, are allready set up by a month or so, at least thats what ive been told,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.
  • WastelandWand'r
    WastelandWand'r Posts: 466
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Just for clarification I just want to see and hear them and am not at all concerned about the whys and what fors with regards about their scarcity.
    At this point I am not all that particular about the model, any would do.
    I have sent an email to CS to see if they can point me in the right direction.
    Again, kudos to those that have laid their eyes and ears on them and provided their thoughts in reviews.
    If any polk member in the Twin Cities area is going to have them and doesn't mind me dropping by let me know. I may smell like deer camp though!
    Nathan
    Home Rig

SDA 2.3TL's front and center
    Polk 1000p Center
    Pioneer Elite SC35 Receiver (Pre/Surround
    Sunfire Cinema Grand 5X200-Back in the mix.
    OPPO BDP-93
    Squeezebox
    Stepped up to name brand Speaker Cables and interconnects!
    Monitor 4, 5, 7, 10's, SDA 1B's, 2B's, 2.3TL's, RTA 15TL's all in storage waiting for me.
    Sales Rating #1!!
  • bslep
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I got the 707's yesterday. I saw them last month at CEDIA and fell in love with them. Solidly built. Beautiful. When i found out the MSRP I couldn't believe that they didn't cost twice as much. I got the Cherry. I got the 706C center channel a couple weeks ago. I have Def Tech Gem XL's for my surrounds but will upgrade to the Polk 702 surrounds after the first of the year. My speakers are completed with a pair of Def Tech Trinity subs. I have a Parasound Halo A21 driving the 707's and a Parasound Halo A51 driving the center and surrounds. The rest of my system includes a PS Audio Power Plant Premier; Integra DHC 80.2 processor and Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD/SACD player. I use Monster M2.2's for my front speakers and the wall outlets are PS Audio Soloists. The amps are connected to a dedicated circuit that has nothing else on it. My point is, I don't think I have any weak links between the current and the speakers as I've read some comments that implied that these speakers need some pretty solid equipment to sound their best.

Having had the Def Tech ST's and Mirage OM5's before that these are the first Mains that I have owned that didn't have a built in powered sub. I hooked them up and started listening to some HD radio for a couple hours. The sound was clean. Very crisp with plenty of bass. I was relieved quite frankly. Not having heard them I surely didn't want to take a step down from the ST's. I hadn't. Far from it. After a couple of hours of HD radio (I was working so I didn't want to be too distracted) I fired up the Sony and started playing some CD's. The sound was full, deep and wide. The highs are smooth. The bass was full but at first a bit boomey. That was fixed once I ran Audyssey in the DHC 80.2. It took the boominess away without sacrificing the rich sound. I thought about how to describe the sound without sounding overly enthusiastic especially since these are new toys and I wanted them to more than anything sound better than what they replaced. The main thing that stands out for me with these speakers is the soundstage. It's wide and deep. The music wraps around you. I have not heard the depth of the soundstage so pronounced. I closed my eyes and listened to the separation of instruments which sounded as if they were isolated in their own designated spots on stage - with lots of space between one from the next. The Sony's rather forward sounding presentation seemed to meet its match as the speakers took the music and seemed to stretch it backwards. A very pleasant match between the SONY and the 707's.

The next thing that really stood out was how well balanced the sound was top to bottom. The highs, mids and low end were perfectly complimenting to each other. The ST's had this as well. Perfect balance. Probably a lot to do with Audyssey. At first I thought that the clarity almost made the 707's sound a bit bright, but the more I listened the more I realized that I simply never heard a speaker - at least in my system - that sounded so clear and detailed. I went through several CD's thoroughly enjoying what I heard. Moving on to movie soundtracks provided as much enjoyment as listening to two channel music. The fronts blend nicely with the surrounds. The front three blend nicely with each other. The soundstage is HUGE.

I can't compare the 707's to any other Polk speakers. However I have owned and heard my share of speakers and Home Theater equipment over the years and I can say without a doubt that they are audiophile quality. I am so glad my leap of faith paid off! The 707's have found a permanent home.

Bob
  • bslep
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Very nice, enjoy!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2011
    Options
    They are beautiful, congrats and enjoy!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Dawgfish
    edited October 2011
    Options
    That is one kick butt HT setup.
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited October 2011
    Options
    great to hear your thoughts on the speakers bslep. In a couple of weeks I'll have the chance to play with some 705s and 703s and am really excited for that :)
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Nice HT. Those 707's are gorgeous.