New LSiM owners thread!

Options

Comments

• robert0507
    robert0507 Posts: 148
    edited September 2011
    Options
    so when will these be on sale on polks website?
  • Bass_Pedal
    Bass_Pedal Posts: 196
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Just got a pair of 703 loaners from a local dealer. Trying them out tonight! Can't wait!!
    Mains - Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand
    Subs - Rel T5 x 2
    Amplification - Bryston 3b cubed
    Pre Amp - Marantz Sc11-1
    SACD - Marantz Sa11-1
    Stream - Cambridge Audio CXN v2
    Dac - Marantz Dac-1
    TT - Pro-Ject RPM 9.1 w/ Ortofon 2M Black Cartidge
    Phono Stage - Project Tube box DS
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Bass_Pedal wrote: »
    Just got a pair of 703 loaners from a local dealer. Trying them out tonight! Can't wait!!

Wow, who keeps whining about Canadians always sucking hind teat when it comes to Polk representation in their country? This seems like right up front treatment to me! :smile:
  • Bass_Pedal
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I was blown away when the dealer told me he could get me a pair to demo. I figured it was not an option up here, not so much.
    Subs - Rel T5 x 2
    Pre Amp - Marantz Sc11-1
    SACD - Marantz Sa11-1
    Dac - Marantz Dac-1
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I was blown away when the dealer told me he could get me a pair to demo. I figured it was not an option up here, not so much.

If they're brand new, don't bother really listening 'til they get about 50 hours on them. That's when they start to come into their own, IMO.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The only thing that keeps me from sending products directly to the Eh's is shipping costs. It's just best to go thru the Canadian Polk Representative or local dealer since that cuts out all the red tape I have to deal with and they're usually very willing to do these things.

You never know unless you ask, so if you guys are feeling left out, you'll have to start complaining, ahem, talking to the right people...as suggested years ago. Good job Bass_Pedal.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    The only thing that keeps me from sending products directly to the Eh's is shipping costs. It's just best to go thru the Canadian Polk Representative or local dealer since that cuts out all the red tape I have to deal with and they're usually very willing to do these things.

You never know unless you ask, so if you guys are feeling left out, you'll have to start complaining, ahem, talking to the right people...as suggested years ago. Good job Bass_Pedal.

If only Walter could browse the forum like you.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Drenis - He has a huge plate of which to handle, pretty much everything Canadian and mine is much smaller in comparison, even if the work is similar. This is one of my main tasks where he has far more important things to address on a daily basis. My real life, non-Polk Audio job often takes up time that I'd like to be here but that's just the way it goes.

I hope your finding that the forum isn't so bad now? :biggrin:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Bass_Pedal
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It was a complete fluke, I sourced out a local dealer to get a pair of db 840's to upgrade the subs on my Lsi15's. I settled on using "Sound Center" in Ajax, Ont. When I was walking out the door I asked the dealer if he sold only car audio products, he told me that he could get anything in the Polk line up, and that he was good friends with a Polk Canada rep. I asked him about the Lsim 703 and I had them in my living room a week later. He also told me I can hang onto them until my speakers arrive, if I order a pair, which I have!:smile:

Also, I don't want to post my opinion of them for a bit as the loaners I received are brand new, I have about 6 hours on them now.
    Subs - Rel T5 x 2
    Pre Amp - Marantz Sc11-1
    SACD - Marantz Sa11-1
    Dac - Marantz Dac-1
  • Bass_Pedal
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Here is a quick shot of one of them set up in my system. Listeing to Pink Floyd Animals on CD at the time...
    Subs - Rel T5 x 2
    Pre Amp - Marantz Sc11-1
    SACD - Marantz Sa11-1
    Dac - Marantz Dac-1
  • sand viper
    sand viper Posts: 16
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I really, really, really hate you. You post a pic like that to tease us but tell us nothing else? :mad: Like what are you running them with? Couldn't you post a tinsey little opinion on them?
    Polk LSi9, Focal Chorus 714V, Marantz PM8004, Marantz SA8004, Oppo BDP-93, Pro-ject Debut III w/ acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Bronze, Nordost Wiring
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Here is a quick shot of one of them set up in my system. Listeing to Pink Floyd Animals on CD at the time...

Where's that drooling smilie when you need it?
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Drenis - He has a huge plate of which to handle, pretty much everything Canadian and mine is much smaller in comparison, even if the work is similar. This is one of my main tasks where he has far more important things to address on a daily basis. My real life, non-Polk Audio job often takes up time that I'd like to be here but that's just the way it goes.

I hope your finding that the forum isn't so bad now? :biggrin:

It's very obvious how busy he has it. It would still be nice to have that privilege.

The forum has been and continues to be fine.
  • dcmartinpc
    dcmartinpc Posts: 844
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I have these here for the Demo I am hosting. Although, I do believe I will be acquiring a pair for myself when all is said and done! Please excuse the mess as I am finally getting a little energy back after my surgery and I missed a few things. I also have a new TV Stand/Equipment Rack coming to fix that whole mess.... yeah....

Don

IMG1038-L.jpg
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The 703s are seriously magical, especially when couple with a sub. I haven't heard the 705s yet, but IMHO, compared to the 707s the 703s are the champion of this line.

Wish I could he listenin to that gear Don. It looks SICK.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited September 2011
    Options
    DC that sub is massive!!!!
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    DC that sub is massive!!!!

Why thank you! Believe it or not, the LSiM 703s hold their own with it and keep up! These speakers are definitely something special . I will be owning a pair once I can save up the cash!

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

• JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Options
    dcmartinpc wrote: »
    Why thank you! Believe it or not, the LSiM 703s hold their own with it and keep up! These speakers are definitely something special . I will be owning a pair once I can save up the cash!

Don

Since I know way too much about the TC gear, I'm not surprised a bit. The 703s comfortably hit 60Hz or maybe a hair deeper, and the 5100 can cleanly play waaaay higher than that. Some people say the same for the 5400 with the VMPs. I heard a 5400 sealed and crossed at 150Hz and tbh it was shockingly good for an 18". It's in it's comfort zone in the lower frequencies though (big surprise, right?). The million-dollar question is why do you have a ceramic instead of a neo?

Edit: I mean ferrite. Oops :smile:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    JimAckley wrote: »
    Since I know way too much about the TC gear, I'm not surprised a bit. The 703s comfortably hit 60Hz or maybe a hair deeper, and the 5100 can cleanly play waaaay higher than that. Some people say the same for the 5400 with the VMPs. I heard a 5400 sealed and crossed at 150Hz and tbh it was shockingly good for an 18". It's in it's comfort zone in the lower frequencies though (big surprise, right?). The million-dollar question is why do you have a ceramic instead of a neo?

Edit: I mean ferrite. Oops :smile:

It is actually a custom driver that was made for Michael Singer. He is pretty well known in car audio competition circles. It is basically the motor from a LMS Ultra 5400 with a 5100 top assembly. From what I know, and what Thilo said, it performs a little better than the Neo version. All I know is that I am happy and I got 2 of those drivers for the price of 1 of the Neo 5100s! They are hard to drive though with With dual 1 ohm Voice Coils!!! A lot like the Pro 5150 that is going to be coming out, but without the neo.

Don

• JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Options
    < green with envy
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• newsman
    newsman Posts: 198
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So far it seems 703 is getting more love than 707? :confused: I had Lsi9 in my room prior to getting LSi15th, and there was no way they were better in my opinion, even when talking bang for a buck.
  • JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The 707s are sweet, but the 703's just had that visceral midbass punch that the 707s didn't, probably because the midbass gets a tiny sealed enclosure in the 707 whereas it gets a hearty ported enclosure in the 703. You can't go wrong with either one, but IMO the 703s+sub is a better deal
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2011
    Options
    The 707's are phenomenal top to bottom, as expected. The 703's will shock you, and leave you talking about them to friends - as we've seen here.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited September 2011
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    The 707's are phenomenal top to bottom, as expected. The 703's will shock you, and leave you talking about them to friends - as we've seen here.

I was not overwhelmed by the '07's. I found them to be rather bland, and extremely sensitve to room accoustics and the gear used to drive them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • newsman
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Well I guess I just have to wait for more feedback or until I hear 707 again in person. I'm a proponent of a full range speaker vs bookshelf/sub - there is just something special about the harmonious sound coming from a well designed floor stander. Typically, speaker manufacturers designs a flagship speaker first or separately, and then trickle down technology to the smaller models. It sounds like Polk might've designed 703 first, and then tried to fit the same speaker arrangement into the mid/high region of the tower speakers.

For now, I'm very happy with my LSi15 arrangement, especially after getting Classe monoblocks - LSi15 bass is not just well integrated, but now exerts a lot of control and energy with music. With movies, it sounds like I now have a sub in the system.

I was just curious about not one poster, but several expressing preference of 703 over 707. I was thinking that maybe it were people with small rooms... It's like if B&W owners would've preferred Nautilus 800 floor standers over 805 bookshelves.
  • JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Read back through the reviews I wrote. I tried the 703s and 707s in my HT bedroom (14x12x8) and my living room (20.5x19.5x12). I didn't mention the living room in my 703 review because hadn't tried them in that room yet at the time of the review. I didnt get them into that room until a week before I had to give them back to Russ, but that being said, I still stand firm on my opinion.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• gdb
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Were the 705s ever made or heard by the public, I haven't seen any mention of them, only 07s & 03s.:confused:
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Funny Boeing never built a 705, but made a 707 and a 703 :smile:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• newsman
    edited September 2011
    Options
    JimAckley wrote: »
    I didnt get them into that room until a week before I had to give them back to Russ, but that being said, I still stand firm on my opinion.
    Jim, I wasn't questioning what you've heard or your opinion, I was actually commenting on the trend I'm seeing of people preferring 703 over 707. Thanks for your comments, by the way ;)

Honestly, I'm not interested in the bookshelves as my main speakers, so either 707 cut the mustard, or they don't. I will keep my eye on the comments about new LSiM line, and hopefully will have a chance to listen to them again.
  • gdb
    edited September 2011
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Funny Boeing never built a 705, but made a 707 and a 703 :smile:

Most of my miles were flown in a 727. :smile: