New LSiM owners thread!

Options
newsman
newsman Posts: 198
edited October 2011 in Speakers
I haven't bought these puppies yet, but my fingers were itching to create a special place for all new LSiM owners :smile: While we wait - here's a glamor shot of LSiM's to tie us over :biggrin:.

lsim_beauty.jpg

Note to webmasters: Can we get some nice hi-rez widescreen wallpapers of LSiM goodness?
Post edited by newsman on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I listened to a pair of lsim703's yesterday at a dealer. They blew me away. I was really suprised by the ovrerall quality of sound, but especially with how low they could dig. Serious bass for a bookshelf. The midrange was more detailed than previous polk speakers, no doubt due to the 3 way design and new sonic engine.

The full Bryston system that they were running on didn't hurt either.:wink::cool:

I want to see the ebony finish in person.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I want to see the ebony finish in person.

It's more of a very dark mahogany.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2011
    Options
    They do look awesome!

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The full Bryston system that they were running on didn't hurt either.:wink::cool:

exactly. These Polks shine with quality electronic's, our demo demanded it, higher end sources, pre and amplifier to get them singing. The present Lsi line benefits from such gear, however, I feel the new Polks demand it.

Polk has always brought good sound to mass market so these speakers are a bit of jump from the last 20 years more a return to a statement speaker, like Matt Polk's SDA signature line.

There is going to be a pair in the Rabbit Hole. As I am partial to floorstanders that is what I will most likely use....although the bookshelf is very intriguing. Bookies can suprise and I certainly have not ruled them out.

RT1
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I must own a pair for a while. They are dead sexy, someone around here has to get them in.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I am so seriously going to get two of these!..@Mantis..yep they are Sexy looking...like one of them Top Super Models..Matthew Polk has put out some of the best speakers in the Audio World..and have too say these are the best looking set i have seem in a long time without having too pay 6K for.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I wonder how many sales we're going to find in the FM here when those puppies are finally released, I suspect there will be many people trying to fund a purchase of whatever model tickles their fancy.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Talked to Polk Direct today. If you are in the market for the LSiM 703 in the dark finish the current forecasted availability is mid October.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Save me a spot here. I will be joining at some point. :cool:
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I wonder how many sales we're going to find in the FM here when those puppies are finally released, I suspect there will be many people trying to fund a purchase of whatever model tickles their fancy.

And I will be lurking & waiting to pounce on the old LSi's at a deep discount :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'd have to keep the grilles in place......those ovals remind me of the rear deck in a 1970s automobile !:biggrin: Sure wish I'd gotten to CAS this year to hear them bad boys!:frown:
  • newsman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    gdb wrote: »
    I'd have to keep the grilles in place......those ovals remind me of the rear deck in a 1970s automobile !:biggrin: Sure wish I'd gotten to CAS this year to hear them bad boys!:frown:
    One thing I'm not crazy about cosmetically on the new line, is the huge rubber surround around midrange and tweeter sections. Doesn't look very impressive in person. Polk should've really either go with their tried and true poly-glass bezels like on old RTi line or metal inserts in place. But in their literature they say that rubber bezel helps with sound dispersion or something like that, so what do I know.
    Wish Polk stayed with blue color of the drivers. Polk nailed it with the look of RTi drivers in my opinion, to a lesser degree with LSi's... :wink:

rti38.jpgpiano-gloss.jpg
    vs
    lsim703.jpg
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2011
    Options
    newsman wrote: »
    ... Polk nailed it with the look of RTi drivers in my opinion, to a lesser degree with LSi's... :wink:

That's funny you say that, as I have always thought that the bezel and blue drivers of the rti line looked cheesy.:rolleyes:

They never bothered me, though, because I always keep the grills on:wink:

Drivers and bezels aside, the cabinets of the new line are light years ahead of the older models, both functionally and aesthetically.:smile:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • newsman
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Drivers and bezels aside, the cabinets of the new line is light years ahead of the older models, both functionally and aesthetically.:smile:
    agreed.
  • fyrn
    fyrn Posts: 146
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Now if they only made several finishes
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited August 2011
    Options
    They do, your choice of two.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2011
    Options
    exactly. These Polks shine with quality electronic's, our demo demanded it, higher end sources, pre and amplifier to get them singing. The present Lsi line benefits from such gear, however, I feel the new Polks demand it.

Polk has always brought good sound to mass market so these speakers are a bit of jump from the last 20 years more a return to a statement speaker, like Matt Polk's SDA signature line.

There is going to be a pair in the Rabbit Hole. As I am partial to floorstanders that is what I will most likely use....although the bookshelf is very intriguing. Bookies can suprise and I certainly have not ruled them out.

RT1

I'd suggest the bookends with a really nice pair of stands Ted. You already have a rock solid pair of floorstanders, and a sonic reference setup, time to have a rock solid pair of bookies. Seriously try and find an old pair of Usher Audio(RWS-729) stands, the ones with multiple panels for the frame. It's one of the best stands I've owned since 2003 and wish I had kept them. They're VERY well made, visually impressive, dead resonant and probably $400 on the used market...IF you can find them. They don't sell often and the new version(RWS-708) isn't as good but I have a pair of them as well.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jkg123
    jkg123 Posts: 114
    edited August 2011
    Options
    These look amazing.
  • jkg123
    jkg123 Posts: 114
    edited August 2011
    Options
    What even more amazing is that they are not even hooked up with speaker wire in the picture...gotta keep it clean right?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2011
    Options
    jkg123 wrote: »
    What even more amazing is that they are not even hooked up with speaker wire in the picture...gotta keep it clean right?

LOL. It's a new feature....you simply imagine how awesome they sound.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited August 2011
    Options
    would my 5802 drive them ok? i would love to own a set later on....
    mole'
  • dcmartinpc
    dcmartinpc Posts: 844
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I would think the 5802 would be fine. I am running a set of the 703s right now keeping them warm for the demo in a couple weeks, and they seem fairly easy to drive actually. I do not know on the 705 or 707, but I would imagine they would be no harder to drive than the 15 or 25 are.

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9
  • punk-roc
    punk-roc Posts: 1,150
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm also not sure about that coffee table either.. maybe I'm not hip enough to appreciate the flattened treadmill styling?

=)
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod
  • thesurfer
    thesurfer Posts: 574
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It says there compatible with 8 ohms, The Lsi, line needed 4-6 ohms, So shouldnt need top end gear to drive them, Though im sure it wouldnt hurt,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    edited September 2011
    Options
    When will they be available for purchase on the Polk website?
  • dcmartinpc
    dcmartinpc Posts: 844
    edited September 2011
    Options
    From what I have heard, the LSiM series DEMANDS high end gear... Not so much from the "difficult to drive" aspect, but from the "they are so freaking revealing" aspect :eek: Seriously, if you have a weakness in your system, I think these things will find it! It is a large part of the reason I am sending off my GFP-750 preamp to be upgraded today!

Does that make sense?

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9
  • falconcry72
    edited September 2011
    Options
    thesurfer wrote: »
    It says there compatible with 8 ohms, The Lsi, line needed 4-6 ohms, So shouldnt need top end gear to drive them, Though im sure it wouldnt hurt,

You don't "need" top end gear to drive any speaker. Also, gear is not determined to be top end or not by the load it can drive, ie. there are a lot of crappy amplifiers out there that are capable of driving low ohm loads, and, likewise, there are great amplifiers that can't drive low ohm, low sensitivity loads.

A general rule of thumb is that every link in your rig should be of commensurate quality, otherwise you'll not be getting the best out of whatever the strongest link is. So with that in mind, the new LsiM's do demand high quality electronics, just like any other high quality speaker does.

Will they produce sound if ran by a cheapo receiver? Yes, of course, but you won't be hearing what they're capable of and what you payed for.

• niente
    niente Posts: 68
    edited September 2011
    Options
    And I will be lurking & waiting to pounce on the old LSi's at a deep discount :smile:

DITTO :biggrin:!!!!!:rolleyes::cool:
    Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver
    Parasound 5250
    LSI 15's
    LSI C
    LSI FX's
    PSW1000 Sub
    OPPO 93
    Sony CDP-C315 CD
    Monster AC line cond
    Audioquest, Blue Jeans & Monster wires/connects
    40" Sony Bravia XBR6
  • thesurfer
    thesurfer Posts: 574
    edited September 2011
    Options
    You don't "need" top end gear to drive any speaker. Also, gear is not determined to be top end or not by the load it can drive, ie. there are a lot of crappy amplifiers out there that are capable of driving low ohm loads, and, likewise, there are great amplifiers that can't drive low ohm, low sensitivity loads.

A general rule of thumb is that every link in your rig should be of commensurate quality, otherwise you'll not be getting the best out of whatever the strongest link is. So with that in mind, the new LsiM's do demand high quality electronics, just like any other high quality speaker does.

Will they produce sound if ran by a cheapo receiver? Yes, of course, but you won't be hearing what they're capable of and what you payed for.
    AS i said,, Im sure it wouldnt hurt,, useing high end gear that is,, I have a nice older HK, but i sure wouldnt use it to drive the 4 ohm LSi25,s as there would, no dought be some damage,, as opposed to a speaker rated at 8 ohms, that was my point,
    Not an Audiophile, just a dude who loves music, and decent gear to hear it with.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited September 2011
    Options
    newsman wrote: »
    One thing I'm not crazy about cosmetically on the new line, is the huge rubber surround around midrange and tweeter sections. Doesn't look very impressive in person. Polk should've really either go with their tried and true poly-glass bezels like on old RTi line or metal inserts in place. But in their literature they say that rubber bezel helps with sound dispersion or something like that, so what do I know.
    Wish Polk stayed with blue color of the drivers. Polk nailed it with the look of RTi drivers in my opinion, to a lesser degree with LSi's... :wink:

I assumed the material on the baffle around the "engine" was used to minimize diffraction. A shinier/harder surface would amplify it, muddying the sound. Again, just an assumption on my part.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco