Seattle area Meet?

Options

Comments

• kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The Inaugural Seattle GTG was a great time. First thanks go out to Jake for setting up the venue.
    It was fun to get to hear a bunch of gear at the same time.

Cables really do make a difference....it was the rallying cry...LOL

I loved finally getting to hear some SDA was great. Jeff's DAC and transport are just plain beautiful ...AND sound amazing. Jake's integrated amp was a beast...and Cameron's 5b were great sounding. It was great being able to hear a whole bunch of gear in one place.....

The kicker was the raffles...but I am not going to 'pop the balloon' until the winner announced it...but all I'll say is Polk is a very generous bunch of people....

And, Yes Russ kept his pants on the whole time...

When's the next one???

BTW.....Check those binding posts...hehe
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited February 2010
    Options
    geoff727 wrote: »
    Thanks, Kelvin. I was wishing you could have come. The -1C's are still plugging away, I take it?

They are highly treasured bringers of much pleasure and are practically shrined. After reading about and seeing pictures of many different SDA-1C's and the various mods, I'm fully convinced the ones you built are the absolute best example of this particular model on the planet. No other pair that I've heard of has undergone the total transformation with such meticulous attention to detail in every aspect. I think Sal has a pair of SDA'a that may have been as lovingly restored but they aren't 1C's. I feel privledged to give them a home and can't imagine ever selling them.

It would have been really nice to be there especially when it was so close. I am going to initiate the obtaining of a passport as soon as my tax refund comes and I have enough money to pay for the various police checks pardons and passport documents. I haven't been in any trouble in over 20 years so it shouldn't be difficult. Perhaps the next meet. I could bring the 1C's and show people the fine work you've done. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Just out of curiosity Geoff, what are you running now? Still have the Maggies?

Kelvin
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • geoff727
    geoff727 Posts: 546
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Fongolio wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity Geoff, what are you running now? Still have the Maggies?

Kelvin

I do. Here they are, in this thread at audiokarma. Post number 41.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=275614&highlight=pictures+magnepans&page=3

They have several upgrades planned right now. And I have a couple of amplifiers on the way to do a vertical bi-amp setup, all actively crossed with Bryston crossovers. That will give 6 total channels of amplification (High panel, low panel, and sub plate amp on each side). The rack is going to get some work, and hopefully in 6 or 8 months I will have it all together after 3 years of saving, buying, and tweaking. Then I can rest for, oh, maybe a day, before starting on something else.

And now I'm thinking about what I can do for the next meet. I have a pair of Monitor 5's that i'm doing for a friend that I should have some pictures of in 3 or 4 weeks. But for the next meet, I'd like to either have another pair of Polk's (hopefully with some radical TLC, just for fun), or one of my pair's of Infinity's (which I really need to get working on). Maybe the (heavily modded) RS-IIIa's. I felt bad not bringing anything this time.

I'm glad you like the -1C's still. With the new mid-bass drivers, tweeters, and capacitors, they should be healthy for a long long time. Those were the first speakers I ever worked on, and it's just been an avalanche of reading, learning, experimenting, and working and since then. Kind of like drinking water from a firehose. The most enjoyable hobby I've ever gotten involved in, I think. And am meeting a lot of neat people along the way....

If you're interested, I'll send you some of the plans I have for future DIY speaker systems (some modifications and some from the ground up). You know, just in case you want to upgrade from the -1C's. :p

Take care,
    Geoff

P.S. And come next time!!
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2010
    Options
    WOW not only is Russ dressed, but is dressed nicely.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Seattle sucks....
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited February 2010
    Options
    If you're interested, I'll send you some of the plans I have for future DIY speaker systems (some modifications and some from the ground up). You know, just in case you want to upgrade from the -1C's. :p

Take care,
    Geoff

P.S. And come next time!!

Absolutely on all accounts. Thanks Geoff.

Kelvin
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Seattle sucks....

Bite me and I enjoyed the beers...
  • kcoc321
    edited February 2010
    Options
    If you're interested, I'll send you some of the plans I have for future DIY speaker systems (some modifications and some from the ground up).

That would be kewl to see..Post them up or email me too :D
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2010
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Seattle sucks....

Lucky you waited til you left town to say that...

Hey, did you end up going back at 11:00pm? :cool:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2010
    Options
    just wanted to apologize to anyone who went to the Ale house in Bothell to join us for dinner after the get together.. but when we arrived, we found the place closed. Running short on time and not having phone numbers for some of the people who thought they might go there.. we had to make a quick decision and find another place for dinner.

so sorry if you drove all that way and didn't find us there.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • kcoc321
    edited February 2010
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    just wanted to apologize to anyone who went to the Ale house in Bothell to join us for dinner after the get together.. but when we arrived, we found the place closed. Running short on time and not having phone numbers for some of the people who thought they might go there.. we had to make a quick decision and find another place for dinner.

Yeah that part sucked.. :( WTF a restraunt closed on a Sunday
  • cambir
    edited February 2010
    Options

Are you kidding me? The Ale House was closed? Had no idea that was even possible. Where did you all end up?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Bite me and I enjoyed the beers...
    Back atcha buddy:D
    cambir wrote: »
    Lucky you waited til you left town to say that...

Hey, did you end up going back at 11:00pm? :cool:
    Nope, left out Monday morning with a hang over. Thanks Al!!

I still love you anyways!:rolleyes:
    Good times were had and new friends made. Thanks fer putting up with me ya hacks!
    Zingo rocks!
  • danger boy
    edited February 2010
    Options
    cambir wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? The Ale House was closed? Had no idea that was even possible. Where did you all end up?

we ended up at a Mexican restaurant I think it was called Mazatlan. very good food and strong drinks and good Negra Modelo beer ;)

here is the proof :p
  • cambir
    edited February 2010
    Options
    we ended up at a Mexican restaurant I think it was called Mazatlan. very good food and strong drinks and good Negra Modelo beer ;)

here is the proof :p

I think I know the place. Glad you found something else close.
  • danger boy
    edited February 2010
    Options
    a few more pics from the Seattle 2010-GTG

this is Kcoc321, Bikerboy and Geoff27

KC kept saying something about no pictures... I think he's undercover in this pic.. maybe witness protection???? ;)
  • danger boy
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Bikerboy (Jeff) and Zingo (Jake) talking about a class T amp. I don't think we ever got around to hearing it.... maybe next time. :)
  • danger boy
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The "Beast"

a stunning looking and sounding Jungson JA-88 80wpc class A brute of an integrated amp. with the coolest blue light that doubles as a lighthouse to signal ships in Puget Sound during the those nights when the fog is to thick :p

seriously, this thing would be more than welcome in my house any time. love the analog VU meters. :D

You should have seen the look of disgust on Jake's face when he caught me rubbing my naughty bits on his amp :eek: :p
  • danger boy
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Here is Rosie and Jeff (wutadumsn23) very cool people. Glad to meet you guys :)
  • kcoc321
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Here is Rosie and Jeff (wutadumsn23) very cool people. Glad to meet you guys :)

Al, Are you gunna say why they look so happy?
  • kcoc321
    edited February 2010
    Options
    a few more pics from the Seattle 2010-GTG

this is Kcoc321, Bikerboy and Geoff27

KC kept saying something about no pictures... I think he's undercover in this pic.. maybe witness protection???? ;)

What? No I didn't...lol I was just wavin "Hi"
  • kcoc321
    edited February 2010
    Options
    The "Beast"

a stunning looking and sounding Jungson JA-88 80wpc class A brute of an integrated amp. with the coolest blue light that doubles as a lighthouse to signal ships in Puget Sound during the those nights when the fog is to thick :p

seriously, this thing would be more than welcome in my house any time. love the analog VU meters. :D

You should have seen the look of disgust on Jake's face when he caught me rubbing my naughty bits on his amp :eek: :p

It definately is a Beast...but mostly in a good way...
    But the part about you rubbin on it...that's WAY too much information...
    Glad I missed that part..hehe
  • danger boy
    edited February 2010
    Options
    kcoc321 wrote: »
    Al, Are you gunna say why they look so happy?

Oops my bad.

Jeff took home this fine pair of TSi500 speakers in a drawing. His name was picked out of a old mayo jar from PolkFest 2008 :eek:

Thanks to the fine folks at Polk Audio for the generous gift.

Here is Rosie hugging them... she couldn't wait to get them home.. ;)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It took about 5 pics of Russ for me to realize which one was Russ...

Haha - too funny
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Wow, where to start. What a great time this was, best 850 miles I have put on my truck since I bought it (roundtrip of course, lol) I was a bit timid going into this because I have very little experience here and in the audio world in general. Had never heard a set of SDA's and wow, I wish I hadn't, lol. As stated in a previous post the Monitor 5's stole the show. Even my wife said "that's just those little speakers playing?" they were amazing. The 10's were great as well, as were the LS50's. All I brought was my Monitor 70's and the now MINE TSi 500's, but we'll get to that later, lol. I had never done any "serious" 2 chan listening with my 70's and I must say after hooking them up to that amp, and a buffer they sounded very good, IMHO. The TSi's also impressed in this area as well. My PSW125 was used as "oompf" when needed and did a pretty good job, eventhough it is more of a HT sub IMHO. That amp that we used was a BEAST, wow I had some ideas for my naughty bits as well, lol. I am still in shock that I walked away with a $700 pair of TSi 500's, I don't even have words to express my gratitude to Al, Mark and Polk Audio. I just happened to bring them with me because I was demoing them and knew that some of the guys hadn't heard some of Polks newer speakers, then to walk away with them, unbelievable. My wife was out in the hallway at the time and she was like wtf is going on in there, strippers? LOL. I learned a lot and met some really cool guys there. Thanks to Jake for putting it together and all the guys for treating me and my wife like one of the crew, she was very impressed with you guys and can't wait to have a little get together of our own soon before moving to Germany. Dinner with Al and Russ and (sorry Al, forgot your friends name) was a blast and let me tell you Al and Russ are some stand up guys (just don't tell Russ I said so, or he will kill me, lol) Thought I had blown a tweeter there on my 70's but as the joke earlier had stated, I just had some loose nuts, lol. Thanks again for the awesome time and taking in this newbie and treating me and my wife like you guys did. Glad you all arrived home safe and sound (esp Russ) how did your 11 O'clock plans work out? LOL Thanks again to Al, Mark and Polk Audio for the extremely generous gift of the TSi 500's, after that event I realized how much I am missing being a strictly HT guy, and plan on starting up a 2 ch rig with the 500's. Hopefully do this again soon, if I don't make it to Germany.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • kcoc321
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Hey Jeff, Now you have to change your signiture :D
    Congrats Again...

Al,
    Here is a link to the buffer I had, that you were asking about.
    Like I said, it is the Grant Fidelity B-283, and also the new one that GF just introduced, the B-283 MKII. To be honest, if I had the extra $65 I would probably would go for the B-283 MKII. It uses the 6SN7 tube, which I have been told is better, and has many more options available. (H9 mentioned it) They had not yet released it when I got mine.
    FYI: If you do the VIP membership, $2.99, first, you then get lower price (green prices)

The GF B-283
    http://grantfidelity.com/site/B-283+Tube+Processor+Buffer

The GF B-283 MKII

http://grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_B283_MKII_tube_processor_buffer

Here is a snip of comparison from GF webpage: (comparing the two)
    Compared to the 6J1 version, it offers you more refined sound and works better with mid or high price range solid state system, plus you have endless list of 6SN7 current production and NOS tubes to roll for different sound. If you have a budget sub $1000 system, the original B283 would be sufficient. If you would like to explore more about tube hi-fi and tube rolling, the B283 MKII is a perfect small investment for you to venture into tube audio and learn all about tube rolling.
  • wutadumsn23
    edited February 2010
    Options
    deleted
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• wutadumsn23
    edited February 2010
    Options
    kcoc321 wrote: »
    Hey Jeff, Now you have to change your signiture :D
    Congrats Again...

Al,
    Here is a link to the buffer I had, that you were asking about.

LOL, already changed it, trying to put together a 2 ch rig with them.

That buffer was awesome, it really made my 70's shine when we had em up in 2 ch mode, that will be on my list for my 2 ch rig in progress.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Looks like you guys had a great time. And no pictures of Russ sleeping in the kitchen/bathroom/closet/laundry room? Wow, I'm impressed. And he does look sharp....I wonder what changed him ;)

Congrats on the speaks Jeff!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • wutadumsn23
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thanks Ricardo, I'm still in shock, lol. It was a great time, my wife even enjoyed herself, lol. Russ was on his best behavior and was a really cool guy. As were the rest of the guys and I plan on having Al over to the house soon, I should have my new 65" Panny plasma by then!!

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)