The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.1

Options

Comments

• inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited January 2012
    Options
    To be clear, it is the WIDE blade on SDA-2B blade/blade models (and of course wide is the only blade on pin/blade models) that is the ground leg.

SDA-2B serial numbers BELOW 14115 for the LEFT channel, and BELOW 14124 for the RIGHT channel shipped from the factory with the blade NOT CONNECTED to ground.

You need to manually connect the wide blade to ground for the SDA drivers to be energized with an AI-1 in place in those lower serial number cabinets.

Also noteworthy is that factory polyswitches in the lower serial numbers were RDE050A .5 ohm, and then Polk switched to RDE090A .22 ohm polyswitches in the models where the blade was grounded. Coincidence or important? I don't know, but my belief is the ground leg of the interconnect was being accounted for.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    edited January 2012
    Options
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Nice! Thanks.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Ok, serial numbers verified on the 1C's and CRS+'s, I'm all set. Thanks for posting that.

FYI, note of interest - When I get around to putting this together, I'm actually going to be using this with my Krell, which is a common ground amp. DK and I messaged about this quite a while back, and he seemed to thing that using the AI-1 could be beneficial even with a common ground amp. We'll see...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • RickTfromAZ
    RickTfromAZ Posts: 122
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I ordered my enclosure from par-metal on 12/21. It was just shipped out yesterday. Two weeks exactly.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited January 2012
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    Ok, serial numbers verified on the 1C's and CRS+'s, I'm all set. Thanks for posting that.

FYI, note of interest - When I get around to putting this together, I'm actually going to be using this with my Krell, which is a common ground amp. DK and I messaged about this quite a while back, and he seemed to thing that using the AI-1 could be beneficial even with a common ground amp. We'll see...

I've thought about doing this too w/ my common ground amp. Interested in your observations when you get it finished and installed.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Building your own AI-1 makes a world of difference in sonic sound IMO, let alone it's a fun and easy project to build. I also believe building your own SDA cable with quality wire is the only way to go as well..
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2012
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    I've thought about doing this too w/ my common ground amp. Interested in your observations when you get it finished and installed.

Technically my Aragon 8008bb is common ground, but the impedence is about 20.5 ohms and is so high on the binding posts that it required me to use an AI-1. Otherwise I get the Aragon goes in and out of protection mode. Not exactly the same as using it with a common ground amp that does not have this problem, but I can say the AI-1 sounded infinitely better than strapping the negative binding posts. The soundstage, tone and even (by ear) dB level increased by using the AI-1 rather than strapping the amp.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2012
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    Technically my Aragon 8008bb is common ground, but the impedence is about 20.5 ohms and is so high on the binding posts that it required me to use an AI-1. Otherwise I get the Aragon goes in and out of protection mode. Not exactly the same as using it with a common ground amp that does not have this problem, but I can say the AI-1 sounded infinitely better than strapping the negative binding posts. The soundstage, tone and even (by ear) dB level increased by using the AI-1 rather than strapping the amp.

Greg
    I'm jealous. I can't use the AI-1 with my 1Bs, so I've jumpered my 8008BB...but then I never had it go into protection mode without the jumper, either. Just sounded terrible (distorted in the midrange) at any volume level--but no popping, shut-down, stray hums, etc.

If it sounds better with the AI-1 rather than a jumper wire...I don't understand why. I'm very curious.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2012
    Options
    If you are going to orient the case resting on its bottom, the retaining bolt, top plate and rubber pads are adequate. If you are going to orient the case resting on its side, then a center piece or some external brace similar to what is shown in post #33 of this thread would be a good idea.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I bought a used AI-1 someone had built here at CP a couple of years ago. At the time, I thought about buying a used Aragon 8008BB amp because I had heard a lot of good things about them. Doing more research on the amp,I contacted Rick Santiago over at Indy Audio Labs to find out if theAragon amp was common ground and could be used with my Polk SDA/SRS 2's.Got the same info headrott mentioned above so I decided not to buy an Aragon. Went with a Parasound 1200 mkII ,which is definitely a common ground amp:) Now I'm curious about trying the used AI-1 with the Parasound to see if it sounds any better than the stock interconnect.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited January 2012
    Options
    This is a solution to house the Avel transformer I came up with in mid 2008 to match my SDA2BTL's. I painted my 2B's end caps black so I made this black oak box to house the transformer. In early 2009 I cut some scrap 20 oz roofing copper to shield the transformer after the potato thread of the time. Since then it has basically been out of site out of mind for me.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Replacing the stock interconnect with binding posts and a heavy guage speakerwire (say 12 guage or higher) with spades will expand the soundstage over and beyond the stock interconnect. I hope to receive my AI case soon to start building the dreadnought and take the soundstage even further.

Make sure to use quality speakerwire to get the best results.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    MLS - very nice work indeed!!! I hope you are enjoying the results!!!

• drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    This is a solution to house the Avel transformer I came up with in mid 2008 to match my SDA2BTL's. I painted my 2B's end caps black so I made this black oak box to house the transformer. In early 2009 I cut some scrap 20 oz roofing copper to shield the transformer after the potato thread of the time. Since then it has basically been out of site out of mind for me.

Very nice! I thought about making my own box as well. Where did you get the copper roofing material from?
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I'l be using MIT Shotgun S1 Bi wired speaker cables with my 1.2tl's

Nice cables. I am not certian yet whether to use my own custom cables or use something less expensive - like MIT Shotgun Cables. :cheesygrin:

• PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    Very nice! I thought about making my own box as well. Where did you get the copper roofing material from?

I too would be interested in the copper roofing material. Could aluminum be used as a cheaper substitute, or are the properties of aluminum covering inhibit the effectiveness of shielding compared to copper material?

• PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Sal -

Very nice work!!! I placed the order for my enclosure over the weekend and hope to have it as quickly as you did. My transformer arrived 14 months ago. I was entangled in a "small delay" on purchasing the enclosure at that time. :cheesygrin: I hope my enclosure project comes as close as yours in the results department.

Will you be using any feet on the enclosure? If so, where are you getting the feet from?

• PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I want to use spikes and I think I'm going to use 3 in a triangular pattern. two in the front and one in the back.

Where do you plan to get the spikes from? And what binding posts do you plan to use?

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited January 2012
    Options
    two in the front and one in the back.

It's just too hard to pass up........

That's what she said :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hey Lasareath,

What power amps will you be using with your new Dreadnought? Common ground or not?

Nice work BTW.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I too would be interested in the copper roofing material. Could aluminum be used as a cheaper substitute, or are the properties of aluminum covering inhibit the effectiveness of shielding compared to copper material?
    I think I want to use copper a well. Where can I find it?

Aluminum is 40% less conductive than copper and is 9% less conductive than gold. Aluminum has the advantage that its conductivity to weight ratio (specific conductivity) is twice that of copper.

An aluminum wire with the same conductivity, or current capacity, as a copper wire will be 40% larger, but will have half the weight and lower cost. Aluminum typically costs 7% to 100% less than copper depending on market conditions and the application requirements. That is why aluminum is widely used for electric transmission lines, transformers and electronic gear cases that must have shielding properties.
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Thanks.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300. It's a dual mono design on one chassis.

Would I be correct in assuming it's common ground?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's a dual mono design on one chassis.

It's two.
    Would I be correct in assuming it's common ground?

It is not common ground.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Sal -

I am thinking of using handles for my Dreadnought. Assuming you got the handles from Par-Metal, what is the part number?

Thanks.

• PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread, but -

Recently I replaced the stock interconnect cable with binding posts and a custom made speaker cable. All I can say is WOW!!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I notice a HUGE improvement in the SDA effect over the stock cable. I would go as far as to say that the SDA 3D effect is on steroids!!! Its really like being there - the SDA effect feels like a full 360 degrees.

I do admit that the sample set is small at the moment as I am using Blu-Ray movies as the source of playback. But damn it is good!!!

I am going through with the dreadnought project though, so this question is for Darque Knight as well as others who may have went down this path. What improvement should I expect going from the custom binding post-custom cable solution to the dreadnought?

Thanks all.

PM1

• DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Something like this would work well:

Thermally Conductive Epoxy Potting Compound

It is available from Mouser:

MG Chemicals 832TC-450ML
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I built 6 chassis's this last week, I am keeping 2 of them, they are built out of aluminum with all mounting holes for the binding post's, feet or spikes as well as the hole to mount the transformer, they are powder coated black and the face plates are at the plater for black anodize.

The one I built about a year ago was built out of steel and has worked just fine but I will be interested to see if the aluminum will make a difference. Pics to come later today.:smile:
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2012
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2012
    Options