The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.1

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    edited December 2010
    Just ordered my Transformer from AVEL, My Binding Post's from Sonicraft.
    and I'm working on my Aluminum Case now!!!!

Should be a pretty simple project but fun...
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    edited December 2010
    Hey Tool -

Let me know how it turns out. This is one of those projects that I wanted to do earlier in the year, but kept putting it off. Now it looks like it will be a next year project.

Thanks to DK with the parts list he posted, I hope to get this project done next year, or to at least order the parts to have it available. The only parts I purchased so far is the binding posts. I purchased it when I purchased the Blackhole 5.

What binding posts are you using for this project?

MJ
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • PolkMaster1
    edited December 2010
    It seems that I am following in Larrys and DKs footsteps. I just ordered the transformer, it should arrive by Thursday. I need to call Par-Metal for the enclosure. Gotta think about the dimensions and finish of this enclosure. I am leaning twords an alodine finish.

• emotiva!
    emotiva! Posts: 43
    edited November 2011
    Hey DarqueKnight, can you guide me to the manufacturer of the box? I cant seem to find one online similar and now that i have the avil transformer I need an aluminum box to place it in! Thanks in advance
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited November 2011
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2011
    Yes, if you are using the same size transformer that I used. My case is 4" x 12" x 12".
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2011
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Oh ok. From the pictures it looks bigger. Then I'll use the 4" as well.

Does the transformer come with the bolt and washer or I have to buy those separately ?

And how did you attach the bolt? Is it just drilled through the bottom of the enclosurer?

Thanks again,

Sal

I can answer that, yes it comes with the washer, nut and bolt, just drill a hole and bolt it down. Sal I also cut a piece of rubber/ gasket material to mount the transformer on.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. Did you use the same case as well?

No I built my own at the shop..
  • PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    I am still waiting for Larry to build me a case. :cheesygrin: I guess this means I did not make the 2011 deadline on making the dreadnaught case. This could make a 2012 New Years resolution.

My other new years resolutions are to complete a never-ending speaker project and amp project so that I will not have to go into them in 2013.

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2012
    Get in line dude. Before he's making you a dreadnaught case he's making me a pair of CRS+ stands!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    Just to clarify - Larry is not making cases as far as I know. I was joking. If he were making cases, I would not hesitate to have purchased them from him. I have purchased his rings and brackets for my 1.2TL with complete satisfaction. All that remains is to install the brackets into the other 1.2TL. This will be done in 2012.

• PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    I had no idea that Larry was making Dreadnaught cases. The place where Raife got his is in NJ and they offer bulk discounts. Maybe we should order 100?

Maybe Avel Linberg would give us discounts if we order 100 transformers.

I plan to purchase the case from Par-Metal. If others are interested, I would be interested in purchasing a case using a bulk discount.

Too bad I already purchased the transformer in 2010. Too many projects. Too little time. I still have an A/D converter to place in a case.

• nspindel
    edited January 2012
    I'd be in for one.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited January 2012
    Sorry should have been more clear. I already have the transformer. I'd be in for a case.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2012
    I'd guess that we would not make 100 cases for 100 AI-1's, but maybe people will use the case for other things as well. I'd be in for one case. My custom made case works OK, but I'd like one a little more sturdy. Don't need a transformer though, I have one.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012
    Hopefully tomorrow these people get back to me and I'll find out if there is any discount if we buy 10 units. If so I'll make a new thread and see if anybody wants to pitch in.

There is a link on their website to their current price list which lists the prices for volume orders for each case.
  • PolkMaster1
    edited January 2012
    I would be in for a case. I will be using Vampire or Cardas CCGR Binding Posts, so I would need cutouts on the case to accomidate for it. DarqueKnight - good point on the shipping. Sal - if you worked out the cost on what it would be for the case + shipping - assuming you were to receive the bulk order, what would you estimate the total cost would be?

Now, if Larry had some time, I am sure there would be enough interest in this forum for us to buy cases from him. I have no reservations on spending my money on his work!!!

PM1

• DarqueKnight
    edited January 2012

20-12124A (1) $57.00 each (6 to 19) $51.00 each (20 to 49) $45.90 each (50 and up) $41.30 each 12W x 12D x 4H

Now I need bulk prices from Avel Linberg
    I'm a little confused.

I want a case that is all black but on their website they state that:

"Painted whole case include inside (no EMI shield)"

And

"Gold/Clear alodine finish for EMI shield"

Does this mean that only the Gold or Clear alodine finish offer EMI shielding?

Can somebody please explain this?

The prices and description you listed above are for the 20-12124A (A is for alodine).

If you review our PM conversation, you will see that I mentioned that the case I used was the 20-12124B (B is for black). Note that the 20-12124B costs substantially more than the 20-12124A.

MODEL 20-12124B: 82.00 (1 to 5), 73.70 (6 to 19), 66.30 (20 to 49), 59.70 (50 up)

EMI/RFI shielding is not listed as a feature of the 20-12124B. I can't imagine that they would not add this feature for you as an extra cost option, since they do completely custom cases.
  • nspindel
    edited January 2012
    Ok, I am a bit confused by the AI-1. A pin-blade SDA interface is only one conductor, it's only the pin that is live. When I modded my SDA's, I used a single Cardas binding post for the SDA connection, and use a custom cable that just connects the single binding post on the left and right speaker. But the AI-1 looks like it needs two connections on each speaker. Where does the second connection attach to?
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2012
    It just goes to the negitive binding post. I just use a spade as my speaker cables have bananas..
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2012
    I will try and post a pic tonight as I modded mine with a binding post as well.
  • nspindel
    edited January 2012
    But the stock AI-1 from Polk is a pin-blade connection. So how did that work? I'm trying to remember the pin-blade connection before I modded my speakers. Was the blade shorted to the negative binding post?
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2012
    nspindel wrote: »
    But the stock AI-1 from Polk is a pin-blade connection. So how did that work? I'm trying to remember the pin-blade connection before I modded my speakers. Was the blade shorted to the negative binding post?
    When the plain cable is used, only one conductor is needed. Current and voltage transfer DIRECTLY from speaker to speaker.

When the AI-1 is used, current and voltage transfer through the transformer; the windings of the transformer each need a path to ground--which is the - binding post. So the AI-1 uses BOTH pin and blade while the plain cable doesn't.
  • nspindel
    edited January 2012
    Right, but in that case for the original Polk AI-1 to have worked, without connecting a conductor directly to the negative binding post, then internally the blade must have been shorted to the negative inside the cabinet I'm assuming?
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited January 2012
    You need to check the serial numbers of your speakers (SDA 2B's) or look inside to know it the blade is attached to the tweeter negative so the AI-1 works.

1987 Blade/Blade 2B's and 1987/1988 Pin/Blade 2B's can easily be grounded so the AI-1 works. 1989 Pin/Blade 2B's came with the blade grounded right from the factory.

Post #10 here gives the serial numbers of 2B's that don't need any modification . . . http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?44518-DIY-A1-I-questions
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2012
    CORRECT!!!! On the insde of the binding post cup there is a little white wire that connects the blade to the negitive binding post.
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2012
    You need to check the serial numbers of your speakers or look inside to know it the blade is attached to the tweeter negative so the AI-1 works.

1987 Blade/Blade 2B's and 1987/1988 Pin/Blade 2B's can easily be grounded so the AI-1 works. 1989 Pin/Blade 2B's came with the blade grounded right from the factory.

Greg is correct here. But you have the pin/blade so that is a plus if you have the single crossover board then you should be golden but non the less check your serial #'s. There is a list here somewhere for using the AI-1, I think it might be in the vintage speaker section as well as a sticky..
  • nspindel
    edited January 2012
    I've got 1C's, and I'll be doing up a set of CRS+'s soon enough.
  • nspindel
    edited January 2012
    Long story short, inside the cabinet if the blade terminal is shorted to the negative binding post, it's AI-1 compatible, true?
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited January 2012
    You need to check the serial numbers of your speakers (SDA 2B's) or look inside to know it the blade is attached to the tweeter negative so the AI-1 works.

Post #10 here gives the serial numbers of 2B's that don't need any modification . . . http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?44518-DIY-A1-I-questions

Post #17 here shows an "external" modification for an AI-1 you don't want to go inside of ungrouded large blade 2B cabinets and connect the large blade connection to ground . . . http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?75554-A1-Interconnect-for-SDA-2B&p=971932
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels