The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.1

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Realistically, is it worth using the 800va coil since the 1000va coil isn't available?

Is it something I'm going to notice the difference on with my 1c project. Or is it degrees of a smidge of a difference?
    The Polk-supplied AI-1 used a 0.13-ampere current-capacity, and 15VA (!!!) transformer.

Matthew Polk suggested a transformer that could handle "5+ amperes" peak current.

The 800 VA transformer is rated for two RCHs less than 7 amps.

Folks with better ears than mine say that there's still improvement in the larger transformer. You may be letting "perfect" be the enemy of "good"; I wouldn't NOT use an 800 VA transformer because I was waiting on a 1000 VA transformer.
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Folks with better ears than mine say that there's still improvement in the larger transformer. You may be letting "perfect" be the enemy of "good"; I wouldn't NOT use an 800 VA transformer because I was waiting on a 1000 VA transformer.

I'm stepping into enemy of good territory at the moment, I do agree.

I'm months out from realistically going Dreadnought facsimile, and have the other coils and internal wires to consider on the way. BUT, I'm trying to suss out all the options while I chug towards my first listen on the upgraded 1c. I didn't even attempt to test them out before I stripped them down. I want the experience to be totally new.

Anyhow =)

Yeah. if 800va is an audible improvement over stock? I think that'll do me when the time comes ;)\

I did find this thread to digest.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/131537/plitron-1000va-transformer-evaluation
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,907
    Options
    The 800VA is worth getting, it will make a huge difference over anything stock..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    The Avel-Lindberg 800VA Y236906 is off the shelf model, meaning stocked all the time. I've used it it works very good. I seriously doubt there will ever be a group effort again to get the minimum number needed, not to mention it's cost is going to be close to $300 each if not more.
    Get the 800va and do not look back.
    The only reason I sold my 800va was because I was sharing lead in the last group buy. Unlike previous group buys IIRC we did not get bigger discounts after a certain number. Cost did go down once we hit a certain number threshold but did not continue to drop if we doubled the count.

Get the 800va......
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Depends on the quality of the equipment upstream and your ears. As for me I thought I could hear a slight difference but it could have been the placebo effect
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus