Did this guy go too far?

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2008
    17 years of civil service from a cop in my home state protecting a crime ridden city deserves my respect. This blemish on his record certainly is something that I do not agree with, but will not take away from the other 6,204+ days that he performed his job without incident and seemingly upheld his oath to protect and serve.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited February 2008
    All ruined because he couldnt handle a punk calling him dude..
    shawn474 wrote: »
    17 years of civil service from a cop in my home state protecting a crime ridden city deserves my respect. This blemish on his record certainly is something that I do not agree with, but will not take away from the other 6,204+ days that he performed his job without incident and seemingly upheld his oath to protect and serve.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2008
    6200+ days of thugs, drugs, domestic violence calls and all it takes is a 14 year old with a cell camera on your sidewalk patrol to ruin your career.

I would find it difficult to believe that his method of intimidation just magicly appeared for the first time on this beat, more like it was the first time it was recorded. I did like the fact that he even told us his name so that no mistaken ID would be made.....
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited February 2008
    Some of you make me sick. No wonder this country is going down the toilet. That punk **** kid had all he got and more coming to him. Wake the F up people!!! The officer is a HERO in my book.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited February 2008
    He might have snapped but the kid isn't dead. I believe the days of smash mouth Police, in my Dad's era, should come back. You should be afraid of the Police....that's the idea.

Keep that in context but give me a break....kids have carte blanche these days. If your famous, its cool I guess. Lock 'em up.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2008
    I heard on the news this morning that the kid said that he and his friends find it funny to have confrontations with the police and video tape it to post on Youtube. I believe the camera I saw the kid holding is more than a cell phone so their is some intent if you ask me.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Entrapment! Throw the kid in the clink.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    Phasearray wrote:
    Im going to assume that if you had kid, you already sat them down prior to them turning 14 and told them the "this is how you react if a cop ever stops you" lecture.

Yes...I taught them to do what the policeman says, be polite, answer their questions, say yes sir, stay calm and chances are they will be on their way with no problems. I taught them to be respectful of all the adults they come in contact with whether it be cops, teachers or the person waiting tables at the local coffee shop. In fact...they had to get a job in a restaurant when they were young to get an appreciation of what it is like to have a so called "menial service job". They know what it is like to be treated like crap by some **** who thinks his french fries are too cold when they are busting their **** to take care of him for the 50¢ tip he might leave them. That served them well and they are now young adults who have a large group of adults (teachers, employers, coaches, etc..) they came in contact with who speak highly of them and are willing to now treat them as adult equals and will do anything they can to help them in their careers and life in general. They treat those less fortunate than them with respect and compassion. They have NEVER been in trouble in school or with the law. The made excellent grades and work hard at their jobs.

So yes...I did...because it was my job as their parent. Anything less would be wrong.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2008
    shack wrote: »
    Yes...I taught them to do what the policeman says, be polite, answer their questions, say yes sir, stay calm and chances are they will be on their way with no problems. I taught them to be respectful of all the adults they come in contact with whether it be cops, teachers or the person waiting tables at the local coffee shop. In fact...they had to get a job in a restaurant when they were young to get an appreciation of what it is like to have a so called "menial service job". They know what it is like to be treated like crap by some **** who thinks his french fries are too cold when they are busting their **** to take care of him for the 50¢ tip he might leave them. That served them well and they are now young adults who have a large group of adults (teachers, employers, coaches, etc..) they came in contact with who speak highly of them and are willing to now treat them as adult equals and will do anything they can to help them in their careers and life in general. They treat those less fortunate than them with respect and compassion. They have NEVER been in trouble in school or with the law. The made excellent grades and work hard at their jobs.

So yes...I did...because it was my job as their parent. Anything less would be wrong.

Shack for President!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    shawn474 wrote: »
    Cody,
    Quick question for ya pal. Ever wonder about credibility to speak on an issue when your post ends with a statement that cops don't ticket you when they know they are wrong although you have admittedly been pulled over 7 times!?!?!?;)

Most people on here know me well enough that I dont have to establish my credibility every time I post. Funny how, out of those 7 times, 1 was because a cop was speeding, another was because i supposedly peeled out in a gravel parking lot...which i dont peel out because tires are expensive (besides the fact that he proceeded to tailgate me through town), 1 was for driving without headlights (honest mistake, my truck has automatic headlights, my girlfriends car does not even though its a freakin 04, wish honda would get with the program. Not to mention the dash lights are on reguardless and it was in a well lit town, so i didnt even realize it), and actually, there were only 3 other times, two for speeding and one for rolling through a stop sign...both on country roads.

All of them were harmless enough that the judge saw fit to let me take defensive driving or judicial adjudication for so I have no tickets on my record and never have.

So to answer your question, no, I think my credibility is just fine;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited February 2008
    Rather than freaking out and turning something as simple as kids hanging out into a physical confrontation the cop should have educated the kids as to why they are not supposed to skate there. The cops job is to "protect and serve" it says so right on their cars, after all we are talking about 14 year old kids not pickpockets,rapists or crack dealers.

And to those who think "That kids dad needs to throw him a beating!" all that does is teach kids it is ok to handle situations with violence. You will end up with a angry young man who spends hours in the gym, earns the nickname "the mule" for being hard headed. He will probably have a problem with road rage, he will probably be the type of guy who would pull someone out of a car to tell them how stupid they are and how their dads didn't beat them enough. He will probably tell his employees that he will go to their house and pull them out the front door and beat them in front of their wife and kids if they ever do something that stuped again.

Yes believe me it takes a few years to unlearn the improper way of handleing situations. It is better to teach kids the right way from the beginning before they get themselves into real trouble.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    I heard on the news this morning that the kid said that he and his friends find it funny to have confrontations with the police and video tape it to post on Youtube. I believe the camera I saw the kid holding is more than a cell phone so their is some intent if you ask me.

The effing brats are looking for their 15 minutes of fame on Youtube and news shows while disgracing and possibly ruining the career of a fine officer. They go out and intentionally break some city ordinance, like no skateboarding around the Harbor, and hope they have a run in with an officer. At 14 years old, I was terrified of cops.

Sorry, i'm behind the officer 100% on this one. The **** Baltimore City Officers have to put up with day in and day out is unreal. #2 in per capita murders in the nation and the heroin capital of the nation...do the f***ing math people! You're worried about a little brat having nothing more than his ego bruised. If his mother had any common sense, she would stand with the officer and slap the **** out of her son for doing that! The kid with the camcorder is damn lucky some street thug heroin addict didn't shoot him and take the camcorder for his daily fix.
    No excuses!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    The cop made a mistake and overreacted...So what? I've done the same thing in my job. You do your best to not let the rest of your life affect what you do for a living...but as much as we should...it is impossible to check everything else at the door when you go to work. The kids constitutional rights weren't violated...he got chewed out by a cop. He wasn't injured. He wasn't humilitated (chances are he's been bragging about this for months and now he is cool). BFD. IF the kid hadn't been skating there where it was prohibited and IF the kid had simply said "yes sir" and moved on NOTHING more would have happened.

Both were wrong...let it go...and move on. But like EVERTHING else...the smallest of things is now a federal case. Mom and dad will be rich, the kid is a cult hero, the cop probably will never be as effective in his job...and the City will probably be sued the next time some kid on a skateboard mows somebody down for "not controling the skateboarders"....and the vicious cycle starts all over again. What at F****d up society this is becoming.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDVhqbT6IgU

Now, here's a real example of a dumb bunch of cops who should likely be shot. I don't see these cops serving any greater good with their actions.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    SolidSqual,
    I'm not defending their actions, but it's more common to find a perfectly able bodied person in a wheelchair being admitted into jail than a true quadriplegic. Usually their goal is to smuggle drugs or worse inside. Or, they're scared of jail and use the wheelchair as a vice to be kept out of general population.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    Face wrote: »
    SolidSqual,
    I'm not defending their actions, but it's more common to find a perfectly able bodied person in a wheelchair being admitted into jail than a true quadriplegic. Usually their goal is to smuggle drugs or worse inside. Or, they're scared of jail and use the wheelchair as a vice to be kept out of general population.

Haha I would agree. I was just playing devil'a advocate to see if people would wonder about what the cops are used to dealing with.

Go find the interview with the quadriplegic on youtube done by fox. The guy can't answer a single question by the reporter and speaks much like the young kid from the other video on this thread.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited February 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    Suspended with pay? That tells you how much the B'More Police gives a damn about an officer over the edge.
    Standard........any officer involved shooting (justified or not) results in a suspension with pay based on investigation.......probably something that's written into their contracts basically..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2008
    Hahaha, another video with the same cop has surfaced! This time he kicks a guy's remote-controlled car. The guy released it after seeing the first video.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=867_1203133697
  • exalted512
    edited February 2008
    omg im a moving box! GTFO! Your remote controlled cars are not allowed here!

Real class act this guy is.
    -Cody
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited February 2008
    So apparently the skateboard incident wasn't a rare loss of cool for this guy......he is a repeat offender...a serial **** :D

He was gonna skate on the first video...this one will get his fat **** fired.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    So apparently the skateboard incident wasn't a rare loss of cool for this guy......he is a repeat offender...a serial **** :D

He was gonna skate on the first video...this one will get his fat **** fired.

It would appear so. I love his patrol car too!:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • shadowofnight
    edited February 2008
    I love his patrol car too!:D

So thats what got him so pissed at the skateboarder...in a previous pursuit , the skateboarder had him by 5mph and he got away :D
  • exalted512
    edited February 2008
    Had him by 5mph or was going 5mph and got away?:confused::D
    -Cody
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2008
    He's pissed for getting stuck with the Clown Car, and all the stems are laughing at him. . . again. Shouldn't be an officer. Let him go, and the stand up cops look better.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • shadowofnight
    edited February 2008
    the stand up cops look better.

As opposed to the Butterball roll around variety :D
  • Kris Siegel
    Kris Siegel Posts: 309
    edited February 2008
    I work just a couple of blocks from where this happened :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited February 2008
    This thread pretty much describes what is wrong in america today.The people are destroying this country from the inside.No moral values,no respect for authority,or anything else for that matter.You tie a cops hands and cry when he does nothing.When I was growing up,if a cop hit me,my parents would say ..good,you deserved it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • exalted512
    edited February 2008
    I work just a couple of blocks from where this happened :)

You should get a remote controlled skateboard and put a box on it and see what happens:p
    -Cody
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    Let's see . . . a box with unknown contents moving around a public area while somebody is videotaping. Seems suspicious enough to kick the box over and see what's under. The kid admitted that he was videotaping how people reacted to the box. He got what he asked for. That kids lucky the bomb squad wasn't called in. The same thing happened here in Indy on my campus.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    what was up with the police car? it looked like a golf cart.... doood!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: