Did this guy go too far?

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2008
    It looks as though "egg" cops should have helmet cams to insure both parties are kept within the realm of reasonable respect for each other. That cop doesn't have a clue on how to "lead" others, only how to rant and demand respect.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    If you dealt with the scum of the earth that he deals with on a daily basis, you'd be the same way.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2008
    It looks as though "egg" cops should have helmet cams to insure both parties are kept within the realm of reasonable respect for each other. That cop doesn't have a clue on how to "lead" others, only how to rant and demand respect.

This is a very general statement based on 3.5 minutes of video. What was said before the camera was turned on?

Who said it was a cops job to lead? That being said, I bet many of the world's greatest leaders had fathers who kicked their butts in shape much like that cop may have done to that kid.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited February 2008
    I would hardly call that assault, or a beating. He was pretty gentle putting a struggling kid on the ground. And if an officer puts you on the ground, you stay there, or expect to get knocked back on the ground.
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    Let's recap.

While ranting . . . the cop was ordering the kid to . . .
    1. Form complete sentences.
    2. Address him according to his title.
    3. Look him in the eye while speaking.
    4. Enunciate and project while speaking.

****, this is all stuff I was told to do by my Dad in order to get my first job!
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited February 2008
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    This is a very general statement based on 3.5 minutes of video. What was said before the camera was turned on?

Who said it was a cops job to lead? That being said, I bet many of the world's greatest leaders had fathers who kicked their butts in shape much like that cop may have done to that kid.

I guess you're right...........those who can't lead, become cops, thus there is a badge issued to hide behind when not on video.:rolleyes:

I have always believed that respect on both sides helps....
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    I guess you're right...........those who can't lead, become cops, thus there is a badge issued to hide behind when not on video.:rolleyes:

I have always believed that respect on both sides helps....

haha nice
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited February 2008
    I watched it again to catch where it went wrong, and since the kid was skating illegally, I think the cop handled it properly and was cool up until the kid disrepected him, by not listening, then the cop lost control or took control, however you want to view it.

I'm sure both parties feel foolish now that the world has access to it.

• SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    The tough part about watching that video is not letting yourself become overwhelmed by seeing a kid get handled by an adult. Logic is hard pressed to trump emotion. No one likes to see things like this, but the dialog proves the kid was no saint.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    Whose fault is it that the kid was skating illegally? Whose fault is it that the kid doesn't know to use the word "officer" or "patrolman"?

I don't have any other questions. Like somebody said earlier, there are rogue cops, and cops that have a bad day and then maybe a SEMI-rogue moment. I think it's a joke though that the kid probably STILL hasn't learned the lesson. I hope they're not too rough on the cop.
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    Whose fault is it that the kid was skating illegally? Whose fault is it that the kid doesn't know to use the word "officer" or "patrolman"?

I don't have any other questions. Like somebody said earlier, there are rogue cops, and cops that have a bad day and then maybe a SEMI-rogue moment. I think it's a joke though that the kid probably STILL hasn't learned the lesson. I hope they're not too rough on the cop.

Whose fault? Didn't you hear the kid has no Dad! I blame Hillary Clinton for not passing the right legislation in her 35 years in office.

Also, it doesn't really matter whether the kid was ignorant to the law or not . . . the law assumes you know the law. I bet the kid's friends will think twice next time they go skateboarding.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2008
    Kids don't respect cops because they were never taught to respect their parents.

I'm sorry but I take offense to this. I have deep respect for my parents and have rarely talked back to them. I don't have respect for most the officers (more like bullies with authority) I have come in contact with. Again, this is only in my hometown really though Nashville is bad enough (Shots heard behind my apartment nightly and there is a precinct less than 2 miles away - I see virtually no cops policing this area and have not seen one turn off and go to the trouble area).

I don't doubt there are decent officers, I have met a few but the majority I know/met are true dicks.

I'm not defending this kid in any sense, he's an idiot for not obeying a cop; but most kids (I'm still one at 19 I suppose) have no respect for cops because the cops they encounter don't deserve respect.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    Face wrote: »
    If you dealt with the scum of the earth that he deals with on a daily basis, you'd be the same way.

somehow judging by the boyscout shorts he wears and the electric go cart, I doubt he takes part in any of the hardcore stuff.
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    I respect your opinion and appreciate where you come from. Where I come from, the cops have saved my **** on several occasions and genuinely offer an environment of increased safety.

As far as you taking offense to the comment. Let me clarify. You can choose to respect whomever you choose. By all means go for it. But, my comment was directed in general against bad parenting. The way in which the kid handled himself in the face of conflict and authority screams of little if any direction by a good parent. You don't have to respect a police officer, but to get by in life, you do have to know how to respect authority.
  • Phasearray
    edited February 2008
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with those kids. Boys will be boys. They're teenagers. They're doing what they're suppose to do. If the idiot of a police officer could not comprehend that then he doesn't deserve to wear that badge. It's not like they're out stealing, stabbing people in gang fights, selling drugs, or practicing extortion. It's a absolute shame and complete waste of tax dollar that his job is to rough up 14 year old boys who might break a minor city rule.
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    Phasearray wrote: »
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with those kids. Boys will be boys. They're teenagers. They're doing what they're suppose to do. If the idiot of a police officer could not comprehend that then he doesn't deserve to wear that badge. It's not like they're out stealing, stabbing people in gang fights, selling drugs, or practicing extortion. It's a absolute shame and complete waste of tax dollar that his job is to rough up 14 year old boys who might break a minor city rule.

I agree boys will be boys, but cops will be cops. A passive attitude in parenting leaves someone like this ranting cop to do the dirty work.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited February 2008
    Once he got physical with the kid it should have been off to jail and let the judge sort it out. Now hes eating the crap sammich for his lack of judgment. Let the courts be the "boot in the ****" or whatever he said. Now its a circus and the kid will only get worse from it
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited February 2008
    They're breaking the law wyatt.. lol
  • Phasearray
    edited February 2008
    I have to add, that officer's **** sense of entitlement is one of the major thing wrong with this country. He thinks just because his cream puff **** wears the budge he is entitled to be called Sir or Officer. Maybe his parents didn't teach him that in this world you have to earn respect. Trying to beat it out of a 14 year old boy does not earn you respect.

I'll admit that when I was their age me and my old friends had countless run in with the local law enforcement. First few times we called them dude, man, yo, etc... They always politely taught us the proper way to address authority. I've never seen a **** of a police like him. We learned to somewhat respect the local police through interaction, they didnt' beat it out of us like this **** did.

And dont' even bring up this **** about "parents should bring up their kids better." I find it personally offensive. My parents never taught me the proper way to address an police officer and I called them dudes the first few times. Does that make my parents bad parents? **** no. We didn't have the luxury of growing up in upscale neighborhood where happy families taught kids how to properly address everyone. I grew up in mostly ****, high crime, juvy infested shitholes where my dad who barely speakes english made $300/month. Life sucked but my Dad did his part in teaching me to be a good person. When I got older, he worked his **** off scraping up every dollar so we can move into a better neighborhood and had a better shot at a decent education. Dont' give me this **** that just because he didn't teach me how to properly address a police officer he's a bad parent. He himself barely spe aks english and never had a run in with the law. Not every body lives in this priviledge lollipop life which I somewhat enjoy now thanks to my Dad who never taught me how to address a police officer.
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    The minute he earned the right to wear that badge, he earned the right to be addressed as sir, officer, or patrolman.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2008
    Exactly George, perfectly precise and to the point...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    Since we're all so easily offended. I take offense to your assumptions. First, I grew up in Euclid, Ohio, just outside of East Cleveland. Do some research on crime in those areas. It's off the hook. I've been jumped several times and fought my way out of several bad situations. So, if you are implying that I came from a rich background then you are sorely mistaken. I've worked myself in and out of debt to accomplish what I have.

Second, if you call that a beating then I assume you grew up in a yuppy neighborhood. :)

That being said, your parents sound like good people and I meant you nor them no disrespect. That being said, you admitted they failed in teaching you how to talk to an officer. I bet when you have kids you will teach them accordingly.

P.S. Do you think that kid appreciates his lollipop life?
    I have to add, that officer's **** sense of entitlement is one of the major thing wrong with this country. He thinks just because his cream puff **** wears the budge he is entitled to be called Sir or Officer. Maybe his parents didn't teach him that in this world you have to earn respect. Trying to beat it out of a 14 year old boy does not earn you respect.

I'll admit that when I was their age me and my old friends had countless run in with the local law enforcement. First few times we called them dude, man, yo, etc... They always politely taught us the proper way to address authority. I've never seen a **** of a police like him. We learned to somewhat respect the local police through interaction, they didnt' beat it out of us like this **** did.

And dont' even bring up this **** about "parents should bring up their kids better." I find it personally offensive. My parents never taught me the proper way to address an police officer and I called them dudes the first few times. Does that make my parents bad parents? **** no. We didn't have the luxury of growing up in upscale neighborhood where happy families taught kids how to properly address everyone. I grew up in mostly ****, high crime, juvy infested shitholes where my dad who barely speakes english made $300/month. Life sucked but my Dad did his part in teaching me to be a good person. When I got older, he worked his **** off scraping up every dollar so we can move into a better neighborhood and had a better shot at a decent education. Dont' give me this **** that just because he didn't teach me how to properly address a police officer he's a bad parent. He himself barely spe aks english and never had a run in with the law. Not every body lives in this priviledge lollipop life which I somewhat enjoy now thanks to my Dad who never taught me how to address a police officer.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2008
    I love the fact that some feel since the officer wore shorts and ran around in an electric car somehow means that he deserves less respect than a "regular" cop. He is an officer of the law and as such deserves respect. Was he a dick for doing what he did? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Fact is he was doing his job - debatable on how well he was doing it admittedly. But these guys go out every day and night and deal with this type of bull **** and far, far worse things. Reprimand the guy, consider his past record of doing his job well and be done with it. There is no respect from many of today's youth and a sense of entitlement by kids (to say the cop was entitled is laughable) that is frankly nauseating. Does it go back to parenting? Perhaps, though I have my own theories on numerous other contributing factors. When I was a kid, I would have known what I was doing was wrong, taken a tongue lashing from the cop, apologized and walked my happy **** home to get a beating from my parents for breaking the law.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    shawn474 wrote: »
    I love the fact that some feel since the officer wore shorts and ran around in an electric car somehow means that he deserves less respect than a "regular" cop. He is an officer of the law and as such deserves respect. Was he a dick for doing what he did? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Fact is he was doing his job - debatable on how well he was doing it admittedly. But these guys go out every day and night and deal with this type of bull **** and far, far worse things. Reprimand the guy, consider his past record of doing his job well and be done with it. There is no respect from many of today's youth and a sense of entitlement by kids (to say the cop was entitled is laughable) that is frankly nauseating. Does it go back to parenting? Perhaps, though I have my own theories on numerous other contributing factors. When I was a kid, I would have known what I was doing was wrong, taken a tongue lashing from the cop, apologized and walked my happy **** home to get a beating from my parents for breaking the law.

I got into a fight once and was taken in the station to call my Mom . . . she let me stay there all day. She sided with the bloody cops! Ugh . . . parents.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2008
    I would bet that there are more than enough signs that list that you cannot ride a bike, skateboard, roller blades a pink flamingo or whatever could hurt another citizen walking on the Promenade. The other reason is for all the damage that the skaters do to the granite/concrete/marble steps that the tax payers pay for and have to replace due to the damage caused directly by the skateboards.

Not to mention it never is shown if the officer had warned them earlier.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    I'm offended that you think rationally.
  • Phasearray
    edited February 2008
    I didn't assume ur from Merry Poppin land. Technically I didn't address anyone in particular. I meant is not everyone grew up in a condition where the parent are so concerned with making sure their kid knows how to properly address everyone. But just out of curiousity, if your first run in with a police officer was around the age of 14, did you or your friend naturally addressed him as sir?

What I am referring to is before somebody tries to make a connection that parents who don't teach their kids at an early age how to properly address a police officer is somehow a bad parents, I would find that offensive because indirectly that person would be telling me that my parents are bad parents. If somebody calls your parents "bad parents" when you know they've tried their freakin best, would you be offended? I don't think anyone here has directly stated that, but just throwing that out there before someone does.

Since we're all so easily offended. I take offense to your assumptions. First, I grew up in Euclid, Ohio, just outside of East Cleveland. Do some research on crime in those areas. It's off the hook. I've been jumped several times and fought my way out of several bad situations. So, if you are implying that I came from a rich background then you are sorely mistaken. I've worked myself in and out of debt to accomplish what I have.

Second, if you call that a beating then I assume you grew up in a yuppy neighborhood. :)

That being said, your parents sound like good people and I meant you nor them no disrespect. That being said, you admitted they failed in teaching you how to talk to an officer. I bet when you have kids you will teach them accordingly.

P.S. Do you think that kid appreciates his lollipop life?
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
  • Phasearray
    edited February 2008

I hope they fire his ****. He's a Public Servant. Public Servants placed in a position of power are entrusted not to abuse it. He's a police officer who has sworn to protect, not to shove some kid by the neck onto the ground. Since he obviously couldn't handle the incredible pressure of being a sidewalk patrol without snapping, his **** needs to go.
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2008
    That cop is one serious loser who takes out his crappy living on kids. He's a fat pig with no interest in serving the public like the majority of police. He deserves to get sued so he can lose the $314 he has in the bank.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    Number 1, dont get offended on this website. Someone stated their opinion, you can express your own as well, but getting offended doesnt get anyone anywhere.

2. That seems like the beginning of what happened. Dont you think, he wouldve said ive already told you once, if he had already told them? Just from the words said, seems to me that that was the beginning of the confrontation. The kid was a little disrespectful, but the cop was yelling at him, goes on to rant about his father and how bad his parents are, how hes going to die from not saying sir. Respect is a two-way street, no matter how old you are. The guy was on a power trip and decided to take it out on a little kid. How are kids supposed to look up to cops and respect cops if this is the way they treat them? You know why kids dont respect cops? Because of **** bags like the one in the video.

And for all that, they give him a paid vacation, must be nice.

"He had no other records" Well I wonder how many he would have had if everyone carried around video cameras.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it