Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
Post edited by Phasearray on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    Yeah dude. :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    Eeesh, yeah. Sounds like from the way the kid talked to the officer that the kid's parents probably should have smacked him around a bit more, but... a cop can't shove a kid to the ground for being vaguely disrespectful.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    dude, yeah man deff

waiting for Dr. Face and Darlanut to respond.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited February 2008
    Officer Rivieri for President.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2008
    I would say his conduct was not completely out of line. The kid was disobeying direct commands. Also, the kid was holding what arguably could be used as a weapon in both hands. Not to mention he had atleast three other buddies around the scene. The officer had to take control of the situation and establish his dominance. (You could tell by the kid's actions that he did not respect the office outright, so the officer had to use some fear). That being said the officer did seem to ramp it up a little fast. But, what was the context?

In my opinion the kid did not get assaulted in the least. He was disarmed and put to the ground. The forceful conduct was minimal and relatively slow and gentle. In fact it was small enough to allow the kid to still have the courage to get up off the ground after being told to stay.

How often are those kids skating around that property? The activity destroys benches and stone adornments that results in thousands of dollars in damage.

I get thrown around more playing with my German Shepherd.
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    Kid Bush - "I would have left if he had been nice to me, but he just kept on going and yelling at me."

This statement is an example that he missed the point of that confrontation.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2008
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jLYzho6Af_o&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jLYzho6Af_o&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I think he went way too far. He's a scrawny skateboard punk, this officer is huge; nothing the kid could do would have threatened the officer. Also, even though it may not be right, the whole reason high school kids have no respect for cops is this sort of behavior. Teens are rebellious by nature and that should be noted when dealing with them.

I can understand both sides of the argument. I personally will give as much respect as the person deserves. Everyone starts at 100 and determines what they get past that.

Of course the kid was a **** and who knows what happened before hand.

EDIT:
    I have no idea what cops are like there but I do know in my hometown, I don't have much respect for cops now because they all sit around racking up traffic violations instead of policing the problem spots where gang type activity is starting to develop.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited February 2008
    Can't give any sort of informed opinion about this, because it is not clear what happened before the video was shot. As SolidSqual says above ... we don't know the whole story, so there's not enough info to know the context of what happened.

Excerpt from the police spokesman:
    "We don't know what happened before the video clip. We don't know what happened after. But there are obviously some things to be concerned about there," said Sterling Clifford, a spokesman for the Baltimore police.
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2008
    The kid should count his blessings it was an officer that was the first to show him his lip could get him into trouble. I can see the officer learning from his mistake, but I'm betting that kid will never amount to anything worthwhile.
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited February 2008
    //begin rant

BTW - this is a classic "bait the reader" type of story that you see so often from Internet reports ... give a tidbit of a story about something controversial and then let the blog commenters battle it out. At the end, there's a lot of rhetoric and finger-pointing but no one learns anything.

//end rant
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited February 2008
    It's a good point about not knowing what came before, but we as the viewer CAN'T know what came before. We're shown a video and based on that video alone the officer went "too far". If it was an adult and not a scrawny kid I would probably change my tune.

I am glad the kid caught a much-deserved beating, don't get me wrong.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited February 2008
    petrym wrote: »
    Officer Rivieri for President.

He's got my vote!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2008
    The kid should have been tasered then beat senseless then tasered again and again until he stops saying dude.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Madmax for Vice President.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    He should have pounded that kid into the pavement till he bled out.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited February 2008
    I don't think the officer went to far. I think the kid deserved it. The kid was breaking the law, and being a disrespectful punk. Yes it is against the law to skateboard in the Inner Harbor. In reality the Officer should have ticketed or arrested him for breaking the law. I would have gotten the snot beat out of me if I had talked to an adult like that at 14.

Unfortunately this shows every other punk kid that they can be disrespectful to police officers or any other adult/authority figure and get away with it.

Nuff said.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    Toss the little **** in the Harbor. People go in and usually don't come out!

It's kids with attitudes like that that can normally be seen in gangs and contributing to our sky high murder rate.

Now mommy is going to come to her innocent baby's defense screaming lawsuit, thus securing in his mind that he can get away with anything.

In the Harbor with the little ****!!!
    No excuses!
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    ledhed wrote: »
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jLYzho6Af_o&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jLYzho6Af_o&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I think he went way too far. He's a scrawny skateboard punk, this officer is huge; nothing the kid could do would have threatened the officer. Also, even though it may not be right, the whole reason high school kids have no respect for cops is this sort of behavior. Teens are rebellious by nature and that should be noted when dealing with them.

I can understand both sides of the argument. I personally will give as much respect as the person deserves. Everyone starts at 100 and determines what they get past that.

Of course the kid was a **** and who knows what happened before hand.

EDIT:
    I have no idea what cops are like there but I do know in my hometown, I don't have much respect for cops now because they all sit around racking up traffic violations instead of policing the problem spots where gang type activity is starting to develop.

Kids don't respect cops because they were never taught to respect their parents.
  • mule
    mule Posts: 282
    edited February 2008
    wow that cop needs some decaf and a diet. He could have handled himself in a more profesional manner. Usually if you yell at someone they are just going to yell back so it just makes more sense to have a rational conversation. I think a lot of cops can be irrational and it gives the good guys a bad name, kind of leads to a downward spiral.

The other funny thing is when he tells the kid his behavior will get him killed, the way I see it the cops behavior will get him killed a lot quicker.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited February 2008
    DUDE go's on his power trip feeling all macho then gets in his little egg and drives away like a ****. Whata loser. This guy is one step above a security gaurd. I dont like punk kids either but either write the kid a ticket, take him into custody or shut the efff up.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited February 2008
    "I'm not you father, you can give that attitude to your father ..."

(the following should be read in an ultra-meg, whiny, brat voice)

"Heeeey, I don't have a father ...."

...and THAT, ladies and gentlemen, explains why this kid doesn't respect authority.

""I was very upset," Bush's mother, Peggy Miller, said of watching the video."

Oh ? Are you upset because your kid's a wannabe skater brat ?

No.

Are you upset because this video shows what a lousy job you're doing instilling some manners in your kid ?

No.

Well, good luck in the future, madam. This is just a shadow of things to come.
    Sal Palooza
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    The guy is a cop in Baltimore. I wonder what he had to see yesterday. I wonder what he had to witness last week. I wonder what real **** this guy sees every day. Maybe the kid was the straw that broke the camel's back, and maybe he's lucky he's got teeth.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited February 2008
    Suspended with pay? That tells you how much the B'More Police gives a damn about an officer over the edge.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    That kids a worthless, punk, SLACKER! He is 'Cartman' from South Park in the living flesh!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2008
    This story is local to me and is already legend. I guess I can see that both involved had an influence in what happened. The kid was breaking the law and the cop went a little too far. That said, I'd be much more willing to cut the cop a little bit of slack considering they are not saying that he has previous incidents on his record (I don't know whether or not he does, but none have been reported). Just what George said, we don't know what this guy has dealt with - murders, beatings, etc. in the days leading up to this and it might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. We ALL have bad days where we lose our temper. It could have been A LOT worse for the kid with a tasering (a kid in Frederick was killed when a cop tasered him late last year). The cop deserves to be reprimanded, but I'm not ready to call him a rogue cop who needs to lose his job. Just the same I think the kid needs to go to boot camp for disrespectful punk kids, but I'm not ready to annoint him the second coming of Satan either.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2008
    ledhed wrote: »

You noticed that too? You couldn't go to 2nd ave in Nashville on a Friday or Saturday night without hearing at least one gunshot...Yet the only thing happening on the street is some cop hassling a drunk kid being carried to the car by his buddies....Misplaced priorities maybe? TN has long overlooked their gang and meth problem, and now it is biting them in the ****. They have cleaned up a lot of the meth, but I didn't see anything addressing the gangs that were on the rise....

EDIT:
    I agree with George, who the hell knows what this guy sees everyday? Not seeing the entire exchange also kinda skews people towards the kid, the real provoking comments were probably edited out. I probably would have tazed that little f$%ker, I can't stand all of these little **** teenagers who have ZERO respect for anyone or anything...
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    "I'm not you father, you can give that attitude to your father ..."

(the following should be read in an ultra-meg, whiny, brat voice)

"Heeeey, I don't have a father ...."

...and THAT, ladies and gentlemen, explains why this kid doesn't respect authority.

""I was very upset," Bush's mother, Peggy Miller, said of watching the video."

Oh ? Are you upset because your kid's a wannabe skater brat ?

No.

Are you upset because this video shows what a lousy job you're doing instilling some manners in your kid ?

No.

Well, good luck in the future, madam. This is just a shadow of things to come.

Way to lay that out man.
  • SolidSqual
    edited February 2008
    "Rivieri, who has no complaints on his record, was suspended with pay."

Just to clarify. This statement was included in the ABC report which seems to indicate the cops record is spotless in terms of complaints of this nature. That kid likely had it coming.
    shawn474 wrote: »
    This story is local to me and is already legend. I guess I can see that both involved had an influence in what happened. The kid was breaking the law and the cop went a little too far. That said, I'd be much more willing to cut the cop a little bit of slack considering they are not saying that he has previous incidents on his record (I don't know whether or not he does, but none have been reported). Just what George said, we don't know what this guy has dealt with - murders, beatings, etc. in the days leading up to this and it might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. We ALL have bad days where we lose our temper. It could have been A LOT worse for the kid with a tasering (a kid in Frederick was killed when a cop tasered him late last year). The cop deserves to be reprimanded, but I'm not ready to call him a rogue cop who needs to lose his job. Just the same I think the kid needs to go to boot camp for disrespectful punk kids, but I'm not ready to annoint him the second coming of Satan either.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited February 2008
    The guy is a cop in Baltimore. I wonder what he had to see yesterday. I wonder what he had to witness last week. I wonder what real **** this guy sees every day. Maybe the kid was the straw that broke the camel's back, and maybe he's lucky he's got teeth.

I live in the county east of Baltimore City. Trust me, not a day goes by that there isn't some crap happening in the city. The police force has yet another police chief who has to report to a worthless mayor. I think last year the city saw around 280 murders. Yeah, that makes us #2 in per capita in the country.

This cop no doubt sees and/or deals with little punk **** kids like this day in and day out. I'm sure he had enough and snapped. The kid is lucky the cop didn't snap too far and launch a round out of Mr. Glock!

I don't go downtown by myself any longer. Even with a group, i'm still afraid to park in the garages.
    No excuses!
  • F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Don't worry John, I'll protect you.

President of Club Polk