Did this guy go too far?

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited February 2008
    Phase, not in the forgiving mood tonight I guess? You've never had a bad day at work and taken it a little too far, then got scolded by the boss, apologized and went on with your life. I hardly think this incident, for a guy who by all accounts has never had a disciplinary mark on his record, calls for his livelihood to be taken away from him. Christ, it's not like he shot the kid (God forbid).

The sad thing is that I would almost bet that this family (as hockeyboy would seemingly) sues the cop and the police depatment for assault, improper use of force, etc. to get a pay day instead of teaching this kid a lesson in discipline and respect. I hardly have a problem with a cop scolding a punk kid and even "placing" him in a seated position (I am not saying this particular cop was justified in his use of this tactic).

To say that "kids don't respect cops because they're **** bags" like this one is a blanket statement. Some (not ALL) kids nowadays have a hard time respecting anyone in an authority position. SOME kids don't respect cops or mall security guards or teachers just because they represent authority and don't want to be told what to do.

That cops "crappy living" could save the life of you or one of your friends or family members. Fat pig with no interest in serving the public? You have no idea what that cop has done in his career. Let's play Devil's Advocate here. Said kid is skateboarding where it is clearly posted otherwise. There are MANY people walking the Harbor every day. The skateboard, in the midst of the kid breaking the law, kicks out from his feet and hits a toddler walking with his family enjoying the day in the head and severely injures him. Whose fault? The kid with the skateboard, right? I'm sure you would then argue that it would be the city's fault for not enforcing the law. Get a clue, man.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Frank840
    Frank840 Posts: 262
    edited February 2008
    Phasearray wrote: »
    I hope they fire his ****. He's a Public Servant. Public Servants placed in a position of power are entrusted not to abuse it. He's a police officer who has sworn to protect, not to shove some kid by the neck onto the ground. Since he obviously couldn't handle the incredible pressure of being a sidewalk patrol without snapping, his **** needs to go.

I know a 14 year old KID bet that cop feels real good about himself . For the PEOPLE That dont Live in baltimore where the KIDS were at, you are able to Skate there. Your not allow to skate on the REd brick stuff. Seriously Tho if that was your KID and he was put down to the ground by a cop for saying "dude" you wouldnt be pissed DUDE OMG that is so Rude what hell are you people on Crack it is a KID.... Saying the these are the kind of kids you see in Gangs obivously you havent paid much attention or where you live all the KIDS are goody to shoes and are rICH with BIG YARD to skate in....
    - This your Bush?
    Pioneer Elite Sc-25
    Polk Lsic,15's,9's, PSW1000
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2008
    The majority of police behave exactly as this guy does. I have seen them blatantly lie on the stand, and this guy deserves no forgiveness. He absolutely should be terminated immediately. If I had such an outburst where I work there is little doubt I would be fired.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2008
    I agree Frank. Agreed that the kids were skating at the wrong place. There is a mechanism to prohibit this; a ticket! A minor can be ticketed with a copy mailed to his home address. When his parents have to pay $250 for a ticket we can be confident the kid would have learned a valuable lesson.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    One of these days Phase may need the assistance of a cop to save his ****...and if he has his way in choice of "public servants"...no one but "Barney Fifes" with no respect, no authority and no bullets will be left. Good luck on staying safe.

If one's parents did not teach their kids how to treat other people and those in a position of authority with respect....then **** YEAH they were bad parents who didn't raise their kids properly.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2008
    I think he just snapped on this kid. Not really too cool IMO.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited February 2008
    shawn474 wrote: »
    Phase, not in the forgiving mood tonight I guess? You've never had a bad day at work and taken it a little too far, then got scolded by the boss, apologized and went on with your life. I hardly think this incident, for a guy who by all accounts has never had a disciplinary mark on his record, calls for his livelihood to be taken away from him. Christ, it's not like he shot the kid (God forbid).

I've had bad days, I've had horrible days. Today happend to be a great day at work thank you very much. But I also feel very very strongly that a Civil Servant(And I was one and I still feel very strongly about it) who makes his living collecting the tax dollar of those who place their trust on him/her should never abuse the position that he/she is in.
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • Phasearray
    edited February 2008
    shack wrote: »

If one's parents did not teach their kids how to treat other people and those in a position of authority with respect....then **** YEAH they were bad parents who didn't raise their kids properly.

Are you saying my parents are bad and didn't raise me properly?
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2008
    Frank840 wrote: »
    I know a 14 year old KID bet that cop feels real good about himself . For the PEOPLE That dont Live in baltimore where the KIDS were at, you are able to Skate there. Your not allow to skate on the REd brick stuff. Seriously Tho if that was your KID and he was put down to the ground by a cop for saying "dude" you wouldnt be pissed DUDE OMG that is so Rude what hell are you people on Crack it is a KID.... Saying the these are the kind of kids you see in Gangs obivously you havent paid much attention or where you live all the KIDS are goody to shoes and are rICH with BIG YARD to skate in....

KID PEOPLE L KIDS S RE T KID DUDE OMG R C KID G KIDS ICH BIG YARD

Anyone seen my secret decoder ring? I'm gettin' close to solving this one.;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • shawn474
    edited February 2008
    To put things in perspective a little, I would wager that a HORRIBLE day for this guy at work is cleaning up bodies from a drunk driving accident, responding to houses where kids are abandoned, finding a baby left in a dumpster and the list can go on and on about the most depressing things you could possibly see. I hardly think that most of us can even fathom the effect that has when we say we have a "horrible" day at work. Does he deserve to be disciplined as a civil servant? Abso-freaking-lutely! Does he deserve to be burned at the stake for one incident on his record. Hardly! If you think so, we will never agree on this topic (that's what makes this forum and this country so great).
    Shawn
  • Frank840
    edited February 2008
    KID PEOPLE L KIDS S RE T KID DUDE OMG R C KID G KIDS ICH BIG YARD

Anyone seen my secret decoder ring? I'm gettin' close to solving this one.;)

what a dick
    - This your Bush?
    Pioneer Elite Sc-25
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited February 2008
    I think he just snapped on this kid. Not really too cool IMO.
    Eye to eye Darla. We seem to be in the minority w/ this one though. BTW, where you been hidin'?

On a different note. Just a statement and not a direct opinion of this thread, but where I come from respect is earned and not given. One may have a title as an officer, a judge, a president. That doesn't earn you jack **** in my book until you earn my respect. At that point, respect will be given.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited February 2008
    ......And before anybody says it, I was raised a military brat and had a 1 star Brig. Gen. as a GF. He's the one who taught me that.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    treitz3 wrote: »

On a different note. Just a statement and not a direct opinion of this thread, but where I come from respect is earned and not given. One may have a title as an officer, a judge, a president. That doesn't earn you jack **** in my book until you earn my respect. At that point, respect will be given.

couldnt agree more.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Frank840
    edited February 2008
    i wonder what this cop would do to a baby in a stroller. Im thinking Drop kick the baby

Cause the baby was CRYING .....
    - This your Bush?
    Pioneer Elite Sc-25
  • shawn474
    edited February 2008
    Shouldn't police officers who do so many things to help on a daily basis deserve our respect until proved otherwise? Agree or not with the war, soldiers deserve my respect. They do not have to "earn" it. They earn it by simply doing their job that allows me to live the way that I do. I don't have to know someone to respect them. I was taught to respect everyone unless they did something to damage that. This guys record speaks for itself and his credibility should take a hit for this incident. But to indict him as a no good lunatic after his years of service is criminal. You almost exclusively hear about when a cop does something wrong and almost never hear about when a cop does something well to keep the streets safe. Overwhelmingly, I think kids especially get this feeling that you have to "EARN MY RESPECT". That is one of the "entitlements" that drive me nuts. Respect your elders. Ring a bell?

Darla, I assume you are a cop. I agree that he snapped and it wasn't at all cool.
    Shawn
  • wingnut4772
    edited February 2008
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    The majority of police behave exactly as this guy does. I have seen them blatantly lie on the stand, and this guy deserves no forgiveness. He absolutely should be terminated immediately. If I had such an outburst where I work there is little doubt I would be fired.

The majority do not behave like this. If that is what you are observing then it really makes me wonder why.....hmmmm.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• wingnut4772
    edited February 2008
    Eye to eye Darla. We seem to be in the minority w/ this one though. BTW, where you been hidin'?

I agree.

Where have I been hiding? Just working a lot lately...beating up skateboarding punks!:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited February 2008
    It's so easy to judge from your chair in front of your computer, isn't it. Before the digital age with the internet and camera's everywhere, the kid would of went home whining to his mommy and nobody would of thought twice about something like this. Sometimes things don't change for the better.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2008
    Phasearray wrote:
    Are you saying my parents are bad and didn't raise me properly?

If they didn't teach you how to interact in a civil manner with other people and treat those in authority with respect...then yes.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited February 2008
    I think the kid wantin' to call Mommy is pretty telling. Most of my generation would have done anything to avoid our Mom knowing about this.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • treitz3
    edited February 2008
    It's not like I don't have respect for those that earn it. Please don't get me wrong. Those that are in uniform and those that have paid their dues, yes. Most certainly they have my respect. Always.

To a point.

That does not give them the right to do as they please. There are different levels of respect. There is that of respecting an officer, soldier, president, judge for what they do and for what they have done. That's one thing. To fully respect a person, one needs not to only respect the title of what they are or what they do, or even what they have done. They have to earn full respect and to do that, they have to earn my respect. Until then, they just have my respect for earning a position or a title, nothing more.

Perfect example. You are supposed to respect elders right? You are supposed to respect preachers right? Well, if your preacher, who was an elder was embezzling $$$ from the church and treating children the wrong way, would you respect him/her?

I didn't think so. Title or position and respect due. One thing. Earned respect? Different animal altogether.
  • Phasearray
    edited February 2008
    shack wrote: »
    If they didn't teach you how to interact in a civil manner with other people and treat those in authority with respect...then yes.

Im going to assume that if you had kid, you already sat them down prior to them turning 14 and told them the "this is how you react if a cop ever stops you" lecture.
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2008
    I think the kid wantin' to call Mommy is pretty telling. Most of my generation would have done anything to avoid our Mom knowing about this.

I used to keep my parents out of everything as well. But there was this one time when I had a run in with a cop, in an unmarked police car, that tailgated me all the way through town to the point where i couldnt see his headlights over my tailgate in a regular GMC truck. Proceeded to pull me over and said that i peeled out in the GRAVEL school parking lot. My mom heard about that the same day. I wish i had a video camera so i couldve taped him on my **** for 3/4 of a mile.

I've been pulled over about 7x in my life, 5 of the cops were respectful (even though 4 gave me tickets:() the other 2 were dicks. Funny thing is, the 2 dicks were the ones who didnt give me tickets. The first one was the one i mentioned above, the other one was when i pulled out onto a 2 lane road and there was a car coming in the outside lane, so i pulled out and go in the inside lane in front of a cop doing about 60 on a 45mph with no lights or sirens on. He pulled me over and told me i need to be a lot more careful when i pull out onto a road. He didnt ticket me either. At least, it seems like when they know they are in the wrong, they dont ticket you?...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Phasearray
    edited February 2008
    One may have a title as an officer, a judge, a president. That doesn't earn you jack **** in my book until you earn my respect. At that point, respect will be given.

I can't agree more
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
  • shawn474
    edited February 2008
    Cody,
    Quick question for ya pal. Ever wonder about credibility to speak on an issue when your post ends with a statement that cops don't ticket you when they know they are wrong although you have admittedly been pulled over 7 times!?!?!?;)

So treitz and Phase, if I understand you correctly, a cop cannot earn your respect until they save your life from an armed robber, a firefighter cannot earn your respect until he pulls you out of a burning building? You get my drift.
    Shawn
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2008
    Barring any possible past or future meritorious (maybe even heroic) service the officer should be immediately fired. No pension either. He's a national disgrace.

The boy and his family should be encouraged to sue the city, reap a large financial reward for his being traumatized, and use that money to send him to Advance Skateboarding School where he may someday bring honor back to this nation by being crowned World's Greatest Skateboarder.

Dennis Gardner isn't being nasty there Buck. Your transmissions are breaking up pretty bad.
  • treitz3
    edited February 2008
    shawn474 wrote: »
    So treitz and Phase, if I understand you correctly, a cop cannot earn your respect until they save your life from an armed robber, a firefighter cannot earn your respect until he pulls you out of a burning building? You get my drift.
    No sir. They have my respect and my support from the get go. They have earned it.

This is what I was saying about different levels of respect. The title and/or position deserves respect, no doubt. Beyond that, they have to earn my respect to achieve my full respect.
  • treitz3
    edited February 2008
    Barring any possible past or future meritorious (maybe even heroic) service the officer should be fired. He's a national disgrace.

The boy and his family should be encouraged to sue the city, reap a large financial reward for his being traumatized, and use that money to send him to Advance Skateboarding School where he may someday bring honor back to this nation by being crowned World's Greatest Skateboarder.

Dennis Gardner isn't being nasty there Buck. Your transmissions are breaking up pretty bad.
    Given today's American society? Your sarcasm just may come true. Unfuc$ingfortunately.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    The public expects law enforcement to act as robots.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche