Colts or Pats?

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    Part of it is the New England mentality. Boston sports fans, with the exception of the Celtics of yore, have an inferiority complex with a dour outlook on (sports) life....

But, I digress. I think that Bellichick is actually good for football in that he has taken some a$$clowns (Dillon, Merriweather, Moss etc) and turned them around. The message being is that if you are willing to be a team player, you can win. Personally, I'd prefer to see more of that type of thing and cut down on the number of circus freaks out there. I'd rather see X's and O's football be the focus as opposed to, say, T.O's BS.

Which minds me of another example, I wonder how many folks in Dallas thought that TO was a schmuck in Philly. but have changed thier tune now that he's contributing in Dallas?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Part of it is the New England mentality. Boston sports fans, with the exception of the Celtics of yore, have an inferiority complex with a dour outlook on (sports) life....

But, I digress. I think that Bellichick is actually good for football in that he has taken some a$$clowns (Dillon, Merriweather, Moss etc) and turned them around. The message being is that if you are willing to be a team player, you can win. Personally, I'd prefer to see more of that type of thing and cut down on the number of circus freaks out there. I'd rather see X's and O's football be the focus as opposed to, say, T.O's BS.

Which minds me of another example, I wonder how many folks in Dallas thought that TO was a schmuck in Philly. but have changed thier tune now that he's contributing in Dallas?

BDT

Troy, do you think that Mike Holmgren turned Andre Rison around when his troubled **** landed here in Green Bay? No, the man shut his mouth for a season to win a ring and then he was gone.

Belichick doesn't have the power to change Moss or anyone else. Assuming Moss isn't an idiot, he saw a great chance to get a ring in New England. It's the same reason Favre, who obviously wants one last hurrah while he's still playing great football, wanted Moss in Green Bay so badly. Belichick isn't a dumbass, just a jackass.

TO? Is Dallas losing? The character of any of these men will be tested when they're losing and doing so consistently. Are TO and Moss going to be the guys trying to rally the troops when they're starting a season 1-5 and trying to right the ship?

HELL NO!

All players get frustrated, but are they throwing helmets, directly blaming coaches, refs, and calling out individual teammates publically? It's one thing to say your offense is sucking, it's another to say "Our QB sucks, we can't win with him." That's the best Moss or TO have to offer when things aren't going well.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    I think most of the point has been lost: This game was largely irrelevant. Sure, when the Pats and Colts meet again in the AFC championship game it'll be at Foxborough, but both teams regardless of who won and who lost are going to get there. If there's anything to say about this game in terms of the teams playing it, it's this:

1. Colts put up the only serious threat thus far to the Patriots and I have no doubt that the playoffs are going to be a stressful time for both teams.

2. Dwight Freeney scares the crap out of me.

3. Both defenses shut each other's offense down. Addai, while a factor in the first half, was largely ineffective in the second. Maroney was essentially useless in the first half and distracted the Pats offense away from their real guns: their passing game.

4. Neither offensive line is immortal. Both QBs felt the pressure and performed poorly when people were in their face. That was a first for each team this season.

5. Randy Moss was the difference in this game. When Marvin Harrison is back, it should make everything that much closer.

6. Reminds me of Red Sox vs. Yankees games: Always a playoff like importance when they butt heads and definitely a fun game.

7. Trash talking keeps the adrenaline flowing. What players yell at other players on the field is what keeps it interesting. Honestly, if a few words burn you in professional football, you have no business being on the field.

8. Belichick is a ****, but he sure knows the meaning of teamwork. If I recall correctly, the Patriots have 19 different players scoring a touchdown on their team this year. Dungy is a top notch fellow and Peyton one of the best to ever grace the field, but their weakness might be their dependence on their two WRs. That said, when they're healthy, they can inflict some serious damage.

9. Good Game.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    But with that in mind --- Bellocheck is an ****.... and even though he's out to prove to the world he is one -- dosnt mean he should ignore coaches to shake their hand...

1194228099_3803.jpg
    20827.jpg
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    1194228099_3803.jpg
    20827.jpg

It was the way he did it. Dungy was trying to speak to the man and congratulate him and he just snubbed him.

Oh, and I'm a Dallas fan. I'm not originally from Indiana.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2007
    So what I am getting from a lot of the comments made by basically one person is that I have been a Pats fan since I can remember, but I should not root for the TEAM, because their coach is stuck up. I don't care what anyone says about the Pats. I have been to Foxboro when it is sleeting out, and the stands have been full. Pats have always had a good fan base. Even when they were losing the stadium was sold out. Just one more thing GO PATS!!!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ND13
    edited November 2007
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    I think that link was from your email or something.... no worky for me.
  • ND13
    edited November 2007
    I'll figure out how to link it.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,185
    edited November 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    While Bellichick may not win any Mr. Congeniality awards......I think he would be justified in telling the rest of the NFL coaches to kiss his **** at high noon in town square.

I say that for a couple of reasons. One, the whole spygate thing. You show me a coach that hasn't, at some point, flouted the rules to gain an advantage and I've got some beachfront property in AZ to sell you. Yet, the other NFL coaches were more than happy to, as a lot, throw stones from the porch of thier glass houses.

Two, bitching about the Pats running up the score. What a crock of ****. This ain't Pop Warner football. They are professionals. You don't want a team to embarrass you? Play better. When the Pats went 1-15 back in 90 or 91.....I don't remember anyone giving them a sympathy lay. When the Bears kicked the living **** out of them in the Superbowl back in the day, I don't recall anyone bitching about the Bears running up the score, only about what a dominant team they were (and rightfully so).

Lastly, I'm tired of people in the press and at large, virtually bowing down to suck Dungy's and Manning's wood. Yes, they won the Superbowl last year. Congrats, however, with the talent that they have had, they SHOULD have won about 4 more. When they were getting thier asses kicked by NE, the press would continually make excuses about this and that. To me, they are underachievers that are DAMN lucky that got the ring last year.

As a Boston sports fan, damn skippy, I'm loving life. That said, I remember the past few decades where, other than a few Celtics teams in the mid-80's...there was little to cheer about.

Yes, I think this season is Bellichick's way of giving the league the finger and I say, right the f**k on. I hope he scores 100 points against someone.

BDT

Go Brother Go.

Whoever complains of the score, if it was there team running it up, there wouldn't be any problem. No mercy, Mercy is for the weak.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited November 2007
    Snubbing Coach Dungy is just completely wrong. Coach Dungy is darn nice guy - almost a Saint!
  • rskarvan
    edited November 2007
    I'll say it again: Snubbing Coach Dungy is just completely wrong. Coach Dungy is darn nice guy - almost a Saint!
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Snubbing Coach Dungy is just completely wrong. Coach Dungy is darn nice guy - almost a Saint!

Hahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAH.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    mantis wrote: »
    Go Brother Go.

Whoever complains of the score, if it was there team running it up, there wouldn't be any problem. No mercy, Mercy is for the weak.

Dan
    Q: At 38-0 you went for it on 4th down, on 45-0 you went for it on 4th down. What was the philosophy there?

Belichick: What do you want us to do, kick a field goal?

Q: I didn’t want you to do anything. I’m just asking what the philosophy is.

Belichick: It’s 38-0. It’s fourth down. [We’re] just out there playing. [We’re] just out there playing.

His last answer, most of us just hear "I'm a huge ****, I'm a huge ****..."

Most intelligent organizations would put in almost all of the 2nd string bench warmers and rookies to get some NFL experience and save their starters from unecessary injury in a game that's wrapped up. It's not so much wrong as it is incredibly stupid, but I digress... ;)

Back to Belichick -- It's not one incident that defines Belicheck. It's dozens of similar incidents, not shaking hands, and just a general attitude of surliness that he has --that is why he is not liked and why it reflects on the team.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    Hahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAH.

So, umm, what do you know about him? If he's a dick he sure does a good job of hiding it. We got pictures, YouTube videos, and hundreds of articles about what a giant choad Belichick is.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2007
    I was rooting for the Colts! Everyone I know thought the Pats would kick the Colts arss. Just proves that when they meet in the off season, it can go any way and I hope the champs stuff em.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited November 2007
    Oh! I wanted to throw this in. My buds and I were talking about it. You know, there’s a lot of dirty players out there in football. One of these Pats game where they do another 50 point run up and leave their big boys in like that, some team is going to be really pissed about it and could start taking cheap shots at Brady or Moss to take their arss out. I'm guessing there’s a few linemen out there now waiting to get that late hit chance in on Brady to hammer his arss as hard as they can. It can happen and after things talked about here, it just raises that chance.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    The Patriots running up the score is classless and extremely ****'ish. Yeah I know "this is the big leagues" and all that but what would you think of a boxer that knocked his opponent out and then kicked him in the head a few times? Youd probably think that was pretty low.

When the Patriots are up 40-something to nothing in the 4th quarter and you STILL have all your first string starters in there, thats over the top.

I too get tired of hearing all the Patriots fans whine and moan about how mistreated they are. There is an old saying - if one person calls you an ****, ignore him. If 10 people call you an ****, buy yourself a saddle. Bill Bellyache goes out of his way to be an ****, they go out of their way to humiliate their opponents theyve been caught cheating and even when they win they still complain about how the world is out to get them. Seems to me there is a lot of good reasons to give them crap.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    So, umm, what do you know about him? If he's a dick he sure does a good job of hiding it. We got pictures, YouTube videos, and hundreds of articles about what a giant choad Belichick is.

He seems like a very nice man, and likeable at that (unless you're ****). Calling a random guy who coaches a football team a "saint" without a hint of irony is just so ridiculous as to be hilarious, that's all.

And we get it, Belichick is a tool. The point is conceded. I still maintain that his job isn't to be genial but to bring a sports team to victory, which he is good at. He does a weekly local Patriots show where he seems a little more genial than his national press persona, but I know that doesn't change anything.
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    The Patriots running up the score is classless and extremely ****'ish. Yeah I know "this is the big leagues" and all that but what would you think of a boxer that knocked his opponent out and then kicked him in the head a few times? Youd probably think that was pretty low.

That's definitely the same thing. Punching a passed out person and risking their life compared with throwing a ball to score more points.

I didn't see you jumping out of your panties a few years ago when Peyton was running after all of his records, other teams dignity and feelings be damned.

And for the record, saying "the officiating was horrible' isn't the same as moaning about how mistreating the Patriots are. THe officiating was horrible. It's a fact. I watch a lot of football, that was one of the worst games I've ever seen, and all of the poor calls I noticed (through a fans eyes, which I've admitted) were against the Patriots. I didn't realize winning meant I couldn't bring this up without getting called a whiner and everything else. Jesus Christ.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    Because Manning wasnt purposely trying to embarrass other teams.

And yeah it is the same thing - when youve got your opponent beat and you continue to stomp him for no other reason than for humiliation, thats classless. This is a SPORTING even, not a combat event. Theyre not fighting to the death.

Now if the Patriots had their 2nd string guys in there and they were still scoring, I wouldnt have a thing to say about it - but having their top guys in there when the game has been won several times over aint right.

Now dont get me wrong, Im a fan of the Patriots. I enjoy the hell out of watching Brady and Moss play. Its damn near artwork. But I still think they ask for all the crap they get from people.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited November 2007
    That's definitely the same thing. Punching a passed out person and risking their life compared with throwing a ball to score more points.

I didn't see you jumping out of your panties a few years ago when Peyton was running after all of his records, other teams dignity and feelings be damned.

And for the record, saying "the officiating was horrible' isn't the same as moaning about how mistreating the Patriots are. THe officiating was horrible. It's a fact. I watch a lot of football, that was one of the worst games I've ever seen, and all of the poor calls I noticed (through a fans eyes, which I've admitted) were against the Patriots. I didn't realize winning meant I couldn't bring this up without getting called a whiner and everything else. Jesus Christ.

Bah, that officiating wasnt bad, now the Seahawks being robbed of the super bowl by ref's (and probably the NFL) was a travesty :):):)
    That was “bad” officiating.. or paid at least.. wouldn’t want a small town winning :):):)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    There seems to be only one coach in the NFL who has any bad feelings toward Dungy or thinks less than favorably of him. I think that speaks volumes...not only for Dungy...but for his detractor.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    He seems like a very nice man, and likeable at that (unless you're ****). Calling a random guy who coaches a football team a "saint" without a hint of irony is just so ridiculous as to be hilarious, that's all.

You sure seem to be stretching to bring Dungy down to the same level as Belichick for something that apparently doesn't matter. :confused:
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    I was not at all being sarcastic, he seems like a very nice person and is universally liked (though Sainthood is still funny). Belichick is standoffish and not liked. I get it. WHy do you keep bringing it up? Don't you have enough other stuff to pile on us New England fans about without beating a dead horse that I already conceded? C'mon! We run up the score! We complain about everything! We all have bad hygeine!
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2007
    Y'all are ugly too.

:D

• rskarvan
    edited November 2007
    Supporting evidence!
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited November 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Now if the Patriots had their 2nd string guys in there and they were still scoring, I wouldnt have a thing to say about it -

They Pats put in Cassell at QB, and he made the mistake of running it in against the first string Wash defensive line for another 7 points. Wash was a top ranked defense. Who knew?

I've never seen a team that is this successful be this humble. They are a team in every sense of the word, and they were the first to refuse to be announced by name, but as a group at the Bowl. I can read the paper without EVER seeing a team member shooting his mouth off, or misbehaving, because like showboating, it's kept at a bare minimum. "BB", as you can see, just does his job. He does it well. He also doesn't care if some media boob takes offense at being ignored after asking some inane question. Parcells was far worse. If you are good at what you do, you need approval from nobody. The rest is garbage. Case in point, Indys 30-something comeback in the second half to finally put a ring on Dingy. It not over till it's over.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    If Dungy is such a 'saint' why was it neccessary for him to make any sort of comment about the filiming incident. It had nothing to do with him and he wasn't involved....had he said that, no problem. However, he commented about it being a sad commentary on the Pats etc etc. If you piss on me in public, you really shouldn't have any expectation of my being gracious to you. Given the chance, I'd kick you in the shin.

Whatever, Demi, all I'm saying is that you don't see Moss running his pie hole like he did in Oakland OR Minnesota while he was winning. TO, winning, is still a disruptive influence. Lest you forget, NE has had a couple of rough seasons under Bellichick and you STILL see the players toe the company line. So your argument doesn't wash.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited November 2007
    Troy, I think that comment by Dungy has been taken out of context by alot of people. Tony has since clarified that comment on numerous occasions and I for one buy his explanation.

I know people will try to backpeddle their way out of comments and cover their **** all the time, and if Dungy had a history of behavior and comments like this, I wouldn't buy his explanation, but I think he gets a pass.

But even if he never came back and explained himself, I mean you have someone who's obviously passionate about integrity and that may just be his natural instinctive answer to that situation - it's not like he hounded and harped on it multiple times - maybe he had a momentary lapse of concentration and let his true feelings slip out - I think everyone gets a couple of those as well over the course of their career...

Sainthood? Okay taken literally that's a bit over the top. But if we're going to have the "Is Tony a good guy" conversation (which, why would we anyway, who cares), you don't really have much of a case if you're in the 'No' camp.