Colts or Pats?

Comments

• Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I think the colts had them the first half no questions asked mainly because they were able to run it as well as they were. I thought it strange that the Pats ran the ball as much as they did in the first half since obviously their strength is in their passing game. And it clearly didn't work.

I also thought the refs played a little too tight and some of their calls were a bit questionable, mainly the second PI call and then the offensive PI against Moss.

But yeah, a good testament to both teams defenses. Wow.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited November 2007
    I thought that offensive PI call against Moss was atrocious and was actually glad that the Pats still made that TD.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited November 2007
    Wow. Everyone can bash the Pats for cheating as much as they want, but someone paid those officials off. There is no doubt in my mind that they were told, either by someone with money, or by league officials, to throw that game in the Colts favor. I'm not joking. Two pass interference calls against the Pats that not only weren't on the Pats, but should have actually been called ON THE COLTS. How do you eff that up? Phantom calls, **** calls, it wasn't even subtle. These weren't QUESTIONABLE. They were outright wrong.

The Pats played about 3/4 of that game TERRIBLY, don't get me wrong, and the Colts running game and pass rush were PHENOMENAL. Honestly, I'm surprised the Colts weren't annihilating the Pats more than they did, even without the bullcrap officiating. The way it was, though, I think it's a miracle the Pats pulled out a win.

I'm going to go vomit now.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited November 2007
    I think a good example of that was when one of the Colts receivers colt the ball out of bounds...

Clearly his foot was on that line

And TWO officials still called it a catch...

Just a number of many weird, WTF calls...

BUT, decent game, not near as good as some others Ive seen...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited November 2007
    The PI call on Hobbs was insane, he played that ball through and through.

The there was the hook on watson(i think) arm that didn't get a PI call.

Two PI calls for 77 yards.....sickening. I was shocked when we got the force out call for Moss, i was waiting for them to rule him out of bounds and incomplete pass by the way the game was going.

But hey, they still pulled it off.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2007
    If there is this much whining and crying when the Pats win...imagine how bad it would have been if they had lost. :rolleyes:
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2007
    shack wrote: »
    If there is this much whining and crying when the Pats win...imagine how bad it would have been if they had lost. :rolleyes:

I like a fair game, regardless of who wins. I can promise you I would be making the same statements had the calls been going against the colts.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    Hey, I'll be the first to admit, it's tough to know how I'd feel if I didn't have a rooting interest in the game, but I wen tthrough years of the Pats losing and didn't **** about the bad calls every time, I bitched about their terrible playing like any good fan. That was just a terrible officiating job, and it seemed VERY much to be in favor of the Colts.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited November 2007
    I do seem to remember the calls (or lack thereof) a few years ago going the other way when the Patriots were pushing the Colts' receivers all around the field. Oh yeah, and how about that call in the Pats vs Raiders game a few years back, also in favor of the Pats - funny the commentators still talks about that one...

Both of those are calls taht went in favor of the Pats, both of which resulted in Super Bwol appearances.

I'm not saying that excuses the calls today, but you can't say the ball hasn't bounced in your favor a few times....
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2007
    There were bad calls on both sides. Moss got away with a push off in the end zone that shouldve been called for PI. It was the usual officiating we see in games - not that great.

The Patriots won, quit whining.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I do seem to remember the calls (or lack thereof) a few years ago going the other way when the Patriots were pushing the Colts' receivers all around the field. Oh yeah, and how about that call in the Pats vs Raiders game a few years back, also in favor of the Pats - funny the commentators still talks about that one...

Both of those are calls taht went in favor of the Pats, both of which resulted in Super Bwol appearances.

I'm not saying that excuses the calls today, but you can't say the ball hasn't bounced in your favor a few times....

The call against the Raiders in the "snow bowl" wasn't a bad call. It's a bad rule, but a correct call. Ask anyone who knows what they're talking about and they'll tell you the same thing. The rule still exists today, and it's still a stupid rule, but it's there nonetheless.

That being said, I never claimed we haven't been VERY VERY lucky in the past, I'm just saying that this ONE GAME was very poorly officiated, and 90%+ of the bad calls went against the Patriots. Considering the significance of the game, it's extremely suspicious, and considering there were some 50+ yard penalties that brought Indy all the way down field for no reason, they almost cost New England the game. Hate the Pats or not, officials shouldn't almost cost a team a game.

As for "quitting whining", I don't mean to "whine", but I think I"m in the majority in thinking what I said. Just reading news and blog posts around the web since the game I'd say the poor officiating is the predominant subplot from the game, and the consensus is certainly that it was more against the Pats. I wish I could see it through more impartial eyes, but.. can't.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,673
    edited November 2007
    The Pat's right tackle .... can't remember his name ..... #77 was having his lunch handed to him in the first couple of quarters.

"Swim moves", "spins" ....... geeez, it's like he was at a junior high football camp just learning to defend against those moves.

Play calling by the Pat's left something to be desired.

Other than that ..... picked the Pats in the Pool, they beat the spread, so life is good.

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited November 2007
    Goddamn, you win, but still **** about the damn officiating? :rolleyes:

For the record, I think this is a big reason why a lot of the country can't stand that team. They're just as miserable winners as they are losers.

ENJOY IT! It's won't be around forever.
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    C'mon man, I'm not rubbing it in that my team won, I'm just questioning the integrity of the game. Granted more passionately than I would about a team I didn't care about, but... it's a problem, win or lose.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited November 2007
    While I'll admit that he's a brilliant strategist, what Bellichick(sp?) did at the end of the game....snubbing Dungy, was classless, pure and simple.

Manning lost that game. Once again, he shows he can't play out of the pocket or with the least bit of pressure put on him.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2007
    While Bellichick may not win any Mr. Congeniality awards......I think he would be justified in telling the rest of the NFL coaches to kiss his **** at high noon in town square.

I say that for a couple of reasons. One, the whole spygate thing. You show me a coach that hasn't, at some point, flouted the rules to gain an advantage and I've got some beachfront property in AZ to sell you. Yet, the other NFL coaches were more than happy to, as a lot, throw stones from the porch of thier glass houses.

Two, bitching about the Pats running up the score. What a crock of ****. This ain't Pop Warner football. They are professionals. You don't want a team to embarrass you? Play better. When the Pats went 1-15 back in 90 or 91.....I don't remember anyone giving them a sympathy lay. When the Bears kicked the living **** out of them in the Superbowl back in the day, I don't recall anyone bitching about the Bears running up the score, only about what a dominant team they were (and rightfully so).

Lastly, I'm tired of people in the press and at large, virtually bowing down to suck Dungy's and Manning's wood. Yes, they won the Superbowl last year. Congrats, however, with the talent that they have had, they SHOULD have won about 4 more. When they were getting thier asses kicked by NE, the press would continually make excuses about this and that. To me, they are underachievers that are DAMN lucky that got the ring last year.

As a Boston sports fan, damn skippy, I'm loving life. That said, I remember the past few decades where, other than a few Celtics teams in the mid-80's...there was little to cheer about.

Yes, I think this season is Bellichick's way of giving the league the finger and I say, right the f**k on. I hope he scores 100 points against someone.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shack
    edited November 2007
    It's now official...Boston fans are the most MISERABLE winners in the world. It's not good enough to just win....now you have to complain about everybody else and EVERTHING including what happened years ago.

Shout "WE KICKED YOUR ****!" or "WE ARE THE BEST!"...not..."We won...BUT...poor us...because...".

No wonder fans were committing suicide and killing their dogs when Buckner made that error.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • TroyD
    edited November 2007
    I'm not a miserable winner and I'm not saying 'poor us', I'm as happy as a puppy with two peters.

I AM saying that people are free to think/write what they wish about Bellichick, which they are. I am also saying that Bill has every right, in my book, to shove it up everyone's a$$ with a candle on the end.

For example, last year when NE beat the Chargers. Much was made of a few of the Pats mocking whatshisnames dance after the game. Fine, but was that dance not in itself disrespectful?

All I'm saying is over the years, people have taken thier shots at the Pats and it's enjoyable to watch Bellichick give the world the finger.

BDT
  • shack
    edited November 2007
    TroyD wrote:
    All I'm saying is over the years, people have taken thier shots at the Pats and it's enjoyable to watch Bellichick give the world the finger.

EVERY franchise in every city gets ragged on at one time or the other. NE isn't any different. It isn't NE vs the "world". Believe it or not, NE hasn't taken anymore heat than anyone else who wins.

Enjoy your win. It was well deserved.

• TroyD
    edited November 2007
    This is where I disagree, and peacefully so, again, the whole spygate thing. It's a crock. Everyone knows it. The stupid part, is why do it because in and of itself, it really doesn't mean a lot. Yet, the consensus was, Bellichick is a cheater.

Yes, NE has been blowing teams out. Why even MENTION the morality of running up the score in a professional league? Again, when the Bears owned the league in 85, it wasn't a case of they were piling it on. It was 'they are dominant'. You may not agree that the press, as a rule isn't any more vicious against NE but I disagree and I think it's been particularly harsh.

Just look on MSN, there is a story about good (Dungy with halo) vs. evil (Bill with devil horns).....again, fine. Name another coach that has been maligned in such a way. Ridicule of he is bad or whatever...but to say that he is 'evil'?

BDT
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    Bellichick giving the world the finger? What does he have to prove? Win a few rings? I think he's done that, and still the guy has always been a classless dickhead. There's nothing likable about him, but he wins. Oh yes, he wins, and wins big. That's the only reason you put up with him. If this was a .500 coach he'd be ridden out on rail.

That's beside the point, Pats fans whining about calls and the world crapping down their back while going 9-0 is just effin' laughable. You guys have a great team, but the great conspiracy against them that you've all conjured up seems to be tainting your ability enjoy it.

I thought I'd see boasting that would make me want to roll my eyes because I was annoyed about being wrong about this game. Instead I see sniveling whiners who can't even accept a hard fought win.

Sorry the Colts didn't roll over and let you score 6 touchdowns. :rolleyes:
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    Unfortunately the Colts crowd noise Cd skipped a bit. :D

I'm done whining, yay Pats.

Also, Belichick is totally a dick, but... who cares? Since when has coach's personality been a determining factor in ANYTHING? Aside from a few who get attention for either being really nice (Dungy), really mean (Belichick), or really stupid (Herm Edwards), you never hear anyone talk about the coach's PERSONALITY. People just want a reason to hate the guy who wins, so they go after him personally, and it's kind of pathetic.
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Also, Belichick is totally a dick, but... who cares? Since when has coach's personality been a determining factor in ANYTHING? Aside from a few who get attention for either being really nice (Dungy), really mean (Belichick), or really stupid (Herm Edwards), you never hear anyone talk about the coach's PERSONALITY. People just want a reason to hate the guy who wins, so they go after him personally, and it's kind of pathetic.

Pathetic? I am not from Indy. I am not a Vols fan, either. Yet, I find myself cheering for Peyton Manning and his team. He's really one the main reasons I enjoy and can cheer that team on. Tony Dungy being a class act, and the way he coaches his team makes me even more of a fan. I respect their brand of football in a league filled with so many 'me me me' asshats. That said, Indy isn't my team, but I still respect the hell out of them. I would never get tired of Indy winning Super Bowls and Peyton manning hoisting the Lombardi trophy in the air.

Since the Patriots don't offer football fans in general ANY of this is precisely why they aren't getting all the respect you think they deserve from the wins.

Belichick being an **** sets the tone for the rest of the team. He's a great coach, no doubt about it. There are plenty of great coaches, even ones who were a-holes on the sidelines, however they showed respect for the game at all times and had respect for their opponents. If you think Belichick being a total d-bag doesn't taint the Patriots image when people watch him speak or ignore coaches and players after wins and losses as if they don't exist then I think your fandom is clearly clouding what the rest of us impartial fans of the game see.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited November 2007
    I'm not a Patriot fan by any stretch of the margin ---

They have just been exciting to watch this year by far...

I like the Colts as much as I like the Patriots --- both Manning and Brady are amazing to watch

But it seemed like the entire games, there were constant calls against the patriots that made absolutely no sense...

But with that in mind --- Bellocheck is an ****.... and even though he's out to prove to the world he is one -- dosnt mean he should ignore coaches to shake their hand...

Dungy played a GREAT game, and it seemed like until those last 8-10 minutes of the game, the Colts had this one wrapped up...

They played harder, messed up less -- the Colts just seemed superior...

But everything kind of fell apart in the 4th for some reason, but none the less was a GREAT game -- and the Patriots finally pulled it together to pull off a win....

But it could of gone either way...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited November 2007
    Harrison out and both safeties hurting could have been part of the collapse. I liked watching the Pats until the 52-7 WAS game. That was classless and dumb of the Patriots. I can just see them trying that against a team with a cheap shot dirt bag and all of a sudden Brady and/or Moss is gone for the season for trying to run up the score. It's not smart.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • TroyD
    edited November 2007
    So, exactly why is Bellichick an a-hole?

This is what I don't get? I think a lot of it goes back to when he jumped ship to the Jets. You know what? Eff the Jets. They did the same thing to the Pats with Parcells. So what. That's football.

So, other than that, what....he doesn't say much to the press? I've not seen him rip anyone publicly. Nor have I seen him say anything remotely disrespectful about anyone or any team. With the whole filming incident, did he whine or cry? No, he issued his apology, paid his fine and pressed on. Sure, he doesn't say much to the press, so is that a reason for them to turn on him?

Has he been running up the score? Ok, what of it? Again, this ain't Pop Warner football.

Again, I don't see what's so horrible about him. So he's not warm and fuzzy. Get over it.
  • bobman1235
    edited November 2007
    I agree with Troy about running up the score, btw - it's a professional league, these aren't kids.

I actually heard a good point from an ex-player the other day about it too - it's a great intimidation factor. You beat all your teams by 40 points, suddenly teams are a little more afraid of you. So much of sports is mental, every bit of intimidation helps. So tactics-wise it's an interesting way to go.

As for the Colts being some bastion of class and Godliness, gimme a break. For YEARS they had the best offense in the league, and didn't win Super Bowls, and complained about every last thing and got rules changed to suit their team. All of this pass interference crackdown is a direct result of the Colts complaining that their high-powered offense was getting too roughed up. So let's back off a tiny bit on the Colts being the Angels to the Pats Demons.

Oh, and I fully admit to Belichick having the personality of a stump, but I don't know how you can pass that on to the rest of the team. You never hear any of the Pats players say anything bad about other teams, they always give other teams credit, etc. You can hate Brady but he is always self-effacing in his press conferences and has nothing but respect for the rest of the league. So the coach doesn't necessarily pass down his attitude to his team.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2007
    In regards to the Redskins.....I have to wonder how much of that had to do with Gibbs running his mouth in the press about how the Pats hadn't played against HIS defense. Which, fine, if you want to make those sort of statements, go right ahead. However, when it gets shove up your zorch sideways...and then whine about it as Gibbs did? Tough rocks.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited November 2007
    As far as the 'me me me' thing, Demi.....that's pretty far off the mark for the Pats. The Patriots win, largely because they have used people in a scheme that emphasizes using teamwork and a team oriented mentality to win. Along the way, using more than a few folks, Corey Dillon and Moss as a couple of notable examples written off as selfish malcontents.

Again, I don't see a lot of the Pats generating alot of the BS in the press. Near as I see it, they don't say much. They just go out, play thier game and along the way, kick thier asses up and down the field. Isn't that the point of the game?

BDT
  • Demiurge
    edited November 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    As far as the 'me me me' thing, Demi.....that's pretty far off the mark for the Pats. The Patriots win, largely because they have used people in a scheme that emphasizes using teamwork and a team oriented mentality to win. Along the way, using more than a few folks, Corey Dillon and Moss as a couple of notable examples written off as selfish malcontents.

Again, I don't see a lot of the Pats generating alot of the BS in the press. Near as I see it, they don't say much. They just go out, play thier game and along the way, kick thier asses up and down the field. Isn't that the point of the game?

BDT

The Patriots aren't that way, not that I said they were. I can see how it looks like I was implying that.

I think in every post here I more than recognized that the Patriots are a very talented football team with a very good coach. I think the coaching is the key to that entire team. Moss is a standout, and the fact he's keeping his mouth shut is only a bonus for the team. I am curious to see if he'd be the same old malcontent if they were losing, but I suspect we'll never see the day if they win a Super Bowl this year. He'll likely be cut if they win it all, which would be another brilliant coaching move by Belichick.

What does all of this boil down to? For me, I don't find much likable about the Patriots. Most of it has to do with Belichick -- and we went through all the reasons why last year before and after the AFC championship game. Posted a few YouTube vids of his douchebaggery in action.

So yeah, me? I want to watch good people win, people I can cheer for and geniunely feel good for. I can't get behind the Patriots whatsoever. They're a boring as hell Xs and Os team that's as exciting as watching underwater basket weaving.

That said, they're your team and they're winning. You should be happy. So why are we sitting here arguing about why some of us can't stand the Patriots? Well, because when they won we had a bunch of Pats fans start whining that they didn't win by as much as they should have because of bad officiating. Then you wonder why so many people hate the Patriots and their miserable fans? :confused:

You guys can make this Pats vs. World if you want. Was is Indy vs. World last year? Not that I remember....