WTF is going on with society today?

1235»

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited May 2007
    I agree with bagged as being acceptable, its kinda a deal you work with your kid as a motovational tool , its just really hard for them when all there friends get the new bmr or yukons and they didnt do anything........ its just today it more frequent than ever, My child will never drive a nicer car than I unless HE buys it or builds it .........

I agree, I struggle to keep up with some of my friends spending habits when we choose where to go for the night. Expensive places are always on the top of their lists and it's hard to convince them otherwise. Probably why I limited myself to going out with them no more than 2 times a month to places like that.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited May 2007
    OK that mighta been a little off topic with my morality statement , have a hard time beliving its sooo much better than it used to be , technology wise sure it is .......definetely ...

I live smack dab in whats considerd to be the bible belt Okalahoma , and Ive lived here since i was 5 now 38 and there are churches like banks branches anymore.
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited May 2007
    Man, this thread sure took a left turn.I think the original post was about kids today who get handed everything they want and how that will affect them later in life.And for the most part...true.Salem Witches,churches..haha,you guys can sure take things to the extreme.Bottom line is,keeping up with the Jones is alive and well in america,always has,always will be.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Where do you get your Moralitymeter? Has it been calibrated? To what moral standard is it compared to? Again, I think the "Salem Witches" would find things much more pleasant/moral today than before.

Sorry there brother, you keep brining up the "Salem Witch" trials and that is a rediculous premise to keep throwing in here. Sure you can bring up all the bad crap from history. . . more people are being killed today than any other time in history. It is a steady stream of killing and violence. Living in this greatest Country on God's green earth is a blessing and just because we are not in the middle of where the killing is doesn't mean that humanity as a whole is better like you keep trying to state.

Again you keep comparing apples to oranges.

I have to agree with you about more churches vs. higher morality.

I still have to ask the question, where did the information come from that there are more churches?
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    And, since when does the number of churches have ANYTHING to do with the morality of a society? There are no shortage of churches in Europe... yet, the protestants and the Catholics of Ireland can't seem to just "love one another".

You are still living in the past with that statement also. It is no where near as bad as it was 30 years ago in Ireland with the IRA, Catholics, and Protestants. That still doesn't have anything to do with the topic of this thread.
  • Deadof_knight
    edited May 2007
    Oh ..............................I gotta stop and go to work ,discussion is getting deep it wont be long before somenody gets flamed here ............

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    Just today... I spied a boy scout helping an old lady across the street. Does that count?
  • Deadof_knight
    edited May 2007
    It was more of an observation by myself so pin me to the wall but its just something, history that you see going on around us .........

• BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Just today... I spied a boy scout helping an old lady across the street. Does that count?

I'm not going to ask why you were spying a boy scout...... :rolleyes:
  • Deadof_knight
    edited May 2007
    you werent watching tv were you ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nah thats good to hear to bad that bad things always make the news more than the good things.......

• MGPK
    MGPK Posts: 88
    edited May 2007
    Hi there, anyways, hello from Alberta, Canada. I would like to say that this is a great thread and it reflects my opinion of society and the younger generation as well. I've been in retail sales and management for over 20 years and I have to tell you, that as every year goes on and I see new hires starting up in the business I can't describe the disgust I feel when I see their work ethic.

These kids when they get hired have absolutely no motivation to learn for themselves how to succeed in business and sales. They go through their two weeks of training and then they expect to be no. 1 in sales without any further self education. When confronted with a problem, they have no idea how to think for themselves to find a solution, they need to have everything spoonfed to them. Same with product knowledge. They get frustrated and quit because they're not willing to put some time in to feed their brain and put the knowledge to practicality, it always has to be supplied in the simplest form so their minds can actually process some data. Now, I'm not saying all are this bad, but it is a large majority. It is about values and principles and having the fortitude to live by them. Great thread.
    System:

H/K AVR430 Receiver
    Samsung DVDHD841 Dvd player
    Yamaha CDC506 5 Disc changer
    Jamo E855 Tower speakers
    Wharfdale Pacific P-10 Bookshelf speakers
    Acoustic Research Master Series Interconnects
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Back on topic to the thread I'd like to take the time to mention this very materialistic couple that I am friends with. Neither of them work or have anything of their own, all supplied by their parents. It is absolutely hilarious when they go out with us and use their credit cards to pay for the other persons stuff, whether it be food or movie tickets. It is essentially the parents paying each other so their children can have a good time. Kind of hard to justify calling that a relationship because both parties like each other. It turns into a competition of who can buy more for each other everytime.
  • Deadof_knight
    edited May 2007
    well were on topic once again ...........Bagged look what you started !

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    I'm sensing that BaggedLancer is wee bit jealous of "the materialistic couple". He'll, of course, deny it though.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    I'm sensing that BaggedLancer is wee bit jealous of "the materialistic couple". He'll, of course, deny it though.

I'm sure they have no, character, a clue, or a soul therefore BL couldn't possibly be jealous.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007

The only part I am jealous about is the fact they can actually have the time to spend together because they do absolutely nothing otherwise. If I wasn't busy paving my own road I'd be able to have time to do things like that.

If you wanna compare material assets to assets, which is probably what you think I'm jealous of, I win hands down and they are actually jealous of me cause their parents won't buy them what I have.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited May 2007
    Back on topic to the thread I'd like to take the time to mention this very materialistic couple that I am friends with. Neither of them work or have anything of their own, all supplied by their parents.

Bagged, I'm 22 years older than you are, and trust me, there were many young people like this back when I was your age as well.

Maybe you need to find a better class of friends?
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    Is it possible to raise a child properly, teach them hard work, respect, honesty, and other core values, and still be able to buy said child a pony, new BMW, designer clothes and jewelry?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Is it possible to raise a child properly, teach them hard work, respect, honesty, and other core values, and still be able to buy said child a pony, new BMW, designer clothes and jewelry?

Sure, but when they dont work hard, have no respect, honesty, and other core values, then it's not OK and said items should be cut off from further purchases.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Sure, but when they dont work hard, have no respect, honesty, and other core values, then it's not OK and said items should be cut off from further purchases.

Does it really matter though? Is stopping the spending going to in any way make up for the other areas in which the parents have failed them?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Does it really matter though? Is stopping the spending going to in any way make up for the other areas in which the parents have failed them?

i guess i dont know then.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007

If I could have done that with my older son I would have done it in a heartbeat because he did right by hisself and made me proud.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    If I could have done that with my older son I would have done it in a heartbeat because he did right by hisself and made me proud.

Fair enough.

Back to a different subject. From my small and narrow view of what goes on around me, rudeness and lack of manners is prevalent in all generations. And when it comes to attitudes of entitlement and ungratefulness, the generation that I see it the most in is that of my parents'. That being said, its prevalent across the age spectrum. In general, I think that everyone should be more polite and appreciative of their situation and conduct themselves more respectfully in public.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Fair enough.

Back to a different subject. From my small and narrow view of what goes on around me, rudeness and lack of manners is prevalent in all generations. And when it comes to attitudes of entitlement and ungratefulness, the generation that I see it the most in is that of my parents'. That being said, its prevalent across the age spectrum. In general, I think that everyone should be more polite and appreciative of their situation and conduct themselves more respectfully in public.

That may very well be the case in your neck of the woods. Where I just moved from South Philadelphia, the 25 and younger crowd is as disrespectful and entitled to everything as it can be. However, I do blame their parents though because they have pretty much the same attitude and they are my age or a little younger. So when we look this over, the big picture, the is no doubt that most kids are a product of their parents. Some are good despite their parents upbringing and some are horrible brats, despite their parents upbrings. It just seems more in the open today about how this new generation is coming up. Maybe because this is the age of worldwide information.

BL is a good kid and I think it is a combination of his upbringing and his nature.

Speaking of that, I knew a kid whose parents were good friends with mine and taught this kid good morals, respect for others, and a good work ethic. This guy was just a bad dude. He was always in trouble with the law, a bully, and a thief at heart. So ya never know.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007

BL is a good kid and I think it is a combination of his upbringing and his nature.

Aww shucks....Thanks PolkAudio Parent #2
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Aww shucks....Thanks PolkAudio Parent #2

I think I'm gonna puke!!!!:D :p
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    I think I'm gonna puke!!!!:D :p

Yea i threw up in my mouth a bit at the thought of that as well.