WTF is going on with society today?

Comments

• tom t
    tom t Posts: 543
    edited May 2007
    steveinaz hit it right on the mark!! the me me me generation. its all going to come crumbling down some day, and we are all going to have to pay for it all. im pissed!!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    We all worked hard for our kids to have a
    better life than we had. Now that we're there, we **** because our kids enjoy it?

Well. no one here doesn't want their kids to have a good life.. a fun one, but on the same token.. those kids/adults aren't being held accountable for anything these days. They float through life and expect to be handed everything.

Whatever happen to being a responsible adult when you turned 18? Sure there will always be those f*ck ups that never learn.. but more and more I'm coming into contact with adults that are either still in school at 30 yrs old, or live at home with their parents and don't have any responsibilities at all.

I'm with you sucks... i work next door to a high school. and about 75% of them all have nicer newer cars than i do. :eek: :mad: :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    its funny, kids today have 100 times more then what we had, computers,video games,and so on. but our gereration seems to be happer. its like having everything is not enough.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    danger boy wrote: »

I'm with you sucks... i work next door to a high school. and about 75% of them all have nicer newer cars than i do. :eek: :mad: :p

No perving out, I hope? The dress code leaves a little bit to be desired.:eek:

All generations make their mistakes. Mine should have dealt with the energy problem after the 70's shortages. Instead, we drive bigger vehicles now than ever. And that's with smaller families(who has 5 kids nowadays?).
    I know they have access to information on a level that was unheard of
    a few years ago. Maybe they will yet pull it together and make things work.
    There are groups that take the "old way is better" approach to extremes.
    See the extremists in the Middle East to know how far it can go.
    Most kids now question old ideas. This could be a good thing or bad.
    I try to challenge my kids to do things better. That's about all I can do.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • danger boy
    edited May 2007
    tom t wrote: »
    its funny, kids today have 100 times more then what we had, computers,video games,and so on. but our gereration seems to be happer. its like having everything is not enough.

agreed. today's young adults need decent stereo gear.... not this use it for a year and toss it out crap.

I guess that's why I am attracted to older stereo gear from the 70's.. it's still around and working and looking and sounding good.. I'd like to see a IPod 30+ yrs from now still in working condition after hours upon hours of use. It ain't gonna happen. :D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Again, the premise to this entire thread is absolutely incorrect. These are wonderful days and things are absolutely as they were intended to be. Its a fabulous thing that people don't even have to grow up until the age of 30. It used to be (in the 1800's) that people couldn't even finish High School because of obligations for survival.

STOP BEING SO DARN NEGATIVE!!!

You have got to be kidding, right?
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    Well, I guess that post just about firms things up.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    as friends, you help each other out.

If my son were asking me the questions BL is asking I would say;

It is not a friends responsibility to do what said friend's parents should have been teaching them all along.

My advise, find new friends because when their parents cut them off or they finally have to **** for themselves, they will look to you to support them.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited May 2007
    My advise, find new friends because when their parents cut them off or they finally have to **** for themselves, they will look to you to support them.

It has already started unfortunately. They always want me to drive because I drive the nicest car out of all of them for now and in my opinion they feel that driving around in a nice car improves their image. Finally last night I said no more because I've been spending $45 twice a week on gas for work and leisure and I know that they don't spent $1 a week on gas. I am definately not the person to ask for gas money but enough is enough for a while.

When we go out to dinner one of them always gets his part of the bill put on his credit card(not really his) and then lets us pay the rest cause he never has cash.

All my friends parents are all in their 50s so I know they had to have grown up in a time earning their own stuff, wtf happened between then and when they had their kids?

I'm glad I posted this cause it's gotten quite a few interesting replies.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Just a side bar here. . . this is how effed up this generation coming up is; a late 20s to early 30s young woman (loosely using that term) hits me with a car and blames me for her eff up, and accuses me of all kinds of low life things!

Just and example of how,
    "These are wonderful days and things are absolutely as they were intended to be. Its a fabulous thing that people don't even have to grow up until the age of 30. It used to be (in the 1800's) that people couldn't even finish High School because of obligations for survival."
    quote == >rskarvan

Had this woman been brought up like a decent human being, she would have been concerned for my well being instead of the, me me me me generation crap she is now exhibiting. Her mind and thinking has been absolutely corrupted beyond repair.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007

That is because free stuff is worth NOTHING!!! When you earn things they have more value, a person has more self value because they do the earning.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    Hmmm... 1972.... Vietnam War, LSD, Watergate, Kennedy Shot, etc.

Yep.... things are better than before.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    I don't understand why there is so much anger and disspointment shown towards the children. Its the parents raising them, developing and guiding their values and purchasing all the fun things for their children.

What child would turn down an iPod? Are they going to sit there, think it over for a few days and decide whether or not they really deserve it? Its ulitmately up to the parents.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007

Hmmm....2007.....Afganistan, 9/11, Iraq, Terrorism, OxyContin, School Shootings, Anthrax etc.

You proved nothing. The world's still F'd up. Sorry play again.

Edit: Added a few more.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    OxyContin

Oxycontin? You mean the drug abuse? Or the sales reps and their false claims? Or the viable option for around the clock pain control?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Oxycontin? You mean the drug abuse? Or the sales reps and their false claims? Or the viable option for around the clock pain control?

Drug Abuse.....atleast around here anyway.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    Drug abuse isn't anything new. Anyways, I think one could go back year by year and make pretty comparable lists of current problems from that specific time.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Drug abuse isn't anything new. Anyways, I think one could go back year by year and make pretty comparable lists of current problems from that specific time.

Exactly my point, unless I took rskarvan's post wrong, things aren't better than before. If anything, they are worse....significantly worse.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2007
    If anything, they are worse....significantly worse.

Well, thats where things get debatable, and I'm going to leave that debate to the rest of you.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2007
    Life is more advanced than ever, as far as technology goes. We live longer, healthier lives than ever. I doubt we are happier, since no amount of $$$ or stuff seems to bring true happiness.

I have found that I tend to learn more from failures than success, and like the stuff I buy when I have to sacrifice a little to get it.

Easy come, easy go, doesn't bring much contentment.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    Exactly my point, unless I took rskarvan's post wrong, things aren't better than before. If anything, they are worse....significantly worse.

Every generation has felt its the end of the world. Imagine the depression,
    the re-arming of Germany, communists taking hold in the U.S.
    Ever see the **** rally in Madison Square Garden? There's a chilling sight.
    History channel showed film clips of it from 1939.
    For my generation- the cold war, Nam, aids, drugs. The drug problem
    is one we created. We thought drugs were cool. NOT! The prisons
    are full of users and small time dealers supporting their habit.
    The question is, will the current generation overcome the obstacles of their
    own making? Only time will tell.
    Are they a rude bunch? You betcha.
    But were we really any better? We looked down on minorities and ****.
    Women were not allowed into many jobs and horribly underpaid.
    Just a matter of perspective.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    Even the Roman Empire fell. Perhaps America isn't at the peak of its game anymore. Perhaps not. In any event, I'm not going to let any worry's about today ruin my attitude. Afterall, your own attitude is all we can really, truly control.

Dennis, you are wrong,.... $$$ and stuff are the secret to happiness!!!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    Its not just the children.
    Bingo! Look at the parents, media, politicians, that are making children like this.

Nobody likes to take responsibility for their actions anymore, it's always someone else's fault.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007

Things might be, but the me, me, me, generation is not!
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    For what i see everyday is the work ethic has changed. Where I work almost everyone is younger than me..Including all of my bosses. I see the people at my job who are there just to collect a paycheck. They could care less if there doing a good job just good enough not to get fired. I am now in a new position of quality assurance and have to monitor these people do customer service and I want to strangle almost everyone of them. Then when I go out into the parking lot these 21 year old kids are getting into brand new cars. I know they cant afford them on there own and mom and dad bought it for them. Me I started working as soon as I was old enough. I was basicly working full time when I was 16 and going to school. I wanted something I had to work for it. When I was younger my mom didn't do my laundry. I did as soon as i was tall enough to reach the controls and learn. I'm happy with the way my parents raised me but unfortunatly I dont see kids today like the way i was and the rest of my friends back in the day.
  • danger boy
    edited May 2007
    what will today's "entitlement" generation be known for in the history books?

Just throwing this out there. What have the youth of today as a whole accomplished?
    Sure they will be our future leaders, doctors, politicians, teachers, mass murderers, pedophiles, maybe even a scientist to cure cancer or some other incureable disease we know today.

I honestly can't think of what today's generation will be known for.. at least not in a positive light anyways.

I guess you could say it started in the 1980's.. the decade of excesses.. continued through the 90's...and it stronger than ever now that those parents of the 80's have children... the lifestyle of excesses continues on. .02
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    much of what is said here may be true but there are execptions. lets not find fault with every kid out there,there are also alot of bright,hard working kids also that do pay their own way. i happen to be blessed with three kids that just about paid their way through collage, saved for there own car's and have decient jobs. maybe im lucky,but i did teach them not to expect everything to be handed to them. and i think they appreciate how hard they worked for everything they have. god bless them
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    much of what is said here may be true but there are execptions. lets not find fault with every kid out there,there are also alot of bright,hard working kids also that do pay their own way. i happen to be blessed with three kids that just about paid their way through collage, saved for there own car's and have decient jobs. maybe im lucky,but i did teach them not to expect everything to be handed to them. and i think they appreciate how hard they worked for everything they have. god bless them

Not trying to find fault with every kid out there. I'm just going by what I see everyday. It's great that you have three kids that have a great work ethic and i'm sure it has to do alot with the way you raised them.
  • tom t
    edited May 2007
    i was just adding to the discussion, no blame for anything
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    I have been saying this about my fellow worthless **** men/women of my generation....I always wondered on what planet it was ok to leech off of your parents until you put them in financial peril, unable to retire because they did not plan on having your leech **** in the house 12 YEARS AFTER turning 18.....I always get ridiculed when I go home and say something about a couple of my "friends" doing this......I had a real hard time not slapping some of these people who made fun of me for having a life and a REAL job....God forbid they ever do anything besides wake up and smoke a bowl. I refuse to go out with certain people because i always end up picking up the tab...The onyl way I have found around that is to "forget" my wallet...It kills me.I see examples of future stupid people everyday...The kids who play in the street in front of my house literally looked at me like I was wrong when I wanted to drive on it....Literally stared at me, then went back to playing like nothing was wrong, WHILE their parents watched this! I finally honked my horn, and what response do i get? I get a dirty look from two parents, and one feels the need to walk up the block and tell me it was "uncalled for" and that I NEED TO LEARN TO BE PATIENT, THEY WILL MOVE OUT OF THE WAY WHEN THE PLAY IS OVER! This is after I was told that they have the right of way....THEY DON'T. I contacted the police and was told that if they acknowledge my presence and continue to block the road it is illegal....Just for the record, I sat there for a good five minutes before I raised the **** flag....