WTF is going on with society today?

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Maybe this is just bothering me but I have a feeling it bothers others as well.

Lately, I have been noticing more and more radio advertisements for cool technology products saying "Kids, take your parents to come buy you X item" or "Kids, Bring your parents into a local store today to check out all the new stuff."

Is it really getting to the point where kids think they no longer need to work for anything? I mean, im a pretty new school person, 21 years old, but I was brought up the old school way, if I wanted it, I had to earn the money and buy it myself, exactly why I am where I am today. I work 55 hours a week at my full time job, run my own little side business that I work from home at night, and I go to college to graduate next year finally. I can say I have alot of assets but I have quite bit, including MY car, and everything I used to furnish my in-law apartment. Granted I can't afford rent, which is why I live at home, but I still carry my own when it comes to car payments, insurance, cell phone, and any of those bills.

3 of my good friends are on this theory as well. They don't work, they pay for nothing, they live like kings, go on paid vacations from parents, one is getting a brand new $40,000 car next week, and so on....

Call me jealous but it is starting to get obnoxious. I thought the whole idea of getting older is to mature to an adult and act like one. Having no responsibility reminds me of being in middle school when I used to have to beg my parents to buy me parts for my BMX. The crap stopped soon as I turned 15 and I was able to get a job at a local store.

Anyone else notice this growing trend?
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2007
    It started 40 years ago with Saturday morning TV commercials between cartoons for the coolest Barbie/G.I. Joe/Hot Wheels gear. You are simply just now getting old enough for it to sink into your maturing sensibilities.

Wait until the entire generation beneath you seems like spineless, whining, mind-numbed drones. It will happen.;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    It started 40 years ago with Saturday morning TV commercials between cartoons for the coolest Barbie/G.I. Joe/Hot Wheels gear. You are simply just now getting old enough for it to sink into your maturing sensibilities.

Wait until the entire generation beneath you seems like spineless, whining, mind-numbed drones. It will happen.;)

I hope not......if/when I ever have little ones myself they will never be brought up like that even if the rest of the society can't think on their own.

What really gets me though, is that my friends that are like this think that it's an acceptable way to be.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    3 of my good friends are on this theory as well. They don't work, they pay for nothing, they live like kings, go on paid vacations from parents, one is getting a brand new $40,000 car next week, and so on....

Call me jealous but it is starting to get obnoxious. I thought the whole idea of getting older is to mature to an adult and act like one. Having no responsibility reminds me of being in middle school when I used to have to beg my parents to buy me parts for my BMX. The crap stopped soon as I turned 15 and I was able to get a job at a local store.

Anyone else notice this growing trend?

Don't worry when they hit their 30s and all they know how to do is walk around with thier joint in their hand waiting for mommy or daddy to bail them out of their situation because they don't know how to do anything, you will be a successful well adjusted you man who has the world by the nads!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    The downward spiral has already begun.

Learn to swim.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited May 2007
    The crazy sensibility stuff doesn't stop at childhood marketing though......Lexus just unveiled its money-saving $124k hybrid.

What an effing oxymoron...........:rolleyes:
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    ...it's called the "entitlement" generation, and parents preoccupied with being their kids' "pal" (rather than a parent) have caused it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited May 2007
    I am totallly with Bagged on this issue , our kids friends are like this an we catch hell , my oldest boys friends all drive around in nicer cars than I drive , and their parents paid for these....(WTF).... either they are really well off of really stupid but thats their problem so far our kids havent broke us into submission on these issues and if they want it they can goto work and get it for them selves........we pay for gas to goto school and weve rebuilt old cars , 72 chevy short wide , 70 nova but we own them and they stay at the house we they move out finallt got my 72 back ....they want to go out then go find a job or go mow the back 5 acres or something for 20 bucks but your not gonna just get it for nothing .....my daughter is the worst of them all, she wants to go all week then want more on the week end and gets upset when she gets all done up then asks to go out and she needs gas ........ my wife stops it early I just let her get all done up because its not my problem .....hahahah kinda sick and twisted but sometimes she doesnt get it...
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Don't worry when they hit their 30s and all they know how to do is walk around with thier joint in their hand waiting for mommy or daddy to bail them out of their situation because they don't know how to do anything, you will be a successful well adjusted you man who has the world by the nads!

I don't know if I'd go as far to say that my friends are gonna end up like that....I mean they are all in college getting educations.....but what for? They have no work experience and I don't think they understand what reality is.

One of these friends thought he was going to be making 60k a year right out of college and he can't even get a job that pays 35k with his college degree.

I guess one of my biggest gripes is how can you not feel guilty taking all that money, cars, everything from your parents and give nothing in return? One of my friends gets a certain spending limit a month on a credit card that isn't his and then paypals himself the remainder so he can have it in cash if he doesn't hit the max limit. It really blows my mind, my parents would have been the **** outta me if I did something like that. :mad:
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    Society has been going downhill for a zillion generations. The truth is that life is better now than it ever has been in the history of the world... and, its only getting better!
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    My 3 kids have had various chores since they were 4 years old. Started with silverware then dishes, then laundry and then sweeping. also dog care. They are giving a allowance that they buy what they want. Not all are raised that way.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    That means Dennis that it is OUR generation that did a horrendous job of raising BL's generation.

And if what you say is true, BL's generation will continue the downward spiral of useless human beings!

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    That means Dennis that it is OUR generation that did a horrendous job of raising BL's generation.

And if what you say is true, BL's generation will continue the downward spiral of useless human beings!

Hey don't be calling me useless! I know where you live!(which I still haven't had 5 minutes to visit your audio setup :( )
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    Ooops, Sorry Mark! You are one of the few that was raised right & has his act together. I'm talking about people like your friends who will most likely never grow up & think that everyone should give them what they want rather than have to work for it.

They in turn will have kids & raise them to be just as useless since they won't know any better.

Well whenever you find that five minutes, just let me know.:)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    I guess I should clarify I have no problem with kids who get whatever they want from their parents within reason as long as they DO SOMETHING to earn it.

I.E. help your dad paint the entire house or something like that and ask for $50 to go out for the night.....

To be honest, I love having a job and earning my own way. Nothing is more gratifying right now than seeing that paycheck direct deposited every 2 weeks and distributing it to my different accounts to earn interest, pay bills, or spend as I please.....I guess that's not normal for most people my age to enjoy.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited May 2007
    Marketeers...have figured it out.
    They can command your attention on the radio or tv for maybe a 30 second timespot, to hawk their stuff.
    But if they get your kids to fully embrace a product, they will have succeeded in placing a salesman in your house to nag you relentlessly,
    until you buy their product just to shut the kids up.

the dark force is amongst us,

-Luc
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    Totally agree. I have an example.
    The people back of me just had a load of gravel delivered to their house. There is both Mom and Dad (both in their mid 40's) out there slugging it with wheelbarrow and shovel. Where is the lazy **** teenager? Probably still sleeping off his all night party haze. Get his **** out of bed and put him to work. But, it's not my kid.

I am no perfect parent but when I got home today from grocery shopping I had my little guy to help me carry the bags inside. He’s 8. He will clean up his room (play and sleeping – 2 rooms) today and will probably help me clean the car today as well. He likes to do things with me. When the little chores are done he can play. Yes there are times when both my wife and I have to push him to do things on his own, but we know he will be a better person down the road. What is he going to do if he goes to college or begins to work and has no work ethic. I hate to say it, but the majority of young people today are lazy. It's not their fault, it's the parents. I said the majority, not all, as I know we have a lot of young people here who earn their way, so take it for what it's worth. Crack the whip I say.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Here's a question though, if you were in my shoes, seeing my friends walking down this wrong road.....would you step in and say "wake the F up, there are others around you that earn their way" or would you just let it slide and keep putting up with it.
  • engtaz
    edited May 2007
    I would talk to them about how they are going to live on their own and how do they plan to survive.
    engtaz

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    Here's a question though, if you were in my shoes, seeing my friends walking down this wrong road.....would you step in and say "wake the F up, there are others around you that earn their way" or would you just let it slide and keep putting up with it.

BL, you can say something to them.. but in reality.. they love their hand everything to me on a silver platter lives.. they won't change.. and that's just sad.

Two of my younger coworkers are pretty similar to some of your friends.. I have two coworkers that although they don't live at home with their parents. their parents have set them up in really nice apartments and purchased nice cars for them. One is a year old Lexus and the other coworker of mine got a new A4 Audi. So with parents buying them the big stuff.. they don't have to pay for anything but gas, insurance, food, entertainment.. etc.

I'm glad i wasn't raised that way... and I appreciate when I see responsible young people who were brought up right.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    BL, you can say something to them.. but in reality.. they love their hand everything to me on a silver platter lives.. they won't change.. and that's just sad.

Ya, I'm not going to say anything to them even though they aren't living in reality......fantasy worlds must be fun. :confused:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    Its not just the children. I'm shocked at how whiney and unappreciative and entitled people claim to be at my pharmacy. Its just amazing.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    ...it's called the "entitlement" generation, and parents preoccupied with being their kids' "pal" (rather than a parent) have caused it.

BINGO!!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    I would talk to them about how they are going to live on their own and how do they plan to survive.

WHY?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    So I was just talking to one of these "friends" about how disgusted I was about that radio commercial and her words were "Whats so bad about that" and "typically kids don't have that much money for things like that".

And she ended it with saying "Things are different today than they used to be when our parents were growing up, this is the way society goes" to which I replied "Yea, and those people learn nothing all their lives, have no responsibilities and are useless people." She agreed :confused:

The whole situation is beginning to make me throw up in my mouth a little bit. :mad:
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    Again, the premise to this entire thread is absolutely incorrect. These are wonderful days and things are absolutely as they were intended to be. Its a fabulous thing that people don't even have to grow up until the age of 30. It used to be (in the 1800's) that people couldn't even finish High School because of obligations for survival.

STOP BEING SO DARN NEGATIVE!!!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Again, the premise to this entire thread is absolutely incorrect. These are wonderful days and things are absolutely as they were intended to be. Its a fabulous thing that people don't even have to grow up until the age of 30. It used to be (in the 1800's) that people couldn't even finish High School because of obligations for survival.

STOP BEING SO DARN NEGATIVE!!!

did you forget the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] or were you actually serious? :confused::confused:

I hope you were joking because not growing up till the age of 30 is pretty rediculous.
  • engtaz
    edited May 2007
    as friends, you help each other out.
    engtaz

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    The local HS parking lot is full of nicer cars than I
    drive(1998 F150).:confused:
    When I was a kid, money was tight. My parents grew up in the depression.
    They didn't throw anything out. I just cleaned out my mom's basement
    a year ago, and there was stuff there that was worthless when I was a kid
    in the 60's. No credit cards. Only loan they ever had was a mortgage on the farm.
    The question is, is that better or worse. We all worked hard for our kids to have a
    better life than we had. Now that we're there, we **** because our kids enjoy it?
    The real answer is somewhere in between the two extremes.
    I still have trouble buying NEW audio equipment. I wait for used cash deals.
    Such is the nature of the way I was raised.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    honestly... who would want to live with their parents till they were 30 yrs old? then what? suddenly they are finally old enough to leave the nest?

Isn't having your freedom from your parents every kids dream anymore?

of course not all 30 yr old kids that still live at home are bad.. some because of circumstance have put them back in their parents home.. hopefully it only till they get back on their feet. I have problems though with those kids/adults that have never moved out of their parents house and continue to mooch off said parents.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    So with the replies from rskarvan and sucks2beme, which is the way it should be?

Are we in the wrong for thinking what they are doing isn't right, or is this the way that parents want their kids to be?