WTF is going on with society today?

Comments

• tom t
    tom t Posts: 543
    edited May 2007
    i agree with many comments here, i see it every day. we all see it every day. its very frustrating for us all who have been towing the rope for a long time now and seeing many today not willing to do so. im sure alot of us feel sorry for our own kids for what they might have to endour as they get older in life.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited May 2007
    If I had the money I WOULD buy my daughter a new Audi because she DESERVES it! She has proven it over and over again, she is 21, responsible, works, and buys her own stuff. It is ME that keeps getting her things without her wanting them. Hey, BaggedLancer....I will adopt you if you want, just make sure you bring your gear with you. :D:D

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited May 2007
    When I see messed up/lazy kids/young adults, I always think to myself, "Some peoples children".

I blame the parents.

Sure everyone needs to take responsibility for their own actions...but the issue is parents aren't teaching responsibility.

Hey, if nobody made you get job and you were handed cars and money ...why would you...you wouldn't have known another way.

Just like kids who grow up working..they understand working hard getting money, making their own way. Not working and freeloading would be just as foreign to them as working two jobs to these kids who have everything handed to them.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    joeparaski wrote: »
    If I had the money I WOULD buy my daughter a new Audi because she DESERVES it! She has proven it over and over again, she is 21, responsible, works, and buys her own stuff. It is ME that keeps getting her things without her wanting them. Hey, BaggedLancer....I will adopt you if you want, just make sure you bring your gear with you. :D:D

Joe

The difference here is that she is supporting herself, and you would like to reward her because you can afford it, and you are proud of her accomplishments.....I am referring to all of the snot nosed shitheads that tell me I need to spend all kinds of $$ to mod my car, but mommy and daddy pay all of his bills, and not only did they give him his car, they pay for all of the mods too....I apologize for having to support myself, you worthless detriment to society, go smoke another bowl with the bong mommy and daddy bought you..
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited May 2007
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    When I see messed up/lazy kids/young adults, I always think to myself, "Some peoples children".

I say the same thing everyday....For some reason, people my age feel like the world owes them something just for existing....Most of them look at people like me, who has been on my own since I was 18, went overseas, generally has a real job and a life outside of my hometown and wonder why I am so angry with all of them...I could give a f$^k less what your ignorant opinion of the war is, what your opinion of me is, and most of all, what your ignorant **** thinks needs to be done to fix it all....If you had any clue on how to do any of this, or even conceptualize what it takes for all of those ignorant **** "thoughts" of yours to become a reality, you certainly wouldn't be 25 living in your parents basement being a general drain on society...I need a drink.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited May 2007
    joeparaski wrote: »

Joe

Sounds good Dad. :p

But maybe it should be my friends that your are adopting......they are the ones that need the wake up call. ;)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    what will today's "entitlement" generation be known for in the history books?

The generation that let the Islamo-facists walk in and take over the country without firing a shot because "someone else should take care of this"!!!
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    I say the same thing everyday....For some reason, people my age feel like the world owes them something just for existing....Most of them look at people like me, who has been on my own since I was 18, went overseas, generally has a real job and a life outside of my hometown and wonder why I am so angry with all of them...I could give a f$^k less what your ignorant opinion of the war is, what your opinion of me is, and most of all, what your ignorant **** thinks needs to be done to fix it all....If you had any clue on how to do any of this, or even conceptualize what it takes for all of those ignorant **** "thoughts" of yours to become a reality, you certainly wouldn't be 25 living in your parents basement being a general drain on society...I need a drink.

Easy big fella. . .they are not worth a drop of anger or concern sweat.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007

None of that comment was directed at me right? Especially the "If you had any clue on how to do any of this, or even conceptualize what it takes for all of those ignorant **** "thoughts" of yours to become a reality, you certainly wouldn't be 25 living in your parents basement being a general drain on society...I need a drink"
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    The difference here is that she is supporting herself, and you would like to reward her because you can afford it, and you are proud of her accomplishments.....I am referring to all of the snot nosed shitheads that tell me I need to spend all kinds of $$ to mod my car, but mommy and daddy pay all of his bills, and not only did they give him his car, they pay for all of the mods too....I apologize for having to support myself, you worthless detriment to society, go smoke another bowl with the bong mommy and daddy bought you..

I'd like to meet your daughter.....that's exactly who I'm looking to meet. :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    None of that comment was directed at me right? Especially the "If you had any clue on how to do any of this, or even conceptualize what it takes for all of those ignorant **** "thoughts" of yours to become a reality, you certainly wouldn't be 25 living in your parents basement being a general drain on society...I need a drink"

Don't you start the me, me, me now BL !!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:D ;):p
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Don't you start the me, me, me now BL !!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:D ;):p

HEY! I thought in this society it's the cool thing to jump on the bandwagon!

What happened to the "if it's free it's for me!"
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited May 2007
    The generation that let the Islamo-facists walk in and take over the country without firing a shot because "someone else should take care of this"!!!

My thoughts exactly. Too many chiefs, not enough indians in a sense. No one will stand up and fight, just tell you their ideas on how SOMEONE ELSE should fight. I am sorry for all of the rants, but this hits a little close to home...I am constantly told what needs to be done in Iraq by people who not only have NEVER been there, but people who could NEVER do what I have done or what I do. Not that they are physically incapable, but they are mentally not capable to follow or lead in any capacity...These are the children that are now entering the job force...What they do not realize that by trying to express their individualism they are all the same..I do not subscribe to political correctness, and if someone wants to kill me, they are going to have a hell of a time...

I think a testament to this mentality is the Virginia Tech massacre....I am not trying to offend, but to simply point out something. The only person to resist was a survivor of the **** concentration camps...Instead of helping, people jumped out of the damn window. One person CAN make a difference in this situation, no matter how you argue it...This "future of society" has NO CLUE what it means to be selfless, to put the greater good (in this case, that would mean taking down the nut case) before their personal safety...I know why that professor made a go at him too....After living through a concentration camp, the last way I would be trying to go out is by the hand of some **** kid....He went through entirely too much in his lifetime to get killed that way. It is a shame.The real shame is that no one tried to help him. NO ONE! WTF! I know I have training, etc.....I also know that I have always had this mentality, I WILL NOT be killed by some ****-clown who has a chip on his shoulder because he is/was not popular...Your girlfriend dumped you, deal with it....I got cheated on while I was in Iraq....I was pissed, but I got over it. She doesn't like you, leave her alone. I'll send you a video of how much she likes me...:D

I digress.....Again, this is not meant to offend, but there are a lot of things that really get to me about most people my age.......
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    Just curious, how old are you bill?
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited May 2007
    Just curious, how old are you bill?

I'm 25....None of that was directed at anybody.....Just ranting...
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    gotcha, couldnt telll if you were 18, 55, or somewhere in between.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    None of that was directed at anybody.....Just ranting...

Good, cause I live in my parents basement which is a renovated in-law furnished by me.......just a place to stay till I finish college and can get out on my own.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    God Bless YOU!!! If you didn't put your kids on the right path they would be lumped in with the rest we are complaining about! Hopefully, your kids will raise their kids in the same way.
    tom t wrote: »
    much of what is said here may be true but there are execptions. lets not find fault with every kid out there,there are also alot of bright,hard working kids also that do pay their own way. i happen to be blessed with three kids that just about paid their way through collage, saved for there own car's and have decient jobs. maybe im lucky,but i did teach them not to expect everything to be handed to them. and i think they appreciate how hard they worked for everything they have. god bless them
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited May 2007
    Good, cause I live in my parents basement which is a renovated in-law furnished by me.......just a place to stay till I finish college and can get out on my own.

There is nothing wrong with that. You are going to school man. I was ranting about people who live in the basement who are doing nothing besides smoking pot and being a drain on their parents wallets and society. There are a lot of people going to school and living at home, and I actually think that is a great idea, you save a lot of $$ if you are able. I thought about going back to school when I get out of the Army, but I couldn't deal with a dorm situation, and I couldn't afford to work part time and still have a decent apt. to myself....I currently share a 2500SF house with a friend of mine, and to have to condense into a dorm or efficiency apt. would kill me. I have too many toys.:D
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    There is nothing wrong with that. You are going to school man. I was ranting about people who live in the basement who are doing nothing besides smoking pot and being a drain on their parents wallets and society. There are a lot of people going to school and living at home, and I actually think that is a great idea, you save a lot of $$ if you are able. I thought about going back to school when I get out of the Army, but I couldn't deal with a dorm situation, and I couldn't afford to work part time and still have a decent apt. to myself....I currently share a 2500SF house with a friend of mine, and to have to condense into a dorm or efficiency apt. would kill me. I have too many toys.:D

Exactly why I live home.....the first time my first roommate refused bounce for a while so I could spend some "personal time" with my girlfriend at the time I decided dorms and apartments weren't the place for me.

I can afford plenty of toys and fun stuff right now but could never even think about moving to my own place as much as I'd love to...it's just not an option right now.

On the other hand, one of my friends mentioned earlier had an apartment that was $3200/month split 3 ways that included nothing, no ultilities. Parents foot the bill. If those were my parents I would have said buy me a house and spend that money on the mortgage.....atleast you have something to show for it at the end.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    I don't have an issue with you living at home Mark. It is too expensive out there to get an apartment on a starting salary with all the other expenses entailed with it, without having a dozen roomates!

Now hopefully you are being smart and banking what you can after expenses so that you can afford to move out when you finish school.

If not, do find time to drop by so that I can knock some sense in to you!;) :D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »

Now hopefully you are being smart and banking what you can after expenses so that you can afford to move out when you finish school.

If not, do find time to drop by so that I can knock some sense in to you!;) :D

No sense knocking needed here......I bank atleast 30% of every paycheck, finished paying off all my credit card debt from last year when I had a half **** job after my surgeries all year.

Basically work my full time job at Gillette and do my own part time company at night when I come home.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited May 2007
    Exactly why I live home.....the first time my first roommate refused bounce for a while so I could spend some "personal time" with my girlfriend at the time I decided dorms and apartments weren't the place for me.

I can afford plenty of toys and fun stuff right now but could never even think about moving to my own place as much as I'd love to...it's just not an option right now.

On the other hand, one of my friends mentioned earlier had an apartment that was $3200/month split 3 ways that included nothing, no ultilities. Parents foot the bill. If those were my parents I would have said buy me a house and spend that money on the mortgage.....atleast you have something to show for it at the end.

HOLY S$^T! $3200 a month?! Hell man, the mortgage on this place is $1120/month....With utilites/Directv/Internet, it comes out to be near the $1800 mark.....My buddy is pretty good about clearing out when/if I have a woman around for "private time", and I return the courtesy....Ledhed has seen the place, mostly a man pad....Haha.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    HOLY S$^T! $3200 a month?! Hell man, the mortgage on this place is $1120/month....With utilites/Directv/Internet, it comes out to be near the $1800 mark.....My buddy is pretty good about clearing out when/if I have a woman around for "private time", and I return the courtesy....Ledhed has seen the place, mostly a man pad....Haha.

Quite a few places in the boston area that much. Especially near college campuses. They expect you to get 10 roommates into a 3 bedroom apartment. My place is a man pad as well and since its me, myself and I, no one need to clear out. The funniest part is, before I moved out of school I broke up with my previously GF, 4 years later living at home I've never had another and really couldn't be happier at this point
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    My thoughts exactly. Too many chiefs, not enough indians in a sense. No one will stand up and fight, just tell you their ideas on how SOMEONE ELSE should fight. I am sorry for all of the rants, but this hits a little close to home...I am constantly told what needs to be done in Iraq by people who not only have NEVER been there, but people who could NEVER do what I have done or what I do. Not that they are physically incapable, but they are mentally not capable to follow or lead in any capacity...These are the children that are now entering the job force...What they do not realize that by trying to express their individualism they are all the same..I do not subscribe to political correctness, and if someone wants to kill me, they are going to have a hell of a time...

I think a testament to this mentality is the Virginia Tech massacre....I am not trying to offend, but to simply point out something. The only person to resist was a survivor of the **** concentration camps...Instead of helping, people jumped out of the damn window. One person CAN make a difference in this situation, no matter how you argue it...This "future of society" has NO CLUE what it means to be selfless, to put the greater good (in this case, that would mean taking down the nut case) before their personal safety...I know why that professor made a go at him too....After living through a concentration camp, the last way I would be trying to go out is by the hand of some **** kid....He went through entirely too much in his lifetime to get killed that way. It is a shame.The real shame is that no one tried to help him. NO ONE! WTF! I know I have training, etc.....I also know that I have always had this mentality, I WILL NOT be killed by some ****-clown who has a chip on his shoulder because he is/was not popular...Your girlfriend dumped you, deal with it....I got cheated on while I was in Iraq....I was pissed, but I got over it. She doesn't like you, leave her alone. I'll send you a video of how much she likes me...:D

I digress.....Again, this is not meant to offend, but there are a lot of things that really get to me about most people my age.......

Bill my wife and friends of mine from the old neighborhood were talking about that tragedy at VT and I know it is only talk now but this is very true. . .if that kid showed up in my high school back then he may have gotten one shot off before being attacked by most every guy in the room. . . that is how it was. We saw gun, knife and any weapon you can mention violence and it wasn't tolerated by us. I'm not trying to sound like a hero or anything here but we protected the women and each other. God forbid if someone beat on a little brother or sister too!

Now it is every little wimp for themselves.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007

No sane person could have an issue with you man! You talk the talk and walk the walk. . . it's the parent leaches that need the **** whoopin', them and their parents.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    What I don't understand is how do these kids actually get any satisfaction out of anything?

I know for a fact all the ones that get things handed to them treat the stuff like crap.....cars, computers, anything. Whereas, if I paid for it I take care of it cause I may not be able to buy another.
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited May 2007
    Bill my wife and friends of mine from the old neighborhood were talking about that tragedy at VT and I know it is only talk now but this is very true. . .if that kid showed up in my high school back then he may have gotten one shot off before being attacked by most every guy in the room. . . that is how it was. We saw gun, knife and any weapon you can mention violence and it wasn't tolerated by us. I'm not trying to sound like a hero or anything here but we protected the women and each other. God forbid if someone beat on a little brother or sister too!

Now it is every little wimp for themselves.

This is what I am talking about. It wasn't tolerated then, but for some reason it is now...I don't know when this became ok, but that needs to change NOW! Guns don't equal power, in fact, it has been proven that at a short distance that a gun is LESS effective than a knife or any yielded ordinary object....Throwing a chair, pen, stabbing him with a pencil....SOMETHING! Chances are he will not react fast enough to actually hit you with a bullet...The gun may go off, but you will be able to deflect the gun in another direction. I have a concealed carry permit, and I do make use of it. I also carry an automatic Benchmade, mostly because I use it as an everyday utility knife, but I can get that out and open before I can get a gun drawn...I am pretty quick now, but the knife is still a lot quicker than the gun, and is much better in close quarters confrontations.....
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2007
    Funny, how we can fault in all, based upon the actions of a few. As a teacher, I see them at their most positive, average, and negative moments. Sure, some run around thinking they are entitled, but at the same time, I see others busting it every day. I also see how many are willing to help a teacher, parent, etc. when asked.

let us not forget how many 18-22 year olds are in the military dealing with 9/11 in Afghanistan, and the mess in Iraq.

Most will turn out just fine, some with struggle like with any generation, and a few will end up in prison. I remember my parents saying the same thing about kids in my generation. My son is now 22, all of his friends but one have turned out to be dedicated, positive adults.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    I am pretty quick now, but the knife is still a lot quicker than the gun, and is much better in close quarters confrontations.....

Hell so is a good thumb in the eye or the colar bone or the groin or the throat hell you don't even have to think about it, anywhere there is a pressure point and there are more than several on the body.

Sorry about the derail. . .. I'll stop mine here.