I love the hip hop community!!

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    The way I see it, to black people is a white & black issue. I'm 1st generation Italian and IMHO it is not a black & white issue. Italians, Irish, Germans etc are all "white" and each has had their fair share of trying to get up and out. Now I am not saying they had to overcome slavery issues but it is not as easy as saying black & white.

What about the Chinese/Orientals? They were slaves as well and, for the most part, have worked themselves out of that situation. The Irish and Jewish settlers were abused just as bad, if not worse, than the freed slaves. Mexican immigrants are currently worse off than their contemporary black communities. I just really don't get the "we're victims" mindset.....

Cathy: I don't think you were lucky, you just realized that it took some work to get out of the "trap". For once, i whole heartedly agree with you. :D
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2007
    Ya think this rapper got the publicity he was looking for out of this?
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited April 2007
    That would imply his core audience could read and above a 3rd grade level. So....I'm not sure.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    aaharvel wrote: »
    #43. re-read (or just read). ;)
    Being just a little condescending aren't we?
    Early B. wrote: »
    Then re-read #44.;)

I actually read what has been written before I post...and my reading comprehension skills are quite good.

While both post #43 and #44 had some recognition that the environmental pressures can be overcome...both end with a resounding "BUT".

All you are doing is what society as a whole is doing...giving them the "out" to maintain the status quo. When society quits accepting the excuses and demands that people take advantage of the opportunities available to them (and regardless of what anyone says...there are the resources available to ANYONE willing to use them) then and only then will the cycle be broken.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2007
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited April 2007
    One of the greatest books ever written.. that and Origin of the Species.

I don't know; promoting hard work, self-reliance, and other such aspects ....
    ....is that a good thing ? :rolleyes:
    Sal Palooza
  • jabrax
    jabrax Posts: 315
    edited April 2007
    This dialogue is wonderful...The twist, turns, implications.

Hearingimpaired - My fellow philly boy, who said anything about this being black and white? And where the hell did slavery come from? (sarcasm yes - truely curious tho) LOL. Also interesting is how some immediately latched onto that comment as if that has to do with anything we are talking about. The whole whisper a secret syndrome in full affect :)

I admitted my post was all over the place, but let me tie my comments for you. I mentioned our grandparents and parents (not slaves) who are possibly still with us......have and have-nots...struggling parents away from home trying to make ends meet..those trying to get it.....ITS ABOUT THE ECONOMICS, NOT BLACK OR WHITE. Now tie in your environment, things you see and are exposed to and the desire to get yours. That is where the tough decisions are made. Some make some reeeeeally bad ones, but I understand how. Kinda like the collegue athlete who takes money while still in school. When you poor **** grows up eating mayonaisse sandwiches for dinner, someone dropping stuff in you lap is really tempting :)

Troy D - I am about as 0 tolerant/hardline as you can get. Noone ever said the comments were proper. Pretty f'd up if you ask me, but that doesn't mean I close my eyes to what could possibly cause someone to feel that way. Education is key to understanding, and I'm not talking about just text books.

All the rah-rah about working hard, goodthings will happen for you is excellent moral standing to live by (worked for me), but if you think just because someone works hard, good things will happen to them, you are friggen trippen. There is only so much room to get out at one time. If every highschool senior scores 1500, sorry sombody aint gettin in. So who gets in and who doesn't?

Our society is based on economics and standing. It has to have rich and poor. Some are born into situations with inherent advantages and piss them away, while others have to scrape and "hustle". Not an excuse, its a fact of life. So when some stupid **** makes a comment like he did about police, I can disagree with it, but I attempt to understand it. To close our eyes to the reality of it all, makes us no better.

In the end the asswhole may be the biggest punk walking, but the media puts it out there. So who really gets paid? (Think Hard)
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Ya think this rapper got the publicity he was looking for out of this?

Hmmmmmm LOL

Finally - probably no more comments from me

Still noone has answered my initial question - What the hell does his comments have to do with HipHop? :)

and how is that association made...a whole new topic for another thread lol

Bye, and thanks for the stimulating dialogue.
    TV...............Hitachi 42hdS52a plasma (sexy one with the swival)
    Pre/Processor - Emotiva MMC
    Seven Ch AMP - Emotiva LPA
    Fronts - Tyler Acoustics 7U's
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    DAC - Music Hall 25.3CD - Marantz cc4001
    Blue Ray - PS3
    Speaker cables - Audioquest cv4 dbs
    Interconnects - MIT AVT1's
    Power Filter....Monster HTS 3500 MKII
  • jabrax
    edited April 2007
    HearingImpaired, where ya from. We are still in fairly good proximity, we need to do a couple of cold ones sometime and shoot the **** about it :)
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    Blue Ray - PS3
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    Still noone has answered my initial question - What the hell does his comments have to do with HipHop?

Why? Well, he's a hip-hop artist.

The most saturated aspect of the hip-hop world is the gang culture. That may not be your choice, but it is what it is. Young black kids aren't listening to Chet Atkins when their homeboys aren't around. If a guy like this is preaching this crap to an impressionable young kid with parents who don't care or aren't involved -- then it has everything to do with hip-hop.

There are some artists out there who are responsible, but they're few and far between and not vocal enough.

Bottom line is that this is a problem the black community needs to solve for itself. If every time a Bill Cosby speaks out the community drowns him out -- well, then not a damn thing is going to change.

I can't wholly blame a kid for getting involved with a gang. It's feast or famine and the thugs prey on the week. Better to be giving than receiving when it comes to that. It starts with the parents, and if they're not around what is a kid supposed to do?

Stop being afraid of the PD. It's not the 1960s. I see blacks arresting blacks, nothing racial about that.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2007
    Dipset is definitely in the building........................
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    jabrax wrote: »
    This dialogue is wonderful...The twist, turns, implications.

Hearingimpaired - My fellow philly boy, who said anything about this being black and white? And where the hell did slavery come from? (sarcasm yes - truely curious tho) LOL. Also interesting is how some immediately latched onto that comment as if that has to do with anything we are talking about.

You brought up the black and white Bro. I brought up the slavery thing only because taken in context what I was saying was that Italian, Irish, German white people went through the same problem of having to overcome to get up and out but they didn't have the "slavery" part in their past at least not here in America. See below.
    Lets face it....for the 40 year old generation....Our black and white grandparents probably don't like (i said probably) each other. The children of these grandparents (especially black) were taking **** whoopings for opportunity to vote (example.)
    The whole whisper a secret syndrome in full affect
    :)
    I don't know what the above statement means?/:confused:
    I admitted my post was all over the place, but let me tie my comments for you. I mentioned our grandparents and parents (not slaves) who are possibly still with us......have and have-nots...struggling parents away from home trying to make ends meet..those trying to get it.....ITS ABOUT THE ECONOMICS, NOT BLACK OR WHITE. Now tie in your environment, things you see and are exposed to and the desire to get yours. That is where the tough decisions are made. Some make some reeeeeally bad ones, but I understand how. Kinda like the collegue athlete who takes money while still in school. When you poor **** grows up eating mayonaisse sandwiches for dinner, someone dropping stuff in you lap is really tempting :)

Troy D - I am about as 0 tolerant/hardline as you can get. Noone ever said the comments were proper. Pretty f'd up if you ask me, but that doesn't mean I close my eyes to what could possibly cause someone to feel that way. Education is key to understanding, and I'm not talking about just text books.

All the rah-rah about working hard, goodthings will happen for you is excellent moral standing to live by (worked for me), but if you think just because someone works hard, good things will happen to them, you are friggen trippen. There is only so much room to get out at one time. If every highschool senior scores 1500, sorry sombody aint gettin in. So who gets in and who doesn't?

Our society is based on economics and standing. It has to have rich and poor. Some are born into situations with inherent advantages and piss them away, while others have to scrape and "hustle". Not an excuse, its a fact of life. So when some stupid **** makes a comment like he did about police, I can disagree with it, but I attempt to understand it. To close our eyes to the reality of it all, makes us no better.

In the end the asswhole may be the biggest punk walking, but the media puts it out there. So who really gets paid? (Think Hard)

Hmmmmmm LOL

Finally - probably no more comments from me

Bye, and thanks for the stimulating dialogue.
    Still noone has answered my initial question - What the hell does his comments have to do with HipHop? :)

That's kind of like saying what does John Lennon's quotes on Jesus Christ have to do with the Beatles. Average white American Joe thinks HipHop is a black thing. No? Isn't it? When the average Joe looks at Allen Iverson, he thinks hiphop gangster and then basketball player, no? You see where I am going Bro?
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    You were nabbed Bro, I got the email before you edited:
    HearingImpaired, where ya from. We are still in fairly good proximity, we need to do a couple of cold ones sometime and shoot the **** about it :).

Well I just recently moved from Philly (thank God) to Newark Delaware. I don't drink but I would love to get together and shoot some audio ****. We just had a get together at Phil's in Magnolia, NJ this past Saturday. Check out this thread. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52002

BTW I am hearingimpared. . . not to be mixed up with what seems to be a defunct member HearingImpaired.:)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2007
    Jabrax,

Flush out your headgear. I'm not under any sort of Polyanna type illusions. I AM saying that there is no excuse to be a thug. I don't care what your environment/background is. There is no justification for being a criminal.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,805
    edited April 2007
    That's kind of like saying what does John Lennon's quotes on Jesus Christ have to do with the Beatles. Average white American Joe thinks HipHop is a black thing. No? Isn't it? When the average Joe looks at Allen Iverson, he thinks hiphop gangster and then basketball player, no? You see where I am going Bro?

Just some insight here. Hip-hop is a type of music. Music belongs to the ages. There is no age, color, race or creed to music. It just is. Music is a universal communicator. A group of society cannot really "own" music but origins can be traced back to different cultures where environement has shaped that music over time. As the music transcends borders, it picks up influences of other music and they blend together to form new music.

Hip-hop is not black. It is music. However, the "ownership" of hip-hop is propagated and fueled by racially charged stereotypes. One of the biggest ones I have heard my entire life is that "white boys ain't got no rythm". Want to see what I'm talking about? Look at a black comedian like Eddie Griffin when he discuss and mocks a stereotype of white guys being country club jerks. Or better yet, Carlton Banks from The Fresh Prince, How many times on that show was he referred to as the "whitest black dude"? I won't go into what I believe is the hypocrisy behind modern television in regards to race on all sides.

Then again, it goes the otherway too. While I think Jeff Foxworthy has a good act and he has done well while promoting clean comedy, he does contribute to the stereotype that country music and being a redneck are a white guy thing. Not by his own fault but by the stupidity of the media that will skew the perception of his target audience as being "in-bred, white, country hicks". Foxworthy however says "We all have a little redneck in us!" and doesn't limit it to "white folk".

The reason people think hip-hop is a black thing is not only because of racial stereotypes and inaccurate perceptions but also the environment that has shaped that music.

As a polar opposite, look at grunge rock. That had angst-ridden, teenage suburbanite written all over. Since the majority of those suburbanites were white kids, grunge rock addressed alot of the culture issues in those environments. Even more so, it's musical base is heaviliy influenced by another predominatly white, cultural phenomenon...hippies.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • jabrax
    edited April 2007
    You were nabbed Bro, I got the email before you edited:

Well I just recently moved from Philly (thank God) to Newark Delaware. I don't drink but I would love to get together and shoot some audio ****. We just had a get together at Phil's in Magnolia, NJ this past Saturday. Check out this thread. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52002

BTW I am hearingimpared. . . not to be mixed up with what seems to be a defunct member HearingImpaired.:)

Cool, sounds like plan. Man, its turning into friggen zoo over there.
    You brought up the black and white Bro. I brought up the slavery thing only because taken in context what I was saying was that Italian, Irish, German white people went through the same problem of having to overcome to get up and out but they didn't have the "slavery" part in their past at least not here in America. See below.

I don't know what the above statement means?/:confused:

?

Another hole that needs explanation to the economic thing - The elder generation still exist and many of them are decision makers who have heavy influence on the generations after them (so on and so on) of today and do have an influence on who does what. The corrolation (sp)to slavery or what any other nationality went through really isnt there for the context that I speaking. Hope its a little clearer.
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Why? Well, he's a hip-hop artist.

The most saturated aspect of the hip-hop world is the gang culture. That may not be your choice, but it is what it is. Young black kids aren't listening to Chet Atkins when their homeboys aren't around. If a guy like this is preaching this crap to an impressionable young kid with parents who don't care or aren't involved -- then it has everything to do with hip-hop.

There are some artists out there who are responsible, but they're few and far between and not vocal enough.

Bottom line is that this is a problem the black community needs to solve for itself. If every time a Bill Cosby speaks out the community drowns him out -- well, then not a damn thing is going to change.

I can't wholly blame a kid for getting involved with a gang. It's feast or famine and the thugs prey on the week. Better to be giving than receiving when it comes to that. It starts with the parents, and if they're not around what is a kid supposed to do?

Stop being afraid of the PD. It's not the 1960s. I see blacks arresting blacks, nothing racial about that.

Demi...Thank you so much for your honest opinion. But, in my opinion it displays what I view is truely a problem (not downing yours or anyone elses opinions, they are just somewhat different than mine)

I am taking your response as written, my interpretation may be wrong. Because he is a hiphop artist, he represents the hiphop community. No way. Does a racist black or white, speak for his whole race (hypothetical, but some idiot will probably say yeah). Example, do black people all agree with how Imus was handled. Not to shock, but I would say no. Why, ask them lol. But they have the mic shoved in their faces soooooo... you get where I'm going.

Sorry, but hiphop is much/much larger than gansta rap. Its the **** put out there for the money that people pounce on without understanding. Personally, I don't like hiphop music (not my generation), but there are many, many, many that if you are not into hiphop, you don't know. Nephew has hipped me to some pretty creative underground stuff. Not my cup of tea, but very creative.

Don't villify all of the good kids because the decision makers push that crap in the front because they think that is what people want to here and buy (sorta like seeing someones **** in a movie, what the hell for, because some jackasses at the top believe that is what people want to see). What we hear on the airwaves is a very small sample. Sorry, but I feel your comments expose how much influence certain avenues have on ourlives to shape our predjudices. See my very first post in the thread.

Hmmmm, hiphop is a black thing? Top artist maybe...Sorry, I beg to differ, but that was brought up in another thread...

Yes, I love Bill, he is speaking to the black community...Not HipHop :)

I think I really am done this time.

Peace to you all
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    Blue Ray - PS3
  • jabrax
    edited April 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    Jabrax,

Flush out your headgear. I'm not under any sort of Polyanna type illusions. I AM saying that there is no excuse to be a thug. I don't care what your environment/background is. There is no justification for being a criminal.

BDT

I know bro - believe it not....many of our views our the same. Just expressed differently

Jeff
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    Blue Ray - PS3
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Just some insight here. Hip-hop is a type of music. Music belongs to the ages. There is no age, color, race or creed to music. It just is. Music is a universal communicator. A group of society cannot really "own" music but origins can be traced back to different cultures where environement has shaped that music over time. As the music transcends borders, it picks up influences of other music and they blend together to form new music.

Hip-hop is not black. It is music. However, the "ownership" of hip-hop is propagated and fueled by racially charged stereotypes. One of the biggest ones I have heard my entire life is that "white boys ain't got no rythm". Want to see what I'm talking about? Look at a black comedian like Eddie Griffin when he discuss and mocks a stereotype of white guys being country club jerks. Or better yet, Carlton Banks from The Fresh Prince, How many times on that show was he referred to as the "whitest black dude"? I won't go into what I believe is the hypocrisy behind modern television in regards to race on all sides.

Then again, it goes the otherway too. While I think Jeff Foxworthy has a good act and he has done well while promoting clean comedy, he does contribute to the stereotype that country music and being a redneck are a white guy thing. Not by his own fault but by the stupidity of the media that will skew the perception of his target audience as being "in-bred, white, country hicks". Foxworthy however says "We all have a little redneck in us!" and doesn't limit it to "white folk".

The reason people think hip-hop is a black thing is not only because of racial stereotypes and inaccurate perceptions but also the environment that has shaped that music.

As a polar opposite, look at grunge rock. That had angst-ridden, teenage suburbanite written all over. Since the majority of those suburbanites were white kids, grunge rock addressed alot of the culture issues in those environments. Even more so, it's musical base is heaviliy influenced by another predominatly white, cultural phenomenon...hippies.

John while I agree with you much of the time and I do agree with you here for the most part, I must say one thing. Stereotypes are real!!! No matter how people twist and turn it, they are real.

I have no problem saying that Italian guys have black hair, heavy beards, talk with their hands and tend to be momma's boys, say hey yo and a whole lot of other stuff. My point is I like pasta as do most Italians but I know Italians who don't eat pasta but for the most part Italians eat pasta. Is that a stereotype.

I remember in school a liberal one at that, they were trying to teach us that stereotyping was done out of ignorance. I say ****!. It is not out of ignorance. Every race, every nationality has their own particular or even peculiar, to some, ways and customs and traits this is not stereotyping this is observing and stating facts.

If someone uses a stereotype to put someone down then I would consider that person to be an ignorant person.

PS: most white boys don't have rhythm!!!
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited April 2007
    hate to say it but hearing hit it on the head: in most cases Stereotyping is real. It has to come from somewhere, and usually it isn't ignorance, but set patterns of behavior within a certain social circle. that's just reality.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2007
    Young black kids aren't listening to Chet Atkins when their homeboys aren't around.

Some young black kids listen to Chet Atkins and other country music artists. There are other young black kids who prefer jazz, classical, rock, etc. I am not so sure that most young black kids even have "homeboys" and that they embrace ghetto/thug/gangsta rap culture. If rappers had to depend on black consumers for their livelyhood, they would starve. Two-thirds of the domestic consumers for rap music, particularly gangsta rap music, are white teenagers. Of course, when you consider the international market for rap music (Europe and Asia), the number of black consumers dwindles to next to nothing.
    Bottom line is that this is a problem the black community needs to solve for itself.

Where is this so-called "black community" that I keep reading about and hearing about in the media? I don't think it exists...any more than a "white community", "Chinese community", "rich peoples community", or any other stereotypical "community" exists. This is merely a label that is used to paint a large, diverse group with a stereotypical, all-encompasing brush stroke. While somewhat inconvenient, it is really not that difficult to grasp the concept that black people are just as diverse in their interests and lifestyles as any other group in this country.

Are rich white people, as a group, interested in solving the social problems in poor white communities? Do middle class and upper middle class white people, as a group, share a "kinship" and feel a sense of responsibility to help alleviate the economic and social suffering of their less fortunate white bretheren? If the son of a white fortune 500 CEO brings home a white lady of good character and sound mind, but who comes from an economically, educationally, and socially disadvantaged background, would said CEO likely be pleased? Why shouldn't he be pleased? After all, they are all members of the "white community" aren't they? Can't they "take in" her and her family the way that Milburn Drysdale "took in" Jed Clampett, Granny, Ellie Mae, and Jethro?

Do you really think that a Wall Street investment banker, who happens to be black, gives a rat's **** about what some ignorant, functionally illiterate rapper, athlete, or entertainer says? Do you really think that a high school math teacher, who happens to be black, identifies with the likes of Snoop Dogg, Cam'ron, or Mike Tyson? Do you really think that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (who the media whores love to run to in order to gauge what the so-called "black community" thinks about a particular issue) represent the values and aspirations of middle and upper middle class black Americans?
    If every time a Bill Cosby speaks out the community drowns him out -- well, then not a damn thing is going to change.

Not a damn thing is going to change for ANY "community" whose constituents do not embrace the concepts of education, hard work, and sacrifice as a means of bettering their condition and station in life. If there has ever been an instance where Bill Cosby has been drowned out in a particular "community", I would bet my entire investment portfolio that he was speaking to a "community" who had different values from his and who really didn't want to hear what he had to say. I would not expect Bill Cosby to get the same welcome from a predominately black gang-infested south central Los Angeles "community" as he would get from a predominately black middle class "community" in Atlanta. Bill, like most people, always receives a lot of love as long as he stays on his side of the tracks.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited April 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

I cant believe you did that. lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's the pic????
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited April 2007
    Russ......That is the greatest picture ever....
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2007
    Great post DK!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    Some young black kids listen to Chet Atkins and other country music artists. There are other young black kids who prefer jazz, classical, rock, etc. I am not so sure that most young black kids even have "homeboys" and that they embrace ghetto/thug/gangsta rap culture. If rappers had to depend on black consumers for their livelyhood, they would starve. Two-thirds of the domestic consumers for rap music, particularly gangsta rap music, are white teenagers. Of course, when you consider the international market for rap music (Europe and Asia), the number of black consumers dwindles to next to nothing.

There's a some in any group. Unfortunately the majority tends to rule the roost. The minority speaking out and not being afraid to do so would go a long way. I also realize many have given up, and to an extent I can't blame them for doing so.

Maybe my perspective is from being a white guy going to an inner city school for a while. I got along with most everyone there for the most part, but I saw the weak get preyed upon with dire consequences. The violence there was insane compared to the suburban schools I went to, where other minorities also attended. They excelled in academics and made something of themselves. A lot of that was having parents who gave a crap about them and their own drive to get away from that inner city culture.

I believe this part of the discussion got started with respect to the inner city, where the majority of crime takes place in this country. Would you deny that? Would you deny that blacks are the main perpetrators of these crimes -- some petty, some as serious as murder?

It is what it is, and whites and other blacks don't want to say it because they're afraid of being called a racist or an Uncle Tom.

So yes, you're right that it's not blacks that are solely purchasing this asshats music. Where you're off is the suggestion that the influence isn't the deepest on the inner city communities, which are made up of mostly African Americans.
    Where is this so-called "black community" that I keep reading about and hearing about in the media? I don't think it exists...any more than a "white community", "Chinese community", "rich peoples community", or any other stereotypical "community" exists. This is merely a label that is used to paint a large, diverse group with a stereotypical, all-encompasing brush stroke. While somewhat inconvenient, it is really not that difficult to grasp the concept that black people are just as diverse in their interests and lifestyles as any other group in this country.

I couldn't tell you where it is. I've watched grass roots efforts here in Milwaukee (on of the most violent cities in America, sadly) fall flat on their face. I've watched a fellow political activist, Vienna Jordan, lose an election to a racist, feminizing, violent thug.

Part of her biggest obstacle was trying to get the vote of nearly the entire district that adapted the proverbial Oath of Silence in regards to police matters. This was an African American community, like it or not.

The community is there, and it's broken. The only time the majority of African Americans are going to assimilate into the rest of society like minority of their ethnic brothers and sisters is when they get off their asses and start caring for one another and holding some standards for themselves. The problem is that they have too many excuses to stay where they are. That topic about government assistance is another subject all together so I won't even go there.

As mentioned before, stereotypes exist becuase they have an aura of truth to them. Knowing many successful black men from the cigar shop they have all said that they're the most angry with these thugs. They obviously don't dwell on it, but an anger exists. I've heard it with my own to ears. They don't let these thugs speak for them, but the realize that they're going to get lumped into the stereotype whether they like it or not.
    Are rich white people, as a group, interested in solving the social problems in poor white communities? Do middle class and upper middle class white people, as a group, share a "kinship" and feel a sense of responsibility to help alleviate the economic and social suffering of their less fortunate white bretheren? If the son of a white fortune 500 CEO brings home a white lady of good character and sound mind, but who comes from an economically, educationally, and socially disadvantaged background, would said CEO likely be pleased? Why shouldn't he be pleased? After all, they are all members of the "white community" aren't they? Can't they "take in" her and her family the way that Milburn Drysdale "took in" Jed Clampett, Granny, Ellie Mae, and Jethro?

Most poor whites aren't killing one another. Most are not robbing people, dealing drugs, stealing cars, and fathering illegitimate children en masse. There are excepetions to everything, just like within the inner city culture, but the deeds of the majority stand out.
    Do you really think that a Wall Street investment banker, who happens to be black, gives a rat's **** about what some ignorant, functionally illiterate rapper, athlete, or entertainer says? Do you really think that a high school math teacher, who happens to be black, identifies with the likes of Snoop Dogg, Cam'ron, or Mike Tyson? Do you really think that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (who the media whores love to run to in order to gauge what the so-called "black community" thinks about a particular issue) represent the values and aspirations of middle and upper middle class black Americans?

Well, yes, I do. You may be different, but I only have three black friends and common aquaintances. One runs his own insurance business, the other is a lawyer, and the last is a doctor. All three have some deep resentment about these types of debris. They don't let them water down their accomplishments, but the do recognize it's not good for society as a whole.

Also, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton don't give a good God damn about the black community. They make money by this kind of crap festering.

My solution is to embrace standards accross the board. Blacks are by and large stuck in neutral, which is why it's a black problem. Is it your problem as a black man? No, but I would hope you'd offer a helping hand to a kid that expressed the desire to straighten himself out.

There are no standards in the inner city and there are no standards becuase there are very few parents who actually care. They're children themselves in many ways and are only contributing to the cycle.
    If there has ever been an instance where Bill Cosby has been drowned out in a particular "community", I would bet my entire investment portfolio that he was speaking to a "community" who had different values from his and who really didn't want to hear what he had to say. I would not expect Bill Cosby to get the same welcome from a predominately black gang-infested south central Los Angeles "community" as he would get from a predominately black middle class "community" in Atlanta. Bill, like most people, always receives a lot of love as long as he stays on his side of the tracks.

Bill Cosby got constantly thrown under a bus. If he was speaking to a "community" with different values than his own then the problem is with that "community". The entire point I was trying to make. It's not whites, it's not Chinese, it's not Mexicans, it's not Japanese, it's blacks.

There are exceptions, but Cam'Ron's stupid **** comments will be embraced by many young black impressionable young males who have absent fathers and cracked out or just plain uncaring mothers.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited April 2007
    Local Greensboro police run down a drive by shooter, the passenger gets out and runs with his bullet proof vest on, the driver resists arrest and bites the police officer. The TV crew shows up and interviews a bystander who says that the police used excessive force to cuff the guy. WTF is going to happen when the officers finally say the hell with risking my life for these asswipes and then the news they do real good making it look like a racial thing.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2007
    First off, I cant remember when such a controversial topic as this has come up on this forum and after 3 pages, its still being discussed maturely...Anyone else notice this?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Hip-hop is not black.
    I see where youre coming from, but I disagree.
    Taken from dictionary.com
    "A popular urban youth culture, closely associated with rap music and with the style and fashions of African-American inner-city residents."

I associate music with artists. The only white hip hop group i can think of is eminem. I'm sure theres more, but hes the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not a big country fan, but again, the only artist I can think of that is black is Neil McCoy. Genres like pop are mixed and you get a lot of people of many different 'colors' But genres like country and hip hop are primarily white and black respectively.

I dont hate all hip hop, theres actually a good amount I'll listen to, primarily the 90s era. But heres an example of the stuff I absolutely cant stand, this is one of the most popular hip hop songs out now.

This is why Im hot
    This is why Im hot
    This is why (this is why)
    This is why Im hot
    [x2]
    I'm hot cuz im fly,
    You ain't cuz you not,
    This is why Im hot
    I'm hot cuz im fly,
    You hate cuz you not (M.I.M.S.!)
    This is why I'm hot.

[Verse 1:]
    This is why I'm hot, I don't gotta rap
    I could sell a mil. sayin' nothing on the track
    I represent New York, I got it on my back,
    Niggas say that we lost it, so imma bring it back.
    I love the Dirty Dirty, cuz niggas show me love
    The ladies start to bounce as soon as I hit the club.
    But in the Midwest, they love to take it slow,
    So when I hit that ****, I watch em (get it on the flo')
    And if you need it hyphy, I'll take it to the Bay,
    'Frisco to Sac-Town, they do it everyday.
    Compton to Hollywood, soon as I hit LA,
    I'm in the low-low, I do it the Cali way.
    And when I hit the Chi', people tell me that I'm fly.
    They like the way I dress, they like my attire.
    They love how I move crowds from side-to-side,
    They ask me how I do it, and simply I reply:

[Chorus:]
    This is why Im hot
    This is why Im hot
    This is why Im hot
    [x2]
    I'm hot cuz im fly,
    You ain't cuz you not,
    This is why Im hot
    I'm hot cuz im fly,
    This is why I'm hot.

[Verse 2:]
    This is why I'm hot, catch me on the block,
    Every other day, another ****, another drop,
    16 bars, 24 a pop,
    44 a song, **** gimme what chu got.
    I'm into drivin cars, fresh up off the lot ,
    Im into shuttin stores down, just so I could shop.
    If you need a bird, I could get it chopped,
    Tell me what chu need, you know I get em by the flock.
    I call my homie Black, meet me on the Avvve.
    I hit Wash. Heights with the money in the bag.
    We into big spendin', you see my pimpin' never drag,
    Find me with different women that you niggas never had.
    For those who say they know me, know I'm focused on my green
    Playa you come between, you better focus on the beam.
    I keep it so mean, the way you seen me lean,
    And when I say Im hot, my **** this is what I mean

[chorus:]
    This is why Im hot
    This is why Im hot
    This is why Im hot
    [x2]
    I'm hot cuz im fly,
    You ain't cuz you not,
    This is why Im hot
    I'm hot cuz im fly,
    This is why I'm hot.

[verse 3:]
    This is why im hot, shorty see the drop
    Asked me what I paid, and I say yeah, I paid a guap.
    And then I hit the switch, that take away the top,
    So chicks around the way, they call me Creame of the Crop.
    They hop in the car, I tell em “All aboard”
    We hit the studio, they say they like how I record.
    I gave em Black Train and I Did You Wrong,
    So everytime I see them, they tell me that's their song.
    They say I'm the bomb,
    They love the way the charm,
    Hangin from the neck, and compliments the arm,
    Which compliments the ear, then comes the gear,
    So when I hit the room, the shorties stop 'n stare.
    Niggas start to hate, rearrange they face,
    But little do they know, I keep them thangs by waist
    Son I reply, nobody got to die,
    Similar to Lil' Weez cuz I got the fire.

[Chorus:]
    This is why Im hot
    This is why Im hot
    This is why Im hot
    [x2]
    I'm hot cuz im fly,
    You ain't cuz you not,
    This is why Im hot
    I'm hot cuz im fly,
    You hate cuz you not (MIMS!)
    This is why I'm hot.
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited April 2007
    Music does not influence anyone. Hip Hop and the artist that make it do not influence anyone!
    Now excuse me while I put on some Ted Nugent and naw on this raw liver.
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • jabrax
    edited April 2007
    Demiurge - WOW!!! - Much respect for your opinions (even tho i disagree, i do respect)

I can't fully respond to the post right now, at work and will take my slow **** too long type, edit, retype lol.

I will say this now and expand on later - maybe.

Your peception of minority and majority are backwards. I do understand how your perceptions could be drawn based on the background you present. (THAT perception I believe is what the TRUE black majority has a problem with). Somehow the bad pockets in inner cities is what people associate with all black people... natural I guess being that is what makes headlines or whatever...black middle class usually not in the news.)

Stereotypes = ultra truthes (in there lies a huge problem in my opinion) especially if you don't consider the source. Remember stereotypes tend to have some hints of "truths to them,", but decisions based on stereotypes built perceptions is what pushes predujuce across the racist line. Honestly guys/gals, you see me (black man) drive through your neighborhood, how many of you call the cops? LOL - gotta keep it relaxed - Up until this point never said I was black, but I'm sure most assumed :)

Bill Cosby - Funny how different races (most probably) view his comments. White hears one thing (all black people, blacks hear another (problem areas in certain black communities).....(fascinating)

Love this thread, really wish I could meet you guys to break bread and talk ****
    Center - Polk LSIC
    Sub - DSWPRO600
    Blue Ray - PS3
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Your peception of minority and majority are backwards.

I can't wait to hear how you explain this one cause I think Demi is right on the mark.
    Stereotypes = ultra truthes (in there lies a huge problem in my opinion) especially if you don't consider the source. Remember stereotypes tend to have some hints of "truths to them,", but decisions based on stereotypes built perceptions is what pushes predujuce across the racist line.

Stereotypes don't have "some hint of 'truths to them'" they are very, very true. . . many have just been exagerated past the truth so I don't think it is accurate to say "some hints of truth."
    Bill Cosby - Funny how different races (most probably) view his comments. White hears one thing (all black people, blacks hear another (problem areas in certain black communities).....(fascinating

Love this thread, really wish I could meet you guys to break bread and talk ****

It doesn't just come to Bill Cosby and whites hearing one message and blacks hearing another. When a Liberal politician speaks, the liberals hear one thing the conservatives hear another. That is the way humanity is. . . preconceived notions lead to hearing messages differently.

Yea Bro I thought you were a black dude and was glad of it so I could hear an opinion other than a white guy's on this topic.

Yes Bro you will break bread with the local Polkies when we have our next get together to BS about the universal language, MUSIC!!! To listen to the universal language on some good gear, to argue about if analog is better than digital, to compare the gear that plays the universal language, MUSIC!!!:)
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    Hehe, currently I live nest door to about the two extremes of the black community. Across the street the guy owns his own business, has a nice house, 2 cool little kids, as friendly as can be.

My neighbor on the other side lives in his house 20 days a year so he can collect retirement from PA and MA states as he claims residences in both, his yard is crap, he has a freaking dirt pile that's been sitting there for 18 months that will be permanently picked up "next week". Weeds have taken over the yard, etc...

These two FIGHT every time the one guy comes around and it's hilarious to watch. "You've become whitey, don't opress me!" (Yes, and actual quote from their more recent argument). I can't even talk to the slacker guy because, well, I don't think he speaks English (or at least a version I understand) and all I get is him lecturing me on something... (how the government is **** him, how I'm **** him, how nobody gets his issues, etc...) rather than acting like a neighbor.

Anyways, neither here nor there, but I think the comparison is very interesting.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited April 2007
    I am so confused, the link in the first post is of some guy cutting off his wanker in front of a bunch of people.

"And then there’s the corrosive effect of hip-hop music. I enjoy a lot of it, but after hearing three tracks I have an urge to slap a ho. That can’t be healthy, especially for the ho."