22 Dead at VT

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited April 2007 in The Clubhouse
070416_shooting_hmed_8a.h2.jpg

BREAKING NEWS
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 2 minutes ago
BLACKSBURG, Va. - At least 22 people were killed Monday in a shooting rampage on the Virginia Tech campus, police said. They said the gunman was among the dead.

In addition to those killed, officials said at least 28 people were wounded
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2007
    I hate stories like this.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2007
    What the hell is going on???? How does someone get that sick to do something like that?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2007
    I thought I had mis-heard that. Just horrible.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2007
    Too much Rainbow Six / Gears of War / Halo / etc. ????????

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    HTrookie wrote: »

If that were true I was due for my rampage about 10 years ago.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007

Don't start that ****. I played a lot of Mario Bros as a kid, I haven't ever eaten mushrooms or pounded bricks with my fist.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited April 2007

If he did it with a chainsaw then id say GoW.

If he did it with a sniper rifle then id say Rainbow Six.

If he did it with an assault rifle then id say Halo.

We need to know his weapon of choice to determine the cause.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Don't start that ****. I played a lot of Mario Bros as a kid, I haven't ever eaten mushrooms or pounded bricks with my fist.

Okay, that's almost sig worthy...

LOL!!!!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited April 2007
    That sucks, I wonder what really set the guy off?

Anyone want to place bets on the shooters profile?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • BaggedLancer
    edited April 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »

Wish I could say the same.....:rolleyes:

Err ya, i've never done anything stupid like that.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »

White male, single, nice guy, but quiet. Everyone is so surprised.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited April 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »

Male age 18-30

between 5'2" and 6'3"

125-275 pounds

lightish-dark hair

Black trench coat

Single, broke up with the GF last night.

That's my guess.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited April 2007

All those games have opponents who shoot back plus your goal is to stay alive and get to the next level.

Now for some Diana Krall to make the world right again.
  • cindy100
    cindy100 Posts: 256
    edited April 2007
    I have it on MSNBC right now and they just played a clip from a guy who was says he was shot. He says the shooter was Asian in his 20's.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2007

Damn HT... I guess if you go with that philosophy, you might want to stay away from this crazy **** that's been in Iraq!:eek: (I've played the real deal)

I'm giving you a fair warning before the PF...

Mike;)

I wonder WTF is going through someone's head when they do something totally crazy like this? Unbelievable...
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited April 2007
    Why are the cops just standing around while there are all these gunshots going off (in camera phone video)? How could this guy kill so many people before anyone disarmed him? He had to reload to shoot and injure that many people. No one (cops, students, etc.) tried to take him down while he was reloading?
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • AndyGwis
    edited April 2007
    Also, the two shootings were hours apart. No one could catch the guy in 2-hours? They couldn't shut down campus in 2 hours? WTF? After the first shootings, this thing should've been over.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2007
    I can tell you from first hand experience that countless of hours of playing Rainbow 6 definitely affected how I handled my shooting at work. There was a sense of detachment about it as though I were only playing a game. Very surreal.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    It would be a different outcome if law abiding citizens, teachers, and other faculty, etc. had the option to carry a firearm on them. Doesn't mean everyone would have one, but there would be a chance someone might. That's better than no chance at all, which is what you have when one maniac has all the power. You are at the mercy of animals like this.

LEOs usually aren't stopping crime. They are responding to the aftermath. Rarely are they involved in standoffs, and even then it's usally too late. Getting into a building when a maniac is firing at random isn't easy.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    No one tried to take him down while he was reloading?

? shock ? fear ? self preservation ?

If someones shooting I'm running. If my kids are around I'm a sheild.
  • AndyGwis
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, but if it wasn't so easy for American's to get guns, then this probably wouldn't have happened, either. This **** doesn't seem to happen in places like England because it's harder to get firearms there.

I think putting more guns in the world means more people with have means to kill others if/when they "snap."

I'm playing devil's advocate. Can't blame teachers/students for not carrying.
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited April 2007
    what a crap way to start a week.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, but if it wasn't so easy for American's to get guns, then this probably wouldn't have happened, either. This **** doesn't seem to happen in places like England because it's harder to get firearms there.

I think putting more guns in the world means more people with have means to kill others if/when they "snap."

I'm afraid to respond to this because I don't want to get heated / have this thread shut down. But criminals are always going to have guns. Law-abiding citizens should be able to defend themselves. It's that simple.

This kind of thing doesn't happen in England for a lot of reasons. There are cultural differences between here and there beyond just gun ownership, good and bad. The entire UK only has 20% of our population, which also helps these kind of incidents be not as frequent.

Just remember, an armed citizen could save your life.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007

So this guy wouldn't go on a rampage if he couldn't get a gun? Don't buy it.

I wonder how Al Qaeda could have killed all of those people without guns....

This doesn't happen every day here or anywhere else, and yes, places where citizens are actually allowed to exercise their right to keep and bear arms have reduced crime rates.

Does that mean that this would have been prevented? No, but there's a hell of a lot better chance that the death toll wouldn't be 29 (currently) right now. I have a ton of respect for the LEO community, of which many friends are a part of, but even they will tell you they can't stop what already happend, yet they get blamed.

Criminals are by and large cowards. Maniacs like this go in with having nothing to lose. If it wasn't a gun it would be a bomb or whatever. Want to ban fertilizers too?

So, I must ask, why are you so comfortable with LEOs having guns, but you don't want the potential victims of crime being able to have the right defend themselves if they choose?
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2007
    I can tell you from first hand experience that countless of hours of playing Rainbow 6 definitely affected how I handled my shooting at work. There was a sense of detachment about it as though I were only playing a game. Very surreal.

Wow, that's a very interesting comment. Now imagine someone slightly crazier than yourself :p getting hold of a gun and firing away. Same sense of detachment, I suppose. That's scary.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited April 2007

Guys, this is breaking news. Isn't it a little early to put the blame on everyone else except the gunmen themselves.... :confused:
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2007
    Right now I could give a rats **** about video games, gun laws or whatever....

By all accounts 21 innocent students and/or school employees are dead. Many more are wounded...some seriously. My prayers are with the families of those people. I have two daughters who are in class right now on another university campus...It could have been them. Thank God it wasn't.

I am sick an tired of the criminals and sick indivduals that are allowed on our streets. Just recently I witnessed firsthand the brutality, depravity and lack of any respect for life by some animals that roamed our town. They carjacked a young couple that attended our church . For two days after, they raped, brutalized and tortured them before killing them. They forced bleach and drano into parts of their body and made them watch the other being tortured. I know the parents of the boy and I know the friends of the kids. No innocent person derserves what happened to them.

As a society, when and how do we say...WE ARE MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE?

How do we fix it? Our prisons are breeding grounds for the scum of the earth...making them better, stronger, more efficient criminals. I just don't know anymore. It makes me sick.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited April 2007
    shack wrote: »

Thank you shack
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Demiurge
    edited April 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Wow, that's a very interesting comment. Now imagine someone slightly crazier than yourself :p getting hold of a gun and firing away. Same sense of detachment, I suppose. That's scary.

Hmm, I wonder if a badge would make me feel more detatched when I go to the range...Hmmm...hmmm..hmmm..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited April 2007
    shack wrote: »

By all accounts 21 innocent students and/or school employees are dead. Many more are wounded...some seriously. My prayers are with the families of those people. I have two daughters who are in class right now on another university campus...It could have been them. Thank God it wasn't.

I am sick an tired of the criminals and sick indivduals that are allowed on our streets. Just recently I witnessed firsthand the brutality, depravity and lack of any respect for life by some animals that roamed our town. They carjacked a young couple that attended our church . For two days after, they raped, brutalized and tortured them before killing them. They forced bleach and drano into parts of their body and made them watch the other being tortured. I know the parents of the boy and I know the friends of the kids. No innocent person derserves what happened to them.

As a society, when and how do we say...WE ARE MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE?

How do we fix it? Our prisons are breeding grounds for the scum of the earth...making them better, stronger, more efficient criminals. I just don't know anymore. It makes me sick.

any ransom calls? were they caught? can you post a link to that story?