Times have really changed

Comments

• MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    I feel the same way. . . do you get the impression that some on this thread are saying we are overcompensating because of this caution we exibit?

Maybe what we consider being cautious others feel is natural. All I know is that I am more strict with my kids then my parents were. Then again, they had a boy (me) and I have girls. To me, being a girl opens a kid up to all kinds of dangers that boys don't face as often.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited December 2006
    1973 was a peak ... not a preceding valley ... Those of us who have 20+ year old children were out of college by '73

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/hmrt.htm
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    ... and while the murder rate may be more or less the same, check out the other categories ... almost every category more then twice as high as 1960 ... some 3 - 4 times higher ...
    VCR.png 60.9K
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    schwarcw wrote:
    Every day is a good day when your alive and have good health! Chill, love your family, smell the roses and enjoy the music.
    Screw that...I hate the smell of roses!!!!;)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2006
    ND13 wrote:
    Screw that...I hate the smell of roses!!!!;)

LOL!
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    MSALLA wrote:
    Maybe what we consider being cautious others feel is natural. All I know is that I am more strict with my kids then my parents were. Then again, they had a boy (me) and I have girls. To me, being a girl opens a kid up to all kinds of dangers that boys don't face as often.

I'll tell you what Mike, when my two boys came out with the stem on their apples I was happier than a pig in slop . . . no girls for me thank God. I watched a couple of buddies of mine who had all girls loose their hair early, have heart conditions, show up drunk in the middle of the night, keep baseball bats by the front door when young men would come a calling etc etc etc.

Nothing against Daddy's little girls, but I don't have the temperment to deal with those problems. . . God knows that, that is why He gave me boys.:D
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 915
    edited December 2006
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zombie boy 2000
    You guys want to go throw rocks at cars?

Hell yea... We always threw **** at cars/houses and ran like hell jumping fences and acting like kids. We had BB -guns, sling -shots, and treehouses. How many times you guys ran hide from the cops??:p
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2006
    "How many times you guys ran hide from the cops??"
    No comment
    "sometimes a no comment is more incriminating than a comment" the song remains the same
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited December 2006
    Ben,
    I think Liberty's point (when taken into consideration with his age) is that this sort of behavior has always gone down. My wife and I get such a kick out of hearing the stories that our fathers and their fathers have to tell. From what I can gather, delinquency seemed a bit more rampant back then -- and probably was tolerated a bit more, as well.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • ben62670
    edited December 2006
    Yes Yes No and No I used to get Beat down if I was bad, now kids just talk back, you can't whoop them you'll get arrested for endangerment of a minor/child abuse(not all of them for those who like to contradict everything I say!) :-)
    I'm older than you Zboy!, and Allmost as young as Liberty!
    Snow balls, berries, assorted fruits, eggs. Not rocks

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/vagetab.htm
    They should change the name to usdoBS
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    ben62670 wrote:
    the song remains the same

Led Zepplin 1976
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    Ben,
    I think Liberty's point (when taken into consideration with his age) is that this sort of behavior has always gone down. My wife and I get such a kick out of hearing the stories that our fathers and their fathers have to tell. From what I can gather, delinquency seemed a bit more rampant back then -- and probably was tolerated a bit more, as well.

I don't think delinquency was more rampant back then, I think the nature of delinquency has changed and that change has become more life threatening or just plain dangerous.

Back to Liberty's point. . . we used to out at night and the first thing we would do was to "get a chase." A "chase" was where we would do something either in the presence of a cop or just wait for the cop to arrive and then scatter in every direction and the cops would give chase. It became a ritual. Hell the cops even started playing along with us. Although sometimes they would get pist of and beat the hell out of the one(s) caught.

I'll never forget this one cop his name was Charlie Trophi. . . he rode an old HOG of a bike that had a suicide stick on it. One time during a chase, I ran through an alley and folllowed me, I squeezed between two houses, he was still there but the coup de gras was I ran down a flight of concrete steps (about 20 in all) and there he was on the bike riding the steps. By then I was winded and he grabbed a hold of me and of couse I took a beatin'. Beaten notwithstanding it was still fun.

Some might say don't you feel guilty taking the police away from real crime wasting time on your pranks. . . where I lived although a rough area the violent crime or robberys and things of that natue were pretty low.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    I'll tell you what Mike, when my two boys came out with the stem on their apples I was happier than a pig in slop . . . no girls for me thank God. I watched a couple of buddies of mine who had all girls loose their hair early, have heart conditions, show up drunk in the middle of the night, keep baseball bats by the front door when young men would come a calling etc etc etc.

Nothing against Daddy's little girls, but I don't have the temperment to deal with those problems. . . God knows that, that is why He gave me boys.:D

To give you an idea. I'm 36, High blood pressure and seem to be loosing my hair. I love them to death but I worry about them. getting them involved in dance classes and swimming has been a big help. Between school and practices they don't have much time for getting into trouble.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    MSALLA wrote:
    To give you an idea. I'm 36, High blood pressure and seem to be loosing my hair. I love them to death but I worry about them. getting them involved in dance classes and swimming has been a big help. Between school and practices they don't have much time for getting into trouble.

When the boys start banging your door down for them, answer the door holding a number 36 bat resting on your shoulder and keep it with you the whole time while you acting very polite and cool to them. This is the one that my best friend uses. His two girls are 13 & 15. Ugh that must be hell having all those little horney **** coming to the house acting all mature and cool and you knowing that all they are thinking with are their peckers. . . mmmmm no wonder I know so much about this, it is because that's what I was like at 15!!!
  • ben62670
    edited December 2006
    Don't worry M the government stats say that they are much safer than when we were thier age. And if you can't trust polititions who can you trust?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2006
    I'm just surprised that all you "old" wise men who obviously have it over us "dumb" young guys don't concede, that maybe, just maybe, when you yourselves were young and "dumb" you have might have been a little naive of the world around you and now with age are looking to the past with slightly rose colored glasses.
    Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

I'm sure 30 years from now I'll feel the same way about the world as you do now. I'm just not totally convinced that the 20 year old version of me would agree with the 50 year old version of me. Sure times change... but more importantly, so do our perceptions.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    I'm just surprised that all you "old" wise men who obviously have it over us "dumb" young guys don't concede, that maybe, just maybe, when you yourselves were young and "dumb" you have might have been a little naive of the world around you and now with age are looking to the past with slightly rose colored glasses.
    Naive ? ... You mean like you are now ? ... I'm sure we were or at least more so then ... But believe it or not us old folk ( where's my walker and hearing aid ) can read the statistics like those I posted in reply to yours and you chose to ignore or at least not comment on ergo the reason why for the most part children should be seen and not heard.
    PhantomOG wrote:
    I'm sure 30 years from now I'll feel the same way about the world as you do now. I'm just not totally convinced that the 20 year old version of me would agree with the 50 year old version of me. Sure times change... but more importantly, so do our perceptions.
    - If the 50 year old version of you agrees with the 20 year old version of you then the time spent in between was a waste ...
    - I have no idea whether the world will be a better or worse place 30 years from now unless of course it continues along the path it's on ...
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    Naive ? ... You mean like you are now ? ... I'm sure we were or at least more so then ... But believe it or not us old folk ( where's my walker and hearing aid ) can read the statistics like those I posted in reply to yours and you chose to ignore or at least not comment on ergo the reason why for the most part children should be seen and not heard.

What's to ignore and who's doing the ignoring? The chart you linked showed that the homicide rate now is about equal to what it was in utopian 1960, with a spike in the 70's-90's. And yet we are still getting the earful about how much worse the world is today. Or better yet calling the stats wrong just because somehow somewhere something bad happened today and it made the news.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    You report like well a reporter, which in todays world is anything but reporting ...

The proof of your ignoring is in your post ...

Perhaps you should check the rest of the chart ... again ...

1960 was hardly a utopia ... As far as I'm aware utopia has never existed on this planet and it's not likely to any time soon ... You want utopia ? ... Go to Zatar ...
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    1960 was hardly a utopia ... As far as I'm aware utopia has never existed on this planet and it's not likely to any time soon ... You want utopia ? ... Go to Zatar ...

Which has been my point all along. In response, I'm met with stereotypical generalizations about how kids today are dumber, fatter, lazier, and more prone to be a victim of a crime, all with "society" going down the tubes. If all you want is to find evil, you will find plenty of examples to fill your mind and justify these one-sided generalizations. However, there is plenty of good out there as well, and by ignoring it you do society and yourself a disservice. You could just as easily fill out a list of good things today that were impossible 30 years ago, however, no one wants to hear that, as clearly seen by the responses seen here.

As someone who is multiracial/minority myself, I can tell you for damn sure that I would much rather be living in 2006 rather than in 1960.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Again ... We aren't talking about generalizations ... we're talking about STATISTICS ... It's not about what I want to find ... What I'd like to find is that I'm wrong and we are living in utopia ... Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case.

Good things that were impossible 30 years ago ? ... Things that are good and bad typically transcend time ... Technological advances are neither necessarily good nor bad ... What "things" are you referring to ?

With regards to your multiracial/minority comment ... I'm sure ... In todays world it's minority rule ... Lord help you if you are in the majority ...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2006
    Crimes are probably just reported more now since everybody has a cell phone in their pocket.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Oops ... How silly of me ... That must be it ... A clear indication of where a technological advance has contributed to the apparent downfall of society that really isn't there ...
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    I AM talking about generalizations, there are more in this thread that you can shake a stick at.

Who do you think is more likely to report the crime -- a woman raped in 1960 or a woman raped in 2006? Same question with children and molestation.

I do not agree with affimative action or quotas, but you are kidding yourself if you think racism/race relations haven't improved since 1960.

Oh, and I think your period button is broke. :D
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Ok ... I get it ... You quote statistics that go back as far as 1973. Then when those are shown to be relatively short term and other statistics are provided, then statistics in general are meaningless ...

As my father would have said ... Figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure ...

Where I lived, I wasn't aware there were any race issues in 1960. Black, white, green, purple was all the same to me and to those I knew at the time. The issues you refer to were much more likely to have occured closer to your neighborhood then mine and didn't really reach national focus until incidents like some idiot trying to bar some student's ability to go onto a college campus somewhere.
  • PhantomOG
    edited December 2006
    you don't get it. I'm saying those things are "good" things. I never said the statistics are meaningless. Check out the dates in the original post. I've been saying all along things are different, not better or worse.

Figures don't lie? Tell that to the crowd that is saying the numbers are somehow fudged or that the numbers don't mean anything because the evening news still has fodder, not me. I'm the one who has been posting statistics and getting back the crappy anecdotal rebuttals.
  • PolkWannabie
    edited December 2006
    Not from me you haven't ... and you are still choosing to ignore or explain away the statistics I posted ... You can't have it both ways ...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited December 2006
    News flash.....The FBI reported today that violent crime is up 3 percent this year.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    edited December 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    News flash.....The FBI reported today that violent crime is up 3 percent this year.

LOL, I love your long winded explainations of the way of the world!:D