October: **** & **** History Month

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    This debate is still going on huh? Did we make any progress? Someone bring me up to date? Is the school dist still not responding to parents concerns?
    When is the next school board meeting, and how many parents are going to be there? and did Jenny have Marks brothers ex boyfriends love child? Or was is a dream again? :p

Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood a little bit in this thread. Carry on. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2006
    Anybody watch the season premier of the The Office? Hilarious.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Anybody watch the season premier of the The Office? Hilarious.

Watched the unedited version three weeks ago. Sooo much worse/funnier than the one shown on the air.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Well why didn't you just say you were a ****?!:D

I know, too bad I'm trapped in a guys body or I'd be trying to make you forget your housemate! ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2006
    Don't mind me, just checking in to see if the problem had been solved, or there was any consensus.

Carry on. :)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    I know, too bad I'm trapped in a guys body or I'd be trying to make you forget your housemate! ;)

WAAAAAAAAAAA! :D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Watched the unedited version three weeks ago. Sooo much worse/funnier than the one shown on the air.

How do you get the unedited version?
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited September 2006
    :o
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Don't mind me, just checking in to see if the problem had been solved, or there was any consensus.

Carry on. :)

Well, I think I can, with confidence, speak for the majority of the posters when I say resolutely that ....
    ....uhm........what's this thread about again ?
    Sal Palooza
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    who hijacked this thread? ONe thing we can agree on is to not hijack someone's thread... start your own The Office thread please.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited September 2006
    I think we need to breed this thread with the World War III one, and see what vile progeny it doth spew out from its wretched womb.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    who hijacked this thread? ONe thing we can agree on is to not hijack someone's thread... start your own The Office thread please.

See ! Once again, I'm right !!! :rolleyes:
    Sal Palooza
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    How do you get the unedited version?

I've got connections in HW...

DB: It actually relates to the topic at hand as the episode mentioned was about the treatment of **** and how it affects the workplace. Of course, it was handled with the usual tact...
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:

Download it to your iPod.
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    I've got connections in HW...

DB: It actually relates to the topic at hand as the episode mentioned was about the treatment of **** and how it affects the workplace. Of course, it was handled with the usual tact...

No one mentioned that part of their post.. and for those of us that don't watch the Office, how are we suppose to know it dealt with this topic? I have seen the Office... and I like it.. but i didn't catch it last night.

Let me throw this out for minute. Is there to many **** characters on TV now? Nearly every show has a minor **** character in it's storyline. All genre's of TV, from reality, to comedy, to drama to suspense. Good or bad or who cares?
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2006
    I dont know about too many DB, but sometimes, it does seem like they are trying too hard to a put in a **** charachter, as opposed to the existence of the charachter just being a seemless part of the story. I could be wrong on that though.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    ohskigod wrote:
    I dont know about too many DB, but sometimes, it does seem like they are trying too hard to a put in a **** charachter, as opposed to the existence of the charachter just being a seemless part of the story. I could be wrong on that though.

Agreed. IT appears that some writers are writing in a **** character just to be PC. BUt that **** character has very little to do with the storyline as a **** person. Basically, it could be any other minority in that spot and the storyline wouldn't really change.

I do enjoy having **** characters on TV of course, because it gives viewers a chance to see someone who is **** who they may not in person. Years ago most **** characters in TV and films were stalkers or killers.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited September 2006
    Polk65 wrote:
    It would make me feel kind of funny if bonds I voted for went where they were supposed to.

Nominated for quote of the day. Yesterdays quote of the day.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Skynut
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:

Let me throw this out for minute. Is there to many **** characters on TV now? Nearly every show has a minor **** character in it's storyline. All genre's of TV, from reality, to comedy, to drama to suspense. Good or bad or who cares?

Yes.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2006
    I don't know about having too many on tv, but some of the ones they do have on are so flaming that it should be insulting to the **** community.

The vast majority of **** that I have come across, you would never know until they tell you!

If they can't do it without resorting to stereotypes than they shouldn't bother at all!

Personally I don't care one way or another. It has NO impact on my entertainment or my life.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:

This is a subject that could go 100 pages and go absolutely nowhere. Nice to have a little change of subject.

I just heard about this show last night. My friend told me its kind of like the movie Office Space but a lot funnier, is this true?
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited September 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    Yes.
    We all know that you think 1 is too many.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    Agreed. IT appears that some writers are writing in a **** character just to be PC. BUt that **** character has very little to do with the storyline as a **** person. Basically, it could be any other minority in that spot and the storyline wouldn't really change.

I do enjoy having **** characters on TV of course, because it gives viewers a chance to see someone who is **** who they may not in person. Years ago most **** characters in TV and films were stalkers or killers.

Now-a-days it's priests. Not a good way to portray ****. A lot of people, and this is unfortunate, relate homosexuality to pediphilia. This is one of those subjects that I take the side of **** on. I literally hate the RC church. No offense intended to catholics here.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:

To be honest, I think that TV falls far short of reality. In a company of 250, we've got about 20 openly ****/**** workers and that's in NC which isn't exactly known for being progressive.

As noted by others, a lot of the existing writing perpetuates the stereotypes, but what sitcom doesn't? Unfortunately, a lot of the good, realistic writing (l word, six feet under, etc) are on the premiums.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Skynut
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:

I can understand how you come to that conclusion about me however, it just seems to me that there are many shows that just want to get a token **** person on board for ratings or buzz or for whatever reason.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    unc2701 wrote:
    To be honest, I think that TV falls far short of reality. In a company of 250, we've got about 20 openly ****/**** workers and that's in NC which isn't exactly known for being progressive.

As noted by others, a lot of the existing writing perpetuates the stereotypes, but what sitcom doesn't? Unfortunately, a lot of the good, realistic writing (l word, six feet under, etc) are on the premiums.

Looking at the type of work you and your company do, it wouldn't surprise me that your number is near 10%. Your field tends to be a bit more liberal and if you are openly ****, you tend to be more liberal. My field is quite a bit more conservative and we have 1 guy who may or may not be **** and that's it in a company of ~100. Of course we have never taken a poll or anything... (I am making the assumption that if you are married with multiple kids, the person is not ****)
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    we have 1 guy who may or may not be ****

Want me to send you a Gaydar kit from Sharper Image? ;)
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Looking at the type of work you and your company do, it wouldn't surprise me that your number is near 10%. Your field tends to be a bit more liberal and if you are openly ****, you tend to be more liberal. My field is quite a bit more conservative and we have 1 guy who may or may not be **** and that's it in a company of ~100. Of course we have never taken a poll or anything... (I am making the assumption that if you are married with multiple kids, the person is not ****)

Dude, WTF are you talking about? The idea that Contract Reseach and Pharamceuticals is somehow a "liberal" field is rediculous. OK, so you need an advanced degree to work here and there IS a correlation between highest degree achieved and liberal views. But by that logic, damn near every field would be "liberal" beyond the entry level.

Edit: I will grant you that there are some fields that have a liberal or conservative bend, so your work place may very well be a bit off the typical, at least in terms of openly **** individuals. 10% is usually cited, but that goes back to Kinsey's studies which had some shades of gray, and IIR 10% was the _any_ **** experience #. However, given the times, there was probably underreporting. Seems like I remember somethign from the 2000 census. I'll see what I can find.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Dude, Your a statistition, you know one data point isn't a good sample... And I would say based on your statements on current research topics that it is a VERY liberal organization. As most of the medical field is.

Seeing as about 30% of the people who work here have Ph.D.'s and over 90% have MS's, I'd declare BS on the rest of your statment as well. So WTF are you talking about?
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    unc2701 wrote:

Is there something in the water there? :p

that's right if the belief is that 10% of the population is ****. So with that small of a percentage.. why does it cause people to react the way they do... often times in negative ways?
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    I'd love to see what the real numbers are. I've heard it's anywhere between 0.1% - 10%. My guess is closer to 2-3% of the general is **** and another 2%-5% as bi.

DB: To answer your question: It is so foreign to how the rest of the population sees the world. People to have an issue with anything that challenges their own personal belief system and tend to act with revolsion.

In Saudi Arabia, our host invited us to attend the weekly public executions (or at least a location where we could "watch"). To them its normal (as normal as going to a baseball game is to us), to us its so foreign that we want no part of it.