October: **** & **** History Month

Comments

• PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2006
    hmm... **** marriage, Bush/politics, religious beliefs, evolution. We just need someone to start talking about guns and this thread will be complete! :p
  • Drumingman
    Drumingman Posts: 348
    edited September 2006
    Wow, this was just started yesterday. Does it win for most posts in a day?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2006
    ohskigod wrote:
    I'm not gonna **** about being ridiculed for.....say.....being fat and Italian.

Heeeeyyyyy I resemble that remark!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited September 2006
    The schools have been out of the three R business for decades. That's a fact.

And it shows. They need to get back to basics and stop trying to be the moral and social engineers of the country.

For all you overly sensitive types out there, here's some words of wisdom. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me. Learn that and you'll do ok.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2006
    Dispite all that, I demand the right to be able to teach my son morals and present to him what my wife and I feel are the proper views on homosexuality and not have to have an entity underhandedly force the issue by shoving it down my 9 year old's throat

I can understand a parent not being happy with the timing of a subject being taught, point taken.

Are you worried that the school is going to give misinformation about homosexuality and not provide the "proper views on homosexuality"? If you are worried about the school giving incorrect information, then you can probably accomplish more by pressing the school for more details than ranting about it on the Internet.

Maybe if a school can present facts about homosexuality and not just "views", the world could be a better place. ie that being born homosexual is a naturally ocurring event and homosexuals should not be feared, ridiculed or condemned.

I'll admit that "****/**** History Month" does sound rather odd, it leaves a lot to interpretation. I'm curious as to what specifically they want to teach.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    F1nut wrote:

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me. Learn that and you'll do ok.

You forgot the end: "Call me this, call me that, call yourself a dirty rat." and "turn it in, turn it out, turn it into saurkraut."
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited September 2006
    You forgot the end: "Call me this, call me that, call yourself a dirty rat."
    "I'm rubber.You're glue..."
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited September 2006
    Let me know when we get to do group hug part, and singin' kumbaya...

I am game.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2006
    We're all polkies here, can't we all just get along?

*hug*
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    We're all polkies here, can't we all just get along?

*hug*
    Yeah let's get along . . . YOU'RE GOING TO ADMIT I'M RIGHT OR ELSE I'M GONNA . . . :eek: :D:D:D:D
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Pee on my leg?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    I can understand a parent not being happy with the timing of a subject being taught, point taken.

Are you worried that the school is going to give misinformation about homosexuality and not provide the "proper views on homosexuality"? If you are worried about the school giving incorrect information, then you can probably accomplish more by pressing the school for more details than ranting about it on the Internet.

Maybe if a school can present facts about homosexuality and not just "views", the world could be a better place. ie that being born homosexual is a naturally ocurring event and homosexuals should not be feared, ridiculed or condemned.

I'll admit that "****/**** History Month" does sound rather odd, it leaves a lot to interpretation. I'm curious as to what specifically they want to teach.

I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Troy. I've writen the answers to your questions above way earlier in the thread.

I want to make why I am upset clear even though I have stated it clearly several times in this thread.

The school district made a decision based on pressure from a special interest group to teach my child and the rest that are in the public school system a subject that is very contraversial They did it in a very sneaky way and really were not serious about it because they have nothing written about it in the 1st quarter ciriculum therefore they just wanted to appease this group by abruptly announcing that October is **** & **** History Month. There was no advanced dialog or warning whatsoever. I had to find it out from my 9 year son who along with the rest of the very young students in his school were all abuzz about it.

Now do you think they were in the school yard having an educated discussion about the G&Ls and their history. No they were not they were doing what kids that age do. Making up stories and acting as experts on a subject they know nothing about and most likely poking fun at the G&Ls. Causing that to occur is (are you paying attention Troy) REPREHENSIBLE!!! Not letting parents who may or may not have strong religious beliefs know about this in advance is REPREHENSIBLE! Deciding that they know better what moral or social stance or teaching to take and are going to teach my 9 year old about this subject is REPREHENSIBLE!

I'm not debating whether G&L is contraversial or not or whether or not it should be contraversial. I'm not saying I don't want my son to know or not know about homosexuality, I'm not afraid they are going to misinform him or make him want to be a **** guy or think it is okay to be a **** guy, none of that crap.

They caved in to a special interest group and disregarded my rights as a parent. Then presented it to the children instead of the parents through a calendar.

A lot of people are bitching about their rights being stomped on because they are **** but refuse to acknoweldge that I have a right to teach my son about the social issues in this country and to pass on to him my morals which are very very excellant. I am a conservative white Christian man who loves this country and what it stands for but for some reason because I am that my rights are okay to stomp on. There is a lot of hipocrasy here.

This thread was not started to discuss **** rights or problems. And Troy you are correct I do have an agenda . . . I am pist off at how the Philadelphia school district handled this situation and here is a news flash they are now trying to sweep it under the rug. Why is my stance on this so hard to swallow?
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    HI:

There is some posted info on the web about PA's push for this. Unfortunately they just give reccomended ages, duration's of coursework, and a basic descriptions of what's taught. No real descriptions. They pulled the same stuff over here and they pulled it back out after parents objected.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    HI:

There is some posted info on the web about PA's push for this. Unfortunately they just give reccomended ages, duration's of coursework, and a basic descriptions of what's taught. No real descriptions. They pulled the same stuff over here and they pulled it back out after parents objected.

They are recoiling here also. It is a damned shame that they did it this way because they really FFFFFF###CCCC'ed it up.

If they would have gone about it a different way then I for one would have been more open to it.

Joe
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2006
    A lot of people are bitching about their rights being stomped on because they are **** but refuse to acknoweldge that I have a right to teach my son about the social issues in this country and to pass on to him my morals which are very very excellant. I am a conservative white Christian man who loves this country and what it stands for but for some reason because I am that my rights are okay to stomp on. There is a lot of hipocrasy here.

This thread was not started to discuss **** rights or problems. And Troy you are correct I do have an agenda . . . I am pist off at how the Philadelphia school district handled this situation and here is a news flash they are now trying to sweep it under the rug. Why is my stance on this so hard to swallow?

Its hard to swallow because I don't think anybody has really taken away your rights to teach your son or your right to share your morals with him.

Now, if your son had never heard of a homosexual before, and the words had never been uttered in your house, then I could see how you would feel encroached upon because you would need to communicate the subject with your son possibly before you or he are ready to.

I still need more info about what exactly they want to tell these kids. Are you saying that a specific special interest group entity got the school board to do this, or are you speaking more generally, as in the homosexual community got them to do this?
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2006
    poo nuggets
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited September 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    hmm... **** marriage, Bush/politics, religious beliefs, evolution. We just need someone to start talking about guns and this thread will be complete! :p
    Nuke the ****, unborn, illegal immigrant, moslem baby whales!

X2&Even over and out........
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited September 2006
    I am staying away from this one although I have much to add, but, what I want to know is, did god, if there is a god, create homosexuality or did it evolve over time....
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team
  • PolkThug
    edited September 2006
    univera wrote:
    what I want to know is, did god, if there is a god, create homosexuality or did it evolve over time....

LMAO!

Instant classic! :D:D:D That's at least worth 8 pages worth of discussion.:)
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited September 2006
    PhantomOG wrote:
    Please, please, please just answer me this one question. You say you only want the same rights and privledges, and will stand up against (and rightly so) those who want to take your rights with respect to marriage, but how can you not see your hypocrisy when you are completely ok with the school district taking away rights from parents who want to handle this issue at home, under their direct supervision, when they think their children are ready??
    In this thread, you've seen 3 **** people say that the way the school board approached the issue was wrong. I'm not going to condemn the subject matter though because there's nothing that's been mentioned about the CONTENT the board wanted to cover. When I see specifics, I'll get my panties all wound up with the rest of you......not until.

I can also guarantee you that if this change to the Philadelphia school cirriculum was "the **** community trying to GET the straight community" you'd hear about it on the national news with protests or other stuff before you'd hear about it from someone here on Polk.com. I'm not going to create blame on the **** community for something being put on a calendar. If you think that all it would take for a month to be created to cover the topic is for a **** person to just say "do it" then you're out of your mind.
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Thank you for perfectly proving my point! This kind of statement is okay, but if reversed, you'd be condemned for hate speech.
    You're comparing ****'s actually being attacked and/or killed for being **** with a clearly sarcastic scenario (unless you can tell me about a case where someone straight was killed just for being straight by a **** peron)? HUGE difference.....
    Now I ask you Brett and all you other **** fellows and supporters out there do you think I was mistreated and caused to become destitute because I have a mental illness? Are the mentally ill held to a different standard than "normal" or even **** folks?
    Your situation was absolutely handled poorly. The Social Security department is a poorly run system, and that's a known problem that should be resolved.
    Dispite all that, I demand the right to be able to teach my son morals and present to him what my wife and I feel are the proper views on homosexuality and not have to have an entity underhandedly force the issue by shoving it down my 9 year old's throat therefore forcing me to spend a lot of time explaining instead of doing homework with him which alreadys take four hours a night.
    Again, I've conceded (SEVERAL TIMES) that the age might be a little too young, but kids ARE either experiencing first hand, or hearing about things from their friends and often times well before the parents think to actively chime in.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Brett, you just proved my point again. You say one thing about a hetero sexual white male and its sarcastic. You say the EXACT same statement back except change the person to a ****/black/latino and it's wrong and people blow up about it. My point is that if it is WRONG for ONE group, it is WRONG for ALL groups. You shouldn't get special treatment. Also, this summer a (presumably) straight kid was killed by a group of **** kids in NY for that very reason (they said he had teased them though, so I guess its ok...). For some reason it didn't make national news... :rolleyes:

As for the national news thing, remember intelligent design? It became national news AFTER it was put into the school by special interests.
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Now, if your son had never heard of a homosexual before, and the words had never been uttered in your house, then I could see how you would feel encroached upon because you would need to communicate the subject with your son possibly before you or he are ready to.
    ^^^This is a good point.....Joe, you said you have 2 **** brothers and 2 **** cousins. Have you ever talked to your son about **** people? It's NEVER been a topic of discussion?
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    James, I'm sure you're bright enough to distinguish between something ACTUALLY happening, and something that's being reversed to make a point.

I'll gladly post a picture of me with my scalp sewn back shut because it was split open by a chunk of asphalt from a group of people who attacked me for being **** if that's what you need to believe that **** are attacked for being ****, and not in theory.

Edit: To your revised point, I'm not excusing anyone for attacking someone based on sexual orientation/race/etc, which is different from you trying to use it to justify one angle...
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Yes Brett, I am. I commend you for taking things extremely out of context though... (the original context was what groups it was OK to mock in public, remember your comments on that?) Can't you figure out that if it's wrong to attack people for being ****, it might be wrong for them being attacked because their not? Verbally or physically...

Blacks/whites/latinos/asians are also physically attacked only for the color of their skin as well. Is your pain more special?
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    I never said it was ok to mock anyone. Someone else made that comment. I said people should be attacked for not being ****?
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    In this thread, you've seen 3 **** people say that the way the school board approached the issue was wrong. I'm not going to condemn the subject matter though because there's nothing that's been mentioned about the CONTENT the board wanted to cover. When I see specifics, I'll get my panties all wound up with the rest of you......not until.

I can also guarantee you that if this change to the Philadelphia school cirriculum was "the **** community trying to GET the straight community" you'd hear about it on the national news with protests or other stuff before you'd hear about it from someone here on Polk.com. I'm not going to create blame on the **** community for something being put on a calendar. If you think that all it would take for a month to be created to cover the topic is for a **** person to just say "do it" then you're out of your mind.

You've completely side stepped the question. No one has answered my question and it appears no one will.

Condemn the subject matter? Let me see if I can explain this again. Up until recently, public schools were a place US citizens could send their children to learn basic math, science, reading, etc. skills paid for by their tax dollars. However, now we find a 9 year old sent home with a calendar declaring October as "**** & **** History" month. Without even taking a step further, they have already crossed the line, PERIOD. In what way does someone's sexual orientation need to be discussed in a classroom full of K-12 public school students??? It doesn't. It is not relevant and infringes upon the rights of parents to deal with the subject matter as they see fit. Teach tolerance? How about teaching it broadly and leaving the sex talk at home for mom and dad? Why is that so hard to accept???

We're not talking about ignoring children who are asking why that kid in is class has skin color darker than his, or why that boy is so much bigger than all the others, or why that little girl is in a wheel chair. Those subjects are being covered and deservedly so.

I know my morals/beliefs are different than yours. Mine tell me that SEXUAL ORIENTATION (not sex ed, which can almost be clumped in with simple biology of the human body) should be handled outside of the classroom. Who are you to tell me my morals are wrong and yours are right??? Why are you OK with taking away my rights to handle this NON-ACADEMIC subject at home???? Teach kids to be tolerant of everyone's differences.

I don't give a flip about who put it on the calendar. Regardless, it was wrong in my eyes.

You can go on and on all you want about kids today and how they are losing their innocence at younger ages. Do you know why?? Because of poor parenting. Not because of poor schooling. Introducing SEX101 into public schools isn't going to fix the problem, its only going to make it worse. I'm sorry that you have been discriminated against, but taking away my rights won't fix the problem. You want your kids to learn about sexual orientantion in schools? You send them to the private school and mandate your script to them. Leave the public schools out of it.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited September 2006
    "Most people who have ever met me in person would never know that I'm ****."

I could tell....I have ****-dar:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • brettw22
    edited September 2006
    If you're under the impression that the only thing that kids are learning in school is what's being taught from their textbooks, you're wrong. Social interraction, coping skills, learning about others, etc are things that kids are also learning (as much as you'd like to deny this).

Ok....again.....THE SCHOOL BOARD WAS WRONG.......THE SCHOOL BOARD WAS WRONG.....clear?

Even upping the age range to 12, you're saying your rights are actually removed/eliminated/abandoned with regard to your child if the school talks about SOMETHING (unknown) ****/**** related? What if Bobby's parents feel it's ok. Are Bobby's parents out to get you too? Is your comfort level the guide on what Bobby's parents are comfortable with?

I'm not going to adress the subject matter again with you. You go ahead and keep creating whatever worst case scenario you need to sleep easier with your arguement.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    I never said it was ok to mock anyone. Someone else made that comment. I said people should be attacked for not being ****?

I thought it was you with the comment that "**** are the only group that people can make fun of in public". I can't find it now, if that wasn't you, I apologize but that was what UNC's remarks were based on and showed how the quote above is completely invalid and how another group is constantly mocked. No, you never said to attack people for not being **** either. It appears that you are stating this is a one way street and that you're the only target. Hate goes both ways and there are **** groups that do assault people. So you might say it was a sarcastic comment while I see it as a larger problem on the horizon.

What I find interesting about these debates/topics:
    Blacks despise hispanices because they are taking away their jobs and voting power
    Blacks/Hispanics/other non whites don't want **** to be given minority status because they feel it demeans their plight and you "can't see ****"
    **** want marriage changed from "between a man and a women" to "between two people" and are opposed to "between two or more consenting adults"
    etc....

Everygroup is trying to be the most special/abused and say that their problems are more real and important than anyone else's. Additionally, they are being just a bigotted and intolerant in their statements and slogans as the ones they are complaining about. Why can't we just teach tolerance instead of tolerance of ____whatever the group of the week is____? Wouldn't that be best?

I would have NO issue having my child learn about **** and their lifestyles as part of a bigger tolerance program for all people. I do have a problem with the age, duration, and specialization of the program being implemented/proposed.

My personal postion is as long as we continue to define minority groups and try to teach people to coddle these groups, you will have intolerence since you are focusing on an "us vs. them" stance.

Time for the company softball game.
  • PhantomOG
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    If you're under the impression that the only thing that kids are learning in school is what's being taught from their textbooks, you're wrong. Social interraction, coping skills, learning about others, etc are things that kids are also learning (as much as you'd like to deny this).

Ok....again.....THE SCHOOL BOARD WAS WRONG.......THE SCHOOL BOARD WAS WRONG.....clear?

Even upping the age range to 12, you're saying your rights are actually removed/eliminated/abandoned with regard to your child if the school talks about SOMETHING (unknown) ****/**** related? What if Bobby's parents feel it's ok. Are Bobby's parents out to get you too? Is your comfort level the guide on what Bobby's parents are comfortable with?

I'm not going to adress the subject matter again with you. You go ahead and keep creating whatever worst case scenario you need to sleep easier with your arguement.

Yes, rights are being removed. Would you have a problem with a school mandated prayer every morning? I'm not against prayer but I am against it being mandated in schools. Its not relavant to children's academic learning and shouldn't be forced in schools.

Worst case scenario? I'm not with one dreaming here. Why don't you come up with just one example of how talking about ANYTHING "(unknown) ****/**** related" will help a child academically. Yes, children learn more at school than from just textbooks, but the school does not and should not have a say in morals/beliefs beyond what is necessary to keep order and not impede any child's learning environment. You're the one dreaming up scenario's whereby you being ok with taking away my rights is somehow going to magically solve the discrimination you face. It won't. I know that you just want a more tolerant world, but you won't get there by taking away rights from others. Its wrong and extremely hypocritical.