October: **** & **** History Month

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    I'd love to see what the real numbers are. I've heard it's anywhere between 0.1% - 10%. My guess is closer to 2-3% of the general is **** and another 2%-5% as bi.

DB: To answer your question: It is so foreign to how the rest of the population sees the world. People to have an issue with anything that challenges their own personal belief system and tend to act with revolsion.

In Saudi Arabia, our host invited us to attend the weekly public executions (or at least a location where we could "watch"). To them its normal (as normal as going to a baseball game is to us), to us its so foreign that we want no part of it.

Those are the real numbers.. the best estimates are that of any culture, past, present and future.. the **** population is about 10%.

Could even be higher.. since part of the rest of the population is in the closet.. and you would never find out which team they played for. ;)

Why do you think the numbers are 2 - 3%? Is this just general oberservation on your part? Also depends on what part of the country you live in as well. Larger city.. more ****, smalller city.. less ****.

10% and that's my final offer. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2006
    Eh, I'll give you 5%. I've seen valid studies that range from <1% to 10% showing the validity of stats. Most I've seen are around the 3% range which fits my personal expereince.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2006
    Best numbers from the Census say that over 1% of households are ****- which requires there to be a person and their partner to be living together. Two **** living together that are not involved don't go into that number. One **** living by himself also does not go into that number. So that's the lowest accurate % for **** in the US. So thinking of the ones I know, I'd put the total percentage easily over 7%... but that's a small sample wild **** guess.

As for my workplace being liberal, JDH, usually you're only hearing my experience as a rebuttal to your views, so yeah, it probably sounds liberal. In truth, most of what I do is phase I -phase III clinical trials, so unless you can put a political spin on hepatic encephalophy, cancer, parkinsons, hepatitis, smallpox and/or hypertension (indications that I'm working on right now) or any particular disease or drug I don't see it. No, I had nothing to do with Plan B.

I'll find the source for the highest degree achieved, but it came up repeatedly during the last presidential election.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited September 2006
    It is a rejection of something different.
    I do not want bible thumpers knocking on my door but I don't want them dead either. I just do not care to have them try to force their views on me.
    Same thing with the **** debate. I can talk about it but I do not want it thrown in my face as was done at the school in question.
    This is why I do not watch shows like will and grace. My family gets enough homosexual exposure from just about any of the home improvement shows we watch. (Funny but home improvement show seem to be more than 10% ****)
    In the case of this thread the subject was just thrown out there for the parents to deal with.
    It would be like me walking up to a persons 5yo and explaining to them that kids are often abducted and murdered. Sure this is something kids should know at some time but who am I to decide it is time to educate this child?

How do you suppose a parent would react if someone off the street just started talking to their kid about this subject?
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    It has nothing to do with the focus of your company, just that medical fields ~ caring for others ~ more liberal. Most companies with a focus in the medical or teaching fields tends to recruit and attract more liberal people. Especially in pure research (not a "profits first" operation, makes you feel "good", etc...)

As for advanced degrees, agian it depends. If you are looking at hard, non-medical sciences, I would disagree that advanced degrees tend to lean more liberal. In engineering and business, I'd bet the further you go, the more conservative you tend to be.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2006
    If you add the number of bi-sexual females to the homosexual % total, 10% is easily surpassable.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited September 2006
    Tell me the shows y'all watch on TV and the character in it that's ****........list them all out.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • unc2701
    edited September 2006
    Let's put it this way:
    On average, it costs over half a BILLION (yes, with a "B") dollars to bring a drug to market. Their patent starts ususally with the IND (when they first start testing in humans) and lasts 20 years. Typically, it takes about 10 years to get the drug through phase III and submitted to the FDA. 99.8% of drugs tested in humans are never approved and 50% of the drugs that make it to phase III are not approved.

My company is the last step before the drug goes to the FDA. The drug company is $500,000,000 in the hole and they have 10 years or less to make all that money back.

Tell me again what sounds liberal about that?

As for the span across degrees... I don't know if any one has done that- IE asked the question of whether within a particular field, does a more advanced degree predict political affiliation. I've only seen the on average stats, so if you've got a whole lotta english profs, then yeah, that'd skew it.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:
    Tell me the shows y'all watch on TV and the character in it that's ****........list them all out.

Prisonbreak: Theodor Bagwell (aka T-bag) as a main charactor, numerous others last year (8 main charactors)
    The Office: Oscar Martinez (13 main charactors) Possibly Angela and Michael
    My Name is Earl: The first guy he helped and is a returning charactor
    The negotiator: none, but there are only really 4 charactors. only 2 episodes have aired

That's about all we watch
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    UNC: Medical reasearch tends to attract more liberal people. It has nothing to do about the company does, it's just the industry/process. Going to church tends to be something that conservatives do but there's nothing overtly conservative about going to church. See the difference? Anyways, it's off topic.
  • Skynut
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:

see below, double post.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • Skynut
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:

I usually stop watching long before I learn the names of any characters.
    In fact I watch very little television anymore (not for that reason).
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • unc2701
    edited September 2006
    lost:??? I'm drawing a blank- I thought someone was... help me out here
    Alias:None (off air now)
    Simpsons:Burn's assistant
    Family guy: ??? there might have been one episode
    Grey's anatomy: none, yet
    Desperate housewife's: Wife watches it, anyone know?
    House: None.
    Monk: None
    Entourage: Ari's assistant.
    Big love: Again, wife watches it, but I'm betting a big "NO"
  • unc2701
    edited September 2006
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    UNC: Medical reasearch tends to attract more liberal people. It has nothing to do about the company does, it's just the industry/process. Going to church tends to be something that conservatives do but there's nothing overtly conservative about going to church. See the difference? Anyways, it's off topic.

Yeah, off topic, but in pharma, it's all about money.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2006
    Not in the research side... On the business and distribution side? Most definately.
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    unc2701 wrote:
    lost:??? I'm drawing a blank- I thought someone was... help me out here
    Alias:None (off air now)
    Simpsons:Burn's assistant
    Family guy: ??? there might have been one episode
    Grey's anatomy: none, yet
    Desperate housewife's: Wife watches it, anyone know?
    House: None.
    Monk: None
    Entourage: Ari's assistant.
    Big love: Again, wife watches it, but I'm betting a big "NO"

Yeah Bree's son on Desperate Houswives is ****... i saw him in bed with another guy. Kissing and all. ;)

WHile i don't watch Greys Anatomy.. my friend says there is a **** character on there too.

Reality shows as well. Every season of Survivor, nearly ever season of The Amazing Race..

the list goes on and on.. I"m not trying to limit how many **** characters there are on TV, just seems that currently.. there are a lot written into the scripts of shows.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2006
    I think there was one on Will and Grace
  • unc2701
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    WHile i don't watch Greys Anatomy.. my friend says there is a **** character on there too.

Oh, yeah! **** bartender. Don't know if you can count that- third tier part & I think the **** aspect has only been on one episode.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited September 2006
    Basically the point being that it's a small number overall and definitely not enough to warrant the paranoid that think the ****'s are overrunning their lives.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    Shizelbs wrote:
    I think there was one on Will and Grace

Really? I never knew that.. that's the first i've heard of that. :rolleyes:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    It is a rejection of something different.
    I do not want bible thumpers knocking on my door but I don't want them dead either. I just do not care to have them try to force their views on me.
    Same thing with the **** debate. I can talk about it but I do not want it thrown in my face as was done at the school in question.
    This is why I do not watch shows like will and grace. My family gets enough homosexual exposure from just about any of the home improvement shows we watch. (Funny but home improvement show seem to be more than 10% ****)
    In the case of this thread the subject was just thrown out there for the parents to deal with.
    It would be like me walking up to a persons 5yo and explaining to them that kids are often abducted and murdered. Sure this is something kids should know at some time but who am I to decide it is time to educate this child?

How do you suppose a parent would react if someone off the street just started talking to their kid about this subject?

Hear hear! It's amazing, how at times, in this thread people got angry because I felt the need to protect my child.

Anybody have an opinion here on whether or not a School District has the right to present to children that October is **** & **** History Month without anything planned in the cirriculm about it or notifying the parents that their children are going to be coming home with a load of questions about **** & Lesbians and what their history is out of the clear blue.

See it is just that cut and dry to me and my wife.
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    Joe,

I don't think there is really any more to discuss as it pertains to you and your child.. only because we haven't heard thru you from the school district on how they plan to handle this situation.

If they bury their heads or take some kind of action.. then I think you'll get more people to respond.. we can't respond to no action being taken. first 6 or 7 pages we covered this angle of your thread.
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    Joe,

I don't think there is really any more to discuss as it pertains to you and your child.. only because we haven't heard thru you from the school district on how they plan to handle this situation.

If they bury their heads or take some kind of action.. then I think you'll get more people to respond.. we can't respond to no action being taken. first 6 or 7 pages we covered this angle of your thread.

Thanks Pal, today is Monday my wife and I put a bid in on a new home. . . will probably get back to this issue with the school by Wednesday.

Carry on!!!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2006
    Only 7 more days til these children's lives are ruined forever! What will happen??? Maybe, at the last minute the school will change October to "Pumpkin Month." :)
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    PolkThug wrote:
    Only 7 more days til these children's lives are ruined forever! What will happen??? Maybe, at the last minute the school will change October to "Pumpkin Month." :)

Why then don't we have an alien month? Those little green men need some love and recognition too ya know. ;)
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    danger boy wrote:
    Why then don't we have an alien month? Those little green men need some love and recognition too ya know. ;)

How about Alcoholics History & Understanding Month. Afterall it is a disease and the poor bastages are stigmatized, misunderstood, and discriminated against. They didn't ask to be alcoholics, they were born with it. I'm stone cold serious here.
  • danger boy
    edited September 2006
    Ok. till we hear some more from the PA school dist on what they intend to do.. i'm taking a break from this thread.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2006
    Anybody have an opinion here on whether or not a School District has the right to present [........] without anything planned in the cirriculm about it or notifying the parents that their children are going to be coming home with a load of questions about [........] out of the clear blue.

Joe I don't have anything against the schools teaching about GLBT topics. I do have a problem with public schools not revealing their full curriculum. You're in PA. I mentioned something passed by the CA legislature and sitting on the governor's desk. Here's something in MA.

First, sorry for more links to this "entertainment news" website. The only other information I could find on this is a brief article in the Boston Globe. If anyone here from Massachusetts is familiar with this please chime in.

Here is the condensed version -- Last year a Massachusetts school district was not informing parents of what they were teaching grades K-12. A parent wanted the option of knowing when certain topics would be covered so he could yank his kid out of school. While at a meeting in the superintendent's office he refused to leave and was arrested. He spent the night in jail and some months later his charges were dropped and the restraining order banning him from school grounds was lifted. Then his son was beaten up and now he's filed a federal lawsuit. I think finally there is now an opt-out option in this Massachusetts school district. Joe, keep this in mind while you get into this with your school district, I don't want you to go to jail.

Although Europe loves to bash us for being prude I think the sex ed courses are being taught a few grades too early.

2005-1123 http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47540
    "On Sept. 21 (school superintendent) Ash published a statement in the local newspaper informing the town he told teachers they have no obligation to notify parents on subjects of homosexual relationships, even in lower grades."

2006-0421 http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=49841
    (superintendent Ash)"We couldn't run a public school system if every parent who feels some topic is objectionable to them for moral or religious reasons decides their child should be removed," he said. "Lexington is committed to teaching children about the world they live in, and in Massachusetts same-sex marriage is legal."

2006-0616 http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50669
    "10 of these thug-kins grabbed David Parker's 7-year-old son, dragged him behind the corner of the school, well out of sight from school officials, and proceeded to punch him in the groin, stomach and chest, before he dropped to the ground when they then kicked and stomped on him."

The Massachusetts health/PhysEd curriculum gets kids started early!
    http://www.doe.mass.edu/frameworks/health/1999/physical.html#repro
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,667
    edited September 2006
    brettw22 wrote:

On "Gunsmoke" (the early years): his deputy, "Chester".

**** as a jaybird, but they didn't talk about it openly back then.

Why do you think he walked with a "limp" ?
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2006
    On "Gunsmoke" (the early years): his deputy, "Chester".

**** as a jaybird, but they didn't talk about it openly back then.

Why do you think he walked with a "limp" ?

My wife and I just read this and are pissing ourselves laughing.