TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2006
    Protect thyself.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2006
    I spoke to an attorney and he told me that I would lose way more money by forcing a sale in court than just losing money to her in a bad settlement.:(

I am now going to open up my Paypal account for donations....:eek: :( :eek: :(

WAH!
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited July 2006
    Wow...hard to believe that after someone signs off on a sale contract they can come back to sue you for forcing a sale.....wouldn't signing be "settling" for the sale amonunt???I'll never understand how laws work...

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited July 2006
    Here's what I'M talkin' 'bout for this thread. RIP Bob:

m_112602_bmjoint.jpg

Don't bogart that joint my friend
    Pass it over to me
    Don't bogart that joint my friend
    Pass it over to me

Roll another one
    Just like the other one
    You've been holding on to it
    And I sure will like a hit

Yeah I grew up in the late 60's. Just pass that SOB over, things have really changed in this thread since I was last here. BTW I have "seen" joints that big and I was not in Jamaica.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2006
    I think what he is saying is that the cost of going to court is much more expensive that negotiating a "less than optimal deal" (mainly HIS fees).

Negotiate a deal...with the help of the lawyers...and go from there. A court battle is not in HER best interest either. The cost of going to court to enforce a binding contract is cheaper/easier that forcing an unnegotiated sale. Once you have a contract in place, if she reneges then you are in the driver's seat and she would bear the cost of litigation.

Work it out...make sure it is legally binding...get it in writing!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited July 2006
    I will be sneaky about it. (

Golly geewillikers... I hope she doesn't happen upon this public forum. :eek:
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2006
    we got to be vewy vewy qwiet. We're hunting wabbits!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • wingnut4772
    edited July 2006
    TroyD wrote:
    we got to be vewy vewy qwiet. We're hunting wabbits!

BDT

Heh heh heh heh heh
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• wingnut4772
    edited July 2006
    shack wrote:
    I think what he is saying is that the cost of going to court is much more expensive that negotiating a "less than optimal deal" (mainly HIS fees).

Negotiate a deal...with the help of the lawyers...and go from there. A court battle is not in HER best interest either. The cost of going to court to enforce a binding contract is cheaper/easier that forcing an unnegotiated sale. Once you have a contract in place, if she reneges then you are in the driver's seat and she would bear the cost of litigation.

Work it out...make sure it is legally binding...get it in writing!
    Basically he said my only option was what's called a 'Partition Sale". Then the house is sold at auction by the courts for sometimes only 70% of the value of the home . When you consider that could be about 50k or so less than we owe...it would be cheaper just to give her my half and laugh at her when she goes to hell when she dies.:D HA.I just kidding. (but I made me laugh)I don't wish her any ill will...I just want O-U-T.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited July 2006
    With so much emotionally tied up in this relationship, if she is demanding to come out okay on this sale, you have got to appeal to the logical business side of her. The personal fealings have to be shelved by both parties to get the most out of the house and that may mean putting your HT back into full display, cinnamon bread in the oven and candles burning all over to appeal to buyers. Your house will bring what you want if shown properly. Use the tools you have both put into your house to get the most out of it.

This is beyond personal now, its strictly business, or both or you stand to lose. Just my opinion, good luck Darla.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited July 2006
    And above else, promise NOTHING other than a civil end to the relationship.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • wingnut4772
    edited July 2006
    $350.00 to send her a letter from the attorney :eek: Hopefully that will be all I need.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2006
    In the letter you should ask for a $350.00 reply from her attorney. :D
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • wingnut4772
    edited July 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    In the letter you should ask for a $350.00 reply from her attorney. :D

I just hope that she does not get her own and this becomes a War of the Roses....but I think she has.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2006
    That sucks, once the lawyers get to talking to each other any profit from the house goes to them.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited July 2006
    Consider this, they figure they should be good for a third. EACH...
  • wingnut4772
    edited July 2006
    I had a brainstorm that just might work. When she and I bought this house we did not have a contract that said should one of us desire to sell the house..it gets sold. Period. At a fair market value and if the other person doesn't like it they can buy you out.The end.

Well .....she still wants to work on this. I called my atty. to see if we can still draw up that contract . That way if she behaves great. If not, I am outta there with the contract to back me up and no stress. It just gets done without the drama. Win Win. She has agreed to this. I just think it's a terrific solution.....
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2006
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Attorneys don't like things to end nicely. They can't bill for a lot of hours that way. Each of your attorneys are probably meeting for lunch today, calculating the equity you BOTH have in the house, and dividing that number by their hourly rate. Sometimes these things don't get settled until the money is gone
    Carl

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2006
    That is just a wee bit paranoid Carl & a lot of hyperbole to boot. Not all lawyers are looking to clean you out & a good many truly want to help people.

Lawyers, have to earn a living just like everyone else, and they do come in very handy.

Unless you have a clue about what it takes to practice law, perhaps you shouldn't believe everything you see on tv about them.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited July 2006
    schwarcw wrote:
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Attorneys don't like things to end nicely. They can't bill for a lot of hours that way. Each of your attorneys are probably meeting for lunch today, calculating the equity you BOTH have in the house, and dividing that number by their hourly rate. Sometimes these things don't get settled until the money is gone

+1

Good luck wingnut!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2006
    cfrizz wrote:
    That is just a wee bit paranoid Carl & a lot of hyperbole to boot. Not all lawyers are looking to clean you out & a good many truly want to help people.

Lawyers, have to earn a living just like everyone else, and they do come in very handy.

Unless you have a clue about what it takes to practice law, perhaps you shouldn't believe everything you see on tv about them.

I know I'm exaggerating a little bit Cathy:) But, I know for a fact that these situations end much faster and cheaper when there is no money in play.

They come to an end even faster when there are no lawyers in play.

My ex and I pretty much settled our situation before we went looking for an attorney. We went to several who were horrified that we were there together and wanted to hire a "joint" attorney to write up the property settlement. Several flat out wouldn't take our case because "This is not how these things are done!" In the end it cost us about $2,000 in attorney fees. I have had more than a few friends who went through it and the property settlement was concluded only when the lawyers had most of the money.
    Carl

• wingnut4772
    edited August 2006
    Ok....Good news. We are going to a lawyer recommended by our counselor to draw up an agreement between us..so we are going to work on it and continue to see a counselor together. We have actually had a nice couple of days and I think that we learned a lot from this incident so I am hopeful going forward. Now I have to replace those HT components I sold ....deviously clever, no?;)
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2006
    After every crisis you should reward yourself with something nice, like new HT/Audio equipment! That's my theory anyway!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • wingnut4772
    edited August 2006
    dkg999 wrote:
    After every crisis you should reward yourself with something nice, like new HT/Audio equipment! That's my theory anyway!

Well then you should be proud of me because I did that and then some!:D New HT Thread
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2006
    Darla, I would wait until things are really settled before replacing anything. Otherwise you could just be repeating this whole process all over again!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • wingnut4772
    edited August 2006
    I thought about that but I will just take it all with me in that case.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• wingnut4772
    edited March 2007
    Well ladies and gents, the time has finally arrived. There was no avoiding it any longer. It's just not working out. Believe it or not, I actually got spit on as well as got called several choice names during the final 'sell the house and break up' conversation which pretty much just validated my decision.

Now, the name of the game is $$$$$$$$$ as I will need to buy something myself so you may see an item or two pop up here in the FM. I figure I can just get it all again sometime so what the heck.

The funny thing is . even though this is stressful as hell, I am happy. I feel free. I just hope this house does not take forever to sell....
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    Darla,

Don't look back!
    Don't let anything change your mind; it seems to me that this is the only way out, and that freedom feeling will pay off.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • wingnut4772
    edited March 2007
    There is NO coming back from getting spit in the face, that's for sure. It's ugly...she is beig tricky and spending money I am not approving of to fix up the house. I know she intends to take me to court for frivolous things like groceries etc. She is very vindictive....and yet I am happier now than I have been in 3 years.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited March 2007
    I can relate wingnut. My ex and I didn't buy a house together but we had a larger apartment than I would have otherwise had and I took out a loan in my name for her car, and I put her cell phone on my account, and all the bills were in my name plus several hundred in credit card debt... all this bit me in the **** when I found out the daughter I had been raising was actually someone else's... I'm finally getting to where I make more per month without overtime than I have to pay out but it's been a hard road... You have my sympathies sir! I hope things get better from here on out and I hope you learned your lesson! I know I did...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!