Post a picture... any picture

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,137
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I watched the original "Top Gun" with about 150 Navy/Marine Aviators... It was fun to hear them yelling "BULLSCHITT!!!" in unison every 45 seconds...

I watched "Saving Private Ryan" with my parents and my father said that no one ever used the F-word around him even once while he was in WWII from 1942 -1947. :p

Was he a Chaplain? I think cursing as a second language is a required course of study.... just don't do it in front of the Chaplain. o:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,106
    Options
    zmvazrqr0dap.png
    which, of course, immediately brought this​ to mind...
    bucqhreffylr.png

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,715
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    That's what fathers do when they are teaching their sons. They lie through their teeth to set a good example and raise you right. Reality is a whole other can of worms.

Tom

I was in my mid-30s by this time. What you just wrote doesn't describe my father even in the slightest.
  • Viking64
    Options
    Was he a Chaplain? I think cursing as a second language is a required course of study.... just don't do it in front of the Chaplain. o:)
    No, he wasn't a chaplain. I just assumed that that specific word wasn't in such widespread use at that time. Apparently it was. Knowing him, he probably just blocked it out.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,162
    edited January 24
    Options
    Slightly related. my grandad was taken prisoner by the Germans in WW I and while in the POW camp got appendicitis. They took him to their surgical unit and operated on him. At that time he pledged if he lived he would never swear again. He lived, and he didn't. He invented his own expletives. I can remember him calling people blaam stupid and flegging idiots.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,016
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    My wife and I recently went to Wilmington, NC for about ten days, and while there, toured the USS North Carolina Battleship. It's interesting how some things prompt a person to take a pic, but not others.

Anyway, if you're ever in the area (I know there are a few NC members here), it is well-worth your time to tour the ship. But, tall gents need not apply...the headroom below deck is limited!
    Sorry to belabor my own post, but one really cool thing about the machine shop room was that certain levers on the machines are still 'workable', so some levers can still be moved when you grab them and apply pressure. It's kind of a cool feeling to sort-of 'work' the machines. Sorry...maybe it's just me.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,426
    Options
    I was in my mid-30s by this time. What you just wrote doesn't describe my father even in the slightest.

What's funny to me (and all families are different...I am NOT confronting) is that I was 20 and staying with my Grandfather whom my Dad said "never" swore or ever uttered so much as anything resembling a "dirty" word. The reality on this was different from what my Dad stated.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone but once (only once), I even heard him say the "F" word.

Of course, Grandma wasn't around at the time.....

Times were different back then.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    Options
    USS Wisconsin.

dd6lm8cbbt8r.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    oonfp4js8o9a.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Viking64
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

What's funny to me (and all families are different...I am NOT confronting) is that I was 20 and staying with my Grandfather whom my Dad said "never" swore or ever uttered so much as anything resembling a "dirty" word. The reality on this was different from what my Dad stated.

Shhhh, don't tell anyone but once (only once), I even heard him say the "F" word.

Of course, Grandma wasn't around at the time.....

Times were different back then.

Tom

My father would say "$hit" if he was frustrated, but never in casual conversation. He never said the f-word, though. And my mother never spoke a nasty word in her life. :p All 4 of my grandparents never swore, either. (All 4 of them were born between 1897 and 1910.) Two of my brothers never swear and 2 of us do.

When I read through this forum, I sometimes start to write things that would get me banned for a month or two until I remember where I am. Curse you, tabbed browsing! HAHAHAHAHA

I remember being a teenager and my mother saying: "You're not allowed to say the word _____ in this house." That was the extent of her swearing.

My father even picked up a little German during the war. If he was really angry, he would say "SHIZEN" (sic) and if he was really, REALLY angry, he would say "SHIZEN HAUZEN" (sic). I had a German girlfriend that explained how to properly say what he mispronounced, but the addition of "HAUZEN" (instead of "haus") always made it clear he had lost his (mild) temper. :#:p
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,426
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »
    Slightly related. my grandad was taken prisoner by the Germans in WW I and while in the POW camp got appendicitis. They took him to their surgical unit and operated on him. At that time he pledged if he lived he would never swear again. He lived, and he didn't. He invented his own expletives. I can remember him calling people blaam stupid and flegging idiots.

This was commonplace (As far as my experience was, as a kid). I thought they had a speech impediment until I was old enough to figure out what was going on. When I confronted them about it? The truth came out.

In my mind, whenever they said the "code word"? It was in one ear and out the other and instantly translated into the "real" word. (My bad)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,959
    Options
    Very interesting reading, thanks for posting the stories, and pics gents, I enjoyed it..
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,524
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    USS Wisconsin.

dd6lm8cbbt8r.jpg

Where the H 3 🏒 🏒 did you get that?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    USS Wisconsin.

dd6lm8cbbt8r.jpg

Where the H 3 🏒 🏒 did you get that?

We had a couple of those bad boys anchored along the waterfront between Tacoma and Ruston WA, twin sister ships S.S. Cape Island and S.S. Cape Intrepid.
    snrbwdfqg9ra.png
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • msg
    edited January 25
    Options
    oqxfok23hbk4.jpg

Ah, yes, The Imperial Strangler of Hoth.

The story goes, the two women were Amidala's handmaidens, casually strolling this path depicted here at Higher Learning Of Hoth, and unwittingly came upon a spying Darth Vader, obscured by some shrubbery.

The women would inadvertently startle Darth, causing him to raise his arm reflexively - flinching to ward off a strike.
    You see, Darth was bullied here at Higher Learning of Hoth, the other kids making fun of his breathing, drawing pictures of him with a pug's head an' stuff. As a result, Darth suffered great social anxiety, and was painfully shy, and really just kept to himself. He fell deep into fantasy fiction reading, developing an obsession for sword fighting. Because the best sword fighters always got the girl in the end, you know? So he became really good at swords.

Anyway, in flinching and drawing up his arm in protection, a great power was awakened in Darth for the first time - the power to choke with a gesture. A power which the women would later use in the Imperial Courts to accuse Darth of assault. But really, he just panicked once discovered, thinking they were gonna beat him up.

He was let off with a stern warning due to lack of evidence, and outcast further. Amidala took pity on Darth a couple of years later after seeing him rescue some kittens in a burlap sack down by the river, and we all know how the rest of the story goes from there.

Rumor has it, at least one of his descendants lives among us on this forum. You know him. Tall, radio voice guy? Defiler if shrubbery?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,106
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    oqxfok23hbk4.jpg

Ah, yes, The Imperial Strangler of Hoth.

Rumor has it, at least one of his descendants lives among us on this forum. You know him. Tall, radio voice guy? Defiler if shrubbery?

I know that guy!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,561
    Options
    My grandmother's family were German immigrants. She was born here.
    My dad, a ww2 vet, used to swear in German, as well as English.
    I spent a year in Okinowa as a Marine. Every other word we used was
    a swear word. It was a lot of work to stop it when we came back stateside.
    We could go on several minutes without repeating a 4 letter word or phrase.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,630
    Options
    6v2goe734tf4.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,630
    Options
    ^^^ That one looks ripe for a comment from @msg! 😂

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • msg
    Options
    Haha, I got nuthin'!
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 25
    Options
    weki7ogininu.jpg

q5pnmkwrdbrh.jpg

See what I did there.... :D
  • SCompRacer
    edited January 25
    Options
    z4p5550ekzjo.jpg

The right way down....

y72fjbd7x7k8.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    Options
    DAMN!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    Options
    ar0xh3r7fga8.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    aunqm6woiocl.jpg