Polk Audio system in my boat.

1235»

Comments

• Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited February 2006
    That is a very good point but I do not beleive I will have any issues. The amp
    is completely exposed to airflow and it has a fan that blows down across the
    rails (I had the cover off) there does not seem to be any "scheme" to the
    cooling, there is no flow from what I can see. I ran the system for a couple
    hours tonight anywhere from 15 to 28 volume wise and the amp barely got
    luke warm. Granted I do not have the sub's in yet (class D section of the amp
    which shouldn't generate a ton of heat to begin with) only the AMP1 and AMP2
    side is Class A/B.

I think all will be ok.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    class d doesn't generate a ton of heat, but pushing a lot of power does, no matter the topology... just be aware that the potential for a problem exists... what i'd do is run it in the worst possible conditions (dead air, very high volume) for much longer than you'd ever run it in real life (several hours at the least), and check it often to make sure it's not overheating... if it can keep playing after this stress test, you should be fine...

the internal fan will help a lot, as will the open mounting position, but i'd still do the stress-test...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2006
    see my "sheety" drawing below.

mounting amps upside down does not affect their fundamental function... rather it causes them to overheat. the heatsink is bolted to the top of the unit, not the bottom... by having the heat sink on the bottom (and since heat rises), you are subjecting the board and everything on it, including the transistors you're trying to cool to excessive heat. mfg's may have overcome this to some extent because i've seen a few "roof mount" amps jobs, but they're usually in show cars, which i doubt get played very often... so i'm not sure... thats why i said call and ask...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    PS.... if it doesn't get hot ... dont sweat it... but.. if it does...

use the same screw holes and ptu the amp in teh same place...

unbolt it... then get some long nylon bushings, or even some 3/16" stainless steel fuel line... cut int into about 5 inch long sections. you'll need 4...

then mount the amp "normal", with some 6 inch long screws, through the feet, through the 5" long bushings, and up into your under dash area.... a "suspended in mid air" amp... kinda sweet.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    drrrr...didn't even see this page...:p

nvm...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    PBD,

It's not mounted like your drawing.. It's mounted Vertical but Upside Down
    do you get my jist? It is mounted as if you would mount it to the seat back
    in a sedan or other car install, but it's mounted with the logo the opposite way.

And it has heat sinks on both rails.

I really appreciate the precautionary warning and advice, I have never heard
    before about mounting amps upside down and never have done it before so
    I never did any research into the convection nature of the head sinks on the
    FET's but I certainly see where you are comming from. With the amp mounted
    truly upside down as per your illustration, heat soak would effect the PCB
    and probably the toroids and capacitors too.
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2006
    Red-

That should be fine.

I would not reccomend mounting anything in a suspended manner in a boat, it is a good idea but not sturdy enough for marine use.
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    HP360,

Yeah on a boat that stuff has to be bolted down fast, like nobody's buisness or
    it will soon be falling on toes...

I think I have it mounted fairly well. The bulkheads that seperate the cockpit
    footwell from the cabin are inch, maybe inch and a half thick Marine XL Ply
    and that is what I fastened the amp to. I used coarse self taping screws. I
    could "through bolt" the amp and I may if I have any problems with retention
    but I would like to skip drilling through holes in the bulkheads if I can.

Now I have to make a plexiglass bezel to mount the head unit into. I am not
    going to be able to use a marine enclosure, when the head unit is seated into
    the enclosure where it should be, the face plate hits when it lowers down
    and that is no good.

I don't think I will have any water hit the radio where it's at in the dash, it
    is well under the window glass and it's recessed in the dash. It's not the ideal
    way to go.... But I don't have any choice.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2006
    ahhh... i gotcha...

well then you've got no problems kimosabi.

however, you do realize that if you turn the kicker logo around so it is "right side up", that will increase your boat's horsepower by 15. also, adding some other stickers such as "Type R" and "GTX" will make your boat go faster too.

:)

.... i so totally want yer damn boat dude. plexi, toys, clean isntalls... you've got it goin on in a good way.
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    ahhh... i gotcha...

well then you've got no problems kimosabi.

however, you do realize that if you turn the kicker logo around so it is "right side up", that will increase your boat's horsepower by 15. also, adding some other stickers such as "Type R" and "GTX" will make your boat go faster too.

:)

.... i so totally want yer damn boat dude. plexi, toys, clean isntalls... you've got it goin on in a good way.

What kinda HP do I gain if I have a big black and yellow POLK MOMO decal
    made to run down the length of the boat on each side? :)

Wait till you see photos, then you can tell me if it's truly a clean install. I think
    it's good, but you guys may think it's just "ok" :)
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2006
    no, polk/MOMO is too classy to give you an HP boost, you really need the 'v-tech' stickers or some chrome to do that...

and yeah, when do we get pix?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    True about the decals :)

Pix after I charge the thirty thousand batteries my farking camera takes... :)

It's a chore to use my camera, damn shame since it takes photos out of this
    world! :)

You will see some this weekend I promise :)
  • HiPerf360
    edited February 2006
    Red-

Can you mount the head unit in the cabin?

I would still be concerned with the unit in the dash without a water proof cover as it can easily get wet in a rain shower or when you are washing the boat...

I will be installing a new system in mine within the next month so an I will install the head unit in the cabin and use a remote to control it from the transom and helm.

I will be pulling it out of the shop tomorrow night to get ready for a poker run this weekend so I will take some photos.
  • HiPerf360
    edited February 2006
    Your screws should be fine for your application unless you do a lot of boating in 3+ foot seas.
  • Red230SX
    edited February 2006
    HP360,

I will probably see some 3+ Foot seas in Erie but that will not constitute the
    majority of my boating. I will keep after the screws and if I see any issues I
    will through bolt them.

I don't want to install the head unit in the cabin, there is no "clean" way for
    me to do so without major drilling, cutting etc. I have a full Bimini with filler
    if it rains, washing I can cover the head unit with one of those stretchi saran
    wrap thingines.. (the one's with elastic in them). ???

I dunno....
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2006
    *thoughts*

you could just get some 1/8" thick plexi, cut it out to be a little bigger than the headunit, then cut sides for it so you have a plexi box that's like 8 inches long by wide and about 1 inch tall with no "top" on it... epoxy it all together so its clean and screw-less... then get two little hinges so it flips up so you can play with it and adjujst it and use it and put cd's in... and then put some thin foam weatherstripping around the edges of aforementioned plexi-cover and call it a day...

that's a lotta work, but it would be bother functional and pretty. --- and probably not cost you more than 10 or 15 bucks (5 to 10 bucks for el-cheapo plexi at home depot --- and 5 bucks for a good twin tube of 5 minute 2 part epoxy from an autoparts store).
  • Red230SX
    edited March 2006
    I just got a 2006 West Marine Catalog (OMG it's HUGE!) and they have a
    radio enclosure that is basically a smoked arcrylic "bubble" that I think will
    work out good. When it's open there is nothing below the radio sticking out to
    interfere with the opening of the dual display. It's not the best looking enclosure
    but it will work. I may go that route...
  • Red230SX
    edited April 2006
    I just wanted to post a breif update.

I couldn't find a "waterproof" radio faceplate that would clear the mechanism
    of the DEPP9600MP so I just fabbed up a flat plate that had the same size
    and shape as the original enclosure (used it as a template) and I cut a new
    flat plate out of 1/4" Smoked Lexan and I painted the back side of the Lexan
    black. Turned out fantastic!

I know, I really, really need to take pics! :)
  • deepinya
    deepinya Posts: 199
    edited April 2006
    How dare you post without pics.

BAN!