Gas prices pissing you off???

Options

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    gmorris wrote:
    That's a stupid thing to say. I live in Akron, Ohio and work in Cleveland, Ohio. Since you're not stupid or lazy, look that up on a map. Tell me, how am I suppose to use public transportation that doesn't exist? There is no train or bus service from Akron to Cleveland for a commuter.

I also can't carpool, because no one I work with lives near me.
    Damn man, lighten up! That wasn't even directed at you. You missed the whole point of his post though, nice...

That's just it - we NEED a good public transportation system. We don't have one (hence the reason why YOU can't use one).

We need to invest in good public transportation everywhere it's beneficial to do so. I don't know about where you live - but we really need a better system in the Dallas area - our DART system just doesn't cut it.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Bart does not cut it either. It costs wifey like $14.00 a day to go to the city for work.
    N.Y. has the system, $2.00 anywhere. More people would try Bart if it was $2.00.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2005
    Options
    gas prices are high because of the president...

not because people are driving sub-15mpg monster trucks/SUVs for an hour to and from their house in the suburbs to work everyday :rolleyes:

i can guarantee you most of the population of the rest of the world would give anything to have this horrible lifestyle we have here everyday, including this terrible high gas price epidemic.

the *huge* disparity between the standard of living in the U.S. and most of the rest of the world is closing fast because of the typical American mindset of "entitlement" and not wanting to work hard.

i know most people here don't fit that mold but that's my gut feeling for the typical low-income worker in the U.S.

My father works at the office at a government assisted housing apartment complex. Everyday he has tenants come up and beg for extensions on their $20 monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment. These same people when evicted are the ones with plasma tv's in their living rooms. Hell, some of the tenants actually get PAID to live there. Make me f'ing sick.

ok, i'm done with my rant whew... :D
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    Damn man, lighten up! That wasn't even directed at you. You missed the whole point of his post though, nice...

That's just it - we NEED a good public transportation system. We don't have one (hence the reason why YOU can't use one).

We need to invest in good public transportation everywhere it's beneficial to do so. I don't know about where you live - but we really need a better system in the Dallas area - our DART system just doesn't cut it.

Whoops, you are correct sir. I certainly did miss the point of that. My apologies.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2005
    Options
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2005
    Options
    No, not really, company gas card. :)
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Sorry, but Americans are some of the hardest working people in the world. "Some" European nations have workers that work an average of "25 hours or so" a week and take 3-4 months a year off. The average American works 45-50 hours a week and is lucky if they can take a week or two off each year. I myself work 60-65 hours a week and that doesn't include the commute to work and back home which adds another 11/2-2 hours a day to that. I'm sure there are plenty of lazy people in the US that feel entitled, but most are hard working people.

Hell, I just took my first vacation in over 15 years and it was for only 9 days.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Hmm, I've spent most of the year working on projects for European companies and none of them were working 25 hour weeks. The minimum we saw was around 50. On guy stayed there from 6AM to 9PM 6 days a week.

The companies I did the projects for were based in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and France. Maybe the rest of the countries are lazy...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Europeans work an average of 25 hours a week and take 3-4 months a year off.

I find this *extremely* hard to believe.

Regardless, my comments are more directed towards developing countries like China and India.

Also, as I said, I know everyone here isn't like that. I just know that there are lots out there who are.
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Here we pay $3.18 per galon... the goverment will increase the fare by 10% any time soon...
    <|>
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    Options
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Hmm, I've spent most of the year working on projects for European companies and none of them were working 25 hour weeks. The minimum we saw was around 50. On guy stayed there from 6AM to 9PM 6 days a week.

The companies I did the projects for were based in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and France. Maybe the rest of the countries are lazy...

I never said they were lazy and I should have said it was the Nordic nations. I saw this on a PBS show a few years back and things may have changed since the Europeans have basically combined their economies in order to compete. I just was upset when another post was saying that Americans, excluding us Club Polk members, are lazy. I shouldn't have such knee-jerk reactions.
  • ND13
    edited August 2005
    Options
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04333/417837.stm

http://www.careerjournal.com/myc/workabroad/20041123-sterling.html

http://www.fedee.com/workinghours.shtml

http://itotd.com/index.alt?ArticleID=351

http://www.libraryspot.com/know/workweek.htm

Things have changed over the last few years in Europe, but from what I just read they still don't work as many hours as the average American and are limited to a max of 48. They also get mucho paid vacation time. As you can see from the chart in the third link, the Netherlands is still in the low 30s per week for all workers. Some of that has to do with their weather I'm told.

I'll try to find out what show that was on PBS. The show was basically trying to show Americans that other nations have a nice standard of living and don't kill themselves in doing it. They are much more productive while at work, because they are much more rested and not burned out.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I blame hippies!

Ya know we havent built a new nuclear plant in this country in 30 years?!

Ya know we havent build a new oil refinery in this country in 25 yerars?!

Ya know there is 30 years worth of oil in Alaska?!

Ya know there is believed to be the largest oil find in history in the Gulf of Mexico?!

3 guesses who is standing in the way of this. Stinking rotten hippies in the environmentalist wacko movement.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    /in my best Cartman voice

I hate hippies...
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Here (CR) we work around 54 per week... only a 2-week vacation per year... we make no more than one third of the salary of a Burger King employee (in the US)... BUT WE HAVE TO PAY AS MUCH FOR THE GAS AS YOU GUYS DO...

Sucks to live here... :mad:
    <|>
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2005
    Options
    My thoughts are quite complex on this matter, visualize this!
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited August 2005
    Options
    MacLeod wrote:
    I blame hippies!

Ya know we havent built a new nuclear plant in this country in 30 years?!

Wrongo- http://www.pplweb.com/ppl+generation/nuclear+plants/ppl+susquehanna.htm

This ones within 10 mi of me.

Heyhey! Here's another one around Phila-

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/at_a_glance/reactors/limerick.html
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Buy a diesel and get a conversion kit so the vehicle runs on vegtable oil. Problem solved. Your exhaust smells like french fries, but what the hell...it's free. You can stock up at your local chinese restaurant.
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2005
    Options
    CrBoy wrote:
    Here (CR) we work around 54 per week... only a 2-week vacation per year... we make no more than one third of the salary of a Burger King employee (in the US)... BUT WE HAVE TO PAY AS MUCH FOR THE GAS AS YOU GUYS DO...

Sucks to live here... :mad:

CrBoy...please excuse my ignorance...what does CR stand for? Costa Rica? Croatia?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I did a comparison of Ethanol 10% (E10) and regular gas and worked a spreadsheet to check on cost/return. 4540 miles on E10 averaged 18.15 mpg. 4494 miles on regular averaged 19.33. Extrapolating out the numbers showed that I had to burn an extra 15 gallons of E10 to travel the same distance.

Even if E10 were 8 cents cheaper over regular gas (which it isn't now), over the 4500 mile trial I'd still save $18.50 by burning the "more expensive" regular gas. Ethanol has lower energy output per unit of mass. Diesel on the other hand has more energy than gasoline. I'd seriously consider a diesel these days for my next car.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Sean,

The woman comment was tongue-in-cheek, just like the Iraqi oil flowing any day now comment.

People WHO CAN, don't seem to want to carpool or use mass transit. Their loss. I only wish I could ride something like the N.Y.C. subway system to work here in Jersey. I have very fond memories of taking the subway from Brooklyn into Manhattan every day for about two years, right out of high school. For 50 cents, you got from point A to point B, and then there was the show.

We're selfish, and don't want to be inconvenienced in the slightest. AND DAMN, whoever made the post about people being more interested in Terrel Owens and the Filthadelphia Eagles than anything else, AMEN BROTHER!!!!! You should try being within 30 miles of that shithole city and the knuckleheads that inhabit it. I light candles and pray that someone will blow his freakin' head off on live tv when he's "granting" an interview in the circus that is outside his front door. Now THAT is only about 10 miles from here in Moorestown, N.J. Don't be surprised if you are watching one of said interviews, and all of a sudden a large, white, Chevy Caprice Brougham LS (shark-like) starts parting the crowd ala The Blues Brothers and the ****'s on the bridge. With Eat Me from Animal House painted on the side, just for the occasion.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Options
    nadams wrote:

Those are the dates the plants went online. Theyd been built for years before. They dont just switch them on as soon as they get built, it takes years to hire a crew and train them.

My pop retired from Sequoyah Nuclear Plant here in Tennessee. When he started the plant had been built several years but was still not online as they were preparing the crew and generally getting everything in order to go. Aint like just flilpping a switch. ;)

So those that went online in 83 had probably been built since 80 or 79. So to get technical, it hasnt been 30 years....only 26. :rolleyes:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited August 2005
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    They are much more productive while at work, because they are much more rested and not burned out.
    Productivity really is the key. Here in America people go BS'ing around and not doing real work. Hours on the job are totally different thing than hours actually working. Also most people do work 40h or more a week, 48 weeks a year. Those who have short days and weeks are the ones on low paying jobs where they barely make enough to afford rent. Also, I worked the same hours in Europe I work here and I get the same vacation hours (right now at 4.5wk + 1wk personals). And in here it is expected you use your sick days (2wk) when in Europe you most of the time went to work even sick. So that's 7.5wk of time off if I would decide to use the sick days.

Where else do you see drive-through this, drive-through that? Where else do you see 300lb ladies circling 30min around the parking lot trying to find the closest space to the front door at their local buffet instead of parking a little further and walking from there? You also don't see people driving their bike (as in bicycle, not motorcycle) to work or to grocery store, or walking a mile to catch a bus. I quess it all starts from childhood when you get to ride the school bus instead of walking or riding a bike to school.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2005
    Options
    OR, the fat lady has a handicapped placard or license plates. The only handicap these folks have is they never met a freakin' cheeseburger they didn't like. THAT is the one that gets me real fired up.

Handicapped parking spots at the flea market. You have to park in the first row? What, you're just not going to be able to WALK AROUND ALL MORNING unless you get that handicapped spot? I see those folks getting out of the car, if they're not in a wheelchair, or obviously impaired in some way, it is BOTH BARRELs baby!

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited August 2005
    Options
    LOL, now that reminds me of my personal favourite, "convinience wheelchair". I have actually seen people shopping in wheelchairs and then when they find something they might like, they stand up and take a few steps to get a closer look... :eek:
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2005
    Options
    wow, just went up to $2.69 here for the cheap stuff. DAMN YOU!!!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited August 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:

Nope, not at all.

The state of Louisiana was projecting a huge budget deficit for the next fiscal year with a commensurate cut in state services (like, for instance, EDUCATION). Remember, states do not have the luxury of deficit spending like the federal government. If oil prices remain at or close to current levels, Louisiana will realize a substantial budget surplus next year. :)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Toxis wrote:
    wow, just went up to $2.69 here for the cheap stuff. DAMN YOU!!!

I wish it's $2.69 here....$3.15/gallon for 87 octane self-serve unleaded here in San Francisco. :mad:

Skynut.....I take BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) everyday to and from work. I sincerely believe that the Bay Area has one of the better developed public transportation system in this country, yet the people who runs these agencies could care less because there is no incentive to improve. BART is raising fares soon and for those of us who don't want/can't afford to pay the upcoming $4.00 bridge toll (due to cost overruns on the building of the new Bay Bridge -- yeah, right), there's no other choice. All these public transportation agencies can be more efficient, but they just don't want to.

The lack of an all-encompassing energy policy, from the horrible designs of roadways to the lack of implementation of fuel efficiency standards, is now catching up with us. A prudent energy policy must be the top priority of our government, and we should hold the politicians to that task.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out here in the oil patch, my business is experiencing double digit growth and record profits. No I'm not in an oil related field. Yeah, it costs a little more to get shipments out here, but I remember the boom/bust in this region in the early '80s and personally know hundreds of friends that went hungry when oil dropped down around $10-$12/barrel and we were hurt for over 10 years.

What goes up, finds its way back down.

Compared to Aquafina that each and every one of you have consumed at around $10-$11/gallon, gas is cheap.

Go back to work, earn a buck and stop bitchin'.

I've seen just enough recent stories on Niger, Iraq, Indonesian tsunami victims etc. to keep my life in perspective and realize that I can't think of another country that I would want my family to be a citizen of.

If ya can't afford the gas, sell your audio gear on the FM, I'll pickup on it. :D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    Options
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050814/ap_on_hi_te/hybrid_tinkerers;_ylt=AkO2ZPgm6IT9BAZQjrxurR2s0NUE;_ylu=

How ironic that politicians and automakers are saying it will take years to get the technology rolling and then you get guys like this and they do it in their garage. We already have the technology for hybrids and these guys say that automakers will only have to add $6,000 to a car's price tag.