Gas prices pissing you off???

Options

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2005
    Options
    CrBoy wrote:
    I was wondering how much money do you guys spend in gas per week...?
    I'm spending about $60-80+ per week driving 800-1200 miles a week.....
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I spend about $65 a week...well, my company spends it...
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited August 2005
    Options
    about $50 a week...
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I filled my truck up yesterday - $85, both tanks. Lasts for about a week. I can't wait for heating season :rolleyes:
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I have to laugh at folks in this country who complain about gas prices. We have the cheapest gas in the western world. The bottom line is this: the U.S. concsumes 25-30% of the worlds fossils fuels and we have something on the order of 2-3% of the worlds reserves. We cannot and will not drill our way out of this problem people. I'm an Alaskan and I get a check every year that was originally based on the wealth from the oil. Now the permanent fund dividend (thats what the check is called) is based more on stock prices than on oil. Why? Because the oil up here is running out! It is not a renewable resource. Oh, and those creatins who say we should be drilling in the Arctic Refuge have no idea what they are talking about. There is only enough oil in the refuge to last about 6 months based on our rate of consumption. Even if we started drilling today, the oil would not be to market until 2015.

Personally, I think the higher oil prices are fantastic. As an Alaska and an American I'll benefit in two ways. One is immediate: the state of Alaska will and is making money hand over fist with oil prices this high. Secondly, only when Americans feel the pain in their wallet will we start to truly try to ween ourselves off of the oil teat. We have some of the smartest, most ingenous people in the world here. We WILL find alternatives to oil, but only when our government is forced to do so because of economics. And it certainly wont happen with a president and congress like the one we have now. Americans are lazy and its time we started leading the world away from oil so we can tell all of those wack jobs in the middle east where to stick there oil. So I say I hope the price of oil keeps going up, up up!!!
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,855
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Take your check and put it where the sun doesn't shine!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Well it is certainly nice you and your state are making money off of this situation while the rest of us are suffering. Gas prices alone do not make me whine, but when coupled with the small (if any) pay increases in the last few years and taxes through the roof in Indiana (still low compared to some areas) it really makes things tough. For many, buying a new hybrid is not an option. The people who are strapped the most can only afford to buy an older used car. This gas increase affects them most, both because their cars typically run at lower efficiencies, and because new, more effecient cars are not an option. In addition, the increases in price make up a much higher percent of their available cash because of their lower income.
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited August 2005
    Options

:p
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Like they say, we don't care what they do up north!! I don't care what they pay somewhere else, I used to pay .99 cents a gallon at one time(not recently of course) , Now its heading towards 3 bucks... I can complain.. I pay it, but i can still **** all i want :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2005
    Options
    oh, its ok, the have's don't really mind and the have not's, well, seems its been quite a while since somebody really cared about them if anybody really ever did.

Wife and I are getting buy on about 20 gal a week, were lucky, not to far from work.
  • jgido759
    jgido759 Posts: 572
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Costs about $70 a week to fill my Saturn and go to work (60mi. each way!). And that is not counting the $40 to fill the Explorer. What really sucks is that NJ is expecting a 14 cent gasoline tax increase in January '06. :eek:
    Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
    group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
    -Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    -Unknown

My DVD Collection
  • pmckeealaska
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Um....I'm still "suffering" like the rest of the country. I'm paying $2.80 a gallon here in Seward Alaska. The state may be making money off of the oil, but it doesnt translate into lower gas prices for us at the pump.

And as far as F1nuts comment about where I should stick my pfd check. How can I respond to such a dazzling intellectual retort. You must have missed my comment that the pfd check is based on stock prices, not directly on how much oil money the state is making. It seems that the only time the rest of the country cares about Alaska is when they want the oil we have. I personnally will do everything I can to make sure the Arctic Refuge stays locked up. There is not enough oil to make any difference in the price of gas or our dependence on foriegn oil. The only solution is to get off of oil. I just cannot believe how much americans are whining about the price of gas. It's still cheap compared to anywhere else in the world except the middle east. Like I said, I'm all for it continuing to rise if that is what it will take for us to pull our heads out of our arses and do something about our addiction to oil.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Yeah, but for the pump price to increase $.45 in one hour, which seems to be the case every Thursday here, is ludicrous and nothing more than price gouging. By Saturday, the price will go back down to $2.50 or so. They do it because they know that the majority of people get paid on Thursday or Friday, period.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The cost of gas hurts the whole economy. No one has money left over to spend on stereo exuipment or new t.v. or even going out to dinner as that would mean using some of that precious pink stuff.
    As for Alaska, I had heard they received some kind of subsidity for having no jobs and nothing to export except oil and trees. So it would stand to reason that everyone in Alaska would like to see the oil stocks go through the roof so they can receive more money for not contributing to the country as a whole.
    Nice to see how you feel up there.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I didn't miss a thing in what you wrote and responded in kind to your absurd post.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pmckeealaska
    edited August 2005
    Options
    My post is absurd F1nut? Why because I'm calling for this country to get off of our dependence on oil? Why is that absurd? Sounds logical to me.

And Skynut...have you ever actually been up here? You have come to your conclusions about what Alaska does or does not contribut to the rest of the country how? Because it certainly want the result of research. You know nothing about this state, which is typical of most Americans. I have no problem with Alaska doing its fair share to contribute to our countries oil needs, but the time is coming very soon that we are going to need a new source of energy.

And FYI...Alaska has many contributions to the U.S. and the world as a whole beyond just oil and trees. We have one of the worlds leading climate change research facilities up in Fairbanks as well as a renowned biomedical facility studying ways to help prevent and cure Alziemers among other diseases. We provide thousands of tourist an oppourtunity to see what the rest of the country used to look like before people swarmed like locusts over the land. Toursim is a multi-billion dollar industry up here. There are many other examples. Take the time to look into it before you ragged on Alaska.

And just for the record, I would be glad to give up my pfd check if it meant that this country could get off of its oil addiction. As it stands, the check is about $900 a year now. I guess thats better than nothing, but noone is getting rich on it.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Personally, I think the higher oil prices are fantastic.

So I say I hope the price of oil keeps going up, up up!!!

Those two lines say enough about your absurd position concerning oil prices affecting the entire country.

President of Club Polk

• hellohello
    hellohello Posts: 428
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Skynut wrote:
    some of that precious pink stuff.
    whats that?
    Picking ones nose signifies a strong sense of self discovery :)

System in the works: ;)
    PP 6V6 with 12ax7 pre ~ 20 watts
    15" Jensen MOD 8ohm ~ 97db SPL
    DiMarzio HS3 and/or Tone Zone S
  • pmckeealaska
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Quoting those two lines without the reasons behind it is ridiculous. I'm trying to say there is a good side to these rising prices. Why do you refuse to acknowledge it? Do you think oil is a renewable resource or something? I'm not jumping for joy over high oil prices, I'm just saying I think its a good thing if it leads america to rid itself of its dependence on a resource that will run out eventually. What is your solution F1nut? Should we just continue to drill and drill until ever last drop of oil is gone? Then what? What I'm saying is that we have choices, and I believe in the genius of american knowhow to figure out a way to other choices. I personally get no benefit out of higher oil prices and have to the pay the price just like everyone else.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I was wondering how much money do you guys spend in gas per week...?
    On average, $150 a week, those dang SUV V8 4x4's can suck it up, but like Wodom1, it's all paid for by my company.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,713
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Here ya go, some light reading.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/25/pf/gas_gripes/index.htm

I'll decline comment.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pmckeealaska
    edited August 2005
    Options
    the previous link only supports my views that americns are spoiled. 'm, some rock group will have to cut back on touring or "I had to trade in my BMW for another model"....please. Its high time that we realize we cannot just sustain our standard of living indefinately without consequence.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    No, what is ridiculous is that you said them and believe that higher prices are a good thing, for whatever reason. I don't have a solution, never said I did and I don't see that you have one either. I do know this, as it stands right now, there is no practical alternative. Sure, the oil may run out one day, but that's going to be a long time coming. In the meantime the oil companies are raping us at the pump with absolutely no justifcation other than greed.

President of Club Polk

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'm an Alaskan and I get a check every year that was originally based on the wealth from the oil. Now the permanent fund dividend (thats what the check is called) is based more on stock prices than on oil......... So I say I hope the price of oil keeps going up, up up!!!

Great love it hear it a check for oil, :rolleyes: then I think we all of us living in states off the Gulf of Mexico can also get a check when we have to start drilling for oil in the Gulf. :p

I can just see the money rolling in now, :rolleyes: what to buy, what to buy. It may be more $$ then I could spend :eek:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Here's just another example of the gouging. When I got to work this morning the pump price at the Speedway that my dealership uses, across the street, was $2.45. One hour later it was $2.89 and about two hours ago the price was $2.63. So, you're going to tell me that there wasn't, JUST A LITTLE, gouging going on. PAALEEZE!!!!! Why must the big oil companies have to set record profits during times like these. Why? Because there are only 1 or 2 American owned oil companies remaining. The foreign owned companies, while never openly admitting, are basically giving us a taste of what most of the world has had to pay for their fuel.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 517
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Stop the damn whinning. Sell some of those damn dvd's & speakers, and go buy some friggin gas, ya ****!! :p:D
    Everytime I think I'm out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN!!!!!!

Polk 70's,40,30's
    Velo DLS 3500 Sub
    JVC 61" HD-ILA
    Sony DA4ES AVR
    Oppo 981 DVD
    Sony CDP-CX235 CD
    Signal Bi-wires
    AR ProII IC's
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The solution is simple, drill for oil wherever we find it and let technology and the free market continue to develop and alternative source, which they will.

And more and more scientists are believing and signing on to the theory that the Earth actually MAKES oil as a byproduct of all the processes that go on in the Earths core.

I mean think of all the oil that weve used so far and of all the oil that we know about thats just lying there and about the billions of gallons that are pouring into the ocean for the floor. How many fossils can there be?!?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Skynut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I'm doing my part by buying a Diesel guzzler. :D
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • pmckeealaska
    edited August 2005
    Options
    It appears that anything I see is going to be seen as a slight by F1nut. I dont think its ridiculous to hope that higher prices for gas will lead to a quicker solution away from oil. That is all i'm saying. It seems perfectly reasonable to me, but for some reason F1nut seems to think I'm nuts for suggesting it. I dont jump for joy at the prospect of paying $3.00 a gallon for gas, but most of the rest of the world pays MUCH more, so who are we as americans to complain about what we pay, except for the fact that we have been spoiled by paying so little for gas all these years. We already have the highest standard of living of any place in the world. We never have to worry about going hungry for the most part, but by God if we have to pay a little more to fill up the Hummer, then the world is coming to an end.

Oh, and by the way, there are soultions. There is no ONE soultion, but there are several out there that could be a start.

1. Biodiesel

2. Hybrid vehicles.

3. Maintaining proper tire pressure. This one kills me. We could save more gas by doing this then we could ever get out of drilling in the arctic refuge.

4. Mandatory higher mpg requirements for all new vehicles made in the U.S.

So there you go. I've been told I offered no solutions. Well there are 4 that seem reasonable and doable right now. If some on this forum think they are not, I would sure like to know why. Bottom line is, I believe in american know-how. We as a country can find solutions to this problem, but probably not until we are forced to do so, hence my lack of concern about higher gas prices.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    NAD T763 Reciever

Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • Skynut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Perhaps it could become a biodiesel guzzler
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking